Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Fel'Jyani
HP: 10/10 | AC: 14 | 18/20 Arrows 20/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Passive Perception: 15

I barely noticed just how much my hands were shaking as I dug through my pack for the kit of bandages and salves that I kept for emergencies; as soon as the wolves came, I had ducked back to the main road, so I managed to avoid taking any wounds. But Marcos...

"Gods, if any of you are listening, we could really use a miracle..."

My mouth uttered a quiet prayer, an unfamiliar action to me, as I bound up his injuries best as I could. Still shaken, I managed a nod to Red before all of us ran down the road, to wherever it led...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level 1 Paladin
-3 HP | 18 AC
Streams of light drifted into Marcos' eyes, not touching the deep slumber he laid in. He once again saw the brief smile of Sonna again, if only for a second. His body bounced on Red's muscular shoulders, but, for the time, Marcos couldn't feel any of it. It was peace he had long searched for. His breathing was no longer ragged as the party marched further into the forest, determined to find civilization.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
C. SVALICH WOODS

Perhaps fifteen to twenty minutes after the battle the group has lost sight of the dire wolves, and can see more light coming from ahead. The road leads out! As they move forward the trees recede and they find themselves in some plains. Or perhaps a valley. Or just a rather large clearing. The trees split off to the north and south, the clearing stretching further south than north. To the south you can just make out what looks like a river. But to the west you can see a city, or perhaps a town or village. You can't quite make out its size from here, but the road seems to lead straight to it.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Hong Xióng-Hü, Level One Barbarian

Red's fury keeps her pushing the group to go at a quick pace, at least until the combat high wears off and the pain sets in, at which point she actually notices the gash in her neck.

"Goddamn! Haven't had a hit that bad since the time I got an arrow to the face. Same one that took out my eye. I'm used to one-on-one fights in well-lit arenas. Speaking of which..."

Her eye scans the horizon and sees the light of city life.

"I'm heading that way with this sack of dead weight. You all can come too."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dan Fei Son
1st Level Monk
9/9 HP

"We're much more likely to be safe for the night in civilization. We can continue on during the light of day."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 10/10 | AC: 14 | 18/20 Arrows 20/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Passive Perception: 15

After how almost deadly our skirmish with the wolves was, I had no intent on separating myself from the two biggest folks in our group. Closing behind Red as she starts making her way towards the village, I turn back to the others.

"I, I really don't think we should split up if we don't have to. Safety in numbers, right?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
C. SVALICH ROAD

The party continues along the road, following it toward the village perhaps a mile, mile and a half, away from the forest's edge.

E. VILLAGE OF BAROVIA

Tall shapes loom out of the dense fog that surrounds everything. The muddy ground underfoot gives way to slick, wet cobblestones. The tall shapes become recognizable as village dwellings. The windows of each house stare out from pools of blackness. No sound cuts the silence except for mournful sobbing that echoes through the streets from a distance.

The gravel road leads to a village, its tall houses dark as tombstones. Nestled among these solemn dwellings are a handful of closed-up shops. Even the tavern is shut tight. A soft whimpering draws your eye toward a pair of children standing in the middle of an otherwise lifeless street.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 9, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

Instinct told me that this was likely a trap, one way or another. But nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they said. Besides, on the off chance that these two completely suspicious children were actually in need of help... well, who better than us? It didn't seem as if very many people inhabited this village. Or they were afraid to show themselves. Walking up to the two children, I softly said,

"Um, hello there. Are you two alright?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
E. VILLAGE OF BAROVIA

After shushing the boy, the girl turns to you and says, "There's a monster in our house!" She then points to a tall brick row house that has seen better days. Its windows are dark. It has a gated portico on the ground floor, and the rusty gate is slightly ajar. The houses on either side are abandoned, their windows and doors boarded up.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 9, 2016

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Moira

"Thank the gods!" Moira fell to her knees. She had never been so happy to see a village her entire life. That feeling soon lost its luster once she had taken in her surroundings. She quickly pulled herself off the wet cobble by her staff and brushed her robe down.

Composure regained, Moira followed the elf, Fee was it? over to the children. She didn't their story for a second.

"Oh aye? A beastie lingering in your home? I might have a few suggestions," she said as flames flared in her upturned palm. "What are you two doing out here anyway? Have you no kin to call upon in your time of need?"

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 9, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
E. VILLAGE OF BAROVIA

The boy seems to flinch at the sight of the flames. The girl puts an arm around him. "Our parents locked the monster in the basement. It screams are terrible. We need help, what will happen of baby Walter?"

As Moira begins to question the children Fee notices that the fog is moving in, no mists seem to be flowing around the nearby buildings.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

Noticing Moira draw up beside me, sudden flame in hand, I shake my head at her.

