Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Discord channel for steamy multiplayer hookups

:siren:Current Event: PuPu Attacks!:siren:

PuPu (that weird alien thing from FF8) has invaded Palamecia! This event grants ridiculous EXP/Gil for how easy it is; you can also get free Ability Tickets, Summon Tickets, Magicite, Skillseeds, and most importantly of all, time-limited cards! It is extremely important to not only farm up the PuPus to 4*, but also to farm multiple copies of the UFO card for later fusions!!!

:siren:Current Event: Silent Ruins!:siren:

Unlike other events, this side story is permanently unlocked. Differing from the main story, this side area apparently has greater skillseed rewards and fusion materials.

:siren:Current Event: Ring Of Braves!:siren:

This is a multiplayer event where you and your friends can tagteam to take down bosses. Future bosses will include that nerd from FFRK, FFX's Ifrit, and more.

/////

Final Fantasy Mobius is the latest Final Fantasy Cellphone game to come out from Square-Enix. Developed by Yoshinori Kitase (FF7/8/10), written by Kazushige Nojima (FF7/8/10/Kingdom Hearts), this game heralds itself at the "next step in mobile gaming".

Android and iOS.

The Story

You play as <insertnamehere>, a Blank that was spirited away to the dying world of Palamecia. Alongside a number of other Blanks, you are urged forward to become the next Warrior of Light. Along the way, you meet friends and enemies alike, as you attempt to discover the truth behind the dying world, and Vox, a spiritual entity that speaks through your mind.

The Combat

:siren:DO THE TUTORIAL ITS REALLY GOOD:siren:

Mobius takes pages from several different Final Fantasies; you can attack a limited amount of times per turn, and each attack generates random amounts of Elemental Skillseeds. There are five flavors; Fire, Ice, Earth, Wind, and Life. Fire and Ice are diametrically opposed, while Earth and Wind are also opposed. Life is healing and has no opposition.

You can holster up to 16 skillseeds in your bar, located at the top of your battle screen (under score.) Skills will drain you of a set amount of skillseeds related to that element (for example, Lesser Blizzara will drain 5 Ice skillseeds.) You can also drain elements you have too much of (or elements you can't use in the first place - more on this later) by using Element Drive. By pressing, holding, and dragging towards whatever element you choose, you can create a multiturn shield against that element. This takes away all of your skillseeds for that element, however. Life Element Drive heals you, instead of shielding you.

The game also has a good Auto-Combat that should be utilized; there are few situations early game where it wouldn't be preferable to let the AI take over.

Customization

You can edit decks related to your jobs at the Cards side-menu. You can change jobs after the tutorial based on what job card you have equipped (so, Onion Knight becomes Warrior, which becomes Knight, while Apprentice Mage becomes Mage which becomes White Mage). In order to level up jobs, you must collect skillseeds from battle and use them to unlock skill boards, ala Final Fantasy 12's Zodiac Board system. Later boards take thousands of skillseeds to upgrade!

Some jobs get bonuses on cards; you can tell which job gets which by checking the lower right corner of a card. Sword = Warrior, Staff = Mage, Daggers = Thief. Furthermore, some jobs cannot use certain elements at all (Knight cannot use Ice, while White Mage cannot use Earth). Different jobs within a category can have different loadouts, for example, White Mage gets Fire, Ice and Wind, but Black Mage gets Ice, Wind, and Earth. Picking the right job for the stage is important.

You can level up battle cards by fusing other cards into them, or by taking them into battle. When fusing, there is a chance the card will get bonus skillseeds, which equal how many skillseeds you will receive post-battle. Rank 1, 2, and 3 cards will cap out at 3 skillseeds per level, while Rank 4 cards will cap out at 4 skillseeds.

Cactuar cards give greater skillseed fusion chance, Gold Cactuars sell for outrageous Gil, and Metal Cactuar cards give bonus EXP. You can also skill-up your cards by fusing the same card into one another, raising that cards damage and break power stats for the ability.

Farming Skillseeds

Reiterpallasch posted:

TLDR on skillseed farming:

Skillseeds received = (skillseeds on your cards) * (stage difficulty bonus) * (score bonus). The best way to rack up skillseeds is to pick a stage that you're confident you can clear at 5* difficulty (putting low-level cards on your team to deflate your level if you have to) and can hit a score breakpoint at the lowest possible stamina cost. Relevant score breakpoints are 100k, 200k, 500k, 1m.

