Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

That's right, folks! We're back with another traditional RPG, another one from Square (back when they were known as Squaresoft), and another SNES RPG. This time, I'll be doing Final Fantasy VI, which was originally released in the US as Final Fantasy III, but received an updated version on the GBA, much like Final Fantasy IV did. There's an updated translation here, too, if you were wondering.

We're sticking with screenshots, as I'm still afraid of change, with videos for boss battles, a few .gifs here and there, and I'll be covering the entire game, all the way up to all the added bonus content. It's a level above the extra stuff in Chrono Trigger, and about on par of that which was added to Final Fantasy IV Advance, but you might think differently, and we'll be sure to cover it so you can form an opinion.

Hasn't this been done to death?

Well, vanilla FF3 has been done to death, but FF6A hasn't had a ton of coverage. There's an alright LP of it in the Archive, SSLP format, if you'd rather read that, but I realized that when I get this added to the Archive, there will be six LPs of FF6, and I feel if I don't let that come to fruition, then I'm doing the world an injustice.

There's an assload of characters, right?

Hell yes there are. There are fourteen playable characters, and that's another reason why I'm looking forward to doing this. See, I love it when we get to rename characters, and each and every person that can have their name changed, will! And it'll be up to you guys to determine their names. Our first vote for a name change will come at the end of the first update!

What's your spoiler policy here?

If we haven't seen it in the LP, don't talk about it. Period. I don't want to see any spoiler tags talking about future events, I don't want to see any of that wink wink, nudge nudge crap where you're dropping spoilers while acting coy about it; I don't want anything spoiled for people who haven't played the game before. There's going to be a few people reading this thread who haven't played the game and know nothing about it, and I'd like to keep them surprised as we go through the story.

Update Schedule?

Eh, probably more often than not. I've some sort of LP'ing related neurosis, so I update far too often for my own good. Then again, my wife will be giving birth soon, so maybe I'll start to update like a reasonable person. Or maybe I won't. We'll just have to see! I'll announce when I update on Twitter, and I don't tweet about much else, so don't worry about me spamming your feed with silly poo poo.

With all that said, let's get started.

Update One: The Mysterious Girl
Update Two: The "Treasure Hunter"
Update Three: The Semantics!
Update Four: More Screenshots Than Grains Of Sand
Update Five: Son Of A Submariner!
Update Six: This Is The Last One For A While, I Swear
Update Seven: Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Update Eight: Many Bothans Gave Their Lives For Her To Be Here
Update Nine: Seafood Soup!
Update Ten: Clothes Really Do Make The Man
Update Eleven: Aren't You A Little Short To Be An LP'er?
Update Twelve: Rapid Raft Rides To Ridiculous Rinky-Dink Resolutions
Update Thirteen: A New Companion!
Update Fourteen: Monsters Come In Many Forms
Update Fifteen: Imperial Camp Hoedown
Update Sixteen: Ridin' On That Long Black Train
Update Seventeen: Dark Hollow
Update Eighteen: High Plains Drifter
Update Nineteen: Jack Meets A Hooker
Update Twenty: Did You Forget About Party Switching?
Update Twenty One: Backstory Ahoy!
Update Twenty Two: Get Jidoor
Update Twenty Three: A Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy
Update Twenty Four: Nothin' But Words
Update Twenty Five: Not Quite Our Forte
Update Twenty Six: Mystery! Music! Intrigue! One Of Those Is In This Update!
Update Twenty Seven: To New Lands
Update Twenty Eight: This Update Brought To You By A Calm-ish Baby
Update Twenty Nine: This Is What Factories Sound Like In My Mind
Update Thirty: Highway To The Danger Zone
Update Thirty One: Square: "I Don't Know Nothin' 'Bout Birthin' No Babies!"
Update Thirty Two: A Slam-Dancin' Update
Update Thirty Three: Oh, Crap, Do I Remember How To Do This?
Update Thirty Four: The Sealed Gate
Update Thirty Five: Give Me The Beat Boys
Update Thirty Six: Nathan Is A loving Idiot
Update Thirty Seven: Twin Peaks Secret Keeping, This Town Is Not
Update Thirty Eight: This Girl Was On Fire
Update Thirty Nine: How Many Video Game Mountains Have I Climbed?
Update Forty: Pour One For The Homies
Update Forty One: Honorable General Leo
Update Forty Two: Top Gun
Update Forty Three: A Living Weapon
Update Forty Four: The End Of The World As We Know It
Update Forty Five: Maybe It's Not Completely Ended
Update Forty Six: A Light In The Darkness
Update Forty Seven: Mobliz, Mo' Problems
Update Forty Eight: Disguise Isn't Who He Says He Is
Update Forty Nine: Tangled Tentacle Throwdown
Update Fifty: Tomb Of The Unknown Gambler
Update Fifty One: Opening The Ruined World
Update Fifty Two: Bah Humbug, Bah Humbaba
Update Fifty Three: Resident Evil: Operation Jidoor
Update Fifty Four: Are You Not Entertained
Update Fifty Five: Gotta Get Back, Jack's Coming Back, Samurai Jack
Update Fifty Six: Kupopo!!
Update Fifty Seven: Frozen Wasteland Warzone
Update Fifty Eight: The Lair Of The Yeti
Update Fifty Nine: I'd Love Some Flavor Aid!
Update Sixty: Welcome To The Wonderful Triangle Isle

Chapter 1: Narshe Nincompoops
Chapter 2: Figaro Fools
Chapter 3: Koltz Klutzes
Chapter 4: Lethe Lummoxes
Chapter 5: Figaro Freaks
Chapter 6: Doma Dummies
Chapter 7: Phantom Forest Pfatheads
Chapter 8: Zozo Zsuckers
Chapter 9: Vector Villains
Chapter 10: Magitek Monstrosities
Chapter 11: Magitek Monstrosities
Chapter 12: Floating Foes
Chapter 13: Ruined Rabble Rousers

Lakitu Alphonsa's Missed Monsters
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight

Yapping Eevee Bonus FF XIV Boss Fight Video!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Since I've been playing FFXIV a bunch lately, :ducksiren:I recorded the fight for you folks.:ducksiren: It features very familiar music too... Oh, and pardon the one Steam notification at three minutes in. Something happened that required me to use this take. :ssh:

I was going to commentate this with Leave, but as you all know, he's been busy lately. To summarise what would have likely been said: Eight-person fights are a bit visually cluster-fucky, especially with a low camera angle. Typhon is the real threat as always, but Ultros brings back some familiar moves. The quest that this fight is part of manages to work in just about all of Ultros' memorable lines in one way or another.

Leave fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update One: The Mysterious Girl

Howdy, folks, and welcome! I don't have much to say here, other than we're starting Final Fantasy VI Advance, so let's roll.

We don't have any options here, so we're just going to start a new game.

And we're thrown right into a story.

A story of the fall of the world, of the destruction of a golden age.

Final Fantasy VI is a bit of a steampunk world; a lot of their technology runs on steam power, as well as the usual general medieval level of tech.

There exists a man who wishes to bring back magic power, to return the world to a golden age, one ruled by him, controlled by his use of magic.

Would you have told us all of that if they weren't?

You might be wondering what the hell those guys are walking around in. It's called Magitek Armor, and while wearing it, the user can mimic the effects of magic and use it for offensive purposes.

Biggs and Wedge, soldiers of the Empire, accompany the girl. If you couldn't tell by her unique sprite, she's the one we care about in this scene.

And, yeah, their names are references to Star Wars, as Biggs and Wedge tend to be in Final Fantasy games.

But where's Porkins? Why does nobody care about him?

That's as good an answer as any, I s'pose.

Oh, yeah, the girl back there? She's kind of a big deal.

Just how big of a deal?

A big enough deal that she roasted fifty dudes wearing that kind of armor in three minutes. Hell yes that would make my skin crawl.

But she's wearing some sort of control device, so these two don't have to worry about hitting the KFC in the sky.

Though, that seems a little excessive. C'mon, guys, trust her with the basics.

With that, Biggs, Wedge and the girl roll out, into one of the most badass things ever put on the SNES. Or GBA, as is the case here.

Seriously, check that poo poo out. It's majestic.

Credits will roll during that, but we'll get to those at the end of the game.

They arrive in the town of Narshe, a quiet mining town dusted with snow.

It's good to know we have orders not to annihilate the random people in the town.

But before we go too much further ahead, let's check out our party.

To the left of their names are their job classes; they won't change, but they'll give you an idea about their skills and abilities. The girl is a Magitek Elite, which means she's pretty badass while in Magitek Armor.

Most of these stats are self-explanatory; Strength helps to determine physical damage, Speed is how fast your turn comes in battle, but Stamina is kind of odd. It determines resistance to Death attacks, as well as how much HP is healed from the Regen spell (which we won't be seeing for a looooong time), as well as how much damage is taken from status ailments like Poison or Sap. Magic determines your effectiveness with Magic spells and abilities that are magical in nature, while Attack determines your damage and Defense determines how much you get damaged. Magic Defense is like Defense, but for magic attacks, while the two evasion stats determine your percent change of dodging either physical or magic attacks.

At the moment, all she's really good at is Magic, which is okay by me.

Biggs and Wedge have identical stats, but you'll notice that they don't have the same Magic command that the girl does. She's naturally gifted with magic, an attribute that is extremely rare in this world.

Also, I'm not a fan of the default blue, and there are plenty of other window patterns to pick from.

This is my favorite one, and the one I'll probably be using for most of the game. If not the entire thing.

Though, if you're lucky, I'll roll through a few updates with...Whatever the hell this is. I'll do a few updates with the Chicken Nightmare.

At the moment, there isn't much to do beyond going forward, so let's do that.

We don't get very far before we're stopped by a pair of guards.

As is to be expected in most forms of fiction, the Empire is bad, and anything you can describe as Imperial is also bad.

They charge our party, so let's get ready for a fight!

We get a bit of an odd transition for battles, but I kind of like it.

This game uses the ATB system that a lot of other Final Fantasy games do, where you can watch a bar fill up to a character's turn, but there's an option here to change it to display HP instead of that.

What do you guys think? Do you like the display of their current/max HP, or would you rather see the ATB bars? I'm good with either one, but I think I prefer the ATB bars.

There's not a whole lot to look at here right now, but each of our characters has access to the Magitek and Item menus.

For Biggs and Wedge, their Magitek menu contains these four basic attacks; they're elemental attacks, except for Heal Force, which acts as a Cure spell.

This is Thunder Beam in action. It's a very strong Thunder elemental attack, which I think I just mentioned.

Any of those attacks are going to completely wreck the enemies we'll be encountering here. This is more of a glorified cutscene/battle tutorial than anything else.

As for this big menu here, this is what the girl has access to in her Magitek menu. Bio Blast is a Poison element attack that hits the entire enemy party, while Banisher is an instant death attack; Confuser confuses the enemy party and the Magitek Missile is a loving missile. It's by far the strongest attack we have access to at the moment.

The girl doesn't get a chance to act here, as Biggs and Wedge blow away the guards.

After battle, we earn EXP, which are experience points. When we gain a certain amount, a character will gain a level, which increases their HP/MP and their stats. We can also receive items from defeated enemies, as well as Gil, which is our currency and is needed to purchase items.

Biggs and Wedge both gain levels from this fight.

Potions are the bottom of the healing items, which will restore an entire 50 HP to a single target.

And we get a small amount of cash.

...Wait, that's all basic poo poo. Why did I explain that?

Jeesh. I feel like I just insulted you guys. I'm sorry.

Oh, poo poo, dogs! They look mean!

Oh, gently caress, they're actually wolves!

This is Bio Blast in action; the girl blasts a cloud of poo gas at the enemies.

Which does a bunch of damage, and is more than enough to end any encounter here with no problems.

We also pick up 60 gil, and now I'm wondering where a wolf keeps his wallet.

After dispatching their pets, the guards decide to attack us. I'm not sure why they didn't join the wolves in their attack, but hey, I'm no expert on battle tactics.

The girl pulls a Samus and fires a missile at some poor bastard.

The girl's missiles are our strongest attack at the moment, and it earns extra badass points for being a missile.

And Wedge freezes the last guy to death.

Moving forward, we're accosted by more wolves.

And a couple more guards!

I'm not sure what happened to the other guard, but I don't blame him for running the hell away. Or for taking the other wolf with him.

We're in a pincer attack, which means that an enemy can attack our backside, as the guard is doing to the girl.

It's hard to see, but she was hit for 12 damage, which was doubled, since it was from behind.

Banisher will...Steal their soul? I'm not sure what it's supposed to be doing exactly, but it can instantly kill an enemy.

And here's Healing Force in action.

It heals far more HP than needed.

If not for me doing this LP, I wouldn't have used this here.

The girl activates some sort of sonic blast that targets the enemy party. But since we're in a pincer attack, only one side of the enemy party can be targeted at a time.

You might think we just flipped him around, which we did; that denotes that an enemy is confused, which means they'll attack and use their skills on friendly targets, as well as themselves.

At least, until Biggs blindsides him with a freezing ice beam.

After that fight, the girl gains a level. Sure, her name is displayed as ??????, but there's no way in hell I'm typing that out each time to refer to her.

We move onto the next screen, where the Narshe mines are located.

Before we can get into the mines, though, we have some more guards to dispatch.

Some guards and their, uh, companions.

Their mammothish companions, at that. I'm not sure what the hell that's supposed to be, but it kind of looks like a bear with tusks, and that's terrifying.

In her magic menu, the girl has access to Fire and Cure. Fire is the basic fire element spell, while Cure is the basic healing spell.

When using an offensive spell, the caster will light up with an orange aura.

She then proceeds to light the enemies on fire. Spells can be single or multi-targeted, but some spells are single-target only, while some spells will always multi-target.

Multi-target spells will spread the damage across the chosen targets, and this applies to healing magic as well.

But never mind that when you can fire a missile into someone's navel.

And just like that, we've arrived at the Narshe mines. Let's go find us an esper!

Wait, what the hell is an esper?

I swear, if we find some grey-skinned psychic children, I'm going to be so mad.

Inside the mine, I manage to obscure the girl's head behind some rocks, as I take excellent screenshots and can't be convinced otherwise.

That sparkle spot is a save point.

A strange light fills the air.

Nah, I got this, but thanks, though. At a save point, we can save our game (dur), but we can also use a Tent to fully restore the party's HP/MP, or a Sleeping Bag, to restore a single character's HP/MP.

But, we don't have either of those, so we'll press forward after saving our game.

Straight into a gate. Good thing we've got access to magic laser beams and high explosives.

Instead of using the on-board armaments, Biggs just smashes his face into the gate to break it down.

Oh, yeah, the girl's ponytail will swish back and forth as she walks along. It's kind of neat.

Uh-oh; we're not on the list and this guy won't let us past the velvet rope.

C'mon, I've already killed most of the guys that were supposed to guard the town.

Oh, hell, he's siccing a Russian on us!

...That's not Ivan Drago!

Seriously. I don't think calling a creature a "..." is a good way to identify it. I don't even know how to pronounce that.

Oh, yeah, sure, that clears it all up.

:jerkbag:

A living lightning rod. That's pretty metal.

And it just wanders around with a giant organic battery on its back. That's also metal.

And in comes Biggs, seeming like he couldn't give less of a poo poo.

What's the worst that could happen?

...Megavolt? I don't like the sound of that.

When you strike the shell, Ymir retaliates with a Thunder attack that hits the entire party.

That's a lot more damage than anything else has been able to inflict on us thus far.

The strategy here is to pound the head as hard as you can. You can end the battle by defeating either part, but the Shell has far more HP than the head, with 50,000, as opposed to 1,500. You'll also eat a Megavolt counter each time, which could lead to your rear end being killed if you've queued up attacks incorrectly.

Because, y'know, it's an enemy with a shell, so of course it can retreat into it.

Thankfully, it won't recover any HP while in there, but any attacks directed at the head will automatically switch to the shell when the head retreats.

...Yeah, I timed that poorly.

