Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
look, i got a 100 percent in reading on my ACT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PBS Newshour posted:

look, i got a 100 percent in reading on my ACT

And then swore never to do it again?

You are terrible PBS Newshour

Just terrible

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I take an issue with that.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

PBS Newshour posted:

I take an issue with that.

TERRIBLE

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
even if i dont win im better than all of you in life and in this game, suck my dick

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

you seem to be kinda phallicly fixated

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Allen Wren posted:

homophobe

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

JakeP posted:

even if i dont win im better than all of you in life and in this game, suck my dick

hmm gotta think of a monopoly based insult here... uhh money is in this game

i heard your dick is called the big short

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

Makes sense for a dude on Team Thimble

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

JakeP posted:

homophobe

nah

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
I treat my shoe like my ride
chrome on the fat laces at what wood on the inside
spray candy on the swoosh
With the electric poofs
since I put a kit on the sole now I got a wider shoe

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
What are you wearing clogs or something?

That doesn't sound comfortable to wear at all.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Turn 5

Die rolls. Aafter gets to stay in jail.

UnCO3 and DivineCoffeeBinge both land on Community Chest, while no-chest-having Allen Wren lands on Go.

Aafter sits alone in jail, Pez crosses Go (JOKER CHALLENGE INCOMING) and lands on Community Chest, and Ron is left way back on row 3.

berenzen and bowmore hang out in yellowtown while Podima crosses Go.

Team Thimble loves paying high rent, but at least chaoslord passes Go first.

TheNabster nabs Chance, Blue nabs a spot in prison, and PBS almost visits.

Spigs also lands on Chance, AbsurdRevolver lands on Go, and oldskool isn't waiting around for them.

Welp, UnCO3 pulls the scam of the century, getting mega rich. In fact, every card is a good one.

Rerolls threaten PBS with jail.

PBS and TheNabster both end up on Community Chest after their second roll.

Finally a bad card. Also I hosed up the picture but TheNabster got second prize in a beauty contest for $11.

No jail for PBS.

The state of the board at the end of the turn.

JOKER CHALLENGE
Remember, each team can win one Joker. So far this poo poo-talking game has just been poo poo. So, other than this one, share your worst board game experience.

MONEY TOTALS:
TEAM HAT - JOKER

1. UnCO3 - $2468
2. Allen Wren - $1416
3. DivineCoffeeBinge - $1602

TEAM SHOE - JOKER
1. Aafter - $1309
2. Pez - $1853
3. Ron Roenicke - $1372

TEAM BATTLESHIP
1. Podima - $1440
2. bowmore - $1363
3. berenzen - $1312

TEAM THIMBLE
1. chaoslord - $1475
2. Maigius - $1338
3. JakeP - $1316

TEAM CANNON - JOKER
1. PBS Newshour - $1449
2. Lemniscate Blue - $1380
3. TheNabster - $1717

TEAM IRON
1. oldskool - $1591
2. Spigs - $1670
3. Absurd Revolver - $1590

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my worst tabletop experience was playing the game fiasco and having a player imply that his character raped my own to end out a scene because the game is "darkly comic"

my worst board game experience was settlers of catan because tey played with the big multiplayer verison but then half the players exited as time went by and that just made the game last longer and longer for those who stuck in it, also i hate that game

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
My worst tabletop experience was just a few weeks ago, had someone insist on discarding face down in Smash Up and wouldn't let anyone look at his discard pile. Finally had a meltdown and threw his cards at me for "being a whiny bitch" since I was, you know, trying to make him follow the rules. Was even funnier when I won :v:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Well, now we know this is not an open carry cannon state. Bastards.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The best I've got is probably the game of Mage in college that ended up breaking up my gaming group for a while. Early on in the very first session, we were faced with some sort of basic decision about what to do next. One PC suggests going to location A to investigate the local weirdness. One PC suggests checking out location B. The rest of the group agrees with the guy who said A.

