Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

literally a fish posted:

May I suggest that this month's book be "The Long Earth" by Stephen Baxter and the late Terry Pratchett? A lot of you have probably read it already but it's a really nice piece of scifi with a very unusual premise I've not run into before. Being a Pratchett book, it's also loads of fun :3:

And for those of you who wish to expand their experience by reading some real literature may I suggest the cool and good A Grain of Wheat by Ngugi wa Thiong’o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

literally a fish posted:

I may have come across a little more aggressive in that post than I meant to, but I object to being told that the works of one of my favorite authors are garbage :v:

It's actually a series and the 5th/final book came out this year so you can read them all if you like the first one :3

Relax. I was merely offering an alternative for people who don't enjoy genre fiction. I have never read Pratchett so I can't comment, although I have my suspicions. Perhaps I'll have a look at it when I'm finished with my current book so I can tell you how bad it actually is :v:

I recently suffered mild enjoyment picking apart Neil Gaiman's American Gods, which surprise surprise: it's really bad

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Tomarse posted:

He had been doing so well for the last month too :( Its Corn in the fridge

I agree however that book of the month generally seems to be too serious for my liking. I prefer lighter entertainment from my reading matter.

I find this strange because the first book I recommended is a comedy, and the second is actually (little f) fantasy.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Dannywilson posted:

Am I too late to recommend The Lies of Locke Lamora? It's good. A revenge story blended with a heist blended with a bunch of poo poo.

Read the blurb and actually it sounds really bad!!!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

Jimmithy what do you think of The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury? I was going to suggest that one this month but we have quite a few options already.

That would be good i think. Short enough to give even the busiest of us a chance to finish it and sure to invite a bit more of an intellectual discourse than some of the other suggestions

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

I need a bigger house, this is less than half of my constantly increasing collection..

I think you've posted this pic before, are they all Science Fiction novels???

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Siochain posted:

That's a little harsh. Why can't we have an intellectual discourse with some of the other suggestions? Not saying Bradbury isn't a goddamn genius (love the dude), but claiming intellectual superiority for any book/genre of book over others is just loving elitist. Don't poo poo on people who read, regardless of what they read.

Im not being elitist. I don't have a problem with people reading genre novels (sci-fi, fantasy, alt history, crime or whatever) as a form of low brow entertainment, but when people read these kinds of books exclusively and refuse to attempt anything remotely challenging that I have to smh.

The problem I have with genre novels is they are most often Badly Written and rely heavily on a gimmicky premise. They offer nothing in the way of cultural, emotional, or intellectual (on a personal level) significance. Show me a Sci-fi or fantasy book which does and I'll happily call it Literature, but you're kidding yourself if you think sitting around discussing what the political landscape of a fully colonised solar system in 500 years time will look like is intellectually meaningful

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Magnus Praeda posted:

Here are a few choices that you might call "real literature" you ridiculous twat.

Each and every one of those is, by the estimation of the literary world, well written. They use the freedoms allowed by speculative fiction to address issues of cultural, emotional, and intellectual significance. That discussion of possibilities is exactly what makes them intellectually meaningful. Literature has always used the possible--whether as a threat of what might happen or as a promise of what could happen--to elicit a response from its readership.

Yes, this is a very good post and thank you for making it as it brings me closer to the point I'm in the middle of making. You've provided a list of some very good books (most of which I've read, incidentally) that use elements of science fiction or fantasy - speculative fiction as you've rightly pointed out - as a literary device. The fact of the matter is that Science Fiction and Fantasy and the like aren't real genres; they're marketing terms. Do you like swords and dragons and wizards? Try this "Fantasy" book. Spaceships and lasers? Have this "Science Fiction" book. Want to read something a bit more profound, something that might forever alter your perceptions on what it all means? Read some real loving "Literature"

All the books ive suggested so far have more in common with those on the list you've provided than what some others have been coming up with