Which nearly wiped out my party. I don't have any Phoenix Downs at the moment, which restore life, so it's up to Biggs and Wedge to finish the battle.

Also, Thunder affects it just as well as Fire and Ice do. And since I think Thunder Beam looks the coolest of the elemental beams, it's what I use to take him out.

In addition to a basic physical attack (that deals around 10 damage), he can also use Slime.

It inflicts Slow on whoever it hits, as shown by the white outline around Wedge. It makes their ATB bar crawl along and drags this fight out significantly. Especially since he Slowed Biggs right after this.

But, after a few minutes, we wear him down enough to finish him off.

Magitek Missiles are the best way to go about this fight, since they'll do around 400 damage a shot, which will end this fight much, much quicker.

After the fight, we earn a Hi-Potion, which heals 250 HP.

This looks like the chamber we want.

I guess that looks like some sort of otherworldly creature, but I'm no expert.

Oh, crap, it started to glow.

What the hell is that thing?

...I think its waking up.

Uh, what'cha doin'?

That probably isn't good.

Holy crap, Wedge is dead!

He literally just blinks out of existence.

Biggs' fate won't be any different.

However, the girl seems unaffected by the loss of Biggs and Wedge.

:stare:

:staredog:

:ohdear:

Our screen fades to black, but we're not done quite yet. Just a little bit more.

We come to the girl, asleep, while a man enters her room.

She couldn't have been sleeping that hard. She got up pretty quickly when the guy approached.

The crown? Oh, must be the control device.

Her headache is represented by everything going all mosaic. Come to think of it, that's a pretty good representation of a killer headache.

The old man goes over and grabs what must be the crown that was on her head.

Jesus Christ. That sort of thing is always really hosed up to me.

The girl is suffering from amnesia, another common Final Fantasy plot point.

Hopefully, she doesn't remember the part where she torched fifty dudes.

But, for now, let's learn her name and pick out a new one.

We have six spaces to work with. You can use any of the letters here, so BOLD your vote for what we call Terra, and I'll see you all next time!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I'll not be accepting default names for everyone as a blanket vote; if each character is voted that way, then cool.

And, besides, it's been a while since we've named someone Bowser. :colbert:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Well, one of the vote counters on staff just did some tallies for me and it seems that Terra is the biggest vote at the moment, with 16, with the next two highest being at 5 each. They counted all the default votes as a single vote for Terra, so I'm going to go ahead, name her Terra and record the next section.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Two: The "Treasure Hunter"

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI, we woke up the esper that was recently discovered in the Narshe mines, got two of our companions killed, and woke up after our slave crown was removed. From there, we were trying to remember our name. Today, we're going to meet a new character, so let's roll.

Terra was the overwhelming winner, which is her default name. I'm cool with default names for a few of the characters, but c'mon people, let's have some fun with this!

But before that conversation continues, we fade to black.

Where dogs are rushing the house.

And a pair of guards.

Oh, what are you guys going to do? She can kill you with fire from her mind. I wouldn't gently caress with that.

Quick, use your grandfatherly manner to turn them away! Or answer the door naked; it works on the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Oh, yeah, it's that kind of video game amnesia. Beyond the basics, like breathing, speech, and her own name, Terra here doesn't know poo poo.

I'm sure we could explain the magic thing and it would work. Or just demonstrate it.

We'll get there in a minute.

There's this weird thing with clocks in FF6 hiding Elixirs and other stuff. The Elixir is a healing item that fully restores HP and MP for a single character.

With that in hand, I feel confident we can tell these guys to piss off.

They sound like they mean business.

So let's run!

Thanks for your help, guy! I'd stay and chat, but we're busy running!

Oh, thank God, they'll never see us up on this uncovered bridge in the middle of town where we're the only one walking around!

Aww, fiddlesticks.

Thankfully, they don't have any sort of ranged weaponry, so we're safe for the moment.

But they've run off, so we better do the same.

Dashing through the snow

Quick, into the mines! They'll never look there!

Oh, crap, monsters!

For our first enemy of the game, the Spritzer is suitably unimpressive.

For most of their turns, they'll use the basic physical attack.

On every third turn, they have a chance to use Cling, an attack which inflicts Slow.

They really don't like Fire. They're also Undead, so they're weak to Holy and healing magic, too.

They also only have 15 HP, so just about anything we do to it will kill it.

We could probably punch it to redeath, if we had to, for some reason.

We also earn 58 Gil.

Before we go any further, let's check out what Terra is rolling with for her adventure.

Only a knife? Hell, Biggs and Wedge both had Mythril Swords. Terra got hosed on this deal.

Hey, a save point. I may as well save. So much has happened since the last time.

Oh, and we're back to bars. I forgot to switch it earlier.

Wererats have 24 HP, making them a bit stronger than the Spritzers, but not much more challenging.

They can also use Bite, which is a stronger physical.

They're also weak to Fire, but it's good to note that they absorb Poison. Since they're rats.

And that just about sums up the Wererat. They don't always appear in the pincer attack. If they appear normally, just multi-cast Fire and roast them all at once. We also pick up 44 Gil from this fight.

Oh, dammit, I forgot to grab those chests. I was trying to record this next section quickly, so I could get this update out before bed, and I didn't grab them.

Eh, we'll get them later.

Alright, there's a doorway. Let's duck in there. I'd reckon there's a good escape route through there.

Definitely into the door.

Or not.

Okay, they've cornered us, but we probably shouldn't take them all out. We're trying to convince this town that we're not a massive asshat, after all.

Oh, well, I guess that problem's solved.

But that opens up the problem of Terra faceplanting into solid rock after falling however many stories.

She's okay! Man, she is made of tougher stuff.

Alright, let's get the hell--

--into a state of unconsciousness.

Well, if she didn't have brain damage before, she's gotta be close to it by now.

Oh, hey, a memory. That's probably good.

...Or maybe some memories are better left buried.

But this isn't in a creepy sense. At least, not in a traditionally creepy way. More in a "This man will burn down the world" kind of way.

Fast-acting crown. Terra is completely under Kefka's control here.

Which cracks him the gently caress up.

And here's Terra taking down Imperial Soldiers.

I think there are a few identifying markers for psychopaths and we must have hit at least three of them in the last thirty seconds.

Still in the flashback, we meet...Oh, God, it's Hitler.

This guy is the Emperor, the one who wants to bring magic back into the world and do very, very bad stuff with it.

I gotta admit, in a world where there aren't any guns, having magic on your side would be a huge boon.

Hell, even with guns, having magic on your side would be a huge boon.

I can understand these guys loving the man bringing magic back into the world. On this planet, magic was the stuff of legends, the sort of thing that the civilizations of the past were founded on, that they had used to build their golden age.

While that all sounds good, what the average citizens and soldiers likely don't know about are the things like this; innocent women being forced into slavery and destruction to achieve his goals. As we know, the Empire is not good news. We've seen at least one town that wants nothing to do with them, and it's fairly easy to see why. They have war machines unlike anything that's been seen before and are more than willing to use them to pillage and plunder towns that did nothing more than stumble upon something that should have been left buried. To the citizens of the Empire, Gestahl is ushering in another age of peace and prosperity.

But, enough of that. We're back with the old guy.

Who has an interesting house guest, it would seem.

I'm sure that's a bit of a misunderstanding, guy.

Or maybe not.

But, this fellow needs a new name! Which means that I'd like you to BOLD a vote for what we're going to rename our esteemed treasure hunter.

I'll give you a couple of days for that, so get to votin'!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

Speaking of GBA changes, doesn't this let you auto dash also if you look in the options?

Yes it does. And you bet your rear end I have that turned on.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I can't say when the next update will be, as they're inducing my wife today.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I'm a dad.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Queen Asura.

Wait, am I allowed to participate in this...?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Baby has kept her default name.

Locke, however, is now known as Nathan.

If you sons of bitches are lucky, maybe you'll see an update tomorrow. Or late tonight; depends on what the Koopaling gets up to.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Three: The Semantics!

Welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI, Terra tried to escape from the Narshe guards when they discovered that a citizen was harboring her. She ran into the mines and fell through a weak spot, knocking herself unconscious. However, a thief has shown up at the old man's house. Let's roll.

Our thief is named Nathan, after the protagonist of the Uncharted series. I can totally see it.

The old man--Arvis--is right. Indiana Jones was a treasure hunter. You're a thief. :colbert:

Your special in-battle command is Steal! You steal things!

"They tried to tell me to go to rehab, but I said no, no no!"

Good thing you did. I think you're about the only one in town who wouldn't have dragged her through the streets.

Could he mean...!?

It didn't turn out well for the first ones that did. Then again, she had power armor at that time. Power armor changes things up a lot.

...That sounds like a load of horseshit! Three soldiers in Magitek Armor ripped you guys a new rear end in a top hat! And two of those were chucklefucks who only had names so there would be a Star Wars reference!

I'm not sure if I would name my rebel group--alliance, perhaps--the Returners.

In all fairness, Arvis, look at how she came into town. I wouldn't be trusting her, either.

Figaro is a kingdom to the south, so maybe we can get asylum there. If nothing else, the Empire will at least respect that, right?

We fade to black...

...Where Nathan has found Terra's unconscious body.

He doesn't have much time to check out the situation, though.

There's trouble afoot!

Psh, just one guy? Whatever.

We?

Nathan isn't really built for tons of combat. Maybe if he had a machine gun...

Or a little help.

Moogles were first introduced in Final Fantasy III, the Japanese version. They have appeared in basically every Final Fantasy title since then, barring 4, whether it was as some sort of small cameo or a playable character. They were supposed to be in the second game, in the snowy areas, but they were eventually turned into the beavers.

They also appeared in some other Square properties, such as Dragon Quest X, Kingdom Hearts and Secret of Mana.

A feature that is going to come around a few different times in this game is the ability to have several teams operating at once, and you'll have to switch between them to accomplish objectives.

Nah, I pretty much covered it right there.

Since we only have Nathan as a playable character right now, so he's joined by three other Moogles, while the other two teams are completely made of Moogles. They're basically placeholders, so we can't screw with their equipment at all, with one exception.

Before we go any further, let's see what Nathan is carrying around.

He's pretty quick and decently strong right now. He only has a Dagger equipped, as well as a Leather Cap and Leather Armor. He's about as basically equipped as Terra.

The Moogles all have much better weaponry than Nathan does, so their Attack power is a hell of a lot better than his.

As for the one special Moogle...

This is Mog, and for some reason, we can get to his equipment screen. How incredibly odd!

Why, yes, I robbed him of his equipment. He'll be fine. Nathan picks up the Mythril Shield, making him a little tougher, and raising his Evasion to 25, so he's dodging a quarter of the physicals coming his way.

Heading out here, it's a little bit of a maze. Enemies will wander around the map and if you touch them, you'll get into a fight.

I switch over to Mog's party. I'm going to use them to take out most of the enemies on screen, and then Nathan's party to take out the boss.

The Silver Lobos only have 27 HP, so a heavy sneeze will kill them and their progeny.

The Megalodoth is a bit tougher, with 115 HP. They have access to a Snowstorm attack, which hits the entire party for about 40 damage and a boosted physical called Bear Claw, which hurts like a mad bastard.

Molulu uses a flail, while Moghan has a sword, and Moguel uses a boomerang.

In a few attacks, this battle is finished without a problem.

After the battle, in addition to some EXP and Gil, we pick up a new dance!

Dances are Mog's domain and have a wide variety of affects. We'll talk more about them later, but for now, just know they're fairly useful and Mog's special ability.

I wonder why a placeholder character has his own special command...

Cave In is one of the few different effects that the Twilight Requiem dance can pull off. What skill is used is randomly chosen, and I always saw Cave In.

It drops a shitload of rocks on an enemy.

It reduces a target's HP to a quarter of its current amount, and also inflicts Sap, which inflicts damage every 8.5 seconds, up to a maximum of 255.

I thought I'd have more to talk about here, but since Mog didn't show off any other funky-fresh dance moves, we'll just skip over to the boss.

:ducksiren:You can click here to see a boss fight video!:ducksiren:

If you don't want to click that, then read along! Or do both; I'm not worried about it.

The Silver Lobos are here to stretch the fight out another ten seconds or so. The Guard Leader is the big cheese here.

The Leader has a piece of equipment I'd like to snag; it's not integral, but it's nice to have.

Nathan leaps over there and attempts to steal an item. Some enemies will have more than one item to steal, but this guy only has the one. Let me refer to the FF Wiki for more information on that.

Final Fantasy Wiki posted:

There is a 1/8 chance that Locke will steal a rare item, and a 7/8 chance he will steal a common item. If there is no common item in an enemy's common item slot, there is a 7/8 chance Locke will fail to steal.

The formula for stealing is (50+Nathan's level - Target's level)/128. So, Nathan's level is 7 and the Guard Leader's level is 8...

If I did the math right, there's a 38% chance he can steal from this guy.

Eh, we'll get it in time.

This is what happened when the Lobos attacked; I think they hit one time, and never against Nathan.

Hell, Nathan never got hit during the fight. Moglin uses a spear for his attacks, while Moggie has a claw. I'm not sure what Mogret uses, but I don't really care, either.

The Guard Leader has 420 HP.

Charge is his scary move.

He also has a move where he can Slow people in the party, but he never used it here, instead opting to try and smash our Moogle friends out of their fur.

Eventually, I snag the knife and then we beat him to death.

Yeah, the Guard Leader is a glorified Guard, as should be expected. If not for Charge, he wouldn't pose any sort of a threat at all.

We also pick up 410 Gil!

Seriously, if not for them, Nathan would have been disemboweled by the Guard Leader and Terra would have been thrown off the cliff after being pelted with snowballs.

Nate gathers her up and runs off, ready to get her out of town.

Thankfully, she fell into a shaft that was fifteen feet from an exit.

Nathan sets her down.

And presses the switch that tears open a hole in the mountainside. Cool.

Hey, look who's awake!

Well, kind of.

Yeah, the Moogles were pretty key players there.

Yeah, that amnesia shtick isn't going away anytime soon.

Oh, yeah, Arvis didn't mention that.

It very well could!

And you have a bright red earring.

What? I thought we were stating the obvious.

She's wondering why the hell he would do that.

Good! That'd be the dickiest of dick moves.

She...She might not need you, pal. She can light you on fire by thinking about it.

Behind us is a Classroom, a sort of learning center place. I opt not to visit it, since I've covered most of the basics and I'll get them all down as we continue.

But before we continue, we slap on Nathan's new weapon.

From here, we're going south to Figaro.

Figaro is in the desert, so let's prepare for a case of swampass.

But, that will have to wait until the next update, where we explore Figaro Castle.

Stay tuned!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah, I'm going to say there won't be any baby pictures going up.

Thanks for all the support, though! We've appreciated it a lot!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Four: More Screenshots Than Grains Of Sand

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI, Nathan rescued Terra from the clutches of the Narshe guard and escaped to Figaro Castle. Today, we're going to explore that castle and meet the king, so let's roll.

Alright, let's get inside. I doubt the Narshe folks have followed us this far, or that the Empire has figured out we're here, but better safe than sorry.

Oh, great. The scruffy bastard can't--

Can't not get into the castle, is what I was going to say.

We're going straight to the king. No time to waste!

It's a good thing the Koopaling likes to snooze around this time; it gives me time to write updates and play Parasite Eve.

I'd like to have a couple of rows of armor in my house some day. It seems to class up the joint. At the very least, if someone broke in, I'd have a place to hide.

Finally, the goddamned throne room!

Have your hushed conversation and let's get some plot going.

The king is checking her out here. I'm not even kidding.

Admit it, you just wanted her to check out your rear end.

The only thing they don't mention is that the king is also a horndog.

And a new party member, who needs a new name! BOLD your vote for what you name the King of Figaro.

Dude, Terra doesn't remember poo poo. As far as she knows, she's a king.

Nathan and the king confer with each other, but it kind of looks like they're doing a ceremonial headbutt.