The guy who said B immediately swears blood vendetta against the rest of the group, and, being fairly uncreative and a Virtual Adept (but I repeat myself) decided the best way to do this was to teleport away (VAs, for those not up on their mid-90s sweary gamebooks, specialize in distorting space and zapping things from place to place with computers) to some place in the desert, get out his rocket launcher, fire the rocket into a gate in space-time whose other end would open up immediately behind (he was very insistent it would be behind them where they weren't looking) the other PCs, killing them all in a single stroke.

Things generally dissolved at that point.

Also gently caress yes, putting on my Opera Hat. Team Hat knows how to make everyone else pay for tickets.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

My worst board game experience (rather than the worst tabletop game experience which is a whole other beast) is actually about Monopoly!

Well, sort of. It was college, so it was Beeropoly.

The rules were quite simple; round all dollar amounts up to the next hundred, each hundred dollars equals one drink, each can of beer (Genessee Cream Ale - it was cheap, what do you want) contains ten drinks. If you have to pay money to the bank (or anyone else)? Drink that many drinks. If you get money, such as for passing Go? Tell someone else to drink that many drinks. If you're in jail? There's no beer allowed in jail, so you have three turns to finish your can of beer. If you fail, you are given a fresh can of beer, and have three turns to finish that can (plus whatever was left of the first can).

It was really quite fun up until the part where I spent nine consecutive turns in jail because the other players teamed up to run through their turns as rapidly as possible just to screw with me. Have you ever had to chug three cans of Genny Cream in quick succession? It is seriously awful. Like, ew.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Oh wow, board game. I can't read. Go me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Allen Wren posted:

Oh wow, board game. I can't read. Go me.

HOW QUICKLY THE TABLES HAVE TURN

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Also Aafter is demonstrably the worst player of Monopoly right now he sucks so bad

Just like the rest of Team Shoe, they are loving awful

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Really, I believe I've already posted about my worst board game experience:

Allen Wren posted:

Move 28-???

This will be the final game post of Twenty Player poo poo-Talking Candy Land.

I'm not going to talk much about what moves were actually made, though the complete rundown will be available in this post.

You'll see in my notes that I originally added in a lot of color commentary about what I was going to say about each move, "oh, that was close" or "stuck in yet another pile of gumdrops I see, Birdstrike" and so on.

And then I started noticing how long it was taking. And I realized that there were some fundamental flaws going on here.

(I've highlighted interesting bits in the notes, which, for the most part are players one square away from finishing getting dumped back to Plumpy or similar.)

Moves 28-37

Tommunist finishes on 29, Acebuckeye one turn later. At this point, I think, I'm on a roll!

Moves 38-43

Gummy almost show solidarity (the last blue card in the deck got dealt to Birdstrike that turn.)

Moves 44-49

The second of at least ten instances where a player on the last possible space draws a character card, and I doodle a possible rule idea.

I think this is from about here.

Moves 50-55

JakeP finishes on Move 50, CPig and Chaoslord within the next three turns, and it looks like Gummy may have a say in this after all.

Here's the table just after Move 52.

Moves 56-61

PBS finishes on Move 57 and it looks like Gummy is going to turn the tables...except Infinitum drew Mint back on 52 and won't be a factor for a bit.

In the meantime, things start getting nuts, with Lollipop threatening to win the whole shebang.

But of course Podima gets Plumpied and DJW drops into the Ice Cream Sea.

Moves 62-68

Disaster strikes Mint, just as they look to be sealing a comeback. RF and Idiot get Plumpied and Jollied while Birdstrike remains stuck somewhere (which was a running theme of the entire night, as the constant stream of "Bird still stuck" notes would indicate)

Also, you should listen to the albums I had on while I was doing this, it's good.

PLAYLIST:
Marissa Nadler - Strangers
Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV
Kraftwerk - Ralf und Florian
This classical record
Manzanera - K-Scope
Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus (live)

I believe this was taken around turn 62. Oddly, there's literally no one on the left half of the board.

Moves 69-75

Whenever you see a negative number in parenthesis, that's how short the player was from the final square when they got taken out by a wandering Jolly or what-have-you. On the 73rd turn, Podima finishes the game, meaning that both Lollipop and Gummy are one away from taking the title of best team.