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I get that people itt enjoy genre fiction. That was made abundantly clear to me months back when I mentioned having just read Dune and I was bombarded with recommendations of suspect sci-fi titles by "love 'em or hate 'em" (i.e. Bad) authors. I get that people want to be entertained and its perfectly fine for the AI Book Club to accommodate discussion of these works. I am not well versed in these works so it makes little sense for me to try and recommend titles in their vein nor does it behove me to "dumb down" my suggestions as it does disservice to my secondary purpose:

I initially started AI Book Club in order to answer meatpimp's question of what books do I read. The titles that I recommend are books that I've read recently (as in the previous month or so) which I found both enjoyable and intellectually fulfilling. I had hoped that others would read and begin discussions of the topic which i could participate, as they would still be fresh in my mind.

I apologise for the rediculousness of my language. I think the book i am currently reading, the prose of which being of a similar type, is beginning to affect my mind!!!

Tomarse posted:

I looked up 'a grain of wheat' and Wikipedia classes it as an 'historical novel' that deals with the public execution of one of the protagonists.

While it may be a very good piece of literature, and I could read it and appreciate i (I've saved it in my to-read list) you clearly read for different reasons than some of us do.

You don't have to always read to expand your understanding of the world and encourage discourse and thinking - it is also possible to read just for entertainment and enjoyment and to escape the often lovely reality of the world. I often read a lot as an alternative to thinking. This isn't wrong, just different to what you want to do.

I am not dissing your choice of book, just saying that I (and seemingly some others) might prefer a lighter option too. Perhaps we should have 2 books of the month each month to cover both the serious and the casual options.

Of refering specifically to A Grain of Wheat, then yes, it is a bit heavier than my previous selections, but i had in mind this month of two possible titles and i decided to go with the lighter one!!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

If you want my opinion on American Gods since I literally just finished it a few days ago it's that it's basically a comic book written out in very bad prose. Think like creative writing student quality of prose. YA level stuff with pointless swearing and sex scenes for edginess I guess??? Dialogue is wooden and unnatural. It's Bad.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Maksimus54 posted:

We did not know she was pregnant.

Lol how fat is your fiancée

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Im not fat

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I now get why people hate millennials. I think this officially makes me old but I don't care.

Sitting at dinner with my almost-4-year-old, a couple of college age kids sit in the booth directly behind us. After ten minutes of them reading off all of their hilarious Pokémon names like "Gloopy gently caress" and calling the girl who brought them food a "dumb ho", I told them to shut the hell up. Response?

"Why are you using harsh language?"

I think the last time I wanted to cause someone such severe physical harm was back in high school when some shithead with pretty much the exact same flippant attitude decided that he needed to ride in the bed of my truck. Wouldn't listen to me saying no until I gave it a few quick stabs of gas and brake.

Country is doomed, terrorists win.

Maybe you should just relax you mental autist

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Let's all be ageist and denounce a group of people based on stereotypes and anecdotal evidence :waycool:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

In a show of good faith wrt book chat I have downloaded and begun to read The Long Earth

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

It seems i am the only average sized human being itt

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Cage posted:

We await the next thrilling update.

Im also quite good looking

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I took my cats to the vet for their booster jab s. Both are the picture of health. Thanks for reading

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

The power of christ compels them.

The bed is on my foot

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Please post pictures of said cats.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I have finished reading The Long Earth

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

literally a fish posted:

Thoughts? I know it's not your usual sort of thing, but I appreciate that you actually read it :3:

Well, the prose was bland and the characters not particularly detailed or compelling, but I mean that in the nicest possible way as I felt it was, if anything, competently written and perfectly serviceable within its own means. The book flowed nicely and only felt off the mark when it was trying to be quirky or humourous. All in all it was a pleasing experience as it practically read itself, especially considering the previous book I read was a bit of a mindfuck. Thank you for the recommendation

