Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Click the meat for the latest update

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is the ninth release in Capcom's Monster Hunter series of "Hunting Action" games. The game is largely about beating up various types of dragon and making hats out of them, which, as it turns out, is extremely my poo poo. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is an updated rerelease of Monster Hunter Tri with a bunch of added content, new monsters, and more cats than you possibly have room for, but not as many cats as the games that followed it, unfortunately.

In this LP, I'm going to be largely gushing about Monster Hunter. It's a great series.

You should play it.

Thread Guidelines
  • Don't spoil monsters we haven't seen yet. Believe me, I'm the most excited to show off a monster that we hunt, but for the sake of people who haven't seen any of this yet, at least do me a solid and spoiler tag that business. You should do this especially if it's one we've only seen in the intro.
  • Don't be a dick
  • That's pretty much it.
Naturally, all of the SA Forum Rules and LP subforum rules apply as well.

Monster Hunter is a huge game. Like, hundreds and hundreds of hours huge. There's tons of missions, and DLC has added even more on top of the already ludicrous number of quests. There's hundreds of items with unique descriptions, tons of armor and weapons to look through, and lots and lots of little things that make the whole game tick. The game can be played in a multitude of ways, all of which are perfectly valid and fun and often, you'll find yourself changing the way you play radically to tackle new challenges.

So I'm not doing a 100% LP. If I showed every quest, crafted every weapon and armor set, combined every item, et cetera, we'd be here for the rest of eternity. I am going to show every monster, all of the story, and a good bit of multiplayer, as well as a little bit of extra stuff from a game similar to Monster Hunter just to show how "Hunting Action" has emerged as a genre. I also intend to stream the occasional grinding session every so often, and when I do, I'll link the stream here.

With me for the ride is DoubleNegative who, as far as I'm aware, hasn't played a Monster Hunter game beyond one of the atrociously bad demos. Of course, when multiplayer rolls around, we'll have some fresh faces then, as well.

So let's get right into it with :siren:Update 1: The Great Big Tutorial Video.:siren:

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

EPISODE LIST

-[1] The Great Big Tutorial Video
-[2] The Greatest Jaggi
-[3-1] MECHANICS: Skill Points and Armor Skills
-[3-2] BEAR.MP4
-[3-3] MECHANICS: Charm Tables, Kelbi Horns, and Harvest Tours :siren: Start point for people who don't want to know about charm tables
-[4] The (Intentionally) Bad Hunt
-[5-1] Spongy friend
-[5-2] Kenny Rogers Appreciation Station
-[6] Underwater Combat is Suffering
-[7] Math
-[8]The Main Event
-[9]The (Unintentionally) Bad Hunt
-[10] FEEL THE POWER
-[11] THE BEST
-[12] The Mk. III
-[13] Year of the Dragon
-[14] Barioth keeps freezing me and I hate it
-[15] The Brute-est of Wyverns
-[16] Superhot
-[17] Jay or Dave? Perhaps Both.
-[18] Stopping the Earthquakes
-[19] Pickle Mystery
-[20] The Ballad of Tom Rubnitz
-[21] Pink is My Least Favorite Color

MULTIPLAYER EPISODES
-[M1] Rude. (Featuring Miijhal)
-[M2] Blue Sharpness or Bust (Featuring Miijhal)

Other Monster Hunter-like games
-TOUKIDEN KIWAMI [1] Stylish

TENWREN'S MONSTER LIST POSTS

-Jaggi, Jaggia, Great Jaggi, Ludroth, Aptonoth, Epioth
-Arzuros
-Qurupeco, Rhenoplos
-Royal Ludroth, Barroth
-Gobul, Wroggi and Baggi and their Great versions, Popo, and Lagombi
-Rathian, Lagiacrus
-Bnahabra, Giggi, Gigginox, Melynx, Kelbi

GIFS and such

Grancheater immortalizes the most important hunting technique

I'm an idiot and accidentally posted this in games.

whoops.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 10, 2017

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
prance.gif

This is a hell of an undertaking but I'm rooting for you. Maybe. I may or may not be rooting for the monsters.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I am prepared to be laid low by the desire sensor for the rest of eternity.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
The fact you didn't name him Jojo offends and disgusts me. Shame on you. As a long time player of Monster Hunter for almost 3 days now, I am horrified and will be watching this thread so hard.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Good stuff. I'm a huge fan of the experienced player/blind observer setup for LPs and more than that, I love the hunting horn, so this LP is everything I could want. You're doing a really good job explaining the mechanics of the game, and DoubleNegative asks good questions. Wreck some poo poo (and pet that poogie)!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shlapintogan posted:

I am prepared to be laid low by the desire sensor for the rest of eternity.

I believe in you.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I love the sam hell out of monster hunter. I got 3 for the WiiU but I played it after MH4 and I can't not have a charge blade.

That said, pal, if you are interested in showing off some of the guild stuff send me a PM and maybe we'll find a time to do multiplayer?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I will second the statement that this man should have been named something starting with "Jo".

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Never got to play this one (started with MH4U) but I look forward to seeing those tales unfold here. I too weep for charge blade not existing yet, but you can't have everything. May the desire sensor be kind to BEEF's new brother.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Skippy Granola posted:

I love the sam hell out of monster hunter. I got 3 for the WiiU but I played it after MH4 and I can't not have a charge blade.

That said, pal, if you are interested in showing off some of the guild stuff send me a PM and maybe we'll find a time to do multiplayer?