Moves 76-87

Notes are definitely becoming less verbose now, and I'm doing all I can to minimize the writing. Unfortunately, the writing helps keep me focused, and prevents me from losing track of whose turn is where, so it needs to continue on some level.

After Move 81 and I'm definitely a bit fried. But I'm the one who decided to do this, so...

Either way, three turns later, djw crosses the line, bringing all of Lollipop home.

But we're not done, I guess?

Moves 88-99

Bird gets stuck in the gumdrops for something like the third time (not counting the once or twice he got lost in the forest or stuck in the swamp.) RF finishes up on turn 94.

Moves 100-118

At this point, things start getting a little bullshit. I tell myself, if we're not out of here in another 50 moves, the rules have gotta be hosed with. Also, Maigius gets the Queen Frostine card twice in a row, so they don't move the second time, since they're already there. It's starting to get a little Weird.

Moves 119-143

Things are getting so bullshit that Bird gets four moves away from Jolly then draws him again.

Moves 144-165

So, the new rule. From turn 150 on, each player can only be affected by a particular character card once. If it shows up again for them, they draw again. Should have thought of this 100+ turns ago. Birdstrike gets the gently caress out of Dodge come turn 158. The new rule first kicks in six turns later.

Moves 166-185

Final Rankings:

1. Li Dawny
2. CirclMastr
3. DivineCoffeeBinge
4. bowmore
5. Absurd Revolver
6. Tommunist
7. Acebuckeye13
8. JakeP
9. CapitalistPig
10. chaoslord
11. PBS Newshour
12. oldskool
13. Podima
14. djw175
15. Retro Futurist
16. Solis
17. Infinitum
18. Birdstrike
19. Maigius

and...ladies and gentlemen, your 2016 Candy Land Mr. Irrelevant:

20. AnAnonymousIdiot

Once again, congratulations to Li Dawny and Team Lollipop for winning in stunning fashion.

Thank you for playing Twenty Player poo poo-Talking Candy Land.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

PBS Newshour posted:

HOW QUICKLY THE TABLES HAVE TURN

says the person who posted about fiasco which does not have a board

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Allen Wren posted:

says the person who posted about fiasco which does not have a board

uhh i said tabletop and then follow up with a proper board game

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

quote:

catan

quote:

proper board game

whatever you say pal

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Also Aafter is demonstrably the worst player of Monopoly right now he sucks so bad

Just like the rest of Team Shoe, they are loving awful

While we might be something awful, we still seem to be kicking your rear end. GO SHOE WOOOOO

Edit: ok at least I am. One foot, in front of the otheeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrr(s)

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Worst board game experience, playing Risk with some friends of mine: One friend's new girlfriend immediately made a coalition with him to wipe out the rest of us, stabbed him in the back & eliminated him when it was down to three because the third person was the only other female in the group and "lol girl power", and then pitched a fit when she proceeded to lose because 2/3 of her forces got wiped out taking out her boyfriend.

They're still together & thinking about having kids :negative:

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Get on my level, non-Hat scrubs

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

oldskool posted:

Worst board game experience, playing Risk

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
Oh, man. I love playing Risk.

My worst has to be playing Balderdash as a kid. I was not a clever boy.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

No story, sad

Also no skill at Risk, sad

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

oldskool posted:

Worst board game experience, playing Risk with some friends of mine: One friend's new girlfriend immediately made a coalition with him to wipe out the rest of us, stabbed him in the back & eliminated him when it was down to three because the third person was the only other female in the group and "lol girl power", and then pitched a fit when she proceeded to lose because 2/3 of her forces got wiped out taking out her boyfriend.

They're still together & thinking about having kids :negative:

It's not a real relationship until you create a massive board-gaming-related horror story.

GLORY TO ROME MOTHERFUCKER

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

GLORY TO ROME MOTHERFUCKER

So, the story here.

Glory to Rome is a non-collectible card game where each player is a Roman politician whose job it is to build things and make cash and generally rebuild Rome after Nero fiddles. One of the mechanics of the game, and the key to this story, is that the game ends immediately when the draw deck is emptied.

