Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Hello everyone its August.

I'm going to make beer today (probably)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

What.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

meatpimp posted:

In non-baby news, last week Amazon had Samsung 250gb SSDs listed for $29. It had to be a price mistake, since the seller was Sur La Table and it was an older drive. I bought 2, just to see what happened. The deal was over within a few minutes. But I checked later and it was available to purchase again, so I said "what the hell" and ordered 9 more.

So, I paid just over $300 for 11 SSDs... but then shipping showed a package weight of more than 17 pounds in total. I checked with them and they said:

They all showed up today. :wtf: am I going to do with 11 bottles of high-end balsamic vinegar? :laugh:

:laffo: That's awesome. Obvious answer is keep a couple and give the rest to friends/family/coworkers/donation places.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

88h88 posted:

Free baby? Sweet.

Initial purchase price is low but don't let that fool you. Maintenance costs skyrocket real fast.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

ssjonizuka posted:

That's low, even for y-...

:ohdear:

Hope they're ok man.

BB gun won't do a whole lot of damage unless it hits the eyes.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

ssjonizuka posted:

i'm not saying you're wrong, as I wasn't there and don't know the circumstances so I won't speculate too much. I would just like to point out I have a pellet in my chest that was shot from an air rifle. drat near had to have surgery to get it out when it happened. fortunately, no notable health impact, but even past that... PTSD is a hell of a thing.

Holy cow! Glad you're okay.

I didn't mean to sound insensitive, if it came off that way. I'm glad the guy in this instance is okay too. Its hard to know what to expect from air guns because there's such a difference between an airsoft, a daisy, and a high powered air rifle.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

spog posted:

I still can't get over the whole coming home from a day at the office, looking forward to a quiet evening in front of the TV and *bam!* - instant fatherhood!

I can't get over being the new mom in this situation. Just going about your day when suddenly it becomes apparent that not only are you pregnant, but you're giving birth RIGHT NOW.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

scuz posted:

Tomorrow is the opening night for a zombie musical in which I play a zombie-fied version of basically Bettlejuice crossed with Master Shake. Pretty nervous since I've only ever done this like one other time and it was the same thing but for friends and family. The cast is great, we've had a lot of time to get it right, everyone's worked their butts off, still have night-before jitters.

If every food in the universe were replaced with chicken fried steak, I would be so happy.

Is this for fringe or otherwise?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

fridge corn posted:

I took my cats to the vet for their booster jab s. Both are the picture of health. Thanks for reading

Please post pictures of said cats.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Nice cats. Tyvm

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Tommychu posted:

With my last couple rockauto orders the guy's been setting the box down on the doorstep, butted up against the screen door, ringing the doorbell and loving off. Since the door opens outward, the screen isn't a removable panel and the boxes were full of brake stuff and way too heavy to push with the door without wrecking it he's effectively trapped me in the house both times.

Rip tommychu. Rip in peace

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

QuarkMartial posted:

I appreciate alcohol and the fact that this subforum doesn't poo poo on you if you ask a stupid question.

Do unto others, friend.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Tide posted:

I could write an awfully long post about things, but I won't. All that matters is the path forward.

Internally, my state of mind is pretty much this on spin cycle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Z3lmidmrY

Means a lot that something I said had a positive effect on someone.

There's nothing in this world that can't be helped by Stan Rogers.

Rise again.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Geirskogul posted:

Tecate is a knockoff Dos Equis and is bad and you should feel bad

One time I was drinking tecate and watching parts unknown and then Anthony Bourdain and the dudes he was hanging out with we're drinking tecate and using it as targets for shooting a bunch of guns. That's my tecate story.

Also regardless of the brand image of Stella, its a pretty decent beer and you shouldn't feel bad about drinking something that has a negative brand association somewhere else in the world that isn't where you're drinking it, IMO.

Regarding beer chat; I took a sample of the English pale ale I made last week and its gonna be pretty good. It has attenuated well and in a couple more weeks it should be a pretty nice beer!

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Phone posted:

You're calling stuff that isn't an IPA or amber a sour. Wheat beers are beers, too.

They make a portion of it with a lactobacillus fermentation. It is def a sour, though not a super sour one.

In fact most traditional sour beer styles are also wheat beers. (Lambic and gueuze, Berliner weiss, and saison [saison doesn't have to be sour])

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Yes but saying New Belgium Snapshot is not a sour beer is false.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Ether Frenzy posted:

The REAL reason you shouldn't buy it in cans & bottles in the US is because for some inexplicable reason they're 11.2 oz instead of 12oz yet the same 12-pack price as other similar brands.

Its because its the 350ml euro size.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Ether Frenzy posted:

I have never seen a can of beer in any part of Europe that was not 440ml... and the US bottles used to be 12 oz and the cans used to be 14.87oz. So inBev has made some move in the last couple years to keep it at the same price point while simultaneously raising the price, and 'we only want to bottle for one size' isn't the legitimate reason.

Yeah I guess cans are different. Bottled European beers are very commonly 11.2oz/350ml, but inBev being inBev must've decided to make cans that size too to keep sizing uniform make more money.

