Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Cyrano4747 posted:

:laffo:

Also I saw constitution sale in the late 90s after her restoration. It was loving amazing.

When I was younger I had the privilege of being aboard when they took her out for a turnaround cruise (not under sail :/) because my dad's pipe band played. A crew member was a cool bro and gave me one of the 40mm casings from the gun salute to Fort Independence (and if I recall correctly might have gotten some poo poo for it after). It's a hell of a ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

If I'm not mistaken, lower casualty rates are generally attributed to improvements in medical technology and training, combined with improvements in body armor.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

The old wound rather than kill chestnut pops up a lot online, but I've never seen any contemporary sources that back it up. Any round that will reliably incapacitate an enemy is just as likely to kill him.

The big advantage of 5.56 over 7.62 is that you can carry about 3 times the ammo for the same weight.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Drill instructors are the single biggest source of "the Geneva Conventions prohibit using .50 cals against people, but you can shoot their uniform" type bullshit in existence.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Koramei posted:

cavalry and firearms have coexisted and complemented each other for centuries, therefore cavalry will last forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u04KA8eYwBg

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

To expand on that question, at what point do we switch over entirely to remotely operated tanks or tankettes? Ditching the crew compartment might open up some interesting design possibilities.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

bewbies posted:

I've also never really understood why people think they want realistic war movies. If a war movie was realistic it would be really really really really boring for the first two and half hours and then the last 15 minutes would be really loud and confusing

Das Boot does a good job of portraying war as endless hours of mind-numbing boredom interspersed with moments of trouser filling terror.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Ensign Expendable posted:

Of course, eventually, you'd have to get into the building and fight in it. Here's the method for doing that, explained in comic book form! "Assault Group: Advance! A submachinegun around your neck, ten grenades at your disposal, courage in your heart, go!"

"Approach the enemy by hidden ways: trenches, ditches, breaches in the walls and fences. Move while prone. Use craters and ruins, you can hide well here. And then: a brave dash forward.
You will enter a labyrinth of rooms and obstacles, full of danger. Not a problem, a grenade in each corner! Enter the house with a friend: you and your grenade. Both of you should be dressed lightly: you should leave your rucksack behind, the grenade shouldn't have a fragmentation sleeve. The grenade goes in first, you go in after. A burst from your submachinegun at the ceiling remnants, and move on.

Another room, another grenade. Turn, one more grenade! Forward again! The enemy can counterattack. Do not be afraid. The initiative is in your hands. Use your grenades and submachinegun more tenaciously.

Sweep any suspicious corner with your submachinegun. Don't delay!

I'd heard about the "grenade every room" thing before, but never seen a primary source for it. Excellent.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Hogge Wild posted:

haha

Lieutenant Laaksonen would be proud :finland:.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had this as my first thought.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Feral_Shofixti posted:

The Allies brought a few hundred homing pigeons ashore with them on D-Day...

They had a proven record, one of the best examples being named G.I. Joe:

quote:

During the Italian Campaign of World War II, G.I. Joe saved the lives of the inhabitants of the village of Calvi Vecchia, Italy, and of the British troops of 56th (London) Infantry Division occupying it. Air support had been requested against German positions at Calvi Vecchia on 18 October 1943, but the message that the 169th (London) Infantry Brigade had captured the village, delivered by G.I. Joe, arrived just in time to avoid the bombing. G.I. Joe flew this 20 mile distance in an impressive 20 minutes, just as the planes were preparing to take off for the target. Up to a thousand men were saved.[1]

On 4 November 1946, G.I. Joe was presented the Dickin Medal for gallantry by Major-General Charles Keightley at the Tower on London, the citation credits him with the most outstanding flight made by a United States Army homing pigeon in World War II.[2] G.I. Joe was the 29th and the first non-British recipient of the medal.[2]

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Re: book chat, I rather enjoyed Tracey Rihll's The Catapult: A History. It has a pretty heavy focus on Roman torsion catapults, but also goes into some interesting classical siege tactics.

She does get a bit speculative on the prevalence of manuballistae in the Legion, but nothing that had my eyes rolling.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Pellisworth posted:

And some incredibly tiny arrowheads that are maybe for a child's bow?

Sounds like what are referred to as bird points. Despite the name and size, experimental archeology has shown they would be capable of bringing down game the size of deer.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

OwlFancier posted:

Possibly you might be thinking of the antipersonnel variant which would be a Scorpio as used by rome which I think would tend to be more like a big crossbow on a stand though it still uses torsion springs rather than just the inherent springyness of the arms. Supposedly they're pretty awesome though again they are a bit awkward to lug about all over the place, they'd be used more like a cannon battery would be in later millenia. Or given the rate of fire, probably more like a gatling gun.

Thanks to their accuracy and range they also found effective use providing cover for river crossings, and sniping defenders during sieges.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Cyrano4747 posted:

Modern-as-in-today people might have had poo poo, but before relatively recently no one gave a gently caress. drat near every WW2 vet I've known who saw combat had serious hearing issues.

My marine grandfather fought in the PTO. Any time he doesn't want to be bothered or participate in a conversation, he just turns his hearing aids off.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Plan Z posted:

Can anyone do any pieces on utility/history of slingshots in ancient combat? It's something I've always been curious about, but whenever I remember to look it up, the stuff I find is unsatisfactory. Whatever era/military info you can share would be wonderful.

