Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Fel'Jyani
HP: 10/10 | AC: 14 | 20/20 Arrows 20/20 Silver Arrows

I accepted the task with some measure of hesitation. It wasn't exactly what I expected, and I questioned whether or not my talents were fit for the challenge, but it would reflect poorly if I turned down my first order. Turning nervously to the much larger woman beside me, I mumble,

"Uh, hello. I'm Fel'Jyani, but just Fee is fine. I, I guess we're partners? We're probably gonna need more than just the two of us though..."

Eventually, after some searching throughout Daggerford, we come across several other like-minded individuals who we join up with. Though the man named Marcos seemed kind enough, I never was sure how to act around the religious types. Following his lead, I nod in acknowledgement to the others.

"Hey there. My name's Fel'Jyani, but please just call me Fee. Not really used to working in a big group like this, but here's hoping it works out."
Didn't mention it in narration, but silvering 20 of my 40 arrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 10/10 | AC: 14 | 20/20 Arrows 20/20 Silver Arrows | Passive Perception: 15

Even though I had never set foot in these woods, or any woods in general honestly, I somehow felt...not at home, exactly, but comfortable here. At least, that's how I felt until the atmosphere started taking a turn for the creepy. I very, very carefully scanned our surroundings, keeping a hand on my longbow and sticking close to Red as I did so. Fairly confident that our immediate vicinity was safe, I hesitantly let out,

"Um, I could probably try some scouting to get our bearings? I'm not really used to tracking, but my senses are pretty good... but maybe someone else should tag along, just in case? This fog is kinda giving me bad vibes..."

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 6, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

"That's easy to say... " I murmur quietly.

I mean, we were searching for werewolves here. Werewolves! It was kind of a huge leap from snatching trinkets or breaking into houses. Sighing aside to myself, I stare up at the ominous gates.

"So, I guess we go in? No point in standing around after coming this far."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

"Being led by our noses right from the start really doesn't feel good..."

Grumbling, I nevertheless nod in agreement with Marcos, making sure to keep the two eager warriors in front of me as we continued on into the forest.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 10/10 | AC: 14 | 18/20 Arrows 20/20 Silver Arrows | Passive Perception: 15

While it wasn't the first corpse that I had seen, it was still unpleasant to look at. Curious despite myself, I crept up to the man's body with my nose pinched, and snatch up the envelope. Stepping slightly away from the reeking corpse, I call back to the others as I begin to peel open the envelope.

"There's, uh, there's a dead man over here! Probably several days old? He had some kind of envelope on him that I'm trying to get open now..."

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 8, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 10/10 | AC: 14 | 18/20 Arrows 20/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Passive Perception: 15

I barely noticed just how much my hands were shaking as I dug through my pack for the kit of bandages and salves that I kept for emergencies; as soon as the wolves came, I had ducked back to the main road, so I managed to avoid taking any wounds. But Marcos...

"Gods, if any of you are listening, we could really use a miracle..."

My mouth uttered a quiet prayer, an unfamiliar action to me, as I bound up his injuries best as I could. Still shaken, I managed a nod to Red before all of us ran down the road, to wherever it led...

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 10/10 | AC: 14 | 18/20 Arrows 20/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Passive Perception: 15

After how almost deadly our skirmish with the wolves was, I had no intent on separating myself from the two biggest folks in our group. Closing behind Red as she starts making her way towards the village, I turn back to the others.

"I, I really don't think we should split up if we don't have to. Safety in numbers, right?"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

Instinct told me that this was likely a trap, one way or another. But nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they said. Besides, on the off chance that these two completely suspicious children were actually in need of help... well, who better than us? It didn't seem as if very many people inhabited this village. Or they were afraid to show themselves. Walking up to the two children, I softly said,

"Um, hello there. Are you two alright?"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

Noticing Moira draw up beside me, sudden flame in hand, I shake my head at her.

"H, hold on. We shouldn't do anything drastic, especially not if there's a baby involved."

Not that I thought she was wrong to have her suspicions. Yet even if this was some kind of trick, even the possibility of burning down a house with a baby in it... horrible to even think about.