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Do they still sell Sparks in america?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, Stella is not the budweiser of England, it's a relatively decent standard european lager with slightly stronger than usual ABV which is where it gets its unfortunate recent nickname, a nickname appointed to it by english hipsters who are Too Cool to drink lager because they prefer bitters and they got angry during the financial boom years when future-brexit-voters who did not belong to the approved socioeconomic classes had the ostensible credit to buy slightly-higher-than-usually-priced stronger lagers (and act stupidly on them), that lot trended towards Stella because it's more alcoholic than Heineken, more claarrsy than Tennents, and because it has/had a decent reputation as being 'upscale' because it's more expensive than it should be. See: Burberry, Jack Wills, etc

My wife is english, I've been drinking Stella in europe for 20 years and no one has ever given me even close to a funny look when I order it aside from her, because she likes bitter beers slightly more than lagers and likes to rile me up. You want to get her raging about beer though? Make her pick from one of 8 identically tasting horrible california IPAs because there's no european lager on the menu.

The REAL reason you shouldn't buy it in cans & bottles in the US is because for some inexplicable reason they're 11.2 oz instead of 12oz yet the same 12-pack price as other similar brands.

This is a lot of words about a completely unremarkable beer

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

scuz posted:

The Honda dealership was gonna charge my buddy $1,460 for a brake-and-rotor job which to me sounded insane for an 8 year-old car. Those stupid rotor retention screws were all stripped out and I tried drilling them but it didn't work. Luckily the rotors are in decent shape so they didn't need to be replaced, but I'm curious what can be done to get those things outta there. Probably a stupid move on my part, trying to drill them out.

If you're changing the disc you can just get the grinder out

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

opengl128 posted:

I'll post this every time someone has a stuck rotor because it's a million times better than beating the poo poo out of it and possibly messing up a hub/bearing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJCRljAs

It has never failed me. So satisfying when it just pops loose.

I wouldn't go doing this with an aluminium hub carrier

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So Rogue One takes place before Force Awakens? Google says it takes places about 15 years before Rey's birth. Kinda dissapointed. I thought RO would pick up where FA left off.

Episode 8 comes out next year

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

I primarily deal with infosec and follow several IT related threads including the information security fuckup thread in YOSPOS.

There is a bunch of people in the infosec field that dislike AV because all the AV programs are terrible and the security issues they cause are worse than the terrible detection they provide.

This is a INCREDIBLY hot topic in the IT thread and don't you dare bring up how AV is bad. OSI Beandip gave 5 people a few months ago gigantic red titles about how their opinion on AV is bad. This title was from somebody in the IT thread who was pissed I dared bring up AV again.

You don't say *opens up newspaper* please do go on

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Sausage Party is one of the most dusgusting, foul, outragous and straight up hosed up movies you will see. The food orgy has to be seen to be believed.

I loved every second of it, goddamn it is GLORIOUS - 9/10 without a doubt

Thanks collegehumor.com

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Only 3 techs, 1 service advisor, and no management in this week. Gonna be a good week 🤖

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Tide posted:

Considering that nearly twice as many white people (581) were killed by police than blacks* (306) in 2015, I'm not so sure your statement holds much water.

(*Despite the fact that blacks have many times more interactions with police than whites.)

Lol you idiot

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Tide posted:

And that was the reason for my 'spoiler'. As a black, you (well, not you, just generally speaking) have a MUCH higher chance of interaction with police - for well, being black, I suppose.

To that end, however, there's zero sympathy from me. There's ways to prove a point without destroying, burning, and looting poo poo not to mention the absurdity of killing police officers. Any moral high ground or sympathy goes out the loving window.

But hey, black lives matter - apparently more than anyone else.

Nice racisms chief :thumbsup:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

Big? Absolutely. Buff? Hardly.

Was about to post this

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

AM has us crimp everything because apparently they don't trust us enough to be able to solder properly 😌

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The year of the divorce

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

My wife doesn't love me even though I make her coffee every morning and play minecraft with her what the hell

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I am basically George Costanza with an even worse dating life.

Youre bald and fail?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

couldnt they have just put a bigger pulley on it?????

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

We all hate Leeds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I think adderall or whatever is a restricted substance pretty much everywhere

• Locked thread