Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Looks like I capped off the July thread so I'll post it here.

Today was my daughters fourth birthday. We had a party with ten of her little friends yesterday. Naturally it was all princess stuffs. We had Queen Elsa come and the little girls lost their minds. It was a ton of work getting everything ready before but the actual party was pretty chill. All the girls wore their princess dresses, played some games before Elsa showed up. Then she just entertained and told them stories and sang to them. Opened some presents and then had cupcakes and cookies. It was a great time and a good time to be a dad.

For today we had some of her cousins come over. Smoked a couple of pork butts and had some mashed potatoes, fresh green beans and some rolls. This wood pellet smoker has changed my life y'all. :btroll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

:allbuttons: That was not what I was expecting to be the cause of 50+ new posts. Congrats and wow! Congrats though - babies are pretty awesome and we recently pulled the goalie ourselves to see about pulling off a hat trick. With our history we pretty much just need to make sure that my wife just washes our clothes in the same batch and she'll probably get pregnant.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Powershift posted:

Pimp the vinegar, meatdrink.

MustardFacial posted:

What is AI's opinion on the FRS/BRZ? I like the idea of them and kind of want one, but at the same time I think they are stupid.

Not fast enough. I think the price point just ended up higher than it should have been. I remember when frsbrz Fever hit there was a YouTube series called BRZ or That? They basically explored similar performing cars and different price points, or similar price point cars and performance differences.
I just can't see a place where I say get to get a toyobaru twin over something like an E46 M3.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I'm gonna grab a banana.

We can all read through the lines.

I signed up at the gym again. :toot: My neighbor on my street wants someone to go with at night after kids are in bed. It's been a good 10 months since I was last there. My weight has stayed about the same (175ish) but my preferred weight I'd like to be at is 165-170.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

MrChips posted:

cut my booze consumption in half (and doubled the cost of the stuff I drank - best decision ever).

I did this same method but applied it to ice cream with the same conclusion.

I don't drink alcohol at all so I've got that going for me.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

In a previous life I was a FedEx ground driver. I could equally rattle off stories of assholes all day but will settle for one. Dude was getting a Dell laptop with signature required. Went to the house, knocked and rang etc. I'm not shy about knocking either. He calls the terminal to say I never tried and obviously I was some sort of idiot that was at the wrong house. I then told the terminal that he was obviously wrong and wasn't home and then went on to describe the house in explicit detail with location on the street, type of door, landscaping, etc. Ground drivers are paid according to performance and delivering 100% every day is expected.

Had a good day. Hand washed both the M3 and the Flex including a good wheel scrub. Vacuumed out and filled both up with gas. It was a good bonding moment. Then went to Costco only to find they had USDA Prime brisket flats at $3.29/pound! I bought one a little bigger than 14 pounds. Cut it in half to freeze one side. I've got the dry rub on the other half and it's all wrapped up getting ready for tomorrow. I'll be waking up at 5 and throwing it on the Traeger smoker. Come 6:00 tomorrow I'll be busy getting my meat sweats on and crying for the sweet sweet taste of BBQ. :fork:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Late replies but I don't log on much over the weekend so :effort:

Raluek posted:

I've definitely heard that FedEx takes that sort of thing a bit more seriously. UPS might be cheaper, and might work fine 90% of the time, but anytime there's an issue or irregularity FedEx seems to have a way of handling it, whereas UPS seems to just poo poo itself in confusion as per Geoj's story. Does that jive with your experience?
I really respect the hell out of FedEx for being able to just get poo poo done. Where I work now we ship exclusively with FedEx and USPS Priority Mail. It is an extremely rare instance that we have people to vehemently are disgusted with FedEx. We ship international priority packages to Asia/Australia/Canada/EU daily and FedEx can deliver packages to them in 2-3 days for an absurdly cheap price. UPS handles far more parcels and maybe it is in part to unionized people don't really give a drat, but it isn't hard to argue that simply based on volume there is likely more chance to have things come to a grinding halt and pooping themselves.

nm posted:

My experence was the exact opposite. I had some camera equipment shipped fedex ground to my office. We have a full time receptionist. 3 times "business closed" at like 10am. This was after I called after the 2nd time.
They had to send it air to get it delivered.
I had similar issues with my apartment. Instead of calling at the gate, they'd piggy back in and then stick the notice on your door without ringing the bell. Fedex ground office was 25mi away because socal sucks.