"I can't speak for everyone else, but I'll help at least. S, some of us are hurt right now, and one of us is unconscious, but once we get some rest-."

Turning back towards the others, my eyes catch the fog edging closer, except for around the buildings.

"That's weird; fog isn't supposed to avoid things..."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

"Um, please be more careful, would you Marcos? I bandaged you up best I could, but I dunno if I'll be there next time."

I glanced around the hall, having not done so when we came in from a mixture of exhaustion and nervousness. Five doors, and a stairway up, at least as far as I could tell. That meant... a lot of ground to cover. Plus a basement somewhere where the monster apparently was. With six of us here, one monster shouldn't be too much trouble, but after last night's fiasco I was hesitant to jump right in.

"W, we need to find out where the basement is, but maybe we should search around first? Try and, and find some clues that might tell us what exactly is down there. Start with the first floor, and make our way? Um, that's what I think anyways."

My eyes catch sight of the sword above the fireplace with the interesting hilt. Curious, I walk over, seeing if I can take it down.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

Pleasantly surprised that it came down so easily, I tuck it away with the rest of my gear. We were helping those kids get rid of a monster, after all, and I doubted they'd miss the one sword. Besides, if it turned out to be important to them or something, I could quietly put it back.

Checking out each of the doors, it didn't appear as if any them had any distinctive markings. However, one was somewhat smaller than the rest, which drew me over to investigate. Hand on the handle, I look back at the others as I begin opening the door.

"If it's all right with everyone, let's start with this room?"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

Disappointed at the lack of substance, I pettily swipe the top hat from the shelf before stepping back into the hall.

"Well... at least it wasn't a trap?"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

Returning the tapestry to its place after finding nothing of interest, I walk over to where Marcos is finishing is investigating the paneling.

"That's...kinda creepy. But I don't really see anything else that noteworthy in here, so should we keep going?"

Thinking about the layout of the house, I head out the eastern door, which leads back into the main hall as I expected. Making sure that everyone not's too far behind, I try out the door adjacent to me.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

"Oh, a pantry! That's good! I was getting a little hungry, plus we can store some for later."

Squeezing past Marcos, I snatch up some fresh looking foodstuffs and happily munch away, up until I realize how bland everything tastes.

"Ugh, everything has... no taste. Won't complain about free rations though."

Still slightly disappointed, I put away some of the food in case of an emergency before continuing to follow Marcos.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

A little unused to there being so small a space that I can't fit in, I follow after Marcos to the next room, startled by the presence of the stuffed wolves.

"Oh! Oh. They're stuffed. Ha ha, guess, guess I was still on edge from last night. Um, let's see what's in those cabinets, shall we?"

Keeping an eye trained on the stuffed beasts, I pop open the two cabinets and peek about inside.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

"Nope. We found the dining room, kitchen, pantry...this weird den, but no sign of a way into the basement."

Putting aside the box with the cards for myself, I point out the variety of crossbows to the woman with a pair of her own.

"Um, I dunno if you need any of these, but the bolts are probably useful."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

My coin pouch awfully empty after preparing for this journey, even the smallest bit of money sounded appealing at the moment.

"I, I'll take that bet."

Cautiously, I approach both sets of armor to see if anything happens.

If it matters, I'll check the east wall and then the west wall.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

Cheerfully tucking aside the 10 silver, I step into the western room, examining the figurines in more detail. I recoil a little as upon closer inspection, some of the figurines appear to be depictions of skeletons.

"The decorating in this house is...really, really creepy."

Saying that, I pocket one of the normal dancers as well as one of the skeletal figurines.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

Shuffling through the desk in the library, I ignore most of the writing material and instead pick up an iron key that I find in one of the drawers. After some more searching and finding nothing of too much interest, we head back out into the hallway. Over by the staircase, however, was a small room that I hadn't noticed on our way up.

"H, hey, over there. There's another room."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

Noticing the crossbow lady moving on her own, I quietly follow behind her to see what she's doing. Watching her check the bookshelves, I start to wordlessly check as well, curious.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

"That's funny... what's this book?"

