Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Hey everybody! Remember Twenty Player poo poo-Talking Candyland? I was in it, and I was inspired. I was also inspired by this video about casual vs. competitive games. Specifically, they mock the idea of "Casual Monopoly."

So let's play Casual Monpoly. With 24 18 players. And poo poo-talk each other.

Hold up CirclMastr, I'm not watching a 20-minute video about Netrunner just to find out what "Casual Monopoly" means.
Well you boring person, allow me to explain. "Casual Monopoly" is Monopoly where nobody buys properties.

So what, you land on Boardwalk and nothing happens? That's boring. You're boring.
I may be boring, but it won't be "nothing happens." See, I figure if nobody is buying property, it's because the property is already owned. Maybe by the bank, maybe by Donald Trump, whoever. So when you land on a property, you pay rent. Last person to have money wins. (Oh, and despite the premise that all the property is held by one unseen entity, rent isn't doubled for them having a monopoly. It's just the normal rent amount.)

Rules v. 2.1 (framework stolen from Allen Wren)

1. The players consist of eighteen goons, divided into six teams of three (Team Hat, Team Shoe, Team Battleship, Team Thimble, Team Cannon, and Team Iron).
1a. In order to facilitate signups, please indicate your team of first choice with your signup post. If that team is full by the time your name is reached, you will be shuffled at random into one of the other teams.
2. A standard Monopoly board is used. In this case, the Retro series 1935 edition. It is sitting on my dining room table. Photos of the board and die rolls will be posted to the thread to keep everyone in the loop as the game proceeds.
2a. We will be using modified decks of Chance and Community Chest cards, removing the Chance card "Make General Repairs on all of Your Houses" (since it's a blank card in Casual Monopoly) and the Community Chest card ""A Collection Has Been Taken Up and Everyone Must Donate 10% of His Holdings to You (Cash)" (because the game would just be "who can luck into this card the most?").
2b. Cards will be shuffled before each turn.
3. There are two goals:
3a. One, to be the overall champion, to be better than the other 17 chumps who went from $1500 to bankrupt.
3b. Additionally, the best team will be determined by seeing which team is last to be completely eliminated. Or maybe it should be said the worst team is the first to be completely eliminated.
4. Because suffering builds character, we will be playing without House Rules.
4a. Thus, all money lost due to board spaces, Chance/Community Chest, and bail payments go to the bank. There is no pot of money to win by landing on Free Parking.
4b. Likewise, you do not earn double money by landing exactly on Go.
4c. Income Tax will always take 10% of cash on hand, rounded up. Get Out of Jail Free cards have no value when determining Income Tax.
5. On a given turn, each player will be rolled two dice and moved "simultaneously," that is, where each player ends their turn is considered to have been reached at the same point.
5a. If multiple players land on Chance or Community Chest simultaneously, cards will be dealt out in the order of poorest player to richest (if Chance) or richest player to poorest (if Community Chest). Ties are broken randomly by rolling one die.
5b. If any other issues of simultaneity arise, the issue will be resolved by random die roll.
6. Get Out of Jail Free cards will, by default, be kept until the first time the player would pay bail, at which point they are automatically used.
6a. If a player would like to use their Get Out of Jail Free card before this, or save it for a later jailing, they must post either ##No Butt Stuff (to get out) or ##More Butt Stuff (to save the card for later). It must be in that format, or it will be ignored.
7. Each team also will have the chance to earn Jokers, because I've watched far too many ridiculous American game shows. Between turns, any player may use their team's Joker by posting ##Joker in the thread. It must be in that format, or it will be ignored.
7a. The Joker may only be used once in a game per team. On the turn following a Joker's activation, every player on that team will roll two pairs of dice, and each piece will be moved according to the more profitable of those two rolls.
7b. If a Jokering player rolls totals that would put them on different spaces, the priority for defining "profitability" are firstly paying less money, secondly landing on Chance/Community Chest, and lastly moving ahead as far as possible. For this definition, "Go to Jail" will count as equivalent to $50 loss (the bail money to get out).
7c. The first player to circle the board and pass Go will be designated the rabbit. Each time the rabbit passes Go (including the first time), everyone will have the opportunity to earn a Joker for their team. Only one Joker can be earned by each team at each opportunity.
8. Because normal rent rates are too low to overcome the $200 per lap from Go, rents will increase periodically.
8a. The final player to reach or pass Go will be designated the tortoise. Each time the tortoise passes Go (including the first time), rents will increase on all properties.
8b. When utilities and railroads increase in rent, utilities will be treated as though both are owned, and railroads will move one step up in the number of railroads owned. When another property increases in rent, one house will be placed on each property in that row.
8c. Because I lack patience, component limits will not be respected. Eventually every property will have a hotel, despite the game not including that many hotels.
8d. If anyone is bored or stupid enough to play Casual Monopoly again, it is recommended they replace all of rule 8 with "Reaching or passing Go does not award any money."
9. There will be some setup time between recruiting all six teams and actually beginning play while playing pieces are constructed. This should not exceed a day or two at most.
10. If you do not talk poo poo about your opponents, you are probably boring. Don't be boring.
11. We know this game is broken as hell, just roll with it.