Nathan wanders off, whistling Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree.

Okay, I'm not going to blank out his name each time. That's a lot of work.

Ugh, I can see him saying this with a :heysexy: face if he said it to anyone else.

Maybe, just maybe, he's not a total rear end in a top hat?

Maybe a little thirsty, though...

:ughh:

Bit of a weak finish, but maybe he pulled it off.

If it was ever there...

Oh, crap. She's getting all down in the dumps.

In all fairness, she only has about fifteen minutes worth of memories, and has very little baseline for what normal human behavior is. Hell, at this point, she has no memories of interacting with any other women.

But, hey, we're given free reign now, so let's check out what's going on around here.

Okay, now we have free reign.

So, there are a lot of NPCs to talk to around here, a few story points, and a good bit of exploration.

If I were a emperor with access to technology that could conquer the entire world, I'd still settle for just a smallish country. I'd let people know that I wasn't going to use my fearsome tech to completely ruin the world and wreck everyone's poo poo. I'd simply let them know that I had it, and if they tried to take it, I would gently caress them up.

I'd try and let people know that my nation is a fun one; we'd shoot movies there, make music, and our R&D budget would go to discovering new and funky-fresh dance moves.

Oh, yeah, we're also going to commit a few acts of petty theft while we're in the castle.

This is the Final Fantasy revival item and revives a KO'd character with 1/8th of their max HP.

Up top, there's a view of the desert. I didn't see a single drat cactus on the way here, so I don't know what the hell there is to look at.

On either side here are item shops, so let's go browse their wares.

Just the basics here, nothing too fancy.

The item you can't see for sale is a Potion, but we already know about those. Antidotes will cure Poison (gradual health drain), Golden Needles heal Petrify (a status effect equivalent to death), Echo Screens heal Silence (the afflicted character can't cast spells), we just learned about Phoenix Downs, Sleeping Bags will heal one character's HP/MP to full at a save point, while the Tent will do the same, but for the entire party.

Hope you don't mind if we take a free sample.

Over on the other side, the items on sale are a little more unique than what we just saw.

The king's unique command is Tools, where he can use various pieces of machinery to inflict damage or status effects on enemies. The Auto Crossbow is just straight damage that doesn't split among the enemy party. The Noiseblaster inflicts Confusion on the enemy party, unless the foe in question is immune to that status, while the Bioblaster sprays out a cloud of poo gas, much like the ability Terra had while in her Magitek Armor.

There are five other Tools in the game, but we'll get to them when we get to them.

We pull an Antidote out of the other chest and move on.

Man, Terra looks like she means business.

Don't tell anyone else, but there's a flushable toilet in the basement.

But, can't let that get out to the masses.

I dunno, it looks like stone and mortar to me.

This is the library of Figaro Castle, where the nerds scholars hang out.

It's your lucky day! You are talking to the lady for magical shenanigans!

I can't think of something witty here.

Then again, you could point out that I usually don't, but go ahead and act like I did anyway.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask; what the gently caress is Terra wearing? I know it's a sprite, and they're not always clear, but it looks like she has on modified shoulder pads, a teeny-tiny itsy bitsy polka-dot red bikini, and...Boots? Are those boots? I'm going to say they're boots.

I wouldn't want to reveal that much skin in the desert. Can you imagine the horrific sunburn you'd get if you did? There's a reason why you see desert dwellers wearing robes. Not only does it cover more skin to prevent sun related illnesses, but it also helps slow the evaporation of sweat, helping to keep you hydrated, and offers protection against high winds, where sand and other debris can damage your skin. You'll often see those robes depicted as white, and that's because white tends to reflect heat.

Thanks to Keeshhound for helping me hammer out the correct details there; I had most of it right, but conferred with him to make sure it was correct.

He's a very smart man. He's generally known every oddball question I've asked him, and lemme tell you, there's been a lot. I'll often have the base idea, but he knows enough to expand on those and give me a better grasp on what I want to know.

Sure, I could just Google it, but I learn better when someone else is telling me the information. It's why I prefer learning in a classroom as opposed to online classes.

Alright, let's pop back inside and continue exploring.

We head down to the jail cells, where there are a few prisoners hanging around.

I'd like to see them try something.

I'm guessing either they were fighting in a bar, or someone noticed they were harvesting kidneys and leaving people in bathtubs full of ice.

Oh, ew.

It's actually the guy next to you; I'm told the guard uses Febreze every night before his shift ends.

Good for you!

It's hard to get a good shot of it, but Lone Wolf is an actual werewolf. And a reference to a character from Final Fantasy V who, if freed from his jail cell, would steal various treasures before the players could get to them, making them lost forever.

...Engine room? :raise:

Note to self; it's entirely possible that Figaro Castle is, in fact, a giant spider tank masquerading as a castle.

Further note; obtain spider tank for every day use. I'll no longer have to wait in line at the bank with a spider tank.

You've foiled me this time, old man!

I will return and see what's down there!

Mark my words!

MAAAAAAAAAAARK

THEEEEEEEM

Oh, hey, a resting room.

If we needed to be topped off, we could rest here and recover full HP/MP.

Oh, Edgar...So thirsty.

He tried to, but Terra is coooold as ice.

Whether or not she's willing to sacrifice is still up for debate.

Okay, let's get to some other plot stuff.

The old lady is the important one here, but let's see what the youngster has to say.

Now, some people look at this as pretty fuckin' creepy, but I see it more as he was trying to be nice to the little girl.

Okay, it can be a touch creepy since we have no other context for that, but I prefer not to think of the king as a sleazeball.

If we weren't aware yet, the Empire is a bunch of dicks.

Psh, with Spider-Castle, they can take on anything!

Oh, yes, we're onto plot things.

Flashback things!

A little bit of sepia tone, and this would be just about perfect.

Now, these two are the same age. I'm not sure why the youth is confused about his dad dying; you'd think someone would mention that to a prince somewhere along the line.

He's going to the throne in the sky, bud.

I'm not even going to make fun of him here. It's a low hanging fruit and I won't stand for it.

Oh, yes, we need two name votes from this update! BOLD your votes for the naming of the brothers!

I'm sure we'll never find out. Or maybe within a couple of updates. Who knows?

Alright, let's get back to the king. We hit the flag to continue by talking to the priestess.

He must have known that when their dad died, either him or his brother was going to become king. I'm pretty sure that's Princing 101 right there.

Not even going to question the settling of succession by coin flips.

Eh, it's alright. I've seen better. Like this one that had hallways that either led to puzzles or were long-rear end gauntlets.

Who the hell figured out we--

--Oh, crap.

Hey, you're the one who's following them.

I would think that living in a desert would dissuade assholes coming from knocking on your door. Especially since vehicular travel and air conditioning aren't around just yet.

Gee, loving really?

...Oh. These soldiers are his bitches.

Yes, he loving laughs like that. It vaguely gives me the creeps.

gently caress you, it's spooky! Kiss my rear end, you chuckling bastard!

Something tells me that Kefka isn't here on a goodwill mission.

We're now given control of the king, so let's check his stats real quick.

He uses swords, but also has access to a special type of weapon.

That spear we lifted off of Mog? Totally usable for Edgar, and quite the boost to his attack power.

He's strong and tough, and Tools put him a step above the rest.

Wait, aren't you guys allies?

Oh, the soldiers with Kefka are dicks. Imagine that.

Why, yes, I haven't made portraits just yet.

Oh, when will I get around to it?

:dealwithit:

Of no importance, yet someone very important in the Empire was sent after her?

Kefka, you're a poo poo-rear end liar.

So, what, she pilfered your vending machine money? The gently caress outta here; you didn't need those Nutty Bars that day anyways.

You ready for one of my favorite lines in the game?

You can just imagine the look on his face as he says this and the look of impotent rage on Kefka's.

Stand to lose what, exactly? If you attack, then you're attacking an ally.

Then again, the Empire is starting their bid for global domination, so maybe they're not worried about it. Especially with all the magic and power armor they have at their disposal.

With that, Kefka fucks off.

Just far enough away to probably hear everything.

Nathan and Edgar have another conversation that we're not privy to.

Ah, yes, surely a nap will fix this up.

The next line is another I'm a big fan of.

It also involves hitting on women in a piss-poor manner.

Now, we could follow Nathan, but I know where we're going, so there's no reason to.

It's the little bedroom that we passed through earlier. If you've forgotten the way, Nathan is helpful. You can't beat him there, since he'll teleport in front of you,

Seriously, you can leave him in the dust and he'll just pop in here like it was nothing.

Oh, the semantics!

Ah, yes, shout at the poor girl. That'll truly convince her that you just want to protect her.

I still think that's a silly-rear end name, And from what I can find out, they just want to return things to the way they were before the Empire got ants in their pants and started to take over the world.

And since Nathan is one of the two other Returners we've met, of course he's the middle man.

Well, hardly. You were a mind-controlled slave.

Fair enough. Nobody is expecting you to have all the answers right now.

Nathan makes a good point here; Terra might not know what to do, but the important thing is that she starts making the decisions on her own.

And with that, he strolls on outta here.

Maybe we'll find out, Terra. But don't worry about it too much, since you're taking a nap, and we're taking a break.

But during that break, I'll need you guys to BOLD a vote for what Edgar and Sabin are renamed. You'll get a couple of days to do it, so take full advantage of it!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Silegna posted:

Also Bowser and his Twin Brother Leave.

I'll vote for this, too.

What? Nothing says I can't vote. :colbert:

Okay, I'm not actually voting. That'd be a conflict of interest!

Leave fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 5, 2016

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

And hardly anyone had to mention it to me this time!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Leave, did you plan to do Bestiary Entries?

I forgot to reply to this, but throw out those bestiary entries! That's a little more in depth than I do, and that stuff is neat.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Tell you guys what; if you can get Remain within two votes of Bowser in the next two hours, I'll use that name.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

SMaster777 posted:

An announcement from the Leavemywife Vote Tallying Panel:

Remain and Leave are the names for the king and his wayward brother.

This is the truth. Remain and Leave have taken the vote!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Five: Son Of A Submariner!

Welcome back, everyone! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI, Terra and Nathan arrived at Figaro Castle. They met the king, Remain, but shortly after that, Kefka, an Imperial mage, arrived, looking for Terra. Today, we're going to escape from Kefka and Figaro Castle, so let's roll.

Last time, we left off with Terra about to take a nap. Today, we start off with King Remain waking up from one.

He hears something...Odd. Decidedly odd.

Oh, yeah, before I forget to mention it, Remain's twin brother was renamed Leave. I'm sure some of you were in suspense.

Okay, let's see what the hub-bub is--

...Bub? Oh, poo poo, the castle's on fire!

Your castle is on loving fire, you nitwit!

--just arrived. What do you have to say for yourself?

Which one? There's more here than grains of sand...

'course, Kefka wasn't exactly clear. Remain could just go and grab any random girl and could potentially fulfill Kefka's demand.

Maybe one of those soldiers has some advice about this situation.

'kay.

Alright, cool under fire. Good job, guys.

Meanwhile, these two are a Beavis and Butthead reference.

...drat, Remain, you're just going to give her up like that?

And this guy is just cool with it.

Uh, Remain, what'cha doin'?

Remain kneels on the edge and lets out a whistle.

Oh, poo poo, Remain has a goddamned plan!

Psh, Remain ain't no punk-rear end king!

Who the hell is--

Yeaaaaaaah, Kefka, suck it!

Get a better search engine, rear end in a top hat!

Remember what the old guy said in the last update about the castle moving?

Figaro Castle is not a spider tank.

It is, however, a submersible castle, capable of moving through the sand.

Kind of hard to keep a castle on fire when it goes under the sand, huh, Kefka?

Don't give me that look, you schmuck.

...Oh. Kefka doesn't like to lose.

So...Those two had Magitek Armor the whole time? And Kefka complained about sand on his boots, when he could have been riding a mechanical contraption capable of shooting flaming Kamehamehas. What a douche.

Well, looks like we're about to have a boss fight.

:ducksiren:Which is why this video link is here!:ducksiren:

For those of you not clicking that, or if you already have, let's kick some rear end!

So, we start this fight off by being back-attacked. There are two rows in Final Fantasy VI's battle system; the front row offers you full physical damage potential, but you also take full damage in return. The back row allows only half damage taken from physicals, but on the trade-off that you only deal half your normal physical damage. Certain skills, such as Remain's Tools and Terra's Magic, circumvent this, as do certain weapons.

Being a fuckin' laser, this attack gives no shits about your row.

And that attack is frickin' nasty with its damage.

Thankfully, Cure can help mitigate that somewhat.

Like when we were multi-casting Fire, multi-casting Cure will spread the healing among the party, but if I'm going to heal both Nathan and Terra at once, I have to do it. Otherwise, it'd be too easy for one of them to get ganked.

Especially since Terra has much lower HP than the other two.

White Magic has a much more colorful, and less sun of death looking, animation associated with it.

Sure, it's not a ton of healing, but it's enough to keep them alive for a little longer.

Oh, right, Remain has never seen magic before.

Ah, hell, there's a lot of words coming up. Hang on a minute. Lemme make some portraits.

: D-d-did y-y-you just see what I saw? You did, right? Right!?

: Yeah, this kid's really something, huh?

: Really...something? That was magic! MA-GIC!!!

...How did you not loving realize, Nathan!?

Also, those portraits good? It's been a while since I've made some.

...How did you think your wounds magically healed? Or do you think laser blasts are just naturally fast healing?

: Your name was Terra, right? What...what exactly was that just now?

: I'm sorry, I...

It's okay. We're now seeing Nathan dropkick a king.

I can see why some people like him a lot.

: I didn't mean to make such a big deal out of it...

: Nor did I, it just...surprised me. I mean, I've never actually seen magic before! Where did you...?

: It doesn't matter, does it, Remain? Terra can use magic, and we can't. That's all there is to it! The fact is...her magic could really help us right now!

: Thank you, Nathan! Thank you, Remain!

And how do these two goobers react to a pretty lady winking at them?

...How very...Gauche? I'm going with gauche.

How very gauche of you.

Okay, Magitek dudes; thanks for sticking around during that. We'll get back to our previous business.

Being in the back row, as I mentioned, halves our physical damage. These guys have 210 HP a piece, so that's not going to get us anywhere.

Remain's Auto Crossbow, on the other hand, is going to get us all sorts of places.

Auto Crossbow gives no shits about row, split damage, and is unblockable. This is the sort of thing that I'm going to find useful for a loooooong time.

These guys have a powered physical of their own.

It's...Well, unimpressive, even if we're in the front row. It's a hell of a lot better than the laser attack, that's for drat sure.

Nathan and Remain will react to any spell that Terra casts. It just happened to be Cure because that's what I needed at the time.

Even so, this fight isn't difficult by any stretch of the imagination. The dialog during the middle of it lasts longer than the actual fight itself.

Bosses in this game will not give out any EXP upon their defeat. You'll see why later.

After the fight, there's a smattering of dialog.

Oh! Those oversized chickens that we're riding are called Chocobos; they're another Final Fantasy staple, debuting in FF2 and appearing in all subsequent games. They typically serve as some sort of transportation, but have also appeared as summons, support characters, have a couple of dungeon crawler RPGs featuring a chocobo as the main character, and have appeared in many other Square franchises, such as Parasite Eve, the Mana series, and Kingdom Hearts, to name a few.

Just assume that they're giving Kefka the finger as they ride away.

I do.

The line in the SNES version was "Son of a submariner!", which is far more amusing.

Nah, good people try and kill you all the time. It's a little odd, but the customs of other cultures often seem strange to those used to their own ways.

: Like I told you before, we're members of the Returners...

: Would you be willing to meet our leader? Magic is going to be the key to winning this war.

: Magic...

: That esper reacted to your magical powers. There's gotta be a relationship...

: I don't know any more than you do. Those powers just come naturally to me.

...WHAT THE gently caress, REMAIN!?

Jesus Christ, dude! What in the gently caress is wrong with you!?

