Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was about to make a thread that just had an OP with the word "chat" typed 10,000 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

Also: If you haven't, go read Frank Herbert's Dune

If you do this, absolutely do not read past the third book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The best books are the ones they turn into movies so I don't have to do any of that gay reading poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

The Dune miniseries was better than the movie.

I drew pictures on the wall of the asylum with my poop that told a better story than the Lynch film.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'd be a bit leery of the second and third as well. First, undoubted masterpiece. This is how bad book six got - Kevin J Andrews is an improvement in his loving prequels. I just finished House Atreides and while it's fairly dire, it's nowhere near as bad as the poo poo Herbert was making GBS threads out at the end.

I read the first prequel when it was released and it was so terrible I tossed it in a bonfire.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I derailed the Post Your Ride thread and it's been sticking in my head all day.

I live in an exceptionally nice apartment. I have two nice cars, a large toolbox full of tools, decent cloths, a large tv and tons of dumb nerd poo poo. Like, we filled a box truck when we moved a year and a half ago. And I'm sitting here sort of longing for the days when I drove a cheap Cherokee and lived in a basement studio and owned next to nothing because drat those days were simpler.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Liquid Communism posted:

There is something incredibly freeing about knowing you can put everything of value you own in the back of your shitbox car and take off cross-country on 24 hours' notice if you want. I miss it.

If not for my girlfriend I'd probably still be living that live. Or not giving a gently caress and crashing at my mom's place to avoid paying rent. The amount of stupid poo poo I own is nuts and I am pretty tempted to purge again but I'm worried that I'm too materialistic to do it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I've been trying to help a friend buy a new car (he wants a Fiesta). We've gone and test drove a few, he's really enamored with the cars and pretty much made up his mind on it. So he finds a really nice one for sale private party for $7K and goes to get a loan. Well his bank turns him down, he has a home loan and another small loan (or so he tells me) so he goes to my credit union since they're running a special on auto loans. And they turn him down. He tried another CU today. They turned him down. So I asked him flat out how much debt he's carrying. He tells me "about $36,000 in credit cards right now, plus my previous debt consolidation loan for $25K and the $180K we owe on our house." Turns out he had credit cards at each CU some years back and defaulted on them in his bankruptcy. He tells me he has no savings, and $800 in his checking. He and his fiance are literally living check to check.

I don't know how you get to be 49 years old and have absolutely no financial responsibility.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phone posted:

I mean, I'm bad with money, but like I just opted to not buy a new suspension for the NA and an extra set of wheels because I'm OK with the idea of being financially solvent.

He's a really great guy with a heart of gold and I think some of his money problems may come from lending money he doesn't have to people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

go3 posted:

No don't sugar coat that poo poo.

He's an idiot.

I didn't say he isn't!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I guess he's a guy who just never grew up and embraced being an adult. Even I got my poo poo together some years back and started putting money into savings.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it I think I broke the elliptical!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cakefool posted:

Still clinging to that "not fat" rock?

I'm pleasantly chubby!

Our machine has a single column that hold the controls and upper arms instead of the two column designs you see at gyms. I think I may have cracked one of the welds at the bottom because it's swaying a bit harder than it did previously.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cakefool posted:

Don't mind me I'm just being a oval office.

I wouldn't be using it if I didn't need to lose a couple pounds.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cakefool posted:

I lost 10lbs altering my diet to accommodate lactose intolerance, then another 5lbs putting the patio down. I'll be happy at this weight if it moves around and a little turns into muscle.

I was down to 185 about 18 months back. I got lazy and started drinking beer and eating fast food again. I've got my diet under control again, now I need to do a little work to get back to where I was. Currently 205.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cakefool posted:

And you just reminded me I got up to get booze 15 minutes ago and came back with citrus fruit. Thanks, Glenmorangie on the go now.

I'm gonna get a banana.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

We can all read through the lines.

I signed up at the gym again. :toot: My neighbor on my street wants someone to go with at night after kids are in bed. It's been a good 10 months since I was last there. My weight has stayed about the same (175ish) but my preferred weight I'd like to be at is 165-170.

You're getting me and STR confused!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm 5'8" and have been as heavy as 230. I was on a supplement program when I dropped so much weight. It's going to be a battle to get there again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yup, looks like i broke one of the super thing factory welds. Of course this happens when I get motivated to work out again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mariooncrack posted:

Hope this doesn't kill your motivation.

I'll need to figure something out. Running is hell on my feet which is why I bought this thing to begin with. I have an idea on how to maybe stabilize it a bit, we'll see if I can make it work on Sunday.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So it looks like I did crack a weld on this thing.