Definitely will be showing off Multiplayer, but it'll probably be after we've seen a good few of the large monsters in the game.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
3U is still my favorite MH, excited to see what comes of this, and what armor/weapons you end up choosing to show off.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I'm just stoked to see some hunting horn love. It's the most unique weapon and the one I end up collecting all of to hear all the tunes

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Hunting Horn is great and once we get the appropriate armor skill, it'll go from great to nonsensical.

Next update will be on Wednesday, then I'll be updating either once or twice a week. I'm just super pumped to show off all of this hunting action.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Monster Hunter is one of those things that is just consistently impenetrable yet addictive. I spend most of my time playing MH cursing at the game, yet here I am anxiously waiting for my copy of Monster Hunter Generations to arrive in the mail.

Also, I'll second the love for the Hunting Horn. It was my go-to weapon for grinding [monster]s in 4U.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
Oh sweet, a MonHun LP! I'm very excited- 3U was my first but I didn't really truly get into the series until 4U. Now I have something new to watch while I play through Generations!

It literally just occurs to me that it makes sense that this is the game where you have the Shakalakas as sidekicks instead of cats. You go swimming all the time!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I hope you kill many large critters and make hats out of them.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Never played this, clicked at random.

Saw a man carrying giant bones down to a dock for some reason. Man turned around, was wearing assless chaps.

Saw a cat trade cabbages he farmed himself for fish.

Saw a guy in a pink pompadour playing the bagpipes, and then clubbing dinosaurs to death with the bagpipes.

Saw a steak cooked to perfection.

Hm yes good thread. Will follow this.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.

Mzbundifund posted:

Never played this, clicked at random.

Saw a man carrying giant bones down to a dock for some reason. Man turned around, was wearing assless chaps.

Saw a cat trade cabbages he farmed himself for fish.

Saw a guy in a pink pompadour playing the bagpipes, and then clubbing dinosaurs to death with the bagpipes.

Saw a steak cooked to perfection.

Hm yes good thread. Will follow this.

And to think. The fun is just starting.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Shlapintogan posted:

Next update will be on Wednesday

:toot: I LIED! We're doing it now

:siren:UPDATE: The Greatest Jaggi:siren:

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 2, 2016

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Because I said I would...

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
In the Square-Enix version, what is said in the last panel?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Rewrites

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Edit: I'm beaten and wrong.

Also, it's me. I'm the guy who uses the bow exclusively, because I'm a madman.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

bman in 2288 posted:

Edit: I'm beaten and wrong.

Also, it's me. I'm the guy who uses the bow exclusively, because I'm a madman.

Bow is really good! Except underwater where it is just The Worst thing possible.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

I'm glad you opened the video on you prancing.

This is good and correct.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
The closest I ever got to Monster Hunter was playing Toukiden on the Vita, and based on the conversation it doesn't seem like it was very close to monster hunter at all

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I love MH but 3U was my first game and I only made it to the start of High Rank before 4U dropped and took over my life. Good luck, these games seem like a pain to LP.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

3U was my introduction to this stupid, wonderful Skinner Box of a series of video games, and I've spent an unfortunate number of hours between it, 4U and Generations. I need to remember to tune in tonight and watch the videos.

I gotta imagine this would be a looooong LP :v:

(Also, 'sup fellow NCHProductions avatar-haver :hfive:)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Seyser Koze posted:

The closest I ever got to Monster Hunter was playing Toukiden on the Vita, and based on the conversation it doesn't seem like it was very close to monster hunter at all

Toukiden is the most orthodox of the MH clones, though you can feel the Dynasty Warriors lineage in it and it does excise a lot of stuff like the farm and consumable items.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
The Jaggiest Jaggi

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

It's important.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Bow is really good! Except underwater where it is just The Worst thing possible.

Read: I am a madman.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I was not especially sold on the hunting horn at first until you beat the Great Jaggi's head in with it. And then I noticed you were doing a merry jig with it, and when you did it looked like the bagpipes were a festive headdress.

I'll always be a Greatsword man myself, though.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
That tutorial video is the first time I have ever seen my name with my spelling in popular media, I guess I am a farming cat now.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Awwwh yeah, MonHun! It says nice things that you got me over my instinctive dislike of the Hunting Horn (Still dislike Bowguns, though, despite their utility), and reminded me that I still hadn't gotten high rank in any of these games (I really should.)

Also, Toukiden got mentioned, and it should also be mentioned that as of June last year, Toukiden is no longer console exclusive. Kiwami is on Steam. Can't tell you how good the port is, sadly, as it's only on my wishlist, but I can tell you the formula's close enough that I mistook it for a MonHun game when somebody was streamin' it with the title "Monster Hunter HYPE!!!" on the Generations release day. :v:

Now if only a MonHun game of some sort came to the PC and was released in the West (Yes, I know about that MMO.) I'd LP the poo poo out of it, even knowing beforehand about the usual MonHun pattern that means 90% of the work of this LP is behind the scenes.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Unfortunately, the PC port for Toukiden isn't too good. A lot of powerful hardware can't seem to keep it at 30 frames per second, and the keyboard and mouse controls are abysmal. It's unfortunate, but hey, we've got God Eater 2 coming out on PC at the end of this month, so hopefully that'll be good.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

As a fella who spent about 90 hours on Toukiden and a further 40 on its bullshit degenerate cousin God Eater, I can say only Capcom seems to have figured out the formula. Which is to say, every weapon actually feels different to play, and as such engenders a feeling of ownership.

Such as the ownership that Jaggidrome felt when you took the high road and splattered his Bonnie all over the ocean.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Watching you edit your way through swaths of Ludroth and Jaggi is the absolute best. Please keep doing this.

Hey, would you mind if I posted pictures/Monster List blurbs of the monsters you encounter in the video? Only the monsters you have successfully hunted, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Yes, please do!

• Locked thread