I can't muster a big enough :uggh: for this right now. I just can't.

That's the best you got!?

: The Empire will be coming after us. They want your powers for their own. And if they get them, the world is done for...Terra, you want to understand your powers, don't you? Then I think you should meet with Banon.He may be able to find out more about why you have them.

: ...

: Please...Remain's right.

: There's a cave just south of here that leads to South Figaro...Let's head in that direction.

That funky tune is what plays whenever you're riding a Chocobo on the world map. When you're on a Chocobo, you'll avoid all random encounters and move a hell of a lot faster. Plus, you get this neat view.

It doesn't last long, as the cave to South Figaro is right here.

And since it's not very long, we'll be going through that today, too.

We could have come here before, but we'd have been turned away.

Well, the cave is kind of south from that castle, so I guess it's kind of South Figaro.

...So...Everyone in the castle is in on you being part of the Returners, or is it just certain guys? Because everyone seemed pretty cool with you potentially murdering Kefka by submerging the castle.

I mean, really, everyone? Just...A whole castle full of people cool with rebellion and not one guy with loose lips?

Uh...Peace out, bro.

Like I said, this cave isn't very long, so we'll blaze right through it.

First things first, this spring is important.

As it's a full heal for everyone.

This is a good chunk of the place already.

But there are new monsters in here.

Starting with giant hornets.

They also have a stronger version of this attack, called Iron Stinger, but it's hardly more powerful.

Edgar's main weapon types are swords and spears, but since he's one of two spear users in the game, he specializes a little more in those.

The Hornets have 92 HP a piece, and a weakness to Fire attacks.

They're also worth 48 EXP a piece, which should make this encounter worth 96 EXP, right? Well, that does make sense, but this game uses a split-EXP system, where each party member gains a share of the EXP given after a fight. Since 96/3 is 32, each character earned 32 EXP.

Math isn't required for money drops. That just goes into a general pool that everyone has access to, no matter who is in the party.

This cave also features chests that will change their contents if left alone, but to get the best stuff (well, one thing is really good), you have to wait a really, really long time. And there are other ways to get that item.

I also forgot about it until after I had grabbed those chests, but it's a pretty "eh" kind of situation. And by the time we're there, we'll have plenty of other options for accessories, so no worries here.

Moving on, we get into another fight.

A preemptive strike is one where we get to act first; our ATB bars start out fully filled and we have a few seconds to get things going before the enemies can react.

The Urok is the ugly guy in the background, while the Fopers are the furry things in the front.

The Urok has 122 HP, and is also weak to Fire. They can either slap someone or inflict Sap on them, so they're nothing major to be concerned with.

The Foper has 119 HP, and is--you guessed it--weak to Fire. They can put people to Sleep, which is a paralysis that is either lifted by time or being physically struck.

The Foper is worth 53 EXP and 80 Gil, while the Urok is worth 71 EXP and 120 Gil.

None of the encounters in this cave are, by any stretch of the imagination, difficult. Auto Crossbow will clean up most things pretty easily, and with every enemy being weak to Fire, you already have access to plenty of rear end kicking potential for taking care of business in here.

Ethers restore 50 MP, and aren't all that common. Well, they kind of are, since we can eventually buy them. But for now, they're not very common.

The last treasure in here is this Phoenix Down.

And with a couple of maneuvers, we're in the final room.

And back outside! I know the music in that link is called Terra, but in addition to being Terra's theme, its also the overworld music.

And just south and east of the exit is the town of South Figaro.

Before we explore the town, this update is over. I'll see you next time, as we explore South Figaro!

Stay tuned!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

So, I added a section for Bowser's book, and made sure the banner was included in there.

It inspired me to make my own banner! Which could be better, I suppose.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Six: This Is The Last One For A While, I Swear

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Previously, on Final Fantasy VI, Kefka attempted to burn Figaro Castle to the ground in an attempt to capture Terra, but he was foiled by Figaro Castle, which is actually a submarine castle. The party defeated a pair of Magitek riders and escaped through a cave, heading to South Figaro. Today, we're going to be crawling through the city and learning that Remain's brother, Leave, may be closer than he expected, so let's roll.

Alright, let's hit--Hey, a unique sprite!

I'll be damned if that's not a ninja.

Wait, ninja, stop! You just passed the relic shop! You can tell by the gem on the sign!

There's a lot of NPCs in town. Some of them have interesting things to say, while some of them certainly have lines.

However, the shadowy individual isn't interested in talking to us.

Nathan takes offense at that. I'd be careful, Nate. He's got a dog that's roughly crotch height to you.

But King Remain seems to recognize the fellow.

That's right, folks, we've got another name vote! You'll need to BOLD a vote for what we're going to call this fella. Take a couple of days to figure it out.

The SNES translation had a much better line here.

"He'd slit his mama's throat for a nickel!"

Probably not a bad idea.

So, let's go see what the scuttlebutt around town is.

Ooh, two named people.

And Duncan apparently thinks Vargas is some kind of a bitch.

And people in this town are either concerned about the Empire or the guy at the counter.

There's also a child getting hammered in here.

Hmm. The man with a twin looks like a student of Duncan's, eh?

Down in the basement of the pub is an rear end in a top hat.

But, he's going to make a booze delivery, so let's follow him.

He's hidden under that building section there.

Whoops, we got in front of him. The auto-dash in this game can make following certain NPCs kind of difficult, since they're still walking at the default speed.

Alright, we'll get him into a corner and punch him in the dick.

Oh, right, this isn't the Elder Scrolls. I can't do that sort of thing.

But, let's see what the old guy has to say.

This isn't super relevant right now, but just know that later on, we're going to have to get this guy some booze before he'll talk to us.

Downstairs, there's a potion hidden in a pot.

We exit out of here, not all that far from the pub.

Of the four NPCs I passed on the way over here, none of them had anything interesting to say. If you really want to see it, I have the screenshots.

Inside the relic shop, we get a quick rundown on what some relics do.

In the SNES version, equipping a relic was the only way you could move faster than the default walking speed. Each character has two slots for relics, so if you wanted to move quickly, you had to sacrifice a relic slot.

He's not doing a demonstration; he's lost control of his speed.

He slams into the wall like everyone does when they first get the Pegasus Boots in Link to the Past and runs off.

And we go to buy some relics.

Now, a Moogle did pop up to tell us about relics, but...Eh, I'll cover it. It's easier that way.

Sprint Shoes make you move at double speed. If you combine that with the auto dash, you'll be going fast enough to break dimensions. Silver Spectacles make you immune to Blindness (which tanks your hit percentage), while the Star Pendant renders you immune to Poison. The Jeweled Ring grants immunity to Petrify, and the Knight's Code causes whoever has it equipped to take hits for those who are on low health.

I grab some of the Spectacles and the Star Pendant. I'm...I'm not sure why. I don't think I've ever bought them before.

Upstairs from there, and connected to the pub, is the Inn.

For 80 Gil, everyone can rest, which recovers HP/MP and heals status effects.

In the room next door, Remain proves he isn't picky and lays down with the guy trying to take a nap.

Oh, I'm sure you guys will be fine. What's the worst that can happen?

North of the pub, we head into the biggest damned house in town.

You know the people that live here are fancy because they have nice flowers as soon as you walk in.

It might not be a bad idea. Depends on who you ask. But you're staying with the rich. Nothing bad ever happens to them!

Let's go poke through their stuff!

...Remain, do you have anything to say about this?

No? Not...Not a thing?

Lord, you're a loving awful king.

From your perspective, this shouldn't even be a real question!

It's behind the damned bookcase!

Okay, before someone says something at the end of this update, I forgot a couple of relics down here. They aren't anything spectacular, in the sense that I probably wouldn't use them at all, but they are down here. We'll get them later.

Alright, this is a prison cell and that's a poopin' bucket.

This is just a save point room. The blue glow is from me running into it.

The last room down here is cluttered as gently caress.

Oh, hang on a second. I hear the Koopaling getting rowdy.

False alarm. I think she just tooted and startled herself. At least, that's my theory. She's a farty little baby.

Ooh, more money!

That other chest right there is empty. It's kind of a middle finger to you. But the salve of 3,000 Gil before that really helps to soothe the sting.

We'll also be back here later.

Upstairs, we head into the last room.

I know if I was a kid and Magitek Armor existed, I'd be all over wanting a suit of it. Hell, I'm 25 and I want a suit of it. Not that I know what I'd do with it, but by God, I'd have a suit of power armor that shot elemental laser beams!

An Imperial general? Why would he be coming here...?

Take a knee, sweetie. You've said enough already.

Let's go browse the weapon and armor shops. I'm always down for new implements of rear end kickery.

So, when browsing for new equipment, the characters that can use it will do a little happy dance; the arrows indicate if it's a boost in attack power or not. Green is good and red is bad, as these things tend to be. An = means that it has equal attack power. That sounds all well and good, and it'll work for now, but we'll eventually have access to equipment that might not have as good of numbers, but could boost certain stats that make it better.

Basically, what I'm saying is that you shouldn't always trust the arrows. But, that'll come later. For now, we can trust the arrows.

Terra gets a Great Sword, while I pick up a Noiseblaster and Bioblaster for Remain's growing collection of Tools. I also grabbed a Mythril Sword for Nathan, having forgotten to give him Remain's old sword.

It's a decent boost.

But not as good as the boost Terra got by equipping the Great Sword.

On the other side, we can purchase armor.

Armor functions like weaponry, in that the arrows won't always be accurate. Some pieces of armor can offer stat boosts, elemental resistances and other benefits that aren't accurately displayed by a simple arrow pointing up or down.

In either case, I grab a couple of Heavy Shields, three Plumed Hats, a Cotton Robe and a Kenpo Gi (and a partridge in a pear tree).

Judging by the description, the Plumed Hat is a pimp hat by another name.

Nathan is the only one in the current party who can equip the Kenpo Gi, which makes sense, since he's currently our party's fast and sneaky guy.

Meanwhile, Terra gets to equip something that you could steal out of a hotel bathroom.

Finally, we hit the item shop. They're denoted by lamps on the sign.

The item shop offers nothing new, but I do grab a couple of Tents.

But before we can leave town, there's one last house to visit.

And here's another city that is extremely confident against element spewing machinery.

Yeah, Duncan is kind of an important fella.

He also actually has a name.

Probably not, but that's okay. We'll go there to meet him.

The staircase to the right leads to a save point, so let's get outta here.

We'll be heading northeast to go somewhere interesting.

When you get into a fight on the world map, you get a zoom in effect.

These guys are called Unseelies.

They have 132 HP, so the Auto Crossbow will take them out with little problem.

In addition to their generic physical, they can also throw a wrench at your face, which does about 10 more damage.

They're worth 256 Gil a piece and 53 EXP a pop.

Just a little ways from South Figaro, we find a shack near the mountains.

Oh, it has a garden, how quaint.

Inside, Remain notices there's a certain scent in the air.

As well as flowers and tea that someone he used to know enjoyed.

The pot next to the stove holds a Potion, and you can sleep in any of the beds for a free heal. This group is awful confident, what with breaking into someone's home and just snoozing in their beds.

He also finds some dishes that the guy used to use a lot.

Before leaving (:haw:), Remain wonders if this is where Leave has been living since he left Figaro Castle.

Though, I'd be wondering if he stole those dishes before he left...

Outside, there's an Exposition Man, who we may as well chat with.

Though...How long has he been there? Did he watch them go inside? Was he watching from the trees?

We talked to Duncan's Wife, and she apparently has no idea that her husband is dead.

But, never mind that poo poo, Leave is apparently up in those mountains!

As is Duncan's son, Vargas. I wonder if we'll be meeting him while we're up there.

Let's get over to Mt. Koltz.

I spent most of this fight using Nathan to try and rob this guy.

But, with 232 HP, he didn't last long enough for me to rob him. He has a few physical attacks that he can try, but the one time he got to attack, Nathan blocked it. The Belmodar has a special attack called Rush which deals double damage from its regular hit, and if you attack it with magic, it can counter with Megavolt, which can hurt like hell. They also absorb Lightning, but we don't have any source of that right now.

They're worth 246 EXP and 186 Gil, and I highly recommend using Auto Crossbow and other physicals against it. It can deal some good damage, but avoiding Megavolt is a pretty good idea.

Alright, folks, this is where I bid you adieu. Next time, we'll tackle Mt. Koltz, so stay tuned!

And don't forget to BOLD a vote for what we rename Shadow, the mysterious assassin!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I'll throw my vote to the Bowser train. Might as well get it out of the way.

Aww, what's wrong with Bowser? :(

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

While Tenno was a good suggestion, Bowser had the votes needed to win the day!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Seven: Ain't No Mountain High Enough

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, we made our way through South Figaro, met a shadowy assassin named Bowser, and discovered a small house near the town that Leave has been living in. Today, we're going to investigate Mt. Kolts to see if we can track down Remain's wayward twin, so let's roll.

This update will be longish, but because there's a fair chunk of dialog near the end of it.

We're also climbing a mountain as well as snagging some good treasures.

We'll be going through a fair few of these short caverns, as well. I really like the music for this area, too.

I'm trying to get much better about posting music links. When I did post them before, I'd usually put it up where it first shows up and then never again. I'm not promising I'm going to get every link posted in the right spot, but I'm going to try. The music in this game is pretty good stuff, and I think it adds a lot to the dungeon crawling.

I also really like the green of the grass here. It's such a good green color, the kind of color that grass should be. It's a healthy, vibrant green.

Heading south from that exit shows us there's a chest over there, but not one we can access from here.

But, as we can see here, there's an opening over there that will let us at the treasure.

From here, you can see the hidden path we'll need to take to get over there.

But before we do that, we've got some new enemies to talk about!

The Zaghrem isn't too tough, but they do have a good piece of equipment, the Bandana, that you can steal. Not that Nathan cooperated and actually stole one for me, the son of a bitch.

You'll notice that Remain is glowing red; he has the Haste status applied to him, and that's because when I replayed to rename Shadow, I tracked down the hidden Relics in the basement of the rich man's house. We found some Hermes Shoes, which add Haste to the wearer, and a Hyper Wrist, which increases a wearer's Strength by 50%. I gave the Hyper Wrist to Nathan because why not.

Haste boosts your speed pretty well, and since Auto Crossbow is my best method of dropping tons of damage on entire groups of enemies, Remain was the natural choice.

Generally speaking, Humanoid type enemies are weak to Poison, but these jerks are actually weak to Ice element, which we have no access to right now.

In fact, Poison will heal them, so the Bio Blaster is a no-go here.

They have two attacks, the basic hit and one called Punch, which is the standard stronger attack than normal that most enemies have.

With 137 HP, they're not too tough, but they have decent damage output.

Recommended method of destruction is to sling some iron their way.

They're worth 79 EXP a piece and 84 Gil, and have a small chance to drop some potions.

This isn't the first hidden passage we'll be going through here.

But it holds a new weapon for Nathan, and a fair boost to his power as well.

A four-point boost to Speed is nothing to scoff at, and neither is the 21 extra Attack; ten more Evasion is definitely a good thing, as Nathan now has, roughly, a 33% chance to dodge attacks coming his way.

Back on the main path, we start crossing a bridge over one of these bottomless pits that are so incredibly common in video games.

But, you know, that wall over there looks a little odd. Let's go check that out.

But not before taking on another couple of palette swaps.

They've got a lot of health, at 270, and have pretty good attack power, to boot.

This is from their regular attack; they have a special attack called Gore, which will do around 60 damage to whoever it hits.

Not that Nathan particularly gives a poo poo about that.

They're also weak to Fire, so we have plenty of options to take them out with ease.

They drop 163 EXP a piece, as well as 102 Gil.

They also have a rare chance to drop Gold Needles, which cure Petrify. I think I mentioned that before.

I think this path is pretty well hidden. You're probably not just going to wander over there, and might just hit the bridge and keep rolling, not really thinking about it.

Or maybe I'm wrong about what constitutes well hidden and you're laughing at me right now.