What is usually not understood is that FedEx is broken down into different companies. There is FedEx Ground (contracted/kind of franchised business), FedEx Home Delivery (also contracted), FedEx Express, which handles all 3-day, 2-day, next day, and international shipments (Corporate) and FedEx Freight which I know jack-all about. Your condition is really odd and dumb. Again the goal is to get rid of every single package every single day. Not delivering a package means you(the contractor) doesn't get paid, you don't hit your performance bonus goals and the package is just going to be on your truck the next day to get delivered. If the business was closed I would scan the box as an "indirect" delivery and get the person next door to sign for it. Make a note of the suite or office number and then leave a door tag on the door of the recipient. That information will also show online for the tracking number that "J Smith" at "Suite 105" signed for 1/2/10 package(s) or whatever. Honestly you must have had a lazy rear end driver. Being a customer you have a fair bit of power to make things happen. If you call and file a formal complaint against the driver then the contractor would be hit with a fine, usually like a hundred bucks. Too many complaints and it could put a contract in jeopardy - so often contractors will "fix" the problem by either firing the driver or telling the driver to pull their heads out of their butt.

The gate/apartment thing I totally get. It is often sketchy to leave a package at an apartment. poo poo gets stolen ALL THE TIME. The FedEx guy doesn't know if that package is worth $50 or $1500. Some buildings are locked from the outside, some have gates, some require codes. Say a package does get stolen the recipient always jumps to "This idiot delivered it to the wrong place" or "The idiot FedEx guy stole my package" when the correct answer is "Your shady rear end neighbor took it". No package is worth taking because nothing in a box is worth more than a job. Additionally there are security measures in and out of the FedEx terminal equal to a pat down by the TSA as well as a bag check. When the package goes to the front office it is in a secure location.

Depending on your drivers workload and route I would often try to swing back around there at a different time of day for a delivery. After you deliver your packages you have scheduled pick ups that often will have you weaving through where you were delivering earlier that day. For me my pickup windows started around 2:30 in the afternoon. Windows are one hour long. On a typical day I would have anywhere from 80-100 delivery stops. I needed to average about 15 stops per hour to finish on time for my pickups. There are stretches that I could squeeze in 18-20 stops in an hour. A stop can be a single package or 30 packages. Being a FedEx guy was an interesting job with some fun stories. I learned a lot about supply chain management too which I have transitioned into my career.

This is a lot of words and maybe needs a thread to go through it all but being a FedEx guy was a fun year of life actually. I enjoyed the scenery and the misery but had a sense of accomplishment. The pay was crap but what can you do? I can go into more details if anyone wants to know more.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Yeeesh. Makes me feel marginally better than the time I wished my cousin a happy birthday hoping he and his wife were doing well. He casually replied that they got divorced earlier that year. It was an odd correspondence.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Man, I own too much poo poo. I need to get my materialism under fuckin control.

Start a new thread is the obvious answer. It worked last time.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Did you break the drill bit off? I've always gotten them off with a hand impact driver with JIS bits. You could probably get them torched out, they're 100% there for retention, so even if you leave the stubs broken off in the hub, it won't matter. You could also go after then with a carbide rotary burr.

This is what I did with every Mazda brake rotor I have replaced. I hit it with PB blaster and one of those screw extractors that you hit with a hammer. When that didn't work I went from smaller to bigger sized drill bits until the head was gone. Then did what meatpimp suggested with beating the hell out of the rotor to get it off. If the rotor is not coming off easily then you either having drilled the head off enough or you have a seized rotor on the hub, which will require copious amounts of PB

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

angryrobots posted:

You're not alone.

I'm Somewhat Heroic and I'm a Mac. :downs:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Any form of the bachelor/ette/in paradise franchise crap makes me want to drink sulfuric acid. This is terrible. Why do people watch this?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I had a coworker mention that their weekend was ruined because the finale to one of those shows was spoiled from them. I wish I could live a life that simple.

This comment lightened my mood considerably.

I'm not a Star Wars nerd by any means but that trailer looks awesome. I enjoyed TFA and if Disney wants to pump out films like that every year for the next five years then I will gladly watch them.

