Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Click the meat for the latest update

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is the ninth release in Capcom's Monster Hunter series of "Hunting Action" games. The game is largely about beating up various types of dragon and making hats out of them, which, as it turns out, is extremely my poo poo. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is an updated rerelease of Monster Hunter Tri with a bunch of added content, new monsters, and more cats than you possibly have room for, but not as many cats as the games that followed it, unfortunately.

In this LP, I'm going to be largely gushing about Monster Hunter. It's a great series.

You should play it.

Thread Guidelines
  • Don't spoil monsters we haven't seen yet. Believe me, I'm the most excited to show off a monster that we hunt, but for the sake of people who haven't seen any of this yet, at least do me a solid and spoiler tag that business. You should do this especially if it's one we've only seen in the intro.
  • Don't be a dick
  • That's pretty much it.
Naturally, all of the SA Forum Rules and LP subforum rules apply as well.

Monster Hunter is a huge game. Like, hundreds and hundreds of hours huge. There's tons of missions, and DLC has added even more on top of the already ludicrous number of quests. There's hundreds of items with unique descriptions, tons of armor and weapons to look through, and lots and lots of little things that make the whole game tick. The game can be played in a multitude of ways, all of which are perfectly valid and fun and often, you'll find yourself changing the way you play radically to tackle new challenges.

So I'm not doing a 100% LP. If I showed every quest, crafted every weapon and armor set, combined every item, et cetera, we'd be here for the rest of eternity. I am going to show every monster, all of the story, and a good bit of multiplayer, as well as a little bit of extra stuff from a game similar to Monster Hunter just to show how "Hunting Action" has emerged as a genre. I also intend to stream the occasional grinding session every so often, and when I do, I'll link the stream here.

With me for the ride is DoubleNegative who, as far as I'm aware, hasn't played a Monster Hunter game beyond one of the atrociously bad demos. Of course, when multiplayer rolls around, we'll have some fresh faces then, as well.

So let's get right into it with :siren:Update 1: The Great Big Tutorial Video.:siren:

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

EPISODE LIST

-[1] The Great Big Tutorial Video
-[2] The Greatest Jaggi
-[3-1] MECHANICS: Skill Points and Armor Skills
-[3-2] BEAR.MP4
-[3-3] MECHANICS: Charm Tables, Kelbi Horns, and Harvest Tours :siren: Start point for people who don't want to know about charm tables
-[4] The (Intentionally) Bad Hunt
-[5-1] Spongy friend
-[5-2] Kenny Rogers Appreciation Station
-[6] Underwater Combat is Suffering
-[7] Math
-[8]The Main Event
-[9]The (Unintentionally) Bad Hunt
-[10] FEEL THE POWER
-[11] THE BEST
-[12] The Mk. III
-[13] Year of the Dragon
-[14] Barioth keeps freezing me and I hate it
-[15] The Brute-est of Wyverns
-[16] Superhot
-[17] Jay or Dave? Perhaps Both.
-[18] Stopping the Earthquakes
-[19] Pickle Mystery
-[20] The Ballad of Tom Rubnitz
-[21] Pink is My Least Favorite Color

MULTIPLAYER EPISODES
-[M1] Rude. (Featuring Miijhal)
-[M2] Blue Sharpness or Bust (Featuring Miijhal)

Other Monster Hunter-like games
-TOUKIDEN KIWAMI [1] Stylish

TENWREN'S MONSTER LIST POSTS

-Jaggi, Jaggia, Great Jaggi, Ludroth, Aptonoth, Epioth
-Arzuros
-Qurupeco, Rhenoplos
-Royal Ludroth, Barroth
-Gobul, Wroggi and Baggi and their Great versions, Popo, and Lagombi
-Rathian, Lagiacrus
-Bnahabra, Giggi, Gigginox, Melynx, Kelbi

GIFS and such

Grancheater immortalizes the most important hunting technique

I'm an idiot and accidentally posted this in games.

whoops.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 10, 2017

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I am prepared to be laid low by the desire sensor for the rest of eternity.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Skippy Granola posted:

I love the sam hell out of monster hunter. I got 3 for the WiiU but I played it after MH4 and I can't not have a charge blade.