Either way, there is a kickass piece of treasure in here.

It boosts physical damage by 25%, and the Auto Crossbow qualifies as physical. While Nathan could make use of this, his physical attack only hits one target, while the Crossbow hits all. In short, Remain will make the best use of this right now, and unless you make a really good argument against it, I won't listen otherwise.

Okay, back across the bridge.

Who the hell is that? Leave?

Get back here, you son of a bitch!

Aww, nuts, we lost him.

But, hey, we found some off-brand Triffids.

The Trillium, being a plant and alla that, is indeed weak to Fire. They also absorb Water, but it's going to be a good while before we have any sort of access to the Water element.

They have 147 HP, so they're nothing to take seriously. They can inflict Poison on your party members, but Terra has learned Poisona, a spell to cure that status.

They give out 97 EXP each, and drop 134 Gil. Trillium is also the name of a real plant, native to North America and Asia.

Heading through here leads us to some more treasure, but nothing quite as good as what we've already found.

But one I'll definitely use. Tents are the poo poo.

The path forward is down here.

That bridge to nowhere over there? Yeah, actually leads to nowhere.

Instead, we want to come up here and through the exit.

Where we encounter our mysterious friend again, hopping along the mountain.

There's also a layer of fog up here, and I think it looks pretty neat.

And some enemies that could be dangerous, if not for the ability to take them all out with a volley from the Auto Crossbow.

The Cirpius has 134 HP, but their defenses are a little lower than normal, so even without the Gigas Glove, Remain could destroy them all in one shot.

They can be dangerous because of their special attack, Beak. It can Petrify a party member, and if all three get turned to stone, then it's game over.

They're worth 82 EXP a piece and 102 Gil. There's a good chance they'll drop an Antidote, too, and on rarer occasions, a Potion.

Mt. Kolts isn't very long, in all actuality. We're pretty close to the end right now.

As evidenced by the save point.

When standing in a save point, we can use a Tent to fully restore the party's HP/MP, or a Sleeping Bag to fully restore one person's HP/MP.

There are several different tent sprites, too, depending on who's pitching the tent.

I feel there's a joke to be made there, but I can't quite pull it out.

This is the last screen of Mt. Kolts. We're about to have a shitload of talking come up.

We're just winding our way down the path.

Until we get around to this point.

Where our mystery man finally reveals himself.

He's now our only barrier to getting out of here.

:ducksiren:For those interested, the boss fight video starts here!:ducksiren:

Not really. We're trying to find him right now.

Hey, bud, what'cha--

--Oh.

He's drop kicking our party out of Remain.

You're awful calm for someone who just kicked you in the face.

Terra? You okay over there?

Nobody is going to check on you? At least you're not dead.

I guess you have Cure, but someone could at least ask if you're okay.

And I've got no plans on not kicking your rear end.

How dramatic!

Vargas comes flanked with two bears, the...Ipooh? Jesus, what a terrible name.

And before we can attack Vargas himself, we've gotta get rid of his bears.

They have some decently strong physical attacks, and 360 HP a pop.

I don't think I have to talk about the Auto Crossbow right now.

The combination of the Hyper Wrist and Main Gauche allows Nathan some impressive attack power.

The Ipooh is also weak to Fire, so Terra can contribute very well to their demise.

And thus, ends the saga of the Ipooh.

Now Vargas is our only target and he's no slouch.

As Gale Cut is going to hurt like a bastard.

Thankfully, Gale Cut won't come every turn. It comes on every second turn that Vargas has, otherwise he will just use a regular physical attack.

This is also one of the more accurate representations of some Phoenix Down that I can think of.

So, Terra is just seconds away from either being punched to death, so Nathan is going to heal her up.

With a Hi-Potion, Terra will be put back to max HP.

Vargas is actually weak to Poison, but there's something I'd like to show you.

The Auto Crossbow did 188 damage.

He doesn't hit quite as hard as his bears did, but that's still nothing to scoff at.

Or maybe it is, since Terra can just negate that damage.

Now, remember, the Auto Crossbow did 188.

Bio Blaster is only doing four more damage, and the animation takes a little longer, as well as not looking as cool as the Auto Crossbow. I only care about how long something takes when I'm recording, because that's less frames I have to pick through to grab shots, as well as fewer gigs of video on my hard drive.

After dealing enough damage, about 800 or so, Vargas finally gets serious.

He actually has 11,600 HP, but there are certain triggers in this fight, which you'll see in a minute. It's also the most important one.

But, never mind that poo poo, there's someone coming to save us!

My God, it's Leave!

The party scoots to the side, to let Leave and Vargas have their conversation.

: Why did you kill Master Duncan? How could you kill your own father!?

: The fool snubbed me, his only son! He chose you as his successor!

: That's not true! Our master--

: It's true and you know it!

I'm throwing in this shot so that someone can point out the ugly sneer on Leave's face. I'm just not seeing it.

: He wanted you to be his successor, not me! He knew you had the most potential...

: I'm sick of listening to your lies! I've got far more than just potential! Why don't you see for yourself?

Vargas uses a new technique, one that creates a powerful wind and begins blowing our characters away.

Remain is the first to go, with Nathan hot on his heels.

Before long, Leave is the only one left.

: My father was right to see so much in you!

: I guess there's no avoiding this...

: Fate made us train together...and now fate will send you to your doom!

To really hammer home the point, Vargas now uses his patented Doom Fist.

It gives Leave the status effect of Doom; when that counter reaches zero, Leave will die.

Leave's special command is called Blitz, and the Blitzes are loving awesome.

To use them, when the cursor is pointing at Leave, you have to enter certain inputs, much like you would with a fighting game.

For instance, this attack is performed by performing a quarter-circle turn forward, like how you would fire off a Hadoken with Ryu, in Street Fighter. Despite that, it looks more like a Kamehameha.

Blitzes are, in general, quite powerful and more worthwhile than Leave's regular attack.

We've got to deal a lot of damage, so let's get it on.

Leave uses claws as his weapons, and he's the game's resident Monk.

His physical stats are all really damned good, but his magic suffers a little bit. Despite that, a lot of his Blitzes are magic-based.

: I need to use a Blitz technique, like the master taught me...

This is the last trigger of the fight; there's no way we're going to get rid of more than 10,000 HP off of Vargas, so we have to activate the other trigger to end this fight.

Our Aura Cannon doesn't count as that Blitz. We have to be specific.

Raging Fist is the Blitz that will end this fight; a rapid series of punches right to the dick.

Hey, not how I would have done it, but whatever gets results.

: If only you hadn't been so consumed by pride...

And, just like that, Vargas fades away...

Cheer up, Leave. He would have killed you, your brother, and everyone else around if you hadn't beaten his sack into submission.

My wife!

Uh, Nathan, what the hell are you doing?

You are making everyone uncomfortable.

:aaa:

:hellyeah:

See, Leave loves that poo poo.

: Anyway...Remain, what are you doing here?

: We're on our way to the Sabre Mountains.

: To the Returner hideout, no doubt?

Remain nods, since apparently saying something was too much effort.

And the stars are burning, and all your dreams are coming true, so you better believe it!

~I would do anything for love~

...Sorry about that. I like Meatloaf.

Dude, it's okay if you've not been paying attention and been busy punching bears. Nobody here will judge you.

: There will be no more playing lapdog to the Empire....I'm through with that act.

: Think a "bear" like me could be of any help?

: You'd join us? Leave...!

: I think Duncan would rest easier knowing his training helped bring peace to the world.

But before we do, let's check out the stats of our newest party member.

I could have stolen a pair of these from Vargas, but I got some from the Belmodar just outside of Mt. Kolts.

Leave is a giant wall of beef, with good Strength, Attack and Defense, but for the most part, I'll be using his Blitzes in battle. They're far stronger than his regular attacks; for instance, Raging Fist ignores Defense, while Aura Cannon has power on par with the second level elemental spells, as well as being of the holy element.

Finally, his list of available Blitzes. Meteor Strike is also known as Suplex, and it's an extremely powerful physical attack, but its damage is halved when other enemies are present. It can also be used for one of the most badass moments in the game, but we'll get there when we do.

And now we get going by going into the last cave and snagging this Tent.

We head out of the exit, to the final screen of Mt. Kolts. Leaving this place is as simple as heading south and off the screen.

With that, this update is finished off, and we're going to take a break. Next time, we'll head to the Returner's Hideout, so I'll see you there!

Stay tuned!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

You should just be shocked that I'm including them at all.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Eight: Many Bothans Gave Their Lives For Her To Be Here

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, Remain, Nathan and Terra scaled Mt. Kolts and discovered that Vargas, Duncan's son and pupil, had murdered his own father over jealousy due to Leave progressing beyond him. Leave saved the party from Vargas and then joined them in their quest to reach the Returner hideout. Today, we're going to enter the hideout, so let's roll.

They hadn't planned on encountering Vargas or anything. He had just kind of been there, as had Leave, but it all worked out in the end.

Really, they just had to cross Mt. Kolts so they could get to the hideout.

Just outside of the hideout, we get into a fight.

Lookit the cute lil' guys!

They only have 119 HP, so they're not going to last long against anything. They also have no weaknesses, and nothing else interesting about them.

They only drop 59 EXP and 80 Gil a piece, so they're hardly even worth anything. According to the Bestiary FAQ I'm using, they have a special attack called Maul, which does 500% damage, but it's not in their AI script, so there might not be any regular way of seeing it.

I gotta admit, it's inconspicuous.

Then again, I suppose you'd want your rebel hideout to be.

He leads us up here, but we don't have to pop in there just yet. Let's take a quick look 'round first.

Well, I see no way that this is going to jinx their hideout.

In this pot, we find a Green Cherry, which cures the Imp status.

Down here is an item shop.

The Eye Drops are the new things here, and they cure Blind, which tanks your physical hit rate. He also sells Tents and Sprint Shoes, but with Auto Dash, I have no use for Sprint Shoes. And I'm fairly good on supplies at the moment, so let's keep moving.

We can't get back there until we talk to Banon, who is the big cheese around here.

The doorway leads to this room. The chest holds a Phoenix Down, by the by.

I'm not sure why I didn't go in this doorway when I was next to it just a second ago.

But, hey, it's an Inn!

A free one, at that. We could use a quick recharge after Mt. Kolts and the boss fight.

It's time to visit Banon.

What's going--Hang on.

Now that we've robbed Banon in front of him, let's go show him that we're his best shot at saving the world.

: Esper...?

: It seems the Empire had complete control over her.

: Carrier pigeons have kept me informed. I also heard she wiped out fifty Imperial soldiers in mere minutes.

Something you loving bring up! Jesus Christ, Banon!

I mean, he's not wrong here, but how about a little loving tact, you hairball?

Oh, Christ, it's time for him to talk about the good ol' days where he had to eat rocks before school and his five mile hike to fight a bear to find a piece of notebook paper.

: But someone went and opened it anyway, unleashing all the evils of the world...Pride...Envy...Greed...Wrath...Gluttony...The only thing that remained in the box was a single ray of light: hope.

: ...

: Your power is a gift, not a curse. No matter what happens, you must remember that. You are this world's last ray of light...Our final hope.

Terra, no pressure, okay? It's either you help them out, or everyone is proper hosed.

Maybe things will be clearer in a little while.

Uh...Nathan, you're being a bit of a creeper.

Then again, Terra has no memories, so she might think that this is normal.

Our party is in a few different spots in the base, so we'll be finding them all and chatting.

Hey, Remain and Nathan think you're cool. And Leave thought it was the poo poo when you thought he was a bear.

Okay, I was trying to be kind about it, but go ahead and yell at her. That's effective, too.

: Those people are counting on you, too...

And with a flash of armpit funk, he sends Terra on her way.

Leave is over thataway, so let's see what's shakin' with him.

: He's always thought of my needs before his own, ever since we were little. I think you should trust him, too. But don't tell him I said that! He'll turn red as a tomato!

While Leave is bellowing laughter, Terra notices something on the table.

Psh, she ain't nobody's maid!

And we're back to depressing. No wonder you guys aren't winning the war yet; you need some spice back in your life. Do a jazzy dance number or something. Life your spirits!

I suppose having a king on your side would help with recruitment.

Up here, we can snag another four bits of treasure.

There's three of them. The fourth is hidden.

Just let me loot these chests while I think about it. We start by finding a new weapon for Nathan.

The other chest is a Knight's Code, but the hidden treasure is better.

Oh, uh, five bits of treasure. And this isn't the hidden one. Even if it technically qualifies.

There's a hidden passage over here yonder.

Which leads to a brand new relic.

Terra gets it, since her main form of offense is shafted if she gets Silenced. Not that I think Silence is coming up anytime soon, but it's best to be prepared.

This was a ton better in the SNES version; see, in that version, the Evade and Magic Evade stats had a bug associated with them, where the Evade stat simply didn't work. No matter how high the number, it just didn't do anything. Instead, Magic Evade pulled double duty, determining your evade rate for both physical and magical attacks; the +10 boost to Magic Evade was really good and helped the wearer dodge that many more attacks.

Remain is back in Banon's room, so let's see what's shakin' with him.

Not that it's stopped you from trying.

However, this is the key difference.

If she doesn't want to fight, the Returners aren't going to force her into it; in that same situation, the Empire gave her a slave crown, making her a mindless puppet, obeying their every whim.

Let's go find Banon.

Ah, smoke break.

However, he dispenses no time for pleasantries.

At this juncture, Terra is...Unsure. She doesn't know what to do. They're asking so much of her, a woman who barely has any memory, powers she doesn't understand, and she's being asked to fight against the same people who enslaved her and forced her into terrible situations.

She just isn't sure. She may want to help, but she may not know what she can do. Or she might simply be scared.

I may have had an ulterior motive in having Terra turn them down, yes.

But, you can say no up to three times.

Say no the first time and then come talk to this guy.

As he has a badass Relic for us.

The Genji Glove allows the user to equip a weapon in each hand, as well as a small Defense boost.

Also, I think it flows better if Terra talks to this guy and hears his little speech before agreeing. It's the final nudge to push her over to their side.

And it gets us a bit of dialog from Terra that is worth seeing.

She's acting perfectly normal and rational about the situation.

You can refuse Banon three times and still get the Genji Glove, but I think this bit of dialog, after talking to the other Returner, really fits well.

If we say yes at first, we get a Gauntlet, which allows the user to wield their weapon with both hands, doubling their attack power. I like the Genji Glove better because some of the combinations of stat boosts you can get with two weapons is just silly and I love it.

Let's get this show--

:aaa:

That little bit is only accessible if you ignore the scrap of paper. That's the same pot we pulled the Green Cherry out of earlier, too, so we're now trashpickers. Fantastic.

: The question is, where did they get that power?

: I had Nathan dig around for information. It seems the Empire has been gathering scholars from around the world to study espers.

: Narshe's esper was also the reason for the Imperial assault there.

: Are you saying there's some kind of connection between espers and Magitek?

: Espers and Magitek...Only one possible link comes to mind.

: You don't mean...

: The War of the Magi.

: My grandma used to tell me bedtime stories about magical machines...Those stories were true?

: You're saying we're on the verge of a second War of the Magi?

: It's only a guess. The war took place a thousand years ago, and every historian has a different theory. But one theory says that energy drained from espers was used to power machines...And that ordinary humans were also infused with that same energy.

So...Ghosts of dead espers power magic in human beings? That's pretty goddamned metal.

I like it. Fight fire with fire!

...Oh. My bad. :ohdear:

And what, bring about a tray of tea and crumpets and see if we can bond over orange marmalade? Banon, you are having a senior moment. Take a minute to reevaluate what's going on.

: It's risky, but that esper reacted to Terra before...If we could get it to react to her again, we might just be able to wake it up.

I like to imagine this line is spoken with a :what: face.

Well, it's a better idea than nothing. And, hell, maybe it'll work. What've we got to lose, besides the lives of a magic user, the king of Figaro, his brother, and a thief treasure hunter?

The important thing is that Terra is on board. Without her, this plan has absolutely no chance of working.