Sometimes sling bullets had dongs on them.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Rockopolis posted:

Are they working towards drone tanks, like sticking the crew behind the fighty bit of the tank at the end of a really long cable?
Like going from a knife to a spear to a pike.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletank ?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Oh look, it's Klinger's dad.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Yes, why would anyone interested in military history care if soldiers liked a thing or not?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Isn't the A-10 able to use less developed runways than some of the more advanced jets? Being based closer to the front cuts into response time.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

sullat posted:

Really? I thought it was a holiday promoted by Mexican-Americans to give themselves their own holiday, since celebrating another country's independence day is poor form. Much like St. Paddy's day.

Up north it's just an excuse for white people to drink frozen margaritas.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

You need physical strength to be a loader.

Well they'll have pretty beastly forearms.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 11, 2016

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

American Civil War?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Kemper Boyd posted:

There's levels to historical accuracy. Such as the picture that Rome paints of Roman culture and society, it is very accurate based on what we know about Rome. It doesn't matter that Pullo and Vorenus weren't probably around for most of what happened.

Vikings has this weird thing going on where some of the stuff in the series is very accurate, and then they drop historical accuracy for the next scene for dramatic purposes. For instance, the scene in the first episode where the two dudes show up at Ragnars and Lagerthas house and she tells them that there's water and food if they want, otherwise they can gently caress off: very much an accurate representation of how the duty of hospitality worked in early medieval Scandinavia.

Then again, the next scene where the Jarl, played by Gabriel Byrne, condemns a guy to death for reasons. They didn't have the death penalty. Likewise, Byrnes Jarl is presented a lot like a late medieval king or something. He's the Jarl because people have confidence in his leadership, he can't actually tell people that they have to do what he says for most of the time.

I got unreasonably upset when I saw Floki building a ship frame first.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

I keep waiting for the SAM in your avatar to hit the plane, and it never does.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

• Electrified armour that would melt the shell before it could penetrate.

Joke's on you, pal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_armour#Electric_reactive_armour

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

The Lone Badger posted:

They were covering up how good the British radar network was, IIRC.

Aircraft mounted radar, specifically.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/a-wwii-propaganda-campaign-popularized-the-myth-that-carrots-help-you-see-in-the-dark-28812484/

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They were mostly intended to discourage muggings, buglaries, etc as a personal defense weapon rather than for Operators to Go Loud and Service Tangos (hotter loads like 7.65 parabellum, .380 ACP, 9x20 Browning Long, .455 webley etc were used for combat sidearms).

Operators servicing tangos with hot loads, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=pmcBVbQ-yEU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

When combined with the translation, the curved baseplate makes it easy to see how the confusion arose:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

More like water-loose compartments, really.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Gnoman posted:

...and a captain had the opportunity to strike after a long pounding.

:pervert:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

JcDent posted:

Love it how now tankers nor Russians were around to stop Finnish Willy the Coyote antics.

I've heard an anecdote that I haven't been able to confirm about a Finnish guy jumping up on a tank and wailing on the hull with a hammer. The crew thought that they were taking AT fire and retreated.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

"Why should I change my name? He's the one who sucks."

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

GotLag posted:

I dunno, I feel like it's part of the translator's job to address glaring errors or biases in the source work.

You may be thinking of an editor.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Acebuckeye13 posted:

$200 million dollars.

That movie cost $200 million dollars to make.

I will forget the faces of my parents and the names of my friends before I forget that Battleship, a movie based on a boardgame that features an international coalition fighting off an alien invasion that use literal pegs as weapons, cost $200 million dollars to make.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Chicago hot dogs are garbage. This is my Alamo.

Chicagoans just don't understand when to stop when it comes to cooking. See also the casserole they try to pass off as pizza. :barf:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

"Amnesty", possibly - usually I see this in relation to traffic or parking tickets, or overdue library books. :v: (Montana/Eastern WA, over the years.) IIRC, in metro areas weapons amnesties have been done, which have now been supplanted by "gun buy-backs", which still function as a way to dispose of scary/unwanted/stolen or will-draw-lots-of-heat crime guns.

Artist Tom Sachs has a history of making cheapo zip guns and selling them to the NYPD gun buybacks for as much as $300.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

my dad posted:

[*]It was not unusual for women Partizans to be careful to save their last bullet when at risk of getting captured alive by fascist/nationalist militias.

This is apparently SOP for YPJ soldiers, and probably a lot of other female soldiers throughout history.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Fangz posted:

Better not tell Trump about the flamethrower gap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Bo2ro60ro

And I thought being a human bipod for rifles and MGs looked unpleasant. :supaburn:

BattleMoose posted:

Actually, assuming they can carry sufficient explosions could be a valid method for delivering ordnance, particularly around corners, down/up stairs and such. Is this already a thing?

ISIS has been using them for scouting, as flying bombs, and to drop rifle grenades or gas.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Gnoman posted:

On a completely different subject, I've heard many times that the wide proliferation of guns and cars in the pre-WWII US compared to that of the other powers was a major advantage for training troops. According to the claims, having so many men already knowing how to drive, perform basic mechanical work (from working on the cars, which needed a lot more maintenance than those of today), and comprehend the basics of operating a firearm meant that training in those tasks went a lot faster, and allowed a higher standard of training than other armies were sometimes forced to accept.

This sounds plausible to me, but plausibility is not enough to say something is confirmed, and I'm wondering if there was any documented evidence for or against this idea.

There's also the CCC. It produced several million fit American men used to something approximate to military life.