Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Stanley Kubrick film?
Fear and Desire
Killer's Kiss
The Killing
Paths of Glory
Spartacus
Lolita
Dr. Strangelove; or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Apollo 11 Moon Landing Footage
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut
View Results

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb7Meqaz7Aw

This guy shows off all of Kubrick's lenses that he accumulated over the years, as well as one of his cameras. He would actually buy the lenses and cameras instead of renting because he'd have them modified to his specs.

You get to see the two Hasselblads modified to be used on Barry Lyndon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

I'm watching Dr. Strangelove for the first time tonight. Seems like an appropriate way to celebrate the anniversary of Fat Man.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Caps from the Blu-Ray

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Seeing 2001 in a theater in the 4th row, center is quite the experience

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Eyes Wide shut was the last Kubrick movie I watched for the first time. I haven't seen Barry Lyndon or a few others, I'll get around to it, but Eyes Wide Shut legitimately scared the gently caress out of me. The sex and relationship stuff took a huge backseat for me as Kubrick managed to make the Illuminati stand-in the scarriest poo poo i've ever seen put to film.

People talk about the Shining like it's spooky, especially people old enough to have seen it during the theatrical run, but that poo poo is just standard spooky to me. Eyes Wide Shut gave me a full blown mental crisis.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

God drat, The Killing is an awesome noir:

(That's Joe Turkel hiding under the cloud of smoke)

Kubrick wrote in a scene in a chess hall and it has this awesome mirror shot:

Also, Rodney Dangerfield is an extra in this shot:

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Seeing 2001 in a theater in the 4th row, center is quite the experience

I had a chance to see it in Atlanta last year, but I couldn't get out of work in time.

I guess they'll do a big thing for its 50th anniversary release in 2018, though.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Egbert Souse posted:

I guess they'll do a big thing for its 50th anniversary release in 2018, though.

It was amazing, spent the day watching it back to back with Barry Lyndon.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Killer's Kiss is probably Kubrick's most underrated film. It was his second feature-film and self-financed like Fear and Desire.

Unlike practically all of his subsequent films, it's rough around the edges. A lot of it looks like from a documentary. There's a terrific boxing match scene that's full of great handheld camera work and quick editing. It's the sort of scene a filmmaker would be proud to show.

Here's a ton of screenshots from the film (it's included on Criterion's Blu-Ray and DVD edition of The Killing):

This shot honestly looks like rear projection, then the guy walks to the back. :haw:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Paths of Glory is one of the only anti-war films that doesn't glorify it accidentally
That's because the film is really about bureaucracy not violence and it's impossible to accidentally glorify bureaucracy.

It's a neat film

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

hemophilia posted:

Eyes Wide shut was the last Kubrick movie I watched for the first time. I haven't seen Barry Lyndon or a few others, I'll get around to it, but Eyes Wide Shut legitimately scared the gently caress out of me. The sex and relationship stuff took a huge backseat for me as Kubrick managed to make the Illuminati stand-in the scarriest poo poo i've ever seen put to film.

People talk about the Shining like it's spooky, especially people old enough to have seen it during the theatrical run, but that poo poo is just standard spooky to me. Eyes Wide Shut gave me a full blown mental crisis.

Before the second season of True Detective came out I had myself all worked up that the "largest orgy ever filmed" scene was going to be EWS times 10 and that the tone of the show would be similar.

Oh well.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Professor Shark posted:

Before the second season of True Detective came out I had myself all worked up that the "largest orgy ever filmed" scene was going to be EWS times 10 and that the tone of the show would be similar.

Oh well.

I did the same thing.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I didn't finish the second season of true detective. Did it ever pay off or I'm assuming no because everyone shits on it the way i was making GBS threads on it when I peaced in the 4th or 5th ep

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

hemophilia posted:

I didn't finish the second season of true detective. Did it ever pay off or I'm assuming no because everyone shits on it the way i was making GBS threads on it when I peaced in the 4th or 5th ep

I thought it turned out alright. I enjoyed it, it just wasn't up to the same level as season 1.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The second season was okay, The Night Of is the real spiritual successor to the first season, though

Edit: But it could have been great. The Bird Man was just ridiculous enough to be good, but they ditched it and ruined everything cool about "The Bad Guy"

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Not a lot of Lolita talk in here. It's a pretty good and (to me) is the step between "old Kubrick movies" and "new Kubrick movies".