I like Leave. He's just the right amount of goofy and enthusiastic to want to do this. He's a pretty chill guy.

However, celebrations have to be cut short. There's an odd noise...

...Well, so much for having a hideout.

Nothing good, I'd reckon.

We're in no shape to be making a stand against the Empire. Not now, not here.

That's right, time to get the gently caress outta here. Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now!

If they've already taken South Figaro, I'm not sure how much more you can slow them down, but what the hey, give it a shot. Maybe you can at least learn something important there.

Nathan has some advice for Terra before he goes.

But it was basically what we knew before; King Remain is a horny young man.

What? Don't deny it. We all know it's true.

And Leave is still just very chill about the situation.

You're not that chill, no. Leave is the chillest dude in the room.

Oh! For a plan of escape. Hey, Remain has that covered. Good on you, bud.

All we really know is that Terra made it react and it blinked the two dudes with her out of existence.

: It's risky, but we don't have much choice at this point.

...What, like she wasn't coming before? I'm pretty sure she was included in all previous plans!

i.e., gain levels and possibly learn new spells.

And just like that, Banon has joined our party and we're escaping out the back.

But first, there's a bit of party juggling I need to do right now, otherwise I will not have the chance.

Banon gets shifted into the back row. Remain is already there.

Now, Blitzes, Magic and Tools don't give any poo poo whatsoever about rows, so everyone can hang out in the back row for this next little bit.

Banon is a magical powerhouse, and his special command is insanely useful, making you nigh immortal. It's basically a free casting of Cura, which at this point, is nearly a full-heal to the entire party. It's also completely free. Needless to say, Banon is a guest.

Before we end this update, there is one last piece of information that is critical to getting through this next part.

Next time, we'll traverse the Lethe River and make our way toward Narshe.

Stay tuned!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Bruceski posted:

What happens if you don't join them? Go to leave and get attacked?

You can deny Banon three times, get the Genji Glove, and then poo poo rolls downhill, and you still hit the river.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Come on, man. You know better than that.

Leavemywife posted:

What's your spoiler policy here?

I don't want to see any of that wink wink, nudge nudge crap where you're dropping spoilers while acting coy about it; I don't want anything spoiled for people who haven't played the game before. There's going to be a few people reading this thread who haven't played the game and know nothing about it, and I'd like to keep them surprised as we go through the story.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Syka posted:

May want to edit that out. Remember we're in an LP thread, not a general FFVI discussion thread.

As well as anyone who mentioned future cities and relics.

Please. I'd like as much to be a surprise as possible.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Nine: Seafood Soup!

Welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, we made our way to the Returner hideout, where Terra agreed to help fight against the Empire. Shortly after that, Banon, leader of the Returners, was forced to flee with Remain, Terra and Leave, while Nathan makes his way to South Figaro. Today, we're going to cross the River Lethe, so let's roll.

This section is on rails; we have very little control over where we're going. There's also no specific music for this area; it's just the sound of rushing water.

But, there are still random encounters. Since it'd be boring to just float down a river.

Surprisingly, we find a lot of sea critters to fight.

Banon's special command is Pray, which acts as a free Cura spell.

It's really great at keeping your party alive, and what I have Banon doing every turn, even if we're all at full health. It's a paranoia thing, since if Banon dies, the entire thing goes kaput.

The Nautiloid is weak to Fire, because most things have been up to this point, but also Lightning, since it's a sea creature.

They've also got 236 HP, so Auto Crossbow won't likely drop them in one volley, but Aura Bolt will, no problems. In addition to a generic physical, they can also blast someone with Ink, to do a little damage and inflict Blind.

The Exocite is a little less exciting, having only 196 HP and a weakness to fire. As well as lightning. And holy-themed Hadokens.

Either way, light 'em up, and they're nothing to worry about. They can snap you with a Pincer, though, for some extra damage.

The Exocite drops 162 EXP and 153 Gil, with the Nautiloid giving out 216 EXP and 173 Gil.

Every now and again, we're given a choice of which way to go along the river.

We're going to head left, which makes things a little quicker going through here.

But not before we fight a couple of flying lizards.

These sons of bitches are tougher than most other enemies we've encountered, having 380 HP a piece.

They are weak against Fire, though, so light 'em up!

Punching the living poo poo out of them is also very effective.

They give out 464 EXP a piece, which holy balls, that sounds like a lot, and 325 Gil a piece. They'll also rarely drop Hi-Potions.

Holy poo poo, I cannot think of anything to say about this. I mean, it's floating down a goddamned river.

Oh, hey, we're inside. Neat!

It gives us a chance to hit a save point, rest, and move along. I only do the moving along part, since with Banon, I have no need to recover HP, and Terra's spells have a low enough cost, I'm not worried about running out of MP.

We're quickly given another choice of where to go. Up will take us into an infinite loop, leading us back here to make the choice again. That's also an exploit you could use in the SNES version; use your turbo-controller, set up the cursor memory so that Remain is using the Crossbow, Leave and Terra are attacking and Banon is using Pray, and have it hammer the "A" button so that you're constantly inputting commands and choosing to go Up, and come back in a few hours; you'll be massively overleveled.

But, gently caress that, I went left.

Which leads us back to another rest area.

I still didn't save at this one. I thought about it, but didn't.

All is going well and good, until

We fall off a waterfall!

Oh, never mind. All is still well and good.

We...We seemed to have stopped. That's odd.

:ducksiren:Certainly no boss fight about to go down, no sir!:ducksiren:

I could ask the same question!

Oh, God, look at that ugly sumbitch.

Ugh. I hate it when something with teeth like that giggles at me. It makes a poor first impression.

Now I'm reminded of that loving lovely movie, so I'm going to kick your rear end twice as hard.

Yeah, he's a chatty cephalopod.

That might seem like a lot of damage, but Banon is in the back row; that's half of how hard Ultros can smack someone.

To follow the trend of the other enemies here, he is weak to Fire. He's also weak to Lightning, but I've no way of utilizing that, so Fire will have to do.

Make sure that Banon is Praying his rear end off in this fight; Ultros can drop a bunch of damage quickly, and if he kills Banon, it's game over. And if he's whittling down other party members, it can be hard to revive them, get them healthy, while keeping everyone else healthy, dealing damage, and ensuring that your instant lose button isn't pressed.

But, with Banon blasting the Prayers all over the place, you can focus on ripping through the 3,000 HP Ultros has.

He does not like to be lit on Fire, either.

He's very particular about his non-fire status. He likes it that way.

He'll counter with Ink when Terra lights him up, which...Does nothing to impede her ability to cast Fire. In fact, he could Blind the entire party here, and it wouldn't affect our combat efficiency one iota, since Tools, Blitzes and Magic don't give two shits about Blindness.

So, in essence, Ultros just gave Terra some kickass shades, and now she can be all :dealwithit: to Ultros.

If you watch the video, this is my entire battle strategy.

Ultros also proves himself to be ultra-loving creepy.

:gonk:

Tentacle is not an attack to gently caress around with, and is an excellent reason to have everyone in the back row. Something that can deal over 200 damage to a single character is fuckin' scary, especially since that's more HP than Banon has at max.

However, Ultros won't just single out Terra.

He's also jealous of Leave's physique, and will gently caress him up, too.

However, that's the end of this fight. Ultros has an attack I didn't get a chance to show off, since I was too busy wrecking his poo poo, but he can hit the entire party at once with Tentacle, which will deal massive damage across the group. But, that's the only part you didn't get to see that would normally show up.

The fight is technically over when Ultros drops back into the water.

It'd be hard for him to miss the point. I know if I got an assbeating like that, I'd get the point.

It's entirely possible, I suppose. He doesn't seem sharp enough to take the opportunity to run off.

Oh, maybe Terra found a bit of octopus brain matter.

:gonk:

Just as long as keep away from the edge; it's kind of like that Stephen King story.

...Wait a second, they weren't safe, even away from the edge...

Leave isn't satisfied at the rear end-kicked status of Ultros, though.

And decides that the best way to rectify that is to go and kick some more rear end. I like his style.

What argument will Remain use to keep Leave on track?

Apparently none, as he's shoulder checked outta the way and Leave dives into the water.

That reminds me, Sabin's original name in the Japanese version was Mash.

...My wife?

I believe in him.

We know that, Banon. You're having another senior moment; go stand in the middle of the raft and reminisce about when you could afford two cars and a house payment with a single income source.

Maybe I should be transcribing this.

I probably should be. I'm not sure why I'm not.

And there goes Leave.

Just a little bit. Slightly overshot it; it happens.

At least Terra gives a poo poo about Leave.

Yeah, he'll be fine.

Uh, maybe. Hopefully. What's the worst that can happen to someone floating down a river without a raft or any protective gear?

And thus ends our trip down the River Lethe...

But not the end of this update.

But what of Leave, who was swept away by the raging waters? And how is Nathan faring after having penetrated the Empire's defenses in South Figaro? Is all going according to plan...?

That's right, folks, it's time for another vote! BOLD your vote for which scenario we go through first.

Will we follow the saga of Terra, Remain and Banon as they try to reach Narshe? Will we see where Leave wound up after being separated and floating down the River Lethe? Or shall we see how Nathan is doing in South Figaro?

You'll have a couple of days to vote, and the scenario with the most votes is what we'll do when we come back!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Ten: Clothes Really Do Make The Man

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, Remain, Leave, Terra and Banon escaped down the Lethe River, but they were separated by Ultros the octopus, who caused Leave to careen off down one side of the river, while the others continued floating toward Narshe. Meanwhile, Nathan has successfully infiltrated South Figaro, so we're going to go check that out; let's roll.

If you need to escape, turn the hell around! The exit is right there!

Oh, yeah, that would potentially stop you. That's a cutscene soldier, so we don't stand a chance by our lonesome.

Thankfully, even if it is a cutscene, they're still only about as aware as a Genome soldier, so we're safe for, well, ever.

But first, you need some equipment. You're currently nekkid.

In hindsight, I could have snagged the Gigas Glove from Remain before we fought Ultros and given it to Nathan here, thereby making him a physical force to be reckoned with.

But, this'll do. He's out a bit of Defense and a touch of Evasion, but he's also going to be smashing your face in so hard, it's not that big of a deal.

This guy has already forgotten he was chasing us.

However, we will scram, right into Duncan's house.

Where his wife has something to relay to us.

A clue to progress! And we know just the house that has a draft! But, getting there is the trick...

We can't get past that Magitek guy, so let's keep exploring.

...Okay, we know of a merchant that used to deliver to this guy. Looks like we'll have to go pay him a visit...

Righto, bud. Just move aside and let me go.

Merchants!? Merchants are a bunch of dicks!

But, there is an item shop here. I'm sure this guy will know all about merchants. I mean, he is one, right?

...Uh-huh...I've gotta try and fight him now.

Remember what I said about merchants being dicks? Prime example, here.

In the SNES release, Nathan would have told this guy, "Call me a treasure hunter, or I'll rip your lungs out!"

Now, our (my) natural inclination is to kick the poo poo out of him, but that's not the solution here.

Instead, we have to Steal from him.

And not just the pimp hat, even if that is a nice bonus.

We also steal the clothes off his back!

And so, Nathan descends into a world full of another man's armpit funk and BO bombs.

He also decides to try being clever, busting out a small couplet.

Do be sure to check out the name change here.

Apparently, he tried so hard to flee, he ran headfirst into the wall and is now regretting the life choices that brought him here.

So, the gimmick here is that we'll need to switch clothes to work our way through the town.

People also react differently to us, based on how we're dressed.

But, maybe we can squeeze past this fella now.

Just tryin' to get past to peddle my wares, sir!

OH GOD IT'S ALL GONE WRONG

HE'S TURNED MY FACE INTO A LIGHTNING ROD FOR HIS HATRED

im bleeding from orifices i didnt know could bleed

Okay, let's not do that.

Instead, we'll explore out in another direction.

Namely, passing by this little poo poo.

There's nothing new for sale in the armor or weapon shop, but there is a hint as to how to proceed.

Uh-huh. I'm not surprised to find out I could take someone who is, essentially, a lackey.

However, this is the juicy bit. We can take their uniforms to go places where merchants and treasure thieves aren't wanted.

Unfortunately, we can't jack this guy's Magitek Armor and go for a joyride.

However, we can swing by this guy now.

Over to where one of those green-garbed goobers is.

The Main Gauche helps raise Evasion, and when you block an attack with it, you get this fancy little animation instead of just a miss notification.

You would think if this guy just hollered loud enough, someone would come by and see us throwing on his duds.

That sound you just heard, the one filled with depression and disgust?

That was me, groaning, after reading this.

Alright, let's see how the Imperials respect us now!

Not anymore than before!

Though, we do find out that this guy thinks Kefka is a jerk, so that's something. And that Kefka is going to try and kick down the doors to Narshe.

So, the door to the rich man's house is impassable, due to a guard on duty, but what about the guy just below the Magitek rider?

Ah, the allure of a break and not having to work. The siren call that affects all...

He's heading straight into the Pub, via Inn, but we'll just pop into the Pub the easy way.

Underground passage into the mansion, you say? Well, well, I think we know our entrance...

I...I don't think that's how it works when you're part of an army. I'm pretty sure that's a serious offense, and judging by how this Empire has done things before, you...Oh, hell, it's not my problem.

Lady general? And a famous one, to boot. As well as a traitor!

The plot thickens...

I just learned about the first one!

Alright, our entrance and our exit. I wonder if this has anything to do with the drafty passage.

But, before we go too much further, let's get the old man drunk and see what he has to spill.

I can pay you for it. It wouldn't be--

:sigh:

Just gimme your clothes.

And your boots and your motorcycle.

With the cider collected, we'll pop back over to the old man and make his daily liquor delivery.

Just happier than a pig in mud, he is.

Ah-ha. And as a previous servant of the richest family in town, it makes sense that he would have a quick way to reach them, if need arised.

Oh, you old bastard.

Wait, does it require letters and numbers?

Ooh, classic movie reference! I'll take Rosebud, for 100, child-needing-password!

I'm not sure what the kid does when the screen fades to black, but I'm assuming it involves hitting Nathan in the crotch.

Alright, let's try a different tack here.

Okay, you caught me; it doesn't matter what you're wearing, but it amuses me that the kid accuses us of being an Imperial spy, and then we roll past him wearing an Imperial uniform.

The true password is Courage. The password in the original Japanese version was "Wild Rose", a reference to Final Fantasy II.

And with this open, we can sneak into the mansion, and grow one step closer to getting the hell out of here.

Yeah, you thought we were popping out of that door or something, weren't you?

Nope! Before we take off, though, we will rob time to be able to fully heal at any point.

Okay, we've made it into the mansion.

Nathan switches his frequency to 140.96.

I think that joke works, considering the next shot is us talking to someone who isn't really telling us much of use. I...I don't really know how to make Metal Gear jokes. I've never played the games.

Well, I'm going to go have a word with him!

Hey, assbutt!

I can never feel sympathy for someone like this. You had to have some idea of what the gently caress was going to happen. It's not like the Empire is known for giving out rainbow farts and kitten hats when they roll into town!

Or, maybe they do. I'm sure the children can tell me!

Uh-huh. When we're done, I'll teach you a rhyme about a lady with an axe.

This kid is still thinking about power armor.

Meanwhile, the soldier tasked with watching them is losing his mind.

Okay, let's sneak downstairs and see what's shakin'.

There might be another reason why I chose this outfit to come down here with. But, that'll come next update.

This room looked like a prison cell before, so let's see if there's something going on in there now.

"T-t-there was a woman, and a donkey, and two guys with mops!"

Ugh. Maybe I shouldn't have made a donkey show joke...

The lady traitor!? :monocle:

In the original, we saw this soldier punch this lady in the stomach. I'm pretty happy we don't have to see that anymore.

However...