Immediately.

Another is that I find it a frustrating and obtuse game. The first (and only) time we played this game was with two of our friends, at their place. Anti was doing fairly well. I was not. I was, in fact, either not understanding how to reasonably begin digging myself out of the massive hole I found myself in or just drawing the worst bullshit. Every time I drew cards, it seemed that literally none of them were useful or even playable. At this point I began to----at first in desperation, later in pique---use the vomitoriums I built to dump cards from my hand to the discard pile every turn, drawing back as many as I dumped. I ended up drawing the deck dry literally the turn before Anti would have won the game with the cards already in her hand.

This was the root cause of probably the biggest fight we've had in our six-year relationship or in the decade we knew each other before said relationship.

"Glory to Rome" has thus basically become shorthand for us for any situation involving petty, mean-spirited fun-ruining.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

So, the story here.

Glory to Rome is a non-collectible card game where each player is a Roman politician whose job it is to build things and make cash and generally rebuild Rome after Nero fiddles. One of the mechanics of the game, and the key to this story, is that the game ends immediately when the draw deck is emptied.

Immediately.

Another is that I find it a frustrating and obtuse game. The first (and only) time we played this game was with two of our friends, at their place. Anti was doing fairly well. I was not. I was, in fact, either not understanding how to reasonably begin digging myself out of the massive hole I found myself in or just drawing the worst bullshit. Every time I drew cards, it seemed that literally none of them were useful or even playable. At this point I began to----at first in desperation, later in pique---use the vomitoriums I built to dump cards from my hand to the discard pile every turn, drawing back as many as I dumped. I ended up drawing the deck dry literally the turn before Anti would have won the game with the cards already in her hand.

This was the root cause of probably the biggest fight we've had in our six-year relationship or in the decade we knew each other before said relationship.

"Glory to Rome" has thus basically become shorthand for us for any situation involving petty, mean-spirited fun-ruining.

This sounds like a disturbing number of gaming stories that I could relate, though few that actually involve me, which is why I went with having to shotgun cans of cheap and terrible beer for my entry.

There's a game called Prince of the City, which is basically a White Wolf Vampire:the Masquerade Boardgame - in effect, you're a vampire trying to be Top Vampire in a city. It is the only board game I have ever seen almost cause a literal fistfight between friends of mine. Like, one dude raised a fist and was stopped by a different dude before he could punch the third dude in the face. He... was not invited to future game nights.

This is why when the guy who hosts our regular gaming nights (the aforementioned almost-got-punched-in-the-face-guy) suggests playing Diplomacy I shout NO as loud as I can.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

This is why when the guy who hosts our regular gaming nights (the aforementioned almost-got-punched-in-the-face-guy) suggests playing Diplomacy I shout NO as loud as I can.

Diplomacy seems like such a good idea until you actually start playing.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Some of the most fun LP threads were the spate of Diplomacy games that goons were playing some years back, complete with refereed gray press, peanut gallery commenting, and poo poo-talking. The quote that particularly stands out in my memory was "Okay, now that I'm convoying his army, do I have to drop it off where I said I would?"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Some of the most fun LP threads were the spate of Diplomacy games that goons were playing some years back, complete with refereed gray press, peanut gallery commenting, and poo poo-talking. The quote that particularly stands out in my memory was "Okay, now that I'm convoying his army, do I have to drop it off where I said I would?"

I played in one goon Diplomacy game and decided 'never again,' because holy poo poo.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

I played in one goon Diplomacy game and decided 'never again,' because holy poo poo.

Oh yeah, I'm sure they were a nightmare to play leave alone run, but they were entertaining as all hell.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Last Easter I decides to drag out me old giant board game book with built-in electronic dice roller thingy to play with my younger cousin. It had been are an absolute minimum 13 years since I had played it and the batteries were dead. Not to worry, I have plenty of dice, at my apartment and I was at my parent's house. I did have one full polyhedral set of 5mm dice, each smaