Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I love MH but 3U was my first game and I only made it to the start of High Rank before 4U dropped and took over my life. Good luck, these games seem like a pain to LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The Switch Axe does indeed own, pretty sure I used it the whole time I played 3U.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So All monster hunter games (I dont know if the first few did) give you a little companion to help you in solo play.
Usually it's a felyne, and they dont get any, or much, lines of dialogue or importance.
They're also all adorable and you can dress them up in armor that you get the pieces for pro bono when creating your own armor.
So you can go out in your giant dragon armor with your little buddy also in giant dragon armor:

In this one they give you cha cha. who is terrible.

Counterpoint: I would rather listen to Cha-cha's weird tribal babbles for an hour non-stop than ever hear the awful Felyne sounds. They're so grating and so frequent that they became an in-joke between my wife and me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I had LR Volvidon armor in 3U, I want to say it was Atk Up S, Evade +1 and Tremor Res, with an easily gemmed-out "cold affects you more" skill. You may have even been able to gem up to Atk Up M, I can't recall. Good skillset for a Switch Axe user like myself!

It also had Torso Up boots, which are always rad.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Aw I like Diablos :( That scream sounds really good, plus it is super-easy to chump in 4U with the Charge Blade and guard pointing.

Also neither type of Blos is in Generations, though as you said Diablos is back in XX and has a variant form as well :eng101:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Shlapintogan posted:

I hope XX has good monster intros. The ones in Generations are just awful.

I heard they cut down on them in order to keep the game's filesize small. I bought it digitally and I think it was only 1.5 GB or so.

God I need to get my rear end in gear on Generations, I'm still only HR3.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh boy, that stinger image :allears: Woe to you who doesn't get it, though admittedly I never got very far into HR here so I didn't get the full experience.

Ceadeus is a cool design but yeah having to do the whole thing underwater is a pain. Its gear looks totally rad though.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 7, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Having played a bunch of MH in the last couple of years, the beauty of it is that despite how much customization there is in the game, everything is do-able with a given equipment setup as long as you're not going out of your way to gimp yourself. Granted some monsters are easier or harder with a given weapon (Tigrex, which isn't in this game, is a pain with ranged weapons but easily chumped by the Charge Blade in later games) but any hunt can be successfully completed with any equipment so long as you keep it up to level.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Let's Play Monster Hunter 3U: Jho Jho's Bizarre Adventure.

Deviljho is such a well-designed monster that I'm sad I never got to far through HR here. It's just a T-Rex except made out of nightmares, it does such a good job of invoking fear. Also its music is totally inspired by Rite of Spring (the dinosaur segment from the original Fantasia) and that kind of owns.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Red hot chili pickles

Also Deviljho is the first monster you can usually find where the rage mode makes it much, much more deadly.
There are a few monsters whose rage mode also is a as much of a game changer but theyre instantly recognizable.

If a monster's appearance changes when enraged, that's a good indicator to watch the hell out when they're enraged. See: Tigrex, Gore Magala, Rajang (none of which are in this game). Diablos kind of fits this too but it's a real subtle visual change- it starts breathing black smoke when it's enraged.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah also this is the hunt that made me put down 3U, as I did it immediately after that Jaggi hunt were they introduce Jho and I went in with no HR gear and no concept of how Dung Bombs worked. I think I triple-carted within the first ten minutes and was like "well 4U is about to come out, I'll just wait for that". That was one pickle surprise I never recovered from.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
So Breath of the Wild is that good huh :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Aw a shout-out :3: I just like watching other people play MH because I don't play it multiplayer as much as I should. Or at all, for that matter.

I like having a monster like Pink Rathian at this point in the game because it pretty much forces the player to come to grips with the idea of having specific loadouts, or at least specific armors, for certain hunts. Quite a few really tough monsters can be made easier with the right armor skill.

• Locked thread