"H, hold on. We shouldn't do anything drastic, especially not if there's a baby involved."

Not that I thought she was wrong to have her suspicions. Yet even if this was some kind of trick, even the possibility of burning down a house with a baby in it... horrible to even think about.

"I can't speak for everyone else, but I'll help at least. S, some of us are hurt right now, and one of us is unconscious, but once we get some rest-."

Turning back towards the others, my eyes catch the fog edging closer, except for around the buildings.

"That's weird; fog isn't supposed to avoid things..."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
E. VILLAGE OF BAROVIA

The boy clutches his doll closely. The girl looks up to Fee. "Thank you. Please kill the monster and save baby Walter." She points to the house nearby, the one in the best condition of all the houses nearby. But even as Fee looks up to where the girl is pointing she can see the mist moving in closer and closer, engulfing building after building. Only a few more buildings stand between them and the encroaching mists. Such odd behavior.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Moira

"If the beast were trapped, how did you not flee with him?"

Moira saw the fog roll in. She closed her hand into a fist, extinguishing the flames, and shook her head.

"No matter. If your 'parents' have the wits to confine the creature, they are clever enough to finish it off. Now, begone spirits, we have need of food and rest." she turned back to the group, "what say you? To the tavern?"

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 9, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
E. VILLAGE OF BAROVIA

The children look confused and hurt as Moira dismisses them.
Meanwhile the mists have closed in, all the party can see are the mists, the children, the front of the house, and themselves. And yet the mists still rush forth.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dan Fei Son
1st Level Monk
9/9 HP

Dan Fei looks around at what little she can see, noticeably unperturbed.

"It seems I may have been wrong about our safety."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Yveth
13 HP 15 AC 80/20 bolts
"This mist is your doing, isn't it? But you didn't need to coerce us: we kill monsters. Bring us to it, we shall slay it and you will release us or meet the same fate. Understood? Then go." She points with her bow-gun to the door.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Moira

Moira breathed a sigh of defeat. Wandering the mists with a split party, or worse alone was not an appealing idea, nor was leaving the others to fight a monster divided.

"Fine. But first allow us time for our resting comrade to wake up."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
E. VILLAGE OF BAROVIA

The children look very scared of Yveth, cowering from her, the boy moving behind the girl and hiding from Tveth. They bring the party toward the door, but look too frightened to enter.

"Our parents locked the monster in the basement, we don't know what it looks like. Please kill it. And save Walter, he is in the third-floor nursery."

The mists continue closing in, closer and closer, as you are herded toward the door.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Moira

"Alrighty, let's get this over with! More likely to find sanctuary in there than out here." Moira moved to the doors and turned the knob, then kicked them open.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 10, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

1. ENTRANCE

A wrought-iron gate with hinges on one side and a lock on the other fills the archway of a stone portico (area lA). The gate is unlocked, and its rusty hinges shriek when the gate is opened. Oil lamps hang from the portico ceiling by chains, flanking a set of oaken doors that open into a grand foyer (area lB).

Moira opens the gate and moves in, checking the door to find it unlocked and kicks the door open. It slams open.

Hanging on the south wall of the foyer is a shield emblazoned with a coat-of-arms (a stylized golden windmill on a red field), flanked by framed portraits of stony-faced aristocrats. Mahogany-framed double doors leading from the foyer to the main hall (area 2A) are set with panes of stained glass.

The children remain outside the gate, quickly enveloped in mists. Along with any party members who don't immediately enter the gate.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Yveth
13 HP 15 AC 80/20 bolts
"Children. Go. Inside. You can't stay out in this fog, whether or not you called it. There are wolves, who've killed one and injured another, and if our monster escapes the house through a cellar door or window you'll be alone and unprotected. Don't make me make you."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
E. VILLAGE OF BAROVIA

The children don't enter the house, however much Yveth tries to frighten them.

Okay I need to know who is going in and who is staying out in the mists.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Yveth
13 HP 15 AC 80/20 bolts
Yveth, a grown woman, pushes the children inside and goes in herself. "Everyone go."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Hong Xióng-Hü, Level One Barbarian

Red was going to find a tavern to lay down at and rouse the useless lump of chainmail on her shoulder, but given the prodding from everyone involved, it seems she's no choice but to follow.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dan Fei Son
1st Level Monk
9/9 HP

"Let's see where this takes us, I suppose." Dan Fei follows into the house.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Moira

After kicking open the door, Moira found her attention taken by the crest at the end of the foyer. Her time raiding carriages had seen many a noble house's coat of arms emblazoned on their sides or flashed at her by the occupants. Now she was faced with one that was wholly unfamliar. That was a problem. (History check of 17.)