That said, pal, if you are interested in showing off some of the guild stuff send me a PM and maybe we'll find a time to do multiplayer?

Definitely will be showing off Multiplayer, but it'll probably be after we've seen a good few of the large monsters in the game.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Hunting Horn is great and once we get the appropriate armor skill, it'll go from great to nonsensical.

Next update will be on Wednesday, then I'll be updating either once or twice a week. I'm just super pumped to show off all of this hunting action.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Shlapintogan posted:

Next update will be on Wednesday

:toot: I LIED! We're doing it now

:siren:UPDATE: The Greatest Jaggi:siren:

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 2, 2016

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

It's important.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Unfortunately, the PC port for Toukiden isn't too good. A lot of powerful hardware can't seem to keep it at 30 frames per second, and the keyboard and mouse controls are abysmal. It's unfortunate, but hey, we've got God Eater 2 coming out on PC at the end of this month, so hopefully that'll be good.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Yes, please do!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Skippy Granola posted:

If you edit an egg-straction in the same way you're dead to me though. Cowboy up and carry egg :colbert:

Wish granted. Monkey's paw wish.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Look, I'm already leaving an egg quest unedited, that's torment enough.

There won't be eggs in the next video.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

We've got three videos lined up today. Start yourself off with this brief explanation of skill points and armor skills. They're super important to know about early on, and even more crucial as the game goes on, so we're going to start looking right away for some skills to complement our incredibly fashionable hunting style.

But, we can't just talk about that and not hunt something with our nice new armor, so let's capture a bear and absolutely not mess it up at all. Capturing monsters is a great way to get yourself some rarer materials from them and can also make hunts a little easier to finish once you get it down.

Finally, here's an explanation of charm tables and harvest tours. Charm tables are an important part of Monster Hunter, since they determine which charms you can get, but due to a bug in 3U, you only get one when you make your character instead of being put on a different one each time you load the game. Knowing about that and trying to influence which one you get can :siren:negatively impact the game for you:siren: so maybe consider starting here if you want to just get to the bit about harvest tours.

Updates are going to start being anywhere from monday to wednesday each week, depending on if I have everything ready. Definitely will continue updating weekly, but my work schedule is a little all over the place right now, so who knows!

E: Here's the fish finder tool.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 9, 2016

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

For real, if you're having fun with the game and think you're gonna be okay not knowing, you're almost certainly better off not knowing. Thankfully the bug doesn't exist in 4U and Generations, so you can completely forget about it in those games.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I'd actually say it would be best to start with 3U, then when you feel like it's starting to wear, switch to 4U with some Generations on the side. 4U is the best game in the series, and if you play it first, it may make the other games less appealing, which is not to say that 3U or Generations are bad by comparison, just that 4U is so monumentally good that 3U or Generations just won't be able to stand up to it.

I've been playing a lot of Generations recently, though, and it's pretty neat, although I feel it makes the player too strong relative to the monsters. It's especially weird coming from 4U, which just feels so well balanced.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

The (Intentionally) Bad Hunt

So far I've been pretty good about going on hunts with everything I needed, but what if I was doing this blind? In this update we take a look at what a hunt might look like if you don't keep on top of your equipment and items.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

At least in 4U and Generations we still get Yian Kut Ku, who is indisputably the best.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Did you know Rhenoplos become magnetically attracted to you the nanosecond you start using an item? It's true!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Ideally I'll have the next update up for Monday, but it may have to be Tuesday. I hope you are ready for the triumphant return of the hunting horn.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

First up we have Ludroth 2: Ludroth Harder, the much anticipated sequel to Ludroth 1: Water Assholes. Following that we have a fight with our first brute wyvern. Brute Wyverns are sacks of HP that take forever to kill if you aren't properly set up. Thankfully, this fight also marks the triumphant return of the bagpipe so we are honestly the most prepared.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

No.

MachuPikacchu posted:

If you're playing Monster Hunter, looking stuff up on Kiranico is almost mandatory. Once you're well into the game and you have to grind/scavenge for specific things it helps a ton.

By the way, here's the Kiranico hub for MH3U in case you're playing along with the LP!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

3U was my first Monster Hunter and i remember at the time Barroth was considered a pretty big wall for most new players.

I was one of them :v:

I don't believe that Qurupeco quest you did in an earlier video is strictly mandatory but the Barroth quest is, so the game is REALLY hammering by this point that maybe you should get out of your starting armor and upgrade your weapons shithead. Trying to take down Barroth with a yellow sharpness Hammer was probably the first big epic moment i had in a Monster Hunter game, and only because i brought it upon myself.

Qurupeco is a Key Quest, so I'd have to do that to unlock the 3-star Urgent Quest. Barroth and Royal Ludroth were also Key, so I would've had to do all three of them even if I wasn't showing off every monster for the LP. I did Qurupeco first when I first played through the game, and I was an idiot and thought to myself "I'm going to make a hammer out of this Barroth thing so I can come back with a green sharpness weapon and really give this bird the business", so I can sympathize with trying to literally hammer out a Barroth with yellow sharpness.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 24, 2016

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

MachuPikacchu posted:

I would just like to add that I came across this Twitter account yesterday.

This is a good-rear end twitter.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

:siren:UPDATE::siren:

I hate underwater fighting.

Skippy Granola posted:

We all do, Shlap

I'm glad we agree.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 30, 2016

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Hunting Horn or Switch Axe probably would've been a better option for Gobul when I was fighting him. They have lots of reach and good underwater movesets, but I wanted to show off the hammer because I love it so much.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I'm getting geared up to get STEAK into Multiplayer soon. With what I have recorded now, I could probably go ahead and get through HR1 and part of HR2.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Today we hunt some variations on monsters we've already hunted but with some extra gimmicks that make them stand out. Also, we're really good at math.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Iodrome is pretty eh to fight, yeah. You know what isn't eh to fight?

Let's fight a Lagiacrus

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Heads up, but depending on how tomorrow goes, the next episode may be a little later than usual. There definitely will be some Monster Hunting Action this week, though.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Today we're going to change locales, play some tunes, forget what difficulties are available in Resident Evil 4 for the sake of an analogy, and do a little thing called MULTIPLAYER.

This episode features Miijhal as my hunting partner. She's super cool!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

The poke is a really quick way to get out a second heavy note, which is usually followed by a performance/encore combo, so it's not entirely useless.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Next update will be Wednesday. I got the commentary and everything recorded but thanks to work I haven't really had time to get it all set in. Next week there will probably be a stream to get Lagiacrus armor, so expect some degree of suffering as I grind for a plate.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I hate Gigginox almost as much as I hate underwater fighting.

Also, let's take a quick look at Hunting Action through the lens of Musou games in Toukiden Kiwami, a stylish game about killing oni to make hats out of them.

Unrelated, but DoubleNegative also started an LP recently. It unfortunately involves 100% less prancing.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 28, 2016

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Look, I don't have time for optimal strategies, I work for a living! :v:

(I just didn't feel like grinding Wroggi, is all)

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

UPDATE

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

:siren:STREAM TIME:siren:

I got lucky and got the Lagiacrus plate I needed, but I figure I should also probably go for the Duramboros armor as well. Come watch me suffer at http://www.hitbox.tv/Bohampscious.

Edit: Had to switch to Twitch, hitbox was having problems. Here's a link

Edit2: Done. Got the Lagiacrus armor finished off, looked wholly incompetent the entire time.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 6, 2016

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

If you missed the stream last night, you can watch me being incredibly bad at this game I try hard to make myself look good in here.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Nibelsnarf.

There you go.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I dont wuite like this point of the monster hunter games.
That crappy period between green and blue sharpness where monsters start getting big health buffs and youre still with many of the same basic armor skill and weapon options.

The fortunate thing is that we're not too far out from High Rank, so at least soon we'll be getting the big upgrades we need. I'm debating grinding out the Lagiacrus plate for the Bolt Axe+, because that should carry us the rest of the way, but god drat if I don't hate grinding Lagiacrus.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

We have this sick new armor and this awesome new hammer, we may as well use it on something round and Arzuros-like.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I, for one, cannot wait to hear the measurements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Double post but

• Locked thread