Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Might as well post this while there's still time.

Appropriated from the Scandinavian politics thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I like to imagine there is a poster called this with a member of ABBA with the Beholder head as his avatar.

In an alternate universe somewhere...

Jose posted:

its really lame as is putting anyone on ignore

Agreed.

e: I'm not actually intending to put on him ignore.

Do as I say not as I do and all that.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Just got a text:

'Jeremy Corbyn here. I'm running for leader to build a Labour movement serious about winning power. Will you back me? Reply YES, NO or MAYBE. Or STOP to opt out.'

At least Our Jezza doesn't text in the middle of the night like your needy ex.

'Do you think we could get together again? Reply YES, NO or MAYBE. Or STOP to opt out.'

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So how long until this thread goes full Stirner and denounces the entire concept of group identity as a 'spook'

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Can't argue with that.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Gum posted:

gotta smash state

I never realized Shadow the Hedgehog was an ancom.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

HorseLord posted:

You keep oscillating between the people to be suppressed being actual anticommunists, who are as described above, and who I would want suppressed, and other communists, who merely disagree on policy, who I wouldn't want suppressed.

HorseLord posted:

My fourth bit is wondering why you think I'd even care that people went to gulags.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

Dehumanise whitepeople and face to... twittershed???????

Woodshed.

e: Oh I'm at the top of the page.

On this day in 1981, US President Ronald Reagan fired the 11,345 striking members of the Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization en masse.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 5, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Rio 2016: Team GB swimming kit goes missing from [Olympic Village,] leaving athletes without swimwear ahead of Olympics.

This is going well.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

e: no

1965 – US President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Voting Rights Act of 1965 into law.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 6, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Come on, people.

It's Moronic descent.

We can't keep getting this wrong, people will think we're dumb or something.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

There were Jewish people in Hungary.

Is.

Well, a few.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

StoneOfShame posted:

I'm not keen on salmon but as a similar bread example I could eat Foie Gras on white bread but its much better on toasted brioche with a glass of Sauternes.

I will show myself to the wall.

The name of that wine sounds like some generic Norwegian coastal village you'd come across in a mystery thriller novel.

I'd read it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I can't believe recent UK politics have been calm and uneventful enough to let foodchat last this long.

Something horrible is about to happen, isn't it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

This isn't the best thread to ask about how the conservative brain works because we haven't been able to make a conclusive decision between the competing theories of "What brain?" and "Lots and lots of cocaine?"

Nutrients, mostly.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

If you pick it you'll make it worse

I don't think bones work that way.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Firos posted:

Why? Are you an expert or something? You know how we feel about experts.

They're boned in the new post-Brexit economy?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I don't get this wint account.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Also Farage's been kidnapped and replaced with his evil twin.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As with all roads in Essex what appears to be incredibly stupid behaviour is simply an extended attempt at suicide as the only viable way of escaping the horror that is Essex.

Keep posting excerpts from DesperateDan's biography.

e: How do I keep ending up at the top of these pages, I barely even post.

e2: 1947 – India gains Independence from British rule after near 190 years of Crown rule and joins the Commonwealth of Nations. :india:

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 16, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I'd wager he might be a bad enough dude to rescue the labour party.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Sea water is good for your skin.

We should all get in the sea.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Trolley is the mind-killer. Trolley is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my trolley. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the trolley has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Cerv posted:

no you won't cos the trolley will have pancaked you

Sounds like you're still struggling with your trolleys, friend.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 16, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

IIRC he reads all the papers including the Heil. Gotta know what the enemy's thinking.

Is that how the trots got to him

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Another nice destination is bed.

I'd recommend everyone to go to bed.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Portugal imports so much dried fish from us for their bacalao.

Portugal is good.

e: Really now.

e2: 1858 – U.S. President James Buchanan inaugurates the new transatlantic telegraph cable by exchanging greetings with Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom. However, a weak signal forces a shutdown of the service in a few weeks.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 16, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

I've never travelled first class tbh. Don't mind me i'm just jealous, I wish I had the spare cash to fly half way round the world for a communist festival I hope you have a great time.

What sort of projection do your maps use.

I need to know.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So what flavor of communist is the Portuguese communist party anyway?

Like are they M-Ls, ancoms, Syndies, Trotskyists, confused SocDems or what.

e: Whelp.

e2: 1900 - Portuguese journalist and author, José Maria de Eça de Queirós, dies.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 17, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

general-election-loss.jpg

The itshappening.gif of 2016.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1g5g09_life-after-people-episode-1-life-after-people-discovery-history-science-documentary_tv

Life After People was pretty interesting, the upshot is after 10,000 years about all that will be left of us are the pyramids and some really rich iron mines where cities used to be.

Those would also be some of the only sources of useful metal, as basically all the easily findable ore deposits in the world have already been mined.

Which by extension means any post-disaster society would have a hell of a time advancing past the stone age.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

kapparomeo posted:

-Cechnya
-Former Yugoslavia
-Cechnya again

Chechnya.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The man literally implemented the Night Tube inside 100 days of being elected without the unions going crazy. That's an incredible achievement. I would at least be willing to give him some time to deal with other things.

What's the night tube

I'm assuming it's either a subway or a really terrible superhero

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yorkshire Tea posted:

It's a government provided rubber tube with stars on the inside to help people sleep.

Sounds like a decent investment, tbh

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Both Mair and Corbyn subscribed to extremist publications.

> Blitz weeds

How did we never realize

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Eat the car

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a word for that particular kind of architecture that is sort of like brutalism but not actually good, it's generally really flimsy looking, covered in dark grey pebbledash, and completely square.

Because brutalism is actually kind of cool, I just hate that shite budget brutalism stuff.

Britishism.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

TomViolence posted:

I would agree with this, but I've seen Scotland spontaneously become interested in tennis just because one of us is good at it. Nationalism is cancer in every context.

Chess became really popular here in Norway after Magnus Carlsen got famous.

That was, a few years ago, dunno if it's still much of a thing.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I've heard being mildly inebriated helps you aim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Plans to replace Human Rights Act with British Bill of Rights will go ahead, Justice Secretary confirms.

• Locked thread