Hopefully I can find somebody locally to reweld this sucker for cheap.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Goober Peas posted:

That's a subpar weld and I would be on the phone with the manufacturer and/or the store that sold it

We got it second hand from my boss for $100 two years ago. He paid $500 or so in 2009 when he got it. I'm not terribly pissed other than the workout disruption. My friend already offered to fix it.

leica posted:

Rhyno thinks I'm fat but I'm not :colbert:

meatpimp posted:

Exactly what a fatty would say.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
YEAH.

Eat a dick pile of steel, I figured out how to break this fucker down without a manual. Now off to the friend's to get welded (and reinforced).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sigma X posted:

My postman doesn't even try anyone's doors. Their policy is that apartment dwellers are scum and don't actually deserve postal service, so all mail and packages goes to the rental office. In a complex of literally hundreds of apartments.

I lived in a complex some years back like that. A decade previously the mailman had been killed by a resident so they just dumped their bundles of mail in the office and left it for the staff to deliver.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Trying not to get my hopes up but my girlfriend's company has tentatively offered her a promotion to her old position which would drop our rent to $184 a month and that frees up a large chunk of cash every month that would allow me to pay off all my debts within a year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Locator posted:

What does your girlfriend do that her position affects your rent (also, that's a ridiculously low rent)? Property manager where you live or something?

Yup. She was the property manager when we moved here, then her father was diagnosed with cancer on the anniversary of her mom's death and the stress was crushing her so she stepped down to a leasing agent. There were a lot of work factors that were causing the stress as well, the entire work environment has changed for her, she's a shining star in the company. They have four communities in town and one of the other managers is getting promoted to regional status so it looks like my girlfriend will step into that position in October or so. It's also a major bonus because once I'm clear I can pay off her car and then all that's left are her student loans.

Edit: The apartment would be totally free but we have a few premiums, end unit, no neighbors that bumped our rent a bit.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 7, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

That is so dope. Not the cancer stuff but the rent stuff.

He's responding so well to the treatments and his changed outlook on life has mellowed his rear end out so much that he and I can actually have a conversation now. He's like a new man. On the bad end of things, his new assessment of mortality is clearly making him question a lot of things in his life. While he's being much nicer to me he's realizing his second marriage might not be what he wants anymore. He wants to live life and she wants to sit around watching tv.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

That's great, Rhyno. I bet that goes a long way to alleviate the sadbrains from the last couple weeks! :unsmith:

Things have been much better (aside from the stupid Miata clutch and breaking the goddamned elliptical). We're going on a short vacation in 2 weeks and that should even me back out. Then I can get all stressed out again as we start planning a wedding.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nm posted:

Stella is the Budweiser of Europe (not to be confused with the Czech Budweiser) and the fact that it is marketed here as anything more than that is hilarious to me.
In England it is most associated with domestic violence FFS, and Americans pay a premium for it.

Isn't it called "Wifebeater" over there?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nm posted:

It is the natty ice of Europe.

Hahaha gross. My older sister the hipster thinks it's classy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did anyone kill themselves over the lack of football yesterday?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dagen H posted:

No. Preseason isn't real football anyway. Arena Football > preseason NFL

From all the crybabying you'd think it was the end of the world.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, I own too much poo poo. I need to get my materialism under fuckin control.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ratbert90 posted:

The wife was quite surprised that a 2007 silver Solstice with 24,500 miles on it was sitting in the garage yesterday for her. Once I detail it I will post pictures.

Surprised or disappointed?

:D

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yo I would take some HDDs, like two of them? I can also PP cash for shipping.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was doing some shopping today and overheard this snippet of conversation

"I'm trying to tag mom in these pictures but it's not working."
Uh, mom doesn't have Facebook
"What does that matter?"

I've since been here at home hiding from the stupidity that is other people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The diet part has been hard but I'd already cut out fast food and pop, beer wasn't hard to ditch. I'm going through about 10 bottles of water a day (bless you Costco) and have been trying very hard to eat well. Got the elliptical put back together tonight and of course I was dying at 10 minutes in. And just a week ago I could rock 40+ without any issues.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

14inch's thread is majorily depressing in the last couple of pages.

I'm really worried about him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pham Nuwen posted:

IS THAT THE MOTHERFUCKIN' DONNIE YEN AS A MOTHERFUCKIN' JEDI?

After being pretty "meh, okay" on TFA, I'm now fully sold on this movie purely because of Donnie Yen.

Despite the reports of behind the scenes chaos I'm confident this fill will be better than TFA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SCA Enthusiast posted:

TFA was good.

It was exceedingly mediocre.

• Locked thread