Speaking of films I started watching that doc called APEX: The Story of the Hypercar and it is really good. Beautifully shot and really makes me wish I was part of the .1% and not just the 3%.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Has a pretty demanding week at work and it's the weekend now but I'm feeling a case of the sadbrains which isn't normally my style. I feel like I'm letting my wife and kids down because after five days of rear end kicking work I need to let my mind settle but with a two and four year old that just doesn't exist. It's not like my wife has it all handed to her at home with the kids either.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

700 is the new FAAAAVH HUNNERIT HORSEPOWER

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

This is a good video and very applicable to all who post here. Let it be known I have checked yes.

https://youtu.be/TeVLxcekEsw

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Some genius was attempting to sell stolen AC units on a local Facebook group. The police responded to a tip and he posted his address where you could come to buy one and as my cop friend tells it, there were 30 of them in his garage.

While theft is illegal, stupid isn't. That's comedy gold!

Looking for tips as a relatively 'dumb' computer tech person. We are cable cutters and as such have an Apple TV to stream on our different televisions. Our Netflix and Hulu apps stream fine, but any of our purchased shows and movies on iTunes take an rear end load of time to buffer and start streaming and have now become virtually unusable(your show will be ready in 3 hours and 58 minutes). Our wireless router/modem is a Centurylink unit. Speed test shows our speed is good as well as our dashboard for our router. The router/modem is just over 3 years old.

Do I need to use the centurylink modem? Or do I get a new wireless router and hardwire it to the modem and turn off the modem from broadcasting? If it helps I'm pretty much all Mac stuff (computer, ithings, Apple TVs) so I'm thinking of grabbing the airport router. Tussen Takk, is that The Right Choice because It Just Works :smug:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Being bummed out is when your wife tells you she got a pork butt to smoke and when you go to prep it the night before you are going to cook it discover it's a pork sirloin roast. :( She's bummed out too but I've told her it's not a big deal. Except now we have to figure out what we're eating tomorrow.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Currently at a short layover in Las Vegas on a short trip for work.

I'm going to Southern California to watch a race of 1/5 gas RC cars. I'll be heading back home tomorrow evening mostly because I didn't want to destroy my weekend. :iia:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

angryhampster posted:

My son is one year old today. I'm a very happy and proud dad. Love that little guy. :)
Proud dads are best dads. It just gets better and better.

meatpimp posted:

I'm waiting for my light bulb's firmware to update.
That's a September thread title.

Today was a good day at the office. Those on the FB group will see after I get some stuff posted up.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

I know. But I'm hungry.

I hate doing the crutch when I smoke (foil wrap) but a few years ago I had a brisket stall at 168 for six loving hours.

Good BBQ is a cruel mistress. You're at the whim of a hunk of loving muscle.

I'm okay with the crutch. Pork butt is an easy piece of meat too. Foil it and stick it in the oven at 275 and all those delightful flavors will be there for your taste buds.

Smoked 8 pounds of ribs yesterday and they were achingly perfect. Did a modified 3-2-1 method. More like 3-1.75-.5. Tender, moist, and the smoke ring nearly went through the whole meat. With about ten good smokes on the traeger the seasoning is really coming in to its own. It's using less fuel, holding temps better and meat has been reaching temps nicely too.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

bolind posted:

I feel your pain. We sorta got married in steps due to various reasons, but we're flying in the inlaws this week for a small dinner with my folks and some very close friends. Fine and all, and it's not going to be so expensive compared to others', but holy gently caress do things add up anyway.

Wife is pressing for rings. I've repeatedly told her that she can have whatever she wants, but I'd prefer no ring myself. She keeps bugging me, and now I've gotten whiff that something that rhymes with smothering flaw has purchased a matching set. Very much a first world problem, but I'm still a bit bummed that I told my wife specifically that I didn't want something, and yet she went ahead and did it anyway. I'm trying to keep the poo poo I own from owning me, and now there's another thing I have to stress about for the rest of my life.

I have three rings. One was like $150 that is tungsten and white gold and cool as hell. We also got a couple that were cheap (like $5 each or something) one is ceramic and one is titanium. Men's rings shouldn't be expensive and there is not much more exciting on my tungsten ones over the cheaper ones. I am considering getting one of these because ring avulsion is a real thing and nasty. This is a local company too. I have some friends that have changed to them and they are pretty neat.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Still small, but I'm slowly developing a problem.

If anyone can find the classic NSX from the Then and Now, and the new Aston from the same series, I would be much obliged. And the other 3 BMW cars.