E: or to ensure that all of their products fit their oh so special ~~chalice~~

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Sours are already pretty big but I don't think a similar arms race will occur because some of the very traditional sour beers are already at the top of the sour scale. See: Berliner Weiss

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Liquid Communism posted:

Went out for a haircut and some dinner, and ended up in the ER tonight. Got to set up a surgical consult in the morning, since my gallbladder has decided to do it's damnedest to make me tap.

Sheesh that's no good! I remember when !y dad had kidney stones -- similarly sudden and very painful.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I have a question for our Australian friends:

Regardless of the Holden vs. Ford rivalry, is the Mad Max pursuit special universally regarded as cool?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

I fall pretty strongly on the side of holden in the retarded holden v ford thing that goes along down here but i would give nuts for the pursuit special (i would rather have the stolen hq at the start tho).

Thanks. I watched Mad Max recently and needed to know.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I dont know a single Aussie that isnt an inbred fuckwit that doesnt think The Interceptor is the greatest thing ever

Supercharger... ON A SWITCH

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

If you put the egg in a couple of zip lock bags the mess shouldn't be a problem.

Otherwise a peach or plum or other small fruit would probably show damage while making less mess. Still should probably go in a bag though.

E: protip: use organic eggs -- the shells are usually way thicker

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Despite the reports of behind the scenes chaos I'm confident this fill will be better than TFA.

TFA was good.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

The main problem is that police are too violent. This expresses itself as the killings of black men because of social racism and especially a fear of black men. So you have trigger happy officers looking to stop black men, who they then are more prone to shoot. White people also often get killed by police but black people are unfairly targeted by police overall.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Super Aggro Crag posted:

We are short a man today so I am helping the construction crew by babysitting 10,000ft of cable on the ground. I am basically walking around in a small circle for 8 hrs straight making sure it doesn't get hosed up. I am so bored.

There's a nice ol' forum full of stupid threads to shitpost in!

Just try not to get probated or banned. Then the fun's over.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

The Locator posted:

So I got a free bottle of ice tea with lemon from the grocery store (new product free sample thing). I check the label, 0 calories, so not jacked full of sweetener or anything, so cool. I open it up and take a big swig... What the gently caress.. it's carbonated? Who the gently caress carbonates iced tea? What a stupid idea... blech...

That sounds pretty tasty, personally.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Adiabatic posted:

Its okay bro youre talking to a god damned moron anyways:

lmao

Just lmao

Sailboats are good and cool and sailing owns. What kind of boat?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Adiabatic posted:

1977 Catalina 22

We've been doing a shitload of research on sailboat bullshit and what not to buy, and I feel that I have successfully become overconfident in my sailboat purchasing abilities.

The great part is this bitch cost $1500 (similar boats are going for ~$3500) so when this one sinks on day one after the wife and I run it into something completely avoidable, we can probably sell the trailer for like $700 and we're only out less than a grand.

We picked a Catalina 22 swing keel because:

1. Anything up to a 25 is trailerable. There's a few marinas here but gently caress slip fees when you have a backyard and redneck tendencies
2. Swing keels make this way easier since the draft is so small.
3. Anything up to a 23 is, in general, super easy to step the mast. This one, with practice, can be done in 5 minutes.
4. Anything larger than a 19 is built to not capsize constantly.
5. Catalina 22s specifically have a huge following. They've been described to me as the VW Beetle of the sailboat world

So yeah, sexy topless pics of the wife to come.

Catalina 22 is a solid boat that will last a long time. You may find that you get tired of launching it all the time eventually and break down for marina fees. Swing keel is super useful, also.

A keelboat of any size is almost impossible to capsize, due to both the righting moment of the keel, but more importantly the hydrodynamic forces acting on it when under sail. It is the yang to the sail's yin. Also once you heel enough you are dumping wind so the righting moment becomes more effective.

A lot of cheap boats are cheap because of interior or ancillary stuff that people don't want to deal with. Obviously you're no stranger to fixing your stuff, and as long as the hull and deck are in good shape, you're fine.

Also for the love of God always use marine grade components. Even in fresh water anything without that price tag is going to dissolve rapidly.

Sailing is awesome, have fun! :cheers:

Tommychu posted:

Not Your Father's is available in Canada now (we had a few hard root beers as of a couple months ago but they were all from companies I'd barely trust to get 'beer' right so I waited for the US imports to start showing up). Not a fan. The first one's nifty but crack a second and the sugar catches up to you and hits like a freight train. Don't regret this 6-pack but there won't be a second.

I had pretty much the same experience. The first one was kind of cool but every one after just felt like it would've been better as a beer or a root beer, not both.

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 23, 2016

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

rdb posted:

I am sure you already know this, but join BoatUS or SeaTow before you put it in the water. Tows cost lots of money otherwise, I have seen a bill for just over $1400 for a tow from the bay back to the ramp at Gloucester point. Glad it wasn't mine.

Sailboats don't need tows. :smugbert:

(I'm kidding that's a good idea)

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Adiabatic posted:

how do i sailboat

Yo I race sailboats and have sailed for many years. Whatchu wanna know?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Adiabatic posted:

Dude thanks!

1. The upper shrouds and backstay both have way too much slack, even with their respective turnbuckles AND the forestay turnbuckle tightened all the way. We're going from closed to open turnbuckles but that shouldn't give us any more tension. Are we going to need to replace these lines, or am I doing something super dumb and not realizing it? They're probably original or at least have a decent amount of age on them, so there's probably a decent amount of stretch.

2. The jib tack is currently not connected to anything and we don't see any lines. There's a few clutches and one winch on either side of the cockpit, and a pulley on either side of the cabin, and I assume this is for the jibsheet. However, I haven't the slightest clue how to rig it to the jib tack.

3. There's a downhaul, a boom vang, and an outhaul mainsheet on the boom. There may also be an outhaul? I guess there would have to be. I dunno the wife was over there mostly when we set everything up. Anyways there's also a line running horizontally on the bottom of the mainsail, from the clew to the tack, weaving through grommets in the mainsail. What is this?

1: Hard to say without looking at it personally, but it is entirely possible that you have something in the wrong place. I'd bet that's probably more likely than the whole rig being too long. That said, if you're replacing the turnbuckles it may be possible to shorten the stays if need be, but you should exhaust all possible configurations before doing that. I'll see if I can gain any insight from the picture you posted a couple pages ago.

2: I think you might be confusing your terms because the tack is the fixed corner at the bow, and the clew is the corner that the sheet gets attached to. The general procedure for rigging a jib sheet is:

Attachment points in bold
A) Affix sheet to clew of sail with a bowline
B) Run sheet between shrouds and lifeline (that route may be different depending on the size of the jib) to the jib lead. This should be the pulley to the side of the cabin top, but it should either be on a track on the deck or attached to the gunwales. Could I see a picture of that to get an idea of the placement?
C) If there is a winch and clutch/cleat directly in line now, the sheet goes to that and you trim from there. If there is a turning block, it has to go through that first.

Repeat procedure for the other side. Remember to always use line that is made for the purpose. Cheapo rope will abrade, bind, and not withstand UV. If the PO has not supplied you with line, congrats on your first expensive sailboat equipment purchase!

The jib tack is commonly rigged to a ring or hook at the bottom of the forestay. If you still have that tiny jib rigged, try one of the other ones. The little storm jibs are the least commonly used, especially in smaller boats where people are more likely to just not go out if the weather is bad. Because of this, they're usually the first ones to get their ancillary lines and stuff removed because a previous owner needed 3 feet of line and that's where he knew he could find it. The tack of one of the larger jibs should also go all the way down to the deck, or near it.

3: There shouldn't be a downhaul on the main. Downhauls are used on spinnaker poles to prevent them from flying upward in a spectacularly violent fashion. On the mainsail this is accomplished by the vang and the sheet. You might be seeing a Cunningham, which pulls down on the luff of the main to help the halyard with luff tension. There may or may not be an outhaul. Some less speed oriented boats don't have them, but that line you're describing might be related. Could I see a picture of that?

Hope that helped. Let me know if you have any other questions. Also feel free to pm me.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Adiabatic posted:

Lmao I had this thing entirely replied to and I got a bad MAC read when I submitted. Welp...

1. Standing rigging is definitely correct. Three anchors port and starboard of the cabin. From bow to stern: front lower shroud, upper shroud, rear lower shroud. Forestay is attached to the anchor at the bow. Backstay isn't split, it attaches to an anchor on the stern about a foot starboard of centerline. I have a document that tells me the nominal lengths of all the rigging on a Catalina 22 so I think the next step is to compare to actual and see how much they're stretched.

2. I'm totally loving up the terminology. There's definitely a jib lead on a track, and there's two clutches and a winch. Pic for reference:

I haven't looked at the other jibs yet. That's solid advice to check them for jib sheets! I was wondering why that jib was so small.

3. I don't trust my recollection of all that's there enough to reply. I'll step the mast again this weekend and hook everything up and take pictures.

SCA Enthusiast dude thank you so much for the knowledge.

Happy to help! Sailing owns super hard and I love doing it.

So yeah you'll run the jib sheet through the lead, use the winch to trim, and hold it fast with either of the two cleats. (The cam one is superior in every way). Looks like on that setup you may need to run the sheets on the outside of the lifelines? You'll have to figure that one out. And yeah, like I said, rigging is expensive.

One thing you never ever ever want to do is put a stopper knot in your jib sheet. If it needs to go you want to let it. Conversely, you do want a stopper knot at the end of your main sheet. You always want to be able to recover the boom.

Did you get any winch handles? That's another primo purchase if not. Its good to have at least two.

E: remember that lines always go clockwise around a winch.

E2: the lead is also a pretty important trimming point. Moving it foreword or aft has a pretty major effect on your sail trim. But more on that later.

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Adiabatic posted:

but for real 2016 has been awesome and i wont have you lambasting her like that

Its been up and down. Prince is dead though and that still bugs me.

Also, the worlds oldest living parrot, Cookie the cockatoo, has died at the age of 83.

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 30, 2016

• Locked thread