Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos the level one paladin of Tyr

An intricately carved metal amulet hangs from the tall human's neck. Covered in scavenged armor and carrying a blade that has seen its fair share of battle, he looks a warrior who has seen battle time and time again. Despite his rough edges, his smile still puts one's heart at ease. In his manner, you see a tenderness not typically seen in a warrior. The paladin was a sight different from what was expected, lacking the bright armor that was frequently expected, as well as showing only a small proof of his devotion, hanging from his neck.

MARCOS: Greetings, fellows. My name is Marcos. Marcos smiles. It is my hope that our meeting will be the beginning of wondrous friendships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
HP 12/12 |AC 18

This bodes ill. The tracks disappear as we make progress? I smell a snare.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
12 HP | 18 AC

Be alert, I sense death here. We've still seen neither hide nor hair of any beast, and I'm not sure those gates were opened by the wind. There are things other than werewolves here and I'd rather not meet their teeth.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos, Level one Paladin
12 HP |18 AC

I'll not be far behind you, Red. I've been itching for a fight since we started moving through the woods, anyway. Keep an eye on the flank. I don't know how smart they are, but the darkness affords them a powerful strength.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marocs
Level 1 Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

We're being strung along here. I don't think we should stay here, we need to press forward. We have no ground to give here if it comes to a fight. Keep watching the flanks and keep your heads down.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

Speak of vampires. That this man was caught by a werewolf, these woods are treacherous. I think there is more to fear out there than wolves. If you'll excuse me for a moment. Fee, would you lead me to the young man? I would be remiss if I were to not deliver some sort of prayer for him.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP |18 AC
Marcos kneels and says a short prayer. He knows time is of the essence, and having never met the man, can say little more for him than general benedictions. He stands back up and looks at Fee. We need to rejoin everyone. I have a bad feeling about that howl. It seemed distant, but we can never know.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
4/12 HP | 18 AC
Yveth's warning came too late for Marcos; he swung at the wolf but it nimbly dodged away. He gritted his teeth, knowing that the worst was soon to come.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level 1 Paladin
-3 HP | 18 AC
Streams of light drifted into Marcos' eyes, not touching the deep slumber he laid in. He once again saw the brief smile of Sonna again, if only for a second. His body bounced on Red's muscular shoulders, but, for the time, Marcos couldn't feel any of it. It was peace he had long searched for. His breathing was no longer ragged as the party marched further into the forest, determined to find civilization.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

Ugh, feel like I just got done wrestling a bear. My thanks, Red. Were it not for you, I would have died back in those woods. Here--I have little to offer now, but I pray that this may be of use to you.

Marcos reaches into his pack and pulls out a small flask. This was a gift from my patrons. It will give you strength in dire times. Were I smarter, I may have used it when we were being assaulted by those wolves. Marcos smiles softly.

Actually, were I smarter, I would have gotten to the road sooner. The flask contains a potion of heroism, which Marcos explains to Red.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

This is too simple. Fee, search the cloaks for any clues, but be careful.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

Hmm. I suppose it's fortunate nothing happened. Stay on guard. There's a monster in this house for certain.

Marcos looks around at the doors, sighing. They all look the same. Might as well pick one and go with it. Here. He points at the northwesternmost door. Might as well start with this one. Everyone, stay back a few steps while I open this door.

Marcos carefully opens the door...

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

This is finer tableware than I expected. Something about it feels off to me, though--this hunt has felt like snare after snare. I want to get my bearings. I haven't seen the light of day for some time. Marcos gently brushes aside the drapes to look outside.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

Thrice cursed fog. May as well search the room, make sure we're not being watched.

Marcos examines the painting briefly before moving to the wood paneling. He carefully knocks on the wall and listens to see if he can hear anything behind it.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

Marcos backs up in surprise. Ghastly. Still, nothing of danger found. Let us resume our search. Fee, open the next door, if you would.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

Can't say I'm too surprised seeing a kitchen so close to a dining room. Still, we are presented with more and more choices. I'll check the door behind the stove.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

Despite not finding any threats, Marcos cannot shake the unease he feels in this house. We need to keep searching. Might as well check out this other door while we're in the kitchen.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

Feh. Not a one of us fitting in there. Let's move on. Marcos carefully opens the last ground floor door.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

That armor could come in handy. Before I do anything, though...Marcos channels his divine sense to ascertain if the house is unhallowed.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

Another room. Still, best we make sure that we're not going to be ambushed if we keep moving up. Marcos moves to open the door

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

Marcos finishes his prayer and moves over to examine the letter. He frowns. Strange letter. Dread lord and master? We're caught up in something horrible. Fee, if you don't mind, I'll check the rest of the chest. It might offer more clues to the nature of this manor.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

I find it unlikely that the masters of the house are still living. I'll take these wills and make an attempt to return them to the proper owners. These scrolls and books will likely come in handy as well, if someone wants them.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

We've spent enough time here. Let's move upstairs. We can look at these books later. Marcos eyes the books with disgust.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

More doors, but I feel we're almost at the end of it. They said there was a child up here, yes? Let's try to find the nursery. I'll start with this door.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

Marcos sheathes his sword and moves to the door he moved to open earlier. He tries to hide a small smile on his face. Now, let's see this door....