We will need to see some votes that have been BOLDED to rename the lady traitor! I'll give you guys a couple of days to decide on a name, and we'll go from there.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Holy balls, there's a lotta different votes in here.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Well, it was close between Olivia and Ripley, but the lady traitor of the Empire is Olivia!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Eleven: Aren't You A Little Short To Be An LP'er?

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, Nathan infiltrated South Figaro and discovered that one of their Generals had turned traitor. Today, we're going to rescue that General and escape South Figaro, so let's roll.

We've actually seen Olivia before; you might not have realized it then, but she is in Terra's flashback.

It's okay if you forgot about that. I pretty much did, too.

She doesn't let that guard get away with his poo poo-talking.

I think he's supposed to be locking up her shackles here, but I like to think he's trying the Vulcan nerve pinch.

Jesus, Kefka is a dick.

Hmm...If we boogie out now, that's one less Imperial we have to worry about. However, she did betray them, so it could be beneficial if we were to take her along.

However, we changed her name, so we all know she's coming along.

"I know it's time for shift change when the spiders start crawling all over me!"

In the original, since Olivia got punched by the guard, she passes out here. In this version, I like to think that it's just general exhaustion and maybe a little starvation that makes her go down.

At least, that's how I read this scene, so I could be wrong.

That's the nice thing about being a grunt; nobody really notices you and as long as you're respectful and keep out of the way. Being on the bottom rung in basically any organization, you're basically treated like a mushroom.

In that, you know, you're kept in the dark and fed bullshit all day.

...Well, we're going with the significantly less creepy option here.

*straightens tie*

No respect, I tell ya.

Also, hey, have a Star Wars reference! That's the only reason I stayed dressed as the Trooper. I hope it was worth it.

: You're a Returner!? I'm...Or at least I was...General Olivia. Now I'm nothing but a traitor.

Not even going to ask about her betrayal, Nathan?

No? We're just...Skipping over that? Could be important!

: I appreciate it, but...Even if you got me out, you wouldn't be able to protect me. I'm better off waiting here for the executioner. At least that way, I'll keep my pride...

: I'll protect you! Trust me! You'll be fine! Let's go!

Eh?

Even if we wake him up, we can put him back to sleep.

:ninja: style.

Go ahead, Nathan, tell me you were "treasure hunting" through his pockets.

Oh, God, stab him, he's awake!

Oh, no, never mind. He's just dreaming about food.

I wonder what kind of bread he's dreaming about.

So, Olivia is a Rune Knight.

She only comes equipped with the Hairband, but barring some armor, we can get her kitted out.

However, we have no good Relics to throw her way.

I'll have to explain Runic at the end of the update, due to how it works, but take note that Olivia comes with some Magic; she currently has Cure, Poisona, and Blizzard.

The second door is still a save point, so we'll just go through to the third.

So, there's this ticking clock.

And a non-ticking clock. Since we have a clock key, and there's already one ticking clock, we'll just go ahead and wind this one up. Were this Resident Evil, we'd have to read a silly-rear end file to find out the proper time for this clock or we'd have to restore power to this room while finding clock hands. And we'd have to set it to the time the other clock showed, too, and possibly change that clock's time, too.

But, all we do is select the option and this shelf shifts over and we go through the uncovered door.

We're in a little dungeon area now, complete with a couple of new enemies, but we'll get them out of the way rather quickly.

As in, we're seeing both in this fight. How fun!

Vector hounds aren't much to worry about, even if their attacks do hurt a little bit.

Unfortunately, they're weak to Fire, and we only have access to Blizzard.

Speaking of Blizzard, here it is in action.

The Hounds have 166 HP a piece, so they're nothing too scary. And if you kill off the other enemies and leave a Hound by itself, they'll Flee instead of finishing the fight.

Nathan can tear these guys apart with ease, using the Genji Glove to its full effect.

The Hounds special attack is Bite, which deals a bit more damage than its regular attack.

I threw Olivia in the back row to start with, but that quickly changes.

The Commander will use this attack when he's left to his lonesome, otherwise he just has a regular attack.

The first hit deals double his usual damage and its immediately followed by a regular attack, which Nathan blocked. But, since they only have 102 HP, they're easily wiped out. They're also weak to Poison, but we don't have access to that, but we don't really need it.

The Commander is worth 85 EXP and 153 Gil, while the Hounds drop 128 EXP and 83 Gil.

We have hidden passages out the wazoo here, and plenty of good treasures to grab while we're at it.

Those chests are easy to grab, since we just have to loop around and grab them.

Olivia's Mythril Shield is better than this, but if you didn't have one around for her, it's a good shield.

This is better than her Mythril Sword, so its a straight upgrade. Also nice, if you didn't have anything worthwhile around for her.

But she still needs some armor. She has a pimp hat, but that just won't cut it.

And now we'll grab another piece of equipment, one that's really great for Olivia. Or anyone who uses magic-based attacks, really, so Terra can make great use of it, too, as can Leave, with his Blitzes.

This increases the damage of magic attacks by 25%, and you can throw on a second earring to double the effect. Oddly enough, you can only stack extra magic damage; if you have two Relics that increase physical damage (like two Gigas Gloves equipped on one person), they'll only get a single 25% boost. Just a little tip for those of you playing along.

Uh...I get a little discombobulated when looking through shots of me going through secret passages. When I take the shots, I'm always thinking that I'll remember it this time.

It never works that way. I can't remember poo poo for poo poo. I don't even remember what game we're LP'ing.

Though, someone did mention I've done Final Fantasy IV Advance and I'm now Final Fantasy VI Advance and they were wondering if I'll do Final Fantasy V Advance.

To answer that question truthfully, I'm not sure. I might. I might not. I'm not super familiar with Final Fantasy V.

Down this hidden set of steps is three treasures.

A Hi-Ether restores 150 MP to a given character.

While an X-Potion completely restores someone's HP.

And hidden down here is a Ribbon, one of the best accessories you can find.

While equipped, the character wearing it is immune to Blind, Zombie, Poison, Imp, Petrify, Silence, Berserk, Confuse, Sap, and Sleep. Ribbons let you not give a gently caress about status effects. I give it to Olivia since...well, why not?

Had I left it unequipped, though, I could have given it to someone in the next scenario.

Which is true of all the bits of equipment people are wearing. I can't unequip them because they're not in the party, but that's okay. We'll make it through the next few scenarios juuuust fine.

Which is an excellent question for her to be asking. Why should Nathan give a poo poo?

To be fair, he has rescued a couple of damsels in distress lately. Maybe it's going to become his new hobby.

I think he's supposed to have a tone akin to being comforting and calming, but I can't help but read this as him snapping at her.

Ultimately, I'm not sure how you're supposed to read that, but I think it's Nathan trying to be nice about it. From what we've seen of him, Nathan is a kind and caring soul, but definitely a stickler for semantics.

In other news, we're out of South Figaro!

However, we have to still get through the cave to Narshe, but it won't take long.

Some new monsters have taken up residence since our last time here, but nothing to be scared about.

Gold Bears are nothing too special, but they can drop some big damage, so I recommend killing them first.

I always expect bear enemies to be weak to Ice, but the Gold Bear is not. They do, however, have 275 HP.

The other guy, the Acrophies, is much easier to kill, with only 145 HP. They can inflict Stop on a character, which freezes them in place, but they shouldn't last that long. They're also weak to Lightning, but slicing them to sushi has the same effect.

The Gold Bear has an attack called Gouge, which deals 250% of its normal damage, so that's why I like taking them out first.

Gold Bears give out 160 EXP and 185 Gil, while the Acrophies gives out 90 EXP and 115 Gil.

At level 13 (I got a little lost while hunting for the Ribbon, as I never remember exactly where it hides), Olivia learns Imp, which can turn an enemy into a Imp. Party members can also be Imp'd, and when they are, their Attack is dropped to 0, and their base Strength is used to calculate damage. Their base defense is also used to determine how well they resist attacks. It also kills most commands and magic, except for the Imp spell and some special commands.

Anyways, let's get the hell outta here.

An odd noise? Near the healing spring? Well, that's probably not good.

:ducksiren:No matter what it is, though, we will kick the poo poo out of it.:ducksiren:

Just before the exit, everything begins shaking.

HEAVEN OR HELL

LET'S ROCK

: If that thing hits us with its magic...They'll be scrubbing two big scorch marks off the wall!

: So what are we supposed to do!?

: I'll draw its magic with my runic blade!

: And you'll be okay!?

: Just you watch!

Alright, Runic explanation time. Olivia can only use Runic when she has a sword equipped.

Runic can be used to absorb magic attacks, from either side. It will absorb one magic attack before needing to be reapplied.

It, uh, it has no effect on being punched in the face, though.

Anyways, the Tunnel Armor has access to two different magic spells, which Runic will completely nullify.

Olivia absorbs the base cost of the spell, and adds the MP to her own pool.

The Tunnel Armor has 1300 HP, so Nathan is going to tear it apart within a few turns, thanks to that Genji Glove.

Its other spell is Thunder, but Runic takes care of that with no issues.

This is the attack you need to look out for.

It hurts just as much as you'd expect a metal rod flung into your throat would hurt.

However, Nathan quickly finishes it off after that, and the Tunnel Armor dies as it lived.

Hmm. I was hoping to have something witty thought of by the time I wrote this.

Yes, we are. Let's get the hell out of here.

But before we do another update, I need another vote from you guys. One that you've made sure to BOLD.

Which scenario do we do next? Do we go catch up with Leave, after his trip down the River Lethe, or do we see how Terra and co. are rockin' around? I'll give you guys about two days, or whichever option hits 10 votes first.

What? I want to play more of the game, so I'm setting a condition where it should make it quicker to get back to it.

Leave fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 18, 2016

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Twelve: Rapid Raft Rides To Ridiculous Rinky-Dink Resolutions

Howdy folks, and welcome back! Last time, Nathan and Olivia escaped from South Figaro, and made their way to Narshe. Today, Terra, Remain and Banon are going to complete their journey to Narshe, so let's roll.

This is a loving lie. The going is piss-easy.

We still have to complete the raft ride. It's about thirty seconds of riding the river. Or it would be, but there are still random encounters, which tack on another fifteen or twenty seconds.

That's the end of the raft ride. As soon as you enter this cave, you're done.

And, yeah, it's just that abrupt. Sure, there's a screen transition, but you basically just enter the cave and warp over here.

Narshe is right over here, too.

See, I told you it was easy.

Oh, no wait, the developers realized that was too easy, so there's a bit of padding to go through.

Were this a Bioware game, we could potentially pass a speech-check and be done.

But, it's not, so we still have to take the long way around.

Instead, we get to see a 54 year old man get punched in the face.

In case it wasn't clear earlier, Narshe guards are kind of dicks.

Further evidenced by them punching Remain in the mouth, too.

Terra doesn't even try. And the guards don't try to capture her, or do anything else, really.

I'm pretty sure this is lifted directly from a romantic comedy.

Hey, it's okay. You didn't know that these two would get punked like a couple of bitches.

Anyways, we know of an alternate route into the town.

We'll just use the exit as an entrance!

Ta-da! One entrance, exactly where we need it.

Well, not exactly where we need it, but close enough for government work.

Heading south is a dead-end, so we've gotta go north.

Into the mines. The bridge to the right is a dead end.

We've already seen this. I think. Or not. If we haven't, well, you've a good idea of the place. If we have, you still have a good idea of the place.

Nah, we haven't seen that, since this room is new.

When we enter, this bit of light appears, and--Oh, hell, just look at what's next.

We have to follow that light path.

But some dialog first!

I'm not transcribing this dialog just to help pad out the update.

I already skipped a few shots in traversing the mines.

Which means we can just brute force our way through this "puzzle".

By straying off the path, we're surrounded by lights. Just like Remain said we would be.

By hitting the orange light, we can blow the lights away and continue on.

But, I'm sure you're wondering what happens if we don't hit the orange light.

We're thrown into a fight!

Against these undead guys.

They have 255 HP and are weak to Fire and Holy.

So we make short work of them.

And then proceed to do the puzzle correctly.

Viola!

For further padding purposes, there is a side-trip we can make while we're here.

It's this entrance, near where Terra fell deeper into the mines and Nathan came to rescue her.

It leads us back to where the Moogles assisted Nathan is saving Terra's life.

And we can finally go into this door!

It leads to Moogle Town! :neckbeard:

:allears:

:razz:

There's also a treasure chest in here.

It's nothing special, but it could come in handy.

The extra point of Attack isn't anything to be excited about, but it does boost Evasion by 10 points. The only downside is that only Terra, Remain and Olivia can equip it, and if Terra or Olivia attacks with it, it'll drain 10 MP to deal an automatic critical. That's a couple castings of Cure, or of Fire/Blizzard! Plus, it takes MP to use a physical attack, and I'm just not down with that.

Okay, let's scoot on outta here.

We've definitely been through here before. We're now back-tracking to go forward, but we're not back-tracking in the traditional sense.

It's like forward-tracking, but back through old ground.

Oh, wait, that makes it regular back-tracking, doesn't it?

Man, this entire update has practically been back-tracking. Sure, some of the places were new, in that we hadn't seen them before, but Terra had been through most of it before. Even if she had been unconscious for a chunk of it. At least the Moogles were new.

Arvis!

Arvis, you old bastard, where are you?

Nice save. I hope Terra didn't notice you basically forgot her existence.

lovely! You saw the warm reception you got!

Town Status: Neutral, but still punching people they don't like.

Yeah, they don't like him, either.

This seems like an odd thing for the developers not to throw some alternate dialog at. Especially since it's pretty easy to encounter the guards there. You'd think that Remain or Banon would mention the guards are assholes.

Banon, your action stance is freaking me out.

Fair enough. I know if an ancient avatar of magical power was found in my hometown, I'd be curious about what the hell was going on with it.

I have one idea of how to do that.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is where we close out this update.

Next time, we'll check in on Leave, and see how his impromptu attempt at swimming the river went. Stay tuned!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

That was a lot shorter than I remember it being :psyduck:

Part of that is the magic of editing and not giving a gently caress about the boring monsters we encountered!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Thirteen: A New Companion!

Welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI, we started and finished off Remain and Terra's scenario, getting them safely back into Narshe. Today, we're going to begin Leave's scenario, which is by far the longest of the three, so let's roll.

What dire fate, indeed?

Well, we start out here. No scenes of Leave floating down the river, unlike with the raft crew.

The only thing I do before heading out is throw some Hermes Shoes on him. In most other Final Fantasy games, Haste will double a character's speed, but in this one, it's a 30% increase, from what I've read. That's not exactly great, but that will help me pull out Aura Bolts and Raging Fists more often.

This house is important, for more than one reason.

First off, Bowser is just hanging out around here.

Secondly, there's a merchant riding a Chocobo, who has some items for sale that I'd very much like.

I'm not sure why he's dressed as an Imperial grunt, but it's not my business to figure these things out.

Gimme the goods!

He has some basics, but he also has fuckin' Shurikens.

At 30 Gil a pop, you have no reason not to fully stock up on them. Even this early in the game, 3,000 Gil isn't all that much, and you're going to want them, I assure you.

Invisibility and Shadow Scrolls both grant beneficial effects when used; the Invisibility scroll turns someone invisible, which renders them immune to physicals, but with the effect broken when struck by magic. The Shadow Scroll gives the Blink status, which is another form of physical invulnerability, but limited and eventually wears off by taking enough attacks.

Peace out, dog.

Bowser!

And Bowser's doggie!

Which is our main goal for this update; we need to reach that camp. If only we had some help...

From what we know about the Empire, it's one of two things. Either they're A) being dicks or 2) letting Kefka be a dick.

Alright, don't know what a Doma is, but that's probably not good. I remember what they did to the last castle they were at.

And Olivia did mention that Kefka was going to poison the entire castle...

Bowser's coming with us!

This is true; Bowser might be a named and official party member, but he's not going to stick around for this poo poo if he doesn't want to. After battle, there's a 1/16 chance that he'll just take off.

But, we're going to take him along, since he's going to be an asskicker, much like Leave.