"Any of you seen a crest of this make?" she pointed toward the shield with her thumb. "Never seen its like in Faerun before. Believe you me, I've seen a few."

With a shrug, she moved to the next door and placed her hand on the knob.

"Bound to find out soon enough, eh?"

Moira waited until the rest of the group entered before kicking open the next door.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 10, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

DEATH HOUSE
1. ENTRANCE

Yveth tries to push the children in ahead of her, they go as far as the portico but if she tries to push them through the actual doors she stumbles through them as her hands pass right through. Red reluctantly follows the others through the gate and into the house. Feeling the mists begin to sap her strength as she just makes it through before they enclose on her.

Once everyone passes the front door, checking the shield Moira points out, the door slams shut.

Meanwhile Moira pushes on, not content to wait for a three hour short rest. The door bursts open, as she smartly makes certain to turn the handle before kicking it open.

2. MAIN HALL

A wide hall (area 2A) runs the width of the house, with a black marble fireplace at one end and a sweeping, red marble staircase at the other. Mounted on the wall above the fireplace is a longsword with a windmill cameo worked into the hilt. The wood-paneled walls are ornately sculpted with images of vines, flowers, nymphs, and satyrs. The decorative paneling follows the staircase as it circles upward to the second floor. Five more doors can be found in this room.

Map

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Moira

"Seems safe enough," Moira looked around the room while she dusted off her hands. "Why don't we rest here for a while?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE
2. MAIN HALL

Finally finding a place that seems relatively safe the group settles down for the night. Thankfully the night seems to pass uneventful, and they all wake more or less refreshed.

Unless someone wants to keep exploring before taking a long rest I will just be moving on to the next morning, Marcos will be awake and fully healed by this point.

Map

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Yveth
13 HP 15 AC 80/20 bolts
"So the kids were ghosts, and mist, lethal. We don't–never had a choice." She locks the front door and spends the rest with her back against the wall with the best concealment from every door depending on its position and which way it swings. Bow-gun unloaded but pairs of bolts in arm's reach.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

Ugh, feel like I just got done wrestling a bear. My thanks, Red. Were it not for you, I would have died back in those woods. Here--I have little to offer now, but I pray that this may be of use to you.

Marcos reaches into his pack and pulls out a small flask. This was a gift from my patrons. It will give you strength in dire times. Were I smarter, I may have used it when we were being assaulted by those wolves. Marcos smiles softly.

Actually, were I smarter, I would have gotten to the road sooner. The flask contains a potion of heroism, which Marcos explains to Red.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dan Fei Son
1st Level Monk
9/9 HP

Dan Fei Son pulls out her staff, keeping it at the ready. "It can't be worse than the wolves."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

"Um, please be more careful, would you Marcos? I bandaged you up best I could, but I dunno if I'll be there next time."

I glanced around the hall, having not done so when we came in from a mixture of exhaustion and nervousness. Five doors, and a stairway up, at least as far as I could tell. That meant... a lot of ground to cover. Plus a basement somewhere where the monster apparently was. With six of us here, one monster shouldn't be too much trouble, but after last night's fiasco I was hesitant to jump right in.

"W, we need to find out where the basement is, but maybe we should search around first? Try and, and find some clues that might tell us what exactly is down there. Start with the first floor, and make our way? Um, that's what I think anyways."

My eyes catch sight of the sword above the fireplace with the interesting hilt. Curious, I walk over, seeing if I can take it down.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE
2. MAIN HALL

It takes little effort for Fee to take the sword down.

Probably a good idea to write it down as Longsword, windmill cameo, Death House.
Map

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

Pleasantly surprised that it came down so easily, I tuck it away with the rest of my gear. We were helping those kids get rid of a monster, after all, and I doubted they'd miss the one sword. Besides, if it turned out to be important to them or something, I could quietly put it back.

Checking out each of the doors, it didn't appear as if any them had any distinctive markings. However, one was somewhat smaller than the rest, which drew me over to investigate. Hand on the handle, I look back at the others as I begin opening the door.

"If it's all right with everyone, let's start with this room?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE
2. MAIN HALL

Fee goes over to check the small door, opening it she finds a cloakroom (area 2B) that has several black cloaks hanging from hooks on the walls and a top hat sitting on a high shelf.

Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

This is too simple. Fee, search the cloaks for any clues, but be careful.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
DEATH HOUSE
2. MAIN HALL

Fee, with Marcos' help searches the closet. But they don't find anything new in the closet.

Map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

Disappointed at the lack of substance, I pettily swipe the top hat from the shelf before stepping back into the hall.

"Well... at least it wasn't a trap?"

• Locked thread