The gold standard is Teleport Shrine in Chapter 2, where you can easily hit the 200k score breakpoint in autobattle for 6 stamina. That said, right now the Pupu event is probably where you want to be. At low player rank or high job development, the 4xx stages can be autobattled for 200k/5 stamina. It's difficult to guarantee 200k on the earlier stages, but 100k is easy and you get better gil/3* drops compared to the Teleport Shrine. If you want to farm manually, it's hard to beat the Knight/Warrior limit break pupu strategy, which can guarantee 500k/1m. Just remember that the most optimal skillspeeds-per-stamina option may not actually be optimal if it forces you to slot colors you don't need.

Friends

You can "follow" friends to use their assist card, but as far as I'm aware there is no guild system in place yet. Each time your "leader" card is used by another player, you get Friend Tickets. These cap out at 10 per day. The Friend Gacha (located through the Shop) allows you to trade tickets for a random assortment of 6 cactuars. The gacha starts at 10 tickets, and eventually climbs to 50 tickets, with no way to lower it.

Rankings

Every stage you clear gets you points based on time, damage dealt, etc. This places you into a weekly rank, with rewards tied to it (1 - 1000 gets Ability Ticket x 3 / Elixir, 1001-10000 gets Ability Ticket x 2 / Elixir, so on...)

The Shop

This game, like all phone games apparently, has an IAP system (Magicite). Magicite is sold at 120 Magicite = .99 cents USD, with packages that get better as you go up (12,000 Magicite for $74.99 as the cap.)

You can buy a Mobius Gift Box for 3000 magicite (or $20) that increases your skillseed generation by 50% for 1 month, as well as giving you items based on how often you buy it. You can only purchase 1 per 30 days. The first box contains Summon Tickets x6, Ability Tickets x12, Elixir x2, Phoenix Downs x2, Crystals x3, and a Growstar. You also will get Mystic Tablet x3 and Metal Cactuar x2 every 6 days (5 times total).

You can also expand your Card Bank or Inventory, summon packs of cards, or buy ability cards. If you are just starting out, you likely have a ton of Ability Cards. Do not buy the 3+ cards (I think they're called quick cards in-game?) While these are much cheaper then the regular cards, they are also unable to rank up beyond 3, making them effectively useless once you get into the mid/late game.

Recommended cards to pull:
  • Elemental Force cards (Windforce, Iceforce, etc) - These not only turn your orbs into a color of your choice, but also give you resistance to its counterpart for three turns.
  • Drain/Boost/Faith/Barrier/Cure - It's good to have at least one of each, but currently Drain and Boost are the strongest of this bunch. Cure is useful (more so than Yuna) if, and only if, maxed out. Yuna comes bundled with instant healing power, so its more immediate.
  • At least 1 cone AoE / full AoE for each element for your preferred class.
  • At least 1 card that generates Dark and Light skillseeds. Hades (Drain) is pure dark seeds, which is excellent, and it's a support so it works with all job categories. There is no pure light card (yet).

I have all of these Summon Tickets, should I buy abilities?

It is my personal opinion that you don't, unless you have purchased all of the Jobs first. Job pulls are unique in that no matter what, you will always pull a different, new job. Once you have them all, you cannot Job pull any longer.

Ranking Up Cards

Like in most gachapon games, cards have a ranking that ranges from 1* to 4* (5* to come in the future!) All cards have a skill on them that can be leveled up to not only raise the cards individual stats, but also grant a chance at powering up the ability (more damage/break power). Let's use an example:

Cait Sith - 3* Cure

Your first thought would be to purchase a bunch of Cait Sith cards and fuse them together. This is a bad move! Let's look at another card...

Dust Warlock - 1* Lesser Cure / 2* Lesser Cure / 3* Cure

You can find these commonly in certain areas; if you rank this card up (by feeding it multiple copies of itself and using the "Augment Card" feature you unlock at the end of Chapter 1) to 3*, this card can be fed into Cait Sith to level up it's Cure!