Going from Lolita to Dr. Strangelove was an incredible step. Strangelove is my favorite Kubrick film, and maybe my favorite comedy in general. It's just so perfect and I could watch it again and again.

Edit: not to mention ahead of its time. I find it really hard to enjoy comedies from the 70s and earlier. But the dry humor in that film feels very modern, not like a 60s comedy at all.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 13, 2016

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Caps from the Blu-Ray

I wish Arthur C Clarke was not such a dick with the 2010 and 2100 movie rights. Taking 2001 to its full, LSD laden conclusion would have been epic.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm due for re-watches of Spartacus, Lolita, and Full Metal Jacket. Almost picked up the last one in the Walmart bin today.

I'll go ahead and let out the white elephant of Kubrick's filmography.

Fear and Desire

Let's take a look at the first feature films other other great directors:

Citizen Kane
The Maltese Falcon
Duel
Shadows
Eraserhead
Glen or Glenda

Fear and Desire isn't as good as any of those films.

I'll go ahead and say that it's probably the film with the widest disparity between a filmmaker's best work and worst. Now, if it were the only feature a student made, I'd have to say it's an alright work. It actually did win an award or two.

The film reminds me a lot of The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra. Static camera shots, lots of garbage dialogue, and people just walking. However, it has brief brilliant moments like soldiers storming a cabin. It's pretty obvious Kubrick had probably seen a bunch of Eisenstein films, just as it's clear he had probably just seen Citizen Kane prior to making Killer's Kiss and The Killing.

It was hard finding a lot of "nice shots" but it does have some.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Is spartacus one that he had full control over? How come I never hear that one brought up when talking about kubrick despite being a pretty iconic film

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

hemophilia posted:

Is spartacus one that he had full control over? How come I never hear that one brought up when talking about kubrick despite being a pretty iconic film

It's the only feature Kubrick did "for hire" since he only directed it. Kirk Douglas produced it and it was actually Anthony Mann who started the film. Douglas replaced Mann with Kubrick a week into filming.

James B. Harris co-produced The Killing and Lolita with Kubrick, Kirk Douglas produced Paths of Glory and Spartacus. IMDB says Kubrick was an uncredited "executive producer" on Paths of Glory.

Starting with Dr. Strangelove, Kubrick served as his own producer and co-writer on all of his films. He also served as visual effects supervisor on 2001 (shared with Douglas Trumbull and Wally Veevers). He was also occasionally an uncredited camera operator. Alex's attack on the Cat Lady in A Clockwork Orange was shot by Kubrick himself using a handheld Eyemo camera.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 13, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hal_2005 posted:

I wish Arthur C Clarke was not such a dick with the 2010 and 2100 movie rights. Taking 2001 to its full, LSD laden conclusion would have been epic.

2010 by Kubrick would have been much better than the most severe let down sequel ever that was made

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Egbert Souse posted:

Glen or Glenda

:laugh:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Watched Full Metal Jacket again last night after having not watched it since my early 20s and boy that movie is kind of hard to watch, being older and having a different frame of reference on the world

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
in what ways?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

full metal jacket was, i think, a direct reflection of the vietnam era, maybe even an exaggeration, idk. id hesitate to equate it with much these days, especially the dehumanizing paris island and the behavior of the enlisted men in nam and, well, much of anything else

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There are folks who watch the first half of FMJ without any sense of how hosed up and uncomfortable it is and that's just terrifying

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Moridin920 posted:

in what ways?

I think it's that I appreciated it more for superficial reasons before, like the cinematography and acting. Watching it now, I found myself focused more on the deeper message of what war and military service does to people, and how horrible everything about Vietnam and war in general is. I guess that's a side effect of my stupid decision to pay more attention to politics/the world since I first watched it, hence me saying it was a different frame of reference, I guess I just pay attention to different things now.

Maybe "hard to watch" was a little dramatic, but I guess what I mean is that seeing it now makes me feel sad in a more "boy humanity can suck sometimes" way, instead "man it sucks they shot those guys" way.