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
12 HP | 18 AC

I don't think there's anything dangerous in here. Fee, let's look around.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
5 HP | 18 AC

I think that drat thing broke my nose! Marcos swings, but misses as Fee's arrow flies true

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
510 HP | 18 AC

As a firebolt sails past Marcos, he throws his weight into a sword strike at the broom. No one can tell what did it in, but it explodes into splinters. As Marcos grimaces, his face still smarting, he turns his attention to the lupine form before him. His shield raised, he awaits an attack from the beast, one that doesn't come. He's heard stories of werewolves before, but this seemed different. Red?

He lowers his shield, not sensing hostility. Werewolves are unholy beasts, meant to be put down. But it felt wrong to him. This was his companion, and she had saved his life. She wasn't hostile. He had questions, and he would need answers before acting.

Marcos walks out of the room and grimaces again. He repaired the damage to his face using the holy gift given to him by Tyr. He would have preferred to save it, but he was presently the only person who was actually injured.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
10 HP | 18 AC

Marcos eyes the tub suspiciously, pulls a javelin from his pack, and throws it at the tub.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
10 HP | 18 AC

Marcos pulls his javelin out from the tub and after a quick, fruitless search, he moves on to search the east room with the double doors.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level One Paladin
10 HP | 18 AC

Marcos instinctively recoils from the box as he opens it. He sighs a sigh of relief as he finds that it contains nothing more dangerous than some jewelry. I'll take the box. We can divvy the spoils later, once we all make it out of this house. Now...I think there's only one room place left unsearched. Shall we go to the attic?

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Two Paladin
18 HP | 19 AC

Marcos's head had been in a daze since climbing the stairs. Something rang in his head; whether it was a new inner fire or a divine call, he felt more resolved to bring glory to Tyr's name. His daze drew him up the floor, where he meets the rest of the party.

(As the whole party has leveled up, I have opted to take the average roll for HP and the Defense fighting style. In addition, as a level two paladin, I have gained access to some spellcasting and the ability to smite enemies for significant damage. I have noted the spells that I will be preparing at present or a future time, at Ryuujin's discretion. Also, since I've been at work most of the day and couldn't follow what happened, Marcos kind of just zoned out as the party ascended into the attic.)

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level 2 Paladin
20 HP | 19 AC

The stench of decay hung in the air, searing Marcos's nostrils. He had been thinking, thinking about the death and decay and the vile rituals that ate away at the core of this mansion. This mansion, where he had seen a new friend die and be reborn, where two more became who they were not. He wrinkled his nose, trying to force it out, but it hung deep in his throat, in his chest, his gut. He thought nothing good would come of this horrid dank place, but he smiled when he saw Fee and Moira return the children to their resting places. There may be hope-a light at the end of the tunnel. He hoped that the rest of the party had not noticed how quiet he had been. Thinking took a lot out of him, but something about this place made him reflect on his life, his deeds.

There can't me much more to this place. Let's move. I'll take point.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level 2 Paladin
20 HP | 19 AC

You will have peace now. Fellows, to arms! Marcos rallies a war cry, but draws his sword late. His companions will fight, but the ghouls get the initiative.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Two Paladin
17 HP | 19 AC

Ha ha! I relish destroying fiends like you! Marcos looks a crazed beast, but still has enough foresight to quickly utter a prayer to protect Red; she gains +2 AC from Shield of Faith. He swings wildly at the female corpse, cutting a wide gash from her torso. Still, she moves on to assault Dan.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Two Paladin
9 HP | 19 AC

Guh?! I can't pull free! Marcos struggles but fails to free his sword arm.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Three Paladin
28 HP | 20 AC

As Marcos stepped from the house, he considered what had happened. He had died-died to those shadows, clawing and grasping at the light. But as he slept into an eternal sleep, something pulled him away from the glorious light-from Sonna, and his grandmother, and his brother. Something that had plans, plans dark enough that Marcos couldn't read them. It had changed him. His nose itched. It wouldn't stop itching, and he couldn't smell anything through it. He could barely stomach his rations. He felt like he had a head cold all the time, and blowing his nose did nothing to help. But they were free from the house, and its machinations. He felt resolved as he stepped into the light of this new town-Barovia...

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Three Paladin
28 HP | 20 AC

I fear no undead; rather, I would relish the opportunity to give these abominations rest. And it is only right that the burgomaster receive his rightful burial.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Three Paladin
28 HP | 20 AC

Marcos spends some time attempting to find more information out about Doru's condition, but is ultimately unsuccessful. He comes to the conclusion that he is undead, which means that the only cure for him is death. Still, Marcos is reluctant to attack the priest, and the priest insists that there must be a way to reverse the condition. Marcos decides to leave him to his vigil rather than force his way to Doru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Three Paladin
28 HP | 20 AC

Choices. I'm none too good with choices. Ireena, do you know the area? Is it faster to get through the Tser pool route?

• Locked thread