Also, once you rank a card up to a new rank (i.e. from 1* to 2*, or 2* to 3*) all future drops of that card will be at its highest rank! This only works up to 3*, but its a great way to level up store cards or event cards (for example, Gusion - Windforce can be upgraded with the UFO cards from PuPu Attacks!)

Tips and Tricks

Reiterpallasch posted:

Getting a high score during the PuPu Attacks! Event

As Knight: bring in one of the Warrior aoe (burst/blast) abilities. Beat up the first floor while building up orbs of the aoe color, then use the aoe ability to fully red-out the break bar of the enemies on the second floor. If the enemies die before you can do that, try using an aoe ability that matches their color--warrior abilities inflict break damage even if they're elementally resisted.

Anyways, pop Gigant if you have it, then use your limit break. Easy 500-900k score, depending on if it crits. Beat up the UFO and collect your skillseeds.

Links

The Mobius Main Site
Official Twitter
Official Facebook
Unofficial Reddit

Social

You can add friends by inputting their code.

Friend Code Spreadsheet

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
I have no idea what I'm doing! Here's my friend code if you want to join me in telling little fairies to put some drat clothes on.

2101 abf2 7235

Just gonna steal this from Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MobiusFF/comments/4w02l6/faq_answers_that_i_have_found/

Devoto17 posted:

1. No benefit* to rerolling
-Only randomized thing is the first ability/monthly rewards order of elements
2. No point in pulling more jobs
-Only 6 available to pull from, all are obtainable through the skill table
3. Chaos Vortex will be released on August 6
-Chapter 1 must be completed
4. August 13th Event PuPu Attacks, Spirit Grove & Job Batch2
5. August 20th Adamanterrapin Terror (Battle Tower)
-some event during the weekend
6. After Completing the Runic Temple, Shrine of Trials is unlocked (cost 3 mystic tablets)
7. Ability cards look to be in batches also (only batch 1 released)
8. All settings/config can be found in: ETC->config
*I will be updating this as I play

This is in response to point 2 above. If you're gonna summon for new job cards, it's best to save up 3000 gems for the Mobius box.

realldfun posted:

There's two different things we're talking about here. first is whether the neophyte ranger's evolved version of the ranger is the same as the ranger that you pull from the job class - if it's the same as Japan (and it should be the same as Japan) - then it's not the same - the skills/cards are the same, but the values are not. Basically, the job you pull from the Gacha is always stronger than what the base three classes evolve into. Consider the starter classes as a way to progress in the game and get a tease for what powerful jobs will be.
Then the Mobius Box is just a matter of what's the most economical way to get those summoning tickets. since 6 summoning tickets cost 3000 gems, and mobius box also cost 3000 gems and gives you 6 summoning tickets + other goodies, it makes sense to spend the first 3000 gems on the mobius box so you can summon and then some.

Inkel fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 3, 2016

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Are we going to get a goon spreadsheet? My ID is 20bb 9dad 36c6.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

MohShuvuu posted:

Are we going to get a goon spreadsheet? My ID is 20bb 9dad 36c6.

yes, uno momento

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Wanting to get in on the ground floor but it's connection error bonanza right now.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I have no idea what I"m doing but I played it for like an hour and I enjoyed it, which is more than I can say for most of the other mobile games Square has put out.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
spreadsheet is now in at the bottom of the OP, please add your stuff there

if its still locked or w/e let me know but i'm heading out for a few hours so ill get to it when i get back

e: also jokemaster mods, i literally couldn't think of anything funny with mobius so if you think of something change the title, thank in adv

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 3, 2016

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Do people see each other on Android and iOS? If I'm playing on iOS can I use a friend on Android?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
How much funbucks would you have to pay to beat the campaign in a reasonable amount of time? Is it even worth it? Like is the story good?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I'm already restarting because I spent a bunch of tickets on mage abilities, and then saw that the best thing to do with your 27 starting ability tickets is to buy the 3 abilities you can get a max boost for, which cost 9 each.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Another gacha game. Just what I needed!
:negative:

So, how's the rerolling in this game?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Kheldarn posted:

Another gacha game. Just what I needed!
:negative:

So, how's the rerolling in this game?