Oh god I have a problem

I buy every BMW hot wheels car I come across and give them to my kids. They are getting beat up and chipped but it makes me happy because now they scream out every time they see one saying 'oh dad look a roundel!' I don't have that Z4 M coupe that's rad as hell. I wouldn't hesitate to buy that Mazda RX-7 either. I've also bought my son a grip of the Disney Cars cars. Max Schnell the German DTM car is awesome. I forget the Aussie V8 super car name but he is also awesome. All are inferior to Wingo the tuner car though.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

Can anyone identify the car in this video? Car prowler in the neighborhood

https://youtu.be/kLnVIEmWFRU

Have you tried zooming and enhancing? That works in movies all the time. I'd say second generation Mazda 3. Look at that goofy smile on the car as it pull around. The tail light location in the distance makes me think hatch back too.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Phone posted:

Eat the eggs smash mouth

:douche:

Why do I even get references like this.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Well your definitely not having awesome floor sex.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Trip report: Taking a four year old on proper roller coasters for the first time at Disneyland = :hellyeah:

So jealous! We took our kids in March and my oldest (daughter) was too short for Radiator Springs by about a half an inch. She should be tall enough now in the right shoes. I want to go again but refuse to drive my kids again unless they can not suck at road tripping. A drive from Salt Lake to Anaheim is not that bad - but the kids made it terrible

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Parenting (and Disneyland) is expensive but drat it is fun.

The worlds most magical churros. When we went we dragged my parents along so my wife, daughter, and mother did the character dining with the princesses. My daughters head about melted. My then 1 1/2 year old son had the biggest eyes when he saw Woody and Jessie from Toy Story and gave them the biggest hug. :3:

I want to go to there. They can have all my :10bux:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

The ginger is the only surprise in that list, to me.

-Chris

Many thanks to forums poster Goober Peas aka -Chris for your insightful thoughts.

Today I got up at 4:30 to put a Boston butt on the smoker and it's deep in the stall. Likely will need to foil it and shove it in the oven when I get home. A 14 hour cook at 225 just doesn't bring it to temp sometimes. :sigh:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

leica posted:

I have a black belt in miatajitsu, I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed of this

:goonsay:

You know the answer. So what I thought was the stall from hell turned out to just be my thermometer probe not reading correctly. When I went to foil and crutch the pork shoulder and plugged the probe back in it was reading 203 degrees on the money! It was wrapped in towels and thrown in a cooler for a couple hours until our guests arrived. I've still got like 2 pounds of smoked meat left :perfect:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

spog posted:

Did she appreciate the romantic gesture of the new car?

'Darling, thanks for 10 wonderful years. My love for you is like a Fiat Mulitpla.......'

(someone else do the punchline)

It's not pretty but it will last forever. :rimshot:

Today I took my concealed firearms class with my dad at a local gun store. It was very educational and long overdue since getting my pistol a few years back (though it's bigger than I'd ever carry). I don't think I'll ever actively carry anyhow but having the option to is going to be nice. Bonus is the Utah permit is valid in 37 states :woop:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Check your state laws, one of the side effects of having a permit to carry here is that I can have my shotgun in the truck without having to break it down and remove the shells from the holder on the sling when I'm out hunting. Under usual Iowa transport laws, it'd be considered loaded if there were shells on the sling, but a permit to carry means I can have it in the car 'loaded'. (Never carry an actually loaded shotgun in the car.)

Yes I plan on spending a good amount of time making sure I'm familiar with all the laws. It was a four hour class and packed with a lot of information. Utah is a very pro-gun state and when applicable and a state law exists it will supersede the federal law. Some recent changes include ones personal vehicle to be viewed as an extension of ones home and you can carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle. Utah is an open carry state, meaning you can legally carry a firearm in plain site as long as you are two actions from firing. There has also been anti-harassment laws put in place that if you are being harassed for either open or (legally) carrying concealed the person making the complaints can be issued a citation.

I don't see myself going anywhere outside the state to carry so really I'm only going to be familiar with the ins and outs for Utah law. I'm going to look into a good firearm for carrying. I was amazed at how inexpensive the Ruger LCP (380 caliber) was. Small enough that in a pocket holster it could be considered a wallet or smart phone. My buddy has a Shield which is a single stack 9mm that is about the same size I'm gonna check out and try firing.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

RIP Gene Wilder. :(

I was coming to post this. That is terrible news!

Adiabatic posted:

lmao quote != edit

e: legit tho incoming "gently caress 2016" glitter text for two days over some dude that hasn't been relevant for 45 years.

Shut your whore mouth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Sword and Scale is a crazy podcast. I heard about it from some coworkers. I have not listened to them all, and some I have skipped over because :barf: but true crime stories are pretty frickin crazy man.

• Locked thread