TEAMS

TEAM HAT
1. UnCO3
2. Allen Wren
3. DivineCoffeeBinge

TEAM SHOE
1. Aafter
2. Pez
3. Ron Roenicke

TEAM BATTLESHIP
1. Podima
2. bowmore
3. berenzen

TEAM THIMBLE
1. chaoslord
2. Maigius
3. JakeP

TEAM CANNON
1. PBS Newshour
2. Lemniscate Blue
3. TheNabster

TEAM IRON
1. oldskool
2. Spigs
3. Absurd Revolver

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
Sign me up for Team Shoe. This sounds rad.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Rule 4a is bullshit. Gimme Team Battleship.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Team Thimble

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Team Hat here, ready to show Team Shoe who's top and who's not

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
Well, you know what they say about big feet, nerd.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Team Battleship babay

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Aafter posted:

Well, you know what they say about big feet, nerd.
big feet are for clowns, man

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

oh holy gently caress

e: i'm the hat

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Also I see there is no Rosemary rule this time.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.

Allen Wren posted:

I was disappointed, too. CirclMaster, go buy a cat.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Who wants to be a thimble when you can be Team Battleship.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Aafter posted:

I was disappointed, too. CirclMaster, go buy a cat.

Rosemary's appearance fees are also very reasonable, although there is travel reimbursement to consider. And also the meeping.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

Rosemary's appearance fees are also very reasonable, although there is travel reimbursement to consider. And also the meeping.

the constant, constant meeping

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

I have two dogs, no cats. Nothing that can get on the table.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ok
team canon

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Podima posted:

Rule 4a is bullshit. Gimme Team Battleship.

House rules are garbage for garbage people

Money on Free Parking actually prolongs the game by keeping money circulating in the system longer.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
why the gently caress would you want to prolong monopoly?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

bowmore posted:

why the gently caress would you want to prolong monopoly?

Nobody does, it's a reaction to the inherent cruelty of the game. The philosophy is like "oh everyone gets ground down over the course of the game, it feels like we only ever lose money, maybe we'll be nice and put this mechanism in to give people money back" when all that does is make it take longer for people to go bankrupt. If you want Monopoly to go faster, you want people to lose more quickly. It's not a game about winning, it's a game about failing to fail for the longest period of time.

Actually, I wonder how Pay Day holds up since it's no longer the 70s

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I missed joining Candyland by a few posts, so put me on Team Shoe so I can kick some asses in Monopoly

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Allen Wren posted:

Nobody does, it's a reaction to the inherent cruelty of the game. The philosophy is like "oh everyone gets ground down over the course of the game, it feels like we only ever lose money, maybe we'll be nice and put this mechanism in to give people money back" when all that does is make it take longer for people to go bankrupt. If you want Monopoly to go faster, you want people to lose more quickly. It's not a game about winning, it's a game about failing to fail for the longest period of time.

Actually, I wonder how Pay Day holds up since it's no longer the 70s
i actually had fun playing the modern version of pay day

idk why, but it was silly and required almost no choices

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

bowmore posted:

i actually had fun playing the modern version of pay day

idk why, but it was silly and required almost no choices

From what I'm reading on BGG, the modern version makes it so there's basically no chance you'll ever run out of money, which basically defeats the purpose of the game.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Allen Wren posted:

From what I'm reading on BGG, the modern version makes it so there's basically no chance you'll ever run out of money, which basically defeats the purpose of the game.
they changed it to whoever gets the most money wins, which in modern capitalist society is pretty accurate

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I want to be on Team Hat

We will crush all who stand before us

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

bowmore posted:

they changed it to whoever gets the most money wins, which in modern capitalist society is pretty accurate

I thought that was what it was already.

tbf, I haven't played it since approximately 1991.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I want to be on Team Hat

We will crush all who stand before us

With what? Your loose and floppy brim?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

berenzen posted:

With what? Your loose and floppy brim?

Yes.

And our brims will be glorious and sturdy as befits hats of such magnanimity and grace as to partake in this most noble of capitalistic endeavors.

P.S. I don't have to take any guff from an obsolete naval doctrine, you

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Ironborn, if you please.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Is this american monopoly or british monopoly?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

TheNabster posted:

Is this american monopoly or british monopoly?

American. Although I am not familiar with the difference between the two.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

American. Although I am not familiar with the difference between the two.

In British Monopoly you get paid in potatoes and players who go bankrupt are transported to Australia.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

denominations of pounds and different street names, if memory serves

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
:10bux:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm not afraid to call an artillery strike on my own coordinates.

Put me on Team Cannon, please.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

We are halfway to a complete roster, unless I missed someone.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I enjoyed the Candy-Land Version I promise to me more active so put me on Team Thimble.

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe
If you want a picture of the future of Monopoly, imagine Team Shoe stamping on all other teams' faces -- forever.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'm on the edge of my seat, wondering which team will fill up first.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
please join my team if you beatiful and want to date me thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
team cannon for me plz

• Locked thread