From what I gathered on Reddit, all it really does so far seems to be saving you from spending 9 tickets on one of the three 9x cards already available in the shop.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I've been chasing this fire dragon around the map for like six fights now -- does he ever actually die? I don't want to waste any more time or stamina on this if there's no actual reward for it.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Aerox posted:

I've been chasing this fire dragon around the map for like six fights now -- does he ever actually die? I don't want to waste any more time or stamina on this if there's no actual reward for it.

I would assume so. I chased the giant water turtle a couple times before it died and gave me a boost card for water types.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
So far this has impressed me a lot more than Brave Exvius did. Think I might just delete that and keep this and Record Keeper as my two FF mobage.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So in the Ability Shop, there are three abilities you can purchase at 3+ rank for 9 tickets. Are those a good deal to get?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Whelp I went into the grinding area, leveled to rank 9 or 10, and now I have 200 overflow stamina. Uhh okay then

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I think I'm slowly starting to understand this game. I've been a mage pretty much the entire time, because everything seems to be fire right now, plus I drew a Famfrit from the card draw. The only down side of that is the free weapon you get is a warrior weapon, and so far I haven't seen any shops or anything to get a better mage stick.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Inkel posted:

I would assume so. I chased the giant water turtle a couple times before it died and gave me a boost card for water types.

I'm a few stages behind you and haven't seen a giant water turtle yet.. only a cockatrice. I wonder if the bosses are randomized?

e: nevermind, looks like the friends' progression updates really slow

MohShuvuu fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 4, 2016

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So in the Ability Shop, there are three abilities you can purchase at 3+ rank for 9 tickets. Are those a good deal to get?

I purchased a pair of them for colours I was missing. The difference between the 3+ and 3* abilities in the shop is that the 3+* versions come max-skill leveled whereas the 3* versions start at Skill Level 1. So you quickly start to unlock the Extra Skill bonuses with 3* versions

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think I'm slowly starting to understand this game. I've been a mage pretty much the entire time, because everything seems to be fire right now, plus I drew a Famfrit from the card draw. The only down side of that is the free weapon you get is a warrior weapon, and so far I haven't seen any shops or anything to get a better mage stick.

Once you unlock an advanced job by completing the base class' ability panel, there will be an ability card option on there that gives you a weapon. In the case of Warriors, said weapon upgrade pales in comparison to the free Brotherhood weapon we get, but for the other classes they're going to be upgrades.

The other thing that should be said, is that under ETC > Config there is an option to set the difficulty of the game from Normal > Hard, which increases XP gain IIRC. However, it does actually make the game hard. I wasn't able to kill the Cockatrice on Hard, while most story battles leave me at 20-30% hp. 6 wave battles on Hard are also iffy, particularly if there's back-to-back boss waves at the end.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Other than the few Teleports, there isn't a way to backtrack easily is there? Kind of a pain going down sideroads for treasure when I have to wade through 5+ waves again.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Other than the few Teleports, there isn't a way to backtrack easily is there? Kind of a pain going down sideroads for treasure when I have to wade through 5+ waves again.

Nope. Seems to be intended with things like multi-floor dungeons too, as you can teleport to the main dungeon entrance but if you're chasing a sub-boss on a lower level you need to proceed through the dungeon level by level.

Also, I'd probably suggest picking up support friends when you can. Lets you build your own team for damage and elemental coverage while picking up healing along the way. I'd also recommend immediately friending any 4* Fat Chocobos you find that have all of their abilities unlocked. The heal from 4* Fat Chocobo is half as strong as Yuna's heal, but you gain a 5 turn Defense Up boost, their ability is on a lower CD than Yuna, and more importantly it doesn't cost an action to use its ability. So you can heal & shield and still have 3 actions available to attack with.

Edit: Looks like 3* Fat Chocobo also has No Action Cost as its third skill ability, so I guess either of them is fine then!

Oh, and the Element Drive resist duration seems to be based on the number of orbs it consumes. From repeated usage, it seems that:

1-2 orbs: 1 turn
3 orbs: 2 turns
6+ orbs: 4 turns

I haven't had a 5 turn resist shield from Element Drive shifting, and I'm not sure the exact 2-3 turn orb requirement. But 2 or less orbs is definitely a 1 turn shield.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 4, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I really like this game, I really hate how it's basically impossible to play it without a charger because the drat thing eats so much battery life.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tae posted:

I really like this game, I really hate how it's basically impossible to play it without a charger because the drat thing eats so much battery life.