Also I'm Private Pyle, AMA

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Vegetable posted:

There are folks who watch the first half of FMJ without any sense of how hosed up and uncomfortable it is and that's just terrifying

there are some legit funny quotes in the first half. communist poo poo twinkle-toes cocksucker and 'I THINK YOU HAVE A HARD ON' are my favorite

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A lot of millennials could benefit from some toughening up like that

Most of them nowadays would start crying and run off to their "safe space" is R Lee Ermey called them a human being

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Ein cooler Typ posted:

A lot of millennials could benefit from some toughening up like that

Most of them nowadays would start crying and run off to their "safe space" is R Lee Ermey called them a human being

i think the truth is, being completely honest here, in the middle

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

full metal jacket was, i think, a direct reflection of the vietnam era, maybe even an exaggeration, idk. id hesitate to equate it with much these days, especially the dehumanizing paris island and the behavior of the enlisted men in nam and, well, much of anything else

Right, like I've heard that stuff during basic doesn't happen anymore or not to that degree, but it's an interesting historical piece. Curious what the sources for this were, how much is first hand accounts and how much is playing things up for dramatic effect

Vegetable posted:

Yeah pretty much

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

Right, like I've heard that stuff during basic doesn't happen anymore or not to that degree, but it's an interesting historical piece. Curious what the sources for this were, how much is first hand accounts and how much is playing things up for dramatic effect

id almost bet that the first half is pretty on point, nobody has trouble but the fat idiot if you look at it objectively. the second half, idk. i doubt anybody does

for the record, every vietnam vet ive ever heard speak on it said that platoon was the last word in vietnam movies. make of that what you will

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

im not a military guy but everyone ive known thats been a modern marine says that you just do PT a lot. thats about it. which lines up with the movie if you think about it minus the actual physical violence on the part of the drill sgt

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
we don't need the drill sergeant to dehumanize young people and desensitize them to violence anymore because videogames have already done that

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

2010 by Kubrick would have been much better than the most severe let down sequel ever that was made

I think it's funny how 2001 holds up extremely well and 2010 was dated almost immediately.

Kubrick was smart to keep the tension between the US and Russia ambiguous. Or how the crew of the Discovery uses iPad-like tablets watching video in portrait mode.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

i think the truth is, being completely honest here, in the middle

Ein cooler Typ posted:

we don't need the drill sergeant to dehumanize young people and desensitize them to violence anymore because videogames have already done that

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I was thinking something similar when they showed the guys near the end creeping through the building, like it made me wonder what effect realistic military fps games have had on the psyche of young people who go into the military now, vs poor kids getting drafted back in the vietnam days

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Code Jockey posted:

I was thinking something similar when they showed the guys near the end creeping through the building, like it made me wonder what effect realistic military fps games have had on the psyche of young people who go into the military now, vs poor kids getting drafted back in the vietnam days

I'm willing to bet not much. I'm pretty sure a lot of combat training these days still revolves around getting people to kill without hesitating. If anythings it's probably more extensive than it was during Vietnam.

Simply video games aren't real life. Doesn't matter how good or realistic the graphics are, there's still a disconnect. It can be turned off or reloaded or whatever.

I've never been in the military, but I've played a lot of video games in my life, had a nasty and violent upbringing, and been caught up in violent situations. Even when I was completely 100% in the right and defending myself it's still a horrifying thing to have to seriously hurt another person.

_Loser_
Dec 8, 2005

Gaymu for Teemu
Alright, well you fuckers did it. I went and grabbed a copy of Barry Lyndon and holy poo poo, beautiful. How the hell have I never heard of this movie before this thread?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

_Loser_ posted:

Alright, well you fuckers did it. I went and grabbed a copy of Barry Lyndon and holy poo poo, beautiful. How the hell have I never heard of this movie before this thread?

It was mostly a critical success, but not with audiences in the US.

Also, it doesn't have the indelible pop culture placement in history like Dr. Strangelove, 2001, A Clockwork Orange, or The Shining.

That's not even taking into account it's Kubrick's longest film and is a period drama instead of more popular comedy, sci-fi, or horror genres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I don't think that's fully true yet, maybe partly. I've played a lot of violent video games. Yet if I see something brutal on liveleak or wshh it's totally gut wrenching, almost panic attack inducing some of the stuff out there. There's just no comparison to real violence. The people that post and binge that snuff crap on those sites are on some monstrous other level of dehumanization.

OOOoo also I saw barry lyndon for the first time and it was good. Not exactly mind-blowing story wise, but she shots were cool, the locations were amazing, and some of the speaking lines are prose-like and pretty. The comedy is kinda easy to miss, but the recital scene was hilarious.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 14, 2016

• Locked thread