He's also a little melodramatic, but being a ninja, what do you expect?

Oh, right, not a ninja. Assassin. My bad.

I gave him the Leather Cap, otherwise he'd just have the Ninja Gear and his Kunai, but look at that Evasion. The Ninja Gear adds +2 Speed, and the Kunai is just a weapon, so that's a natural 28 Evasion.

Throw is his unique command, and why I bought all those Shurikens. He can also throw daggers, swords, spears, rods, and some other weapons.

But, into the house!

That's reasonable for a couple of goofballs who just popped into your house.

Uh, that, not so much.

The lack of clock in this man's life has caused him to go insane. How curious.

At the very least, it's warped his sense of time.

:aaa: This could be the secret to immortality!

But, never mind that, to the stove!

Oh, Leave, don't touch that!

Don't, it's hot!

I tried to tell you.

Sir, the only thing that Bowser here has repaired is the problem of someone having too much blood in their body.

Uh...

I'm not sure if I like the implication here, what with annoying child and talk of throwing them to the wilderness.

After that, we quietly leave, without trying to think about if this man murdered his child or not.

Anywho, there's a forest to the east of here, and past that is the Imperial camp we want to go through.

We'll meet one new enemy along the way, so let's get that done as quick as we can.

Against some rabbits. Oh joy.

But, they work very well for showing off a ninja throwing a shuriken.

'course, we could throw these other things, but with the Shurikens I bought, there's literally no point. They're much stronger than these weapons.

So, the...Chippirabbit? Am I spelling that right? Hell, am I reading that right? I am? Oh, okay.

Anyways, they have 135 HP, so we're going to tear them apart in short order.

And they basically stand no chance of killing us.

Anywho, here are some shurikens in action.

Oh, hell, gently caress that, see it in action. Seeing a ninja chuck a handful of throwing stars into a rabbit's face should be a daily part of life.

Anyways, the Shuriken is a very powerful weapon; it has an attack power of 86, which doesn't mean a lot, but let's throw down some comparisons. Remain's spear has an attack of 70; Nathan's Air Knife has 76; Leave's Mythril Claws have 65. Bowser's own weapon has an attack of 82, so there's really no point in letting him attack ever, and just Throw poo poo all day. Especially since Thrown items don't give two hoots about what row you're in.

Giving out 53 EXP and 110 Gil a pop, I cannot find it in me to care about the Chippawabunny.

When you say past the forest, I would think most folks figure to keep going east, past the forest. Not hit the forest and then start going south.

But, technically, we are past the forest, so maybe I'm just being a little nit-picky.

It's not a long walk, but it feels longer than it is because of the random encounters. I think you'll actually spend more time in battle than it takes you to get to the camp. Or maybe my RNG was just rolling like that today.

Anywho, the Imperials have set up camp on the only patch of desert around for miles.

Taking a moment to hide might be the best course of action. Especially since Imperials like to roll with Magitek Armor, lots of soldiers, and general dickery.

And now we get to eavesdrop!

: Shhh! Keep your voice down! If Kekfa catches us, we're toast! They say Kefka's plotting to drive away General Leo so he can take over his position as general...

: Don't even joke about something like that. If that freak becomes our general, I'll quit!

: Shhh! What if he hears you? You'll be locked up!

: All right, all right!

Pretty ballsy, bud, taking poo poo about the guy when he's ten feet away in a tent.

Jesus, that portrait makes me feel uncomfortable.

Ah-ha, Kefka's being a dick! Surprise, surprise.

I wouldn't take that threat lightly, Soldier Alpha.

: What's wrong with that guy, anyway? It's like General Leo got all the good qualities a man could have, and Kefka got the rest...

That's important to note; General Leo is apparently a great man, despite being an Imperial General.

And Kefka, as we already know, is a scumbag.

Before we can hear about it, this black-suited soldier comes wandering up, looking very fly.

Ooh, Captains wear black. Grunts wear green, while regular soldiers wear brown.

I'm sure there's more diversity than that, but it's an easy and quick color scheme to follow.

Ah, this must be Doma. Let's see what's going on here.

I always expect a castle to have a more impressive front door. At least have a knocker, or some sort of motif.

And this is the assault team. I'm sure eight soldiers is enough to sack and take a castle.

"We'll start with the YMCA formation and quickly switch to Macarena style guerilla tactics!"

"The Thriller Dance is our ultimate formation, but can only be used sparingly! Do not expect to see it today, gentlemen!"

"Once we reach the throne room, use the Electric Slide to finish our mission!"

So, I cannot paint the picture of their assault with words and still images. It must be seen in motion to be fully understood and appreciated.

My favorite is the guy that just keeps gathering room and charging into the castle wall.

"We didn't anticipate having to defend against the Time Warp!"

"Again!? But it's just a jump to the left!"

"You forgot the step to the right."

Okay, I'm done with that. I can't think of any more dance moves.

Just so you know, in this context, this guy is actually a samurai. He uses katanas and everything.

Perhaps that will influences your thoughts as you BOLD a vote for what we call him!

Take a couple of days to figure it out, and then we'll catch up with how the assault on Doma is going.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Counting backward through the votes, it looked like Inigo and Jack were going to be neck and neck, but thanks to Jack's early lead, our new samurai party member is named Jack.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Fourteen: Monsters Come In Many Forms

Welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI, we began Sabin's scenario, Bowser joined our ranks, and we worked our way to a nearby Imperial Camp, where we learned an assault on the kingdom of Doma was taking place. The retainer of Doma was about to thwart the invasion on his own, but there's more to it than that, so let's roll.

Jack proved overwhelmingly popular for our new samurai feller, but I have to say, Indigo was a favorite of mine.

He's a bit stuffy, but that comes with the sort of position he has; he kicks it old-school.

Jack's got a bit of a strut when he walks around, too. He knows he's a bad mamma-jamma.

The other Imperial soldiers are still just banging their faces into the castle walls, so they're (correctly) perceived as non-threatening.

Before we go too much further, though, let's see what Jack's about.

Firstly, he's pretty heavily geared toward being a physical poo poo-wrecker.

Despite being the badass at Doma, he starts off with some pretty basic poo poo, but the Ashura is something we haven't seen before. Jack uses katanas, since he's a samurai and they're contractually obligated to use nothing but, and they all tend to have goofy-rear end names.

Jack has one of the highest natural Strength stats in the game, as well as very high natural Defense, but he's drat near the slowest character we'll be getting, and that magic stat is the worst in the game.

Bushido is his special ability, which lets him bust out special samurai tactics.

Fang is just a physical strike that has a lot of extra oomph behind it; Sky causes him to counter the next attack (which leads to a hilarious bug in both the SNES and GBA version of the game), while Tiger will halve an enemies HP.

But, we'll see two of those three in this fight, so let's get it on.

The Captain is absolutely nothing special. Hell, you have to actively work to lose this fight.

See the new charge bar that's popped up? That's Jack's Bushido meter; you have to let it charge to the desired number to use the Bushido tactic you want. It's...Ugh, it'd be more useful if it didn't take so damned long.

I'll spare you the .gif of charging up to Tiger, but that's what we're starting with.

Some of the animations for the Bushido strikes are quite fancy.

Tiger halves the HP of the enemy, so now we all know how much HP this guy has.

It's 456, if you didn't feel like doing the math.

Now, you'll notice that this guy took 9 damage, and that's because Tiger will also inflict Sap, which deals tick damage to an enemy until they're killed off. It's...Well, not very effective. It's certainly something, at least.

Most people will finish this fight with a couple of Fangs, but I wanted to be fancy. Even if I didn't make any .gifs.

Okay fine, you can have one of Fang.

Since Jack is mostly going to be using Bushido, I'll have to remember to put him in the back row. It's another one of those abilities that doesn't give a poo poo about your row.

We also snag a Phoenix Down, but I don't think I've ever gotten that before. I usually get a Black Belt, which offers a 25% chance to counter attacks.

And just like that, they all run off, nursing concussions and picking rubble out of their eyebrows.

I should mention, before I forget, that Jack is only 50. His portrait makes him look like second cousin to the Crypt Keeper, but in reality, he's not all that old. JRPGs have weird thoughts concerning age.

And this is Doma's shtick when it comes to battle; they prefer to wait it out and let their enemies wear themselves down.

But, never mind that, we're back with Bowser and Leave at the Imperial camp.

I have no idea why it switches Bowser to the party leader here, but I've seen it happen every single time. It's just one of those things, I suppose.

Anyways, moving past the doggie, we pop into this tent.

Where there's a chest that is stuck shut.

While we could just hit it, I think we'll need the force of a ninja kick to crack this mother open.

So Bowser gathers some room and

Launches through the top of the tent in his attempt to kick the chest.

However, the doggie hears him, so it comes to check it out.

It then gets up in our grill, so we've gotta put this dog down.

Dobermans are kind of badasss.

They can scratch and Bite you, like the last dogs we fought, so nothing new there.

This is new, though. Interceptor, Bowser's dog, will occasionally take a hit for him, letting him take no damage, while allowing Interceptor a counter attack.

Interceptor is ridiculously strong, taking one of these guys out in one shot; they have 465 HP, too, so he easily one-shot this dog.

Beyond that, we finish up with our usual techniques and reap our rewards.

Of a Hi-Potion, and 83 Gil per dog.

From the chest, we pick up a new Relic.

It makes the wearer immune to poison, which...Eh, Leave can wear it. Why not.

Let's move along.

Not very far, though, since there's someone new on the scene.

So that's Leo, eh?

Well, that portrait and sprite do not match at all. Unless Leo got a serious case of vitiligo between being painted and coming here...

That didn't exactly work out super well last time, if you'll recall.

Well, that's a good little soldier.

"Just so I know where to send the coffin."

Actually, no, Leo's not a dick.

Leo is, unlike most of the other Imperial people we've met, not a raging dickface.

While the Empire has been pretty well portrayed as Evil, Leo here is just a man serving his country. Why does he condone and help with their actions?

At this juncture, we don't know. Perhaps Leo just has high national pride, or he's doing what he thinks is right. He's a military man, an honorable one, so he's not doing this to spill blood and take lives.

Leo, you're quite popular today.

Leo takes the letter and starts reading it; I'm not sure why he had to turn his back to us to do that, but maybe they didn't want to model a little piece of paper.

It might have been more work than it was worth, Leo, just for a scrap of paper to show up in this one scene.

Uh-huh...About to fight a major battle, you get summoned back by der fuhrer?

That seems a touch convenient.

Gather 'round, soldiers, we're all going to bash our faces into bricks for practice!

"Start with plaster, and work your way up. Rome wasn't built in a day."

Leo's good people.

Alright, let's move on, again.

...But, not too far, again.

In this scene, we learn that Kefka is blind. Or, Bowser really is a great ninja.

I mean, he's just--Wait, what!?

Jesus Christ, Kefka!

Leo has the walk of a man who could beat your rear end.

Yeah, and let's ask the neckbeards not to catch food crumbs in their unkempt facial hair.

"I want good clean killing, you hear me?"

This is why you're a dick, Kefka, and why Leo gets invited to the cool parties and dinner with the richest man in South Figaro.

Though, I do kind of like this line.

Leo just walks off without another word.

He didn't spot us, either. Maybe that tailcoat keeps him from turning his head.

I just imagine a chillingly casual tone to that statement, like if you or I was asking if dinner was ready.

If Leo doesn't want dirty tactics, why did he let them keep poison around!?

If it wasn't bad enough, Kekfa is a team killer rear end in a top hat, too.

Okay, he'll pass, not notice us, and we'll go get that--

Oh, we're confronting Kefka directly. Okay.

Oh, buddy, let's dance.

So, this isn't a real boss fight.

I mean, Kefka can smack you in the face with a flail, but you'll notice he doesn't even have a friggin' name.

This is one of those fights where it takes one hit, from anything, to end the fight.

You might be wondering why Kefka is here as a sprite, besides the fact that this battle isn't a real fight.

It's because of his various animations; for those purposes, Kefka is actually, technically, a member of our party right now. He's kept as a sprite and put on the other side so he can react in the way he has in this fight.

Also, here's this line, since I know someone was waiting to cream their jeans from seeing it.

But, so yeah, Kefka was in our party. How 'bout that.

We already did that bit!

So we have to chase Kefka now.

I took the long way around, thinking there might be some treasure or something hidden. Not that I saw.

You ran fifteen feet, why are you tired?

No Meteor Strike .gif yet. There's a special moment I'm waiting for.

This is an entirely proper response to having your head slammed into the ground at Mach 2, however.

Ugh.

Oh, yeah, that soldier's really gonna help you.

You two take a minute to plan strategy while I raid this tent.

Alright, treasure!

Ooh, and a monster in a box. These guys are kind of rare, and are generally a lot stronger than what we're typically fighting.

This guy kind of works like the Alert, from FF4, in that he'll summon other enemies if we don't kill him fast enough.

Which we'll manage to do, but there's something interesting about this guy, if you hit him with a Blitz.

Oh, by the by, the Satellite has 1,800 HP, so we're off to a good start on dismantling him.

If we hit him with a Blitz, he'll counter with this attack.

Berserk increases your attack power, but at the cost of making the character uncontrollable and causing them to attack random enemies.

So, while Leave will start slashing his face off, Bowser is going to keep tossing Shurikens up his nose. Or the robotic equivalent of the nose.

The rest of the battle passes uneventfully.

Our only reward from this fight is the Green Beret, a new type of helmet.

In addition to the great stat boosts, it also increases the wearer's HP by 12.5%, which can be a hefty boost.

The other chest holds a new Relic.

I give it to Bowser. Protect is a status effect that causes physical attacks to do 33% less damage to the affected. I give it to Bowser because, eh, why not give it to Bowser?

I hope you two assholes are ready, because you're about to get a taste of each other's colons.

Oh, Kefka, you little bitch.

Templars and Imperial Soldiers are nothing special, even if they are a touch annoying to fight.

The Soldier has 100 HP, so they're...Nearly impossible to not-kill in one shot.

This is what's annoying, though. The counter comes after any attack, even if its one that would kill them.

Unless you block it; it doesn't really do that much damage, either.

The Templar possesses 205 HP, so they're a touch hardier, but still gigantic wusses.

They counterattack with Axe, which we saw in Jack's section.

Still not very impressive.

After the fight, we just get some money. No items or EXP; but they do have chances to drop Potions (Soldiers) or Hi-Potions (Templars).

But this gave Kefka enough time to go drop the poison in Doma's water supply, the son of a bitch.

I can understand we're at war, but there's still a line there.

There's still a need to treat your opponents well, to treat them as people, to respect their desires to live.

People die in war, as they always have and always will, but there is no excuse to resort to cowardice and underhanded tactics.

But, I can see that going off into a huge derail where I'll regret starting this thread, so I'm going to stop.

And I'm going to request that you guys don't start a discussion about that.

The water in Doma has been poisoned.

It isn't long before people start dropping.

One by one, people fall.

Their lives ending before they ever really knew what hit them.

But, really, though, Jesus Christ, did everyone drink at the same time? Is there coordinated drinking times in Doma?

That does what, makes your heart explode upon ingestion?

Let's just hope the king, like most days, didn't shower today!

That's what I'm fuckin' doin'!

Oh, yeah, that king is dead as a motherfucker.

Oh, he's not dead!

You're also staring directly at the carpet.

I want to remind you all that Jack is 50 years old. Japan, 50 is not some wizened age where you've seen all the poo poo life has to offer.

...Jack has a family?

Uh, Jack?

Maybe your family, Jack! Go check on them!

I understand he's your king and has kept your rear end in the castle, well-fed and paid, but y'know, you have a family that could be very dead right now.

poo poo, your room is right next to the throne room? Hell, that seems like prime real estate within the castle walls.

...Oh, no.

Oh, please, no.

This hits a lot closer to home than it used to.

Next time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, we're going to be tearing this Imperial camp a new rear end in a top hat.

Stay tuned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Yes, he loving laughs like that. It vaguely gives me the creeps.

• Locked thread