Now team it up with Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius, Kingdom Hearts Unchained Χ, and Pokémon GO... :shepicide:

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 4, 2016

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
In my case its Pokemon, this, KHUX and summoners war

I play way too many phone games

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm onboard

Friend code: 205a fc27 392a

Hopefully this game sticks :v:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah between this, Record Keeper and Brave Exvius I have too many phone games (I also have Futurama: Game of Drones which is alright but not as addictive).

Is there any disadvantage to equipping cards that aren't aligned with your job? The wind orbs are kind of just wasted if I bring in an all-water type deck. Or maybe I should bring wind element friends to battle.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
You probably don't want to be using cards that your job is incapable of generating orbs for, since you'll never be able to use their abilities without an Orb Change Support. Generating orbs that you have no skills for is less of a problem, insofar as you can still Element Drive those orbs away into a resist shield, but personally I was getting sick of of generating useless Water Orbs so I tinkered with my own team to include a blue ability card (the 3+* Succubus, considering she Poisons).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah that's my problem. Mage generates wind orbs, but if I bring an all-mage card deck then they're useless except to waste a turn spending them for a resist shield. If I bring a Ranger card I can at least spend them on an attack instead of a shield that doesn't even get used (since all enemies up to this point have been fire/water type, though maybe more types start showing up in battles).

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I get so paranoid about saving up my orbs for the boss fight that I auto attack most of the time. But that really messes up your score since you get huge boosts for killing with the opposite element.

I also have no idea what to spend my ability tickets on.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What does the score do? It actually leads to rewards?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Tae posted:

What does the score do? It actually leads to rewards?

Someone mentioned it's basically a weekly leaderboard where certain ranks get rewards.

Tadders
Feb 13, 2008
35% Gender Confused
If I replace Echo with a Tonberry will I still hear Echo being an annoying bitch?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Eddain posted:

I get so paranoid about saving up my orbs for the boss fight that I auto attack most of the time. But that really messes up your score since you get huge boosts for killing with the opposite element.

I also have no idea what to spend my ability tickets on.

The only orbs I would say be stingy on throughout an encounter are Hearts, because sometimes you will be able to pop a Heal/Chocobo 4 times throughout a fight, and sometimes I'm yelling at my screen to just generate one more loving Heart orb.

Regular elemental orbs generate fairly quickly, and when you start to unlock card skill bonuses, your spells start to do things like Refunding an Orb on ability use or Generating a Random Orb when used.

Love Machine
Sep 7, 2012

Batteries not included.
Getting in on another ff gatcha early, let's hope this one stays as fun as I'm having right now. Its running shockingly well on my Nexus 5

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Tadders posted:

If I replace Echo with a Tonberry will I still hear Echo being an annoying bitch?

I've seen Echo cast Hastening on me during random rounds, giving me one more Action Point. Haven't used Tonberry enough to see what he does.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

So it looks like there's no real downside to equipping cards not related to your current job, except your level goes down slightly. I replaced my level 5 Dust Mage with a level 1 Fenrir and all that happened is I went from level 30 to level 26, which isn't bad. It also changes what skillseeds you get, though that's pretty obvious. I think it's worth it though since it gives me something to do with the wind orbs, plus I won't get walled by water enemies which happened in the fight I was just in.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Is the only way to upgrade Ability Level to fuse a card that has the same Ability? Skillseed fusion is pretty easy with all the Cactaurs but it's Ability level giving me trouble right now.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I'm already starting to hit card inventory limits -- is there anything worthwhile to do with the 1* cards at all, or should I just sell them? They're worth piddly amounts of fusion exp and don't seem to grand seed or ability bonuses on fusion.

Edit: Also, is the thing to do save up tickets for 4* ability pulls? I'm on chapter 2 and my main cards for my mage or at or near max level, but most of them are 3*s are don't appear to be augmentable to 4*.

Aerox fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

By the way if anyone wants my FC it's 2039-7182-a82b

• Locked thread