Intrigued, I pull the book from the shelf and begin to flip through its pages.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

Surprised by the sudden sight of the skeleton, I jam one of my pitons into the secret doorway, realizing that it had begun to close when I let go of the red book. Creeping into the room, I carefully examined the chest, trying to determine if it was dangerous is in any fashion. Behind me, I could hear Marcos' armor as he clanked inwards.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

Helping Marcos shift the body into the library where it's less cramped, his much shortened prayer fills my ears as I break the seal and unfurl the letter. I had listened to a few hymns and haws in my years, but never really paid them much mind. Yet here in this place, somehow it gave me a greater sense of peace than usual.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

"Oh, I can take the rest. Um, unless someone else wants them."

The books seemed as if they were worth a fair price, assuming I lived long enough to pawn it off. As for the scrolls... I couldn't read them, but they gave me a sense of comfort.

Thinking of books, I was reminded that there were still tomes within the secret room that we had yet to examine. Tidying my increasingly cluttered pack, I quickly step back in to search through the shelves.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 14, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 10/10 | AC: 14 | 17/20 Arrows 20/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Passive Perception: 15

Stunned by the sudden animation of the plate armor, I duck low and back into the corner of the hallway, Marcos circling around and parking himself in front of me. Remembering that half our group is still on lower floors, I shakily cry out,

"H, hey! E, everyone, there's a, a moving suit of armor up here! Attacking us!"

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 14, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 10/10 | AC: 14 | 17/20 Arrows 20/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Passive Perception: 15

Staying away from Red as she lashes out with rage, or possibly spite, I try out the cobwebbed door after listening first to ensure there's nothing on the other side.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 14, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 10/10 | AC: 14 | 16/20 Arrows 20/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Passive Perception: 15 | Exhaustion: 1

Though the mist gave me a bad feeling, I was curious to see if there was anything of interest out on the balcony. Thinking that, I stepped out, holding my breath as I glanced about. However, except for a glimpse of the attic that we seemed to have found a stairway to earlier, I could spot nothing.

Suddenly, my breath seized, and the mist began to fill my lungs. I ran back into the house, coughing as I did so.

"Found...nothing..."

Point of exhaustion from the mist.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 14, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 10/10 | AC: 14 | 16/20 Arrows 20/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Passive Perception: 15 | Exhaustion: 1

My eyes watch as he stows away the box, and then snap back upwards.

"Um, yeah, that's fine with me. Unless anyone else wants to search the balcony, cause...I don't."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 17/17 | AC: 14 | 16/20 Arrows 20/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Spells Slots: Level 1 - 2/2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Exhaustion: 1

I had seen a lot on the streets of Neverwinter, but none of it had prepared me for what we were going through in this house. For gods' sake, Red was beaten down by a broom! And there was something...off about her when she got back up. At least she didn't seem like she was on the edge of death anymore, but still.

Religion wasn't something that I kept on my mind during my youth. Small prayers here and there, but more to comfort myself than any real expectation. Yet I found myself praying more and more as we continued to explore further in this hellish place, to any god or goddess that would listen. And to my surprise, I could almost feel something growing within me, beginning to flow.

Or in other words, I multiclassed to Cleric (Life Domain) :v:

Recovering from my stupor, I look up at the others who I was following without thinking and continue after them.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 17/17] | AC: 14 | 16/20 Arrows 20/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Spells Slots: Level 1 - 2/2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Exhaustion: 0 :toot:

As we move through the quarters, I find myself put at ease as we make our way through each of the chests. It was a comforting and familiar routine. At least, up until we found the pouch made of human skin.

"Um... I don't think I want this..."

I look back at Moira, but judging from her reaction she wanted no part of it either, so I leave it there.

Took the Silvered Shortsword, hairbrush, and eyepatch. Also Ryuujin ruled we got a long rest when we levelled, fyi to anyone for whom that matters (Marcos)

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 17/17] | AC: 14 | 14/20 Arrows 19/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Spells Slots: Level 1 - 2/2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Exhaustion: 0

Coughing violently as the reeking corpse bursts out from the wall, a silver flame erupts from my hands as I dart to the corner of the quarters. Her claws rake across my back, but I make it there safely otherwise.

"C, careful everyone! I, I think I can heal you now like Marcos can, but don't be reckless."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 8/17] | AC: 14 | 12/20 Arrows 19/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Spells Slots: Level 1 - 2/2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Exhaustion: 0

Exhausted as we take another break, I didn't feel particularly as if I had caught my breath. Something about the air in this place maybe. Looking over at Red, who had previously pressed that we moved downstairs without any further investigation, I nod to the rest of the party.

"M, maybe we should keep moving on now. T, the orb was a nice find, but let's not try our luck. Again."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 27/]27] | AC: 15 | 12/20 Arrows 19/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Spells Slots: Level 1 - 3/3| Passive Perception: 15 | Exhaustion: 0

Saddened by Red's departure, I lead the remaining of our party towards what appeared to be a tavern. After our recent loss in addition to what we had seen in that horrible house, the prospect of a drink was rather alluring. Alas, beside the silver that I had won in a bet with Moira, I had little coin to purchase alcohol with. Most of the loot I had taken from the house had aged suddenly and rapidly, and had close to no value. Luckily, my silvered shortsword and armor were intact.

Inside, I nod at Moira, and start making my way over to the bartender.

"H, hello there. We're new in town. H, how much is a drink?"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 27/]27] | AC: 15 | 12/20 Arrows 19/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Spells Slots: Level 1 - 3/3| Passive Perception: 15 | Exhaustion: 0

"A, a pitcher then."

I slide him the silver coin, glancing around the rest of the tavern as I wait.

"So, um, what's there to see around here? We, we kind of came in a bit of a rush, so we haven't had a chance to look around."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

Grateful that I didn't have to spend one-tenth of the coin in my possession on the lone pitcher, I walk over to the man, checking behind me to see if the rest of my party follow.

"T, thank you. Nice to see a friendly face. Um, I'm Fee. A, and you?"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani

"H, help you say? What kind of help, exactly?"

My mind immediately thought of the two children when we first entered the village. It had turned out surprisingly well enough, but I had full intents on asking first this time around.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 27/27] | AC: 15 | 12/20 Arrows 19/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Spells Slots: Level 1 - 3/3| Passive Perception: 15 | Exhaustion: 0

"Ow, my head... w, what happened? T, the last thing I remember was a flash of light and then-"

I look down at my feet, transformed and deformed.

"Oh. T, this is...um, uncomfortable."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 11/24 | AC: 15 | 12/20 Arrows 19/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Spells Slots: Level 1 - 3/3| Passive Perception: 15 | Exhaustion: 0

Just how many wolves were in this place? Answer: more than I had ever wanted to see. Bitten on all sides, I grimace as I clutch a hand to my chest and offer a quiet prayer.

"W, whichever god or goddess is looking out for me, we could really use some help..."

Seconds passes, before a brief radiant light surges out and touches myself, Marcos, and Moira in particular.

WOLVES. Total healing: 14 to Moira, 3 to Fee, and 1 to Marcos with Channel Divinity + Healing Word. Good luck, everyone!

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 21/24 | AC: 15 | 12/20 Arrows 19/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Spells Slots: Level 1 - 2/3| Passive Perception: 15 | Exhaustion: 0

Still a little woozy from our skirmish with the wolves, I stumble up to the gates, nervously calling out.

"H, hello? I, is anyone there? W, we have some injured out here that could use help. There were all these wolves..."

I glance over at the impaled heads, somewhat put off by the sight, though I had the sense not to say as much.

Persuasion: 7, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Fel'Jyani
HP: 21/24 | AC: 15 | 12/20 Arrows 19/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Spells Slots: Level 1 - 2/3| Passive Perception: 15 | Exhaustion: 0

"Um, w, would you happen to know if there's any stores in town where we could resupply? Maybe sell off a few things?"

I nervously take a sip at the wine as I listen to their answer. It was somewhat...annoying, I supposed, having so little coin that I had to mooch off Marcos, but I had intention of wasting good drink. Afterwards, I hand them the coin needed for a room of my own, and make my own upstairs to wash off all the wolf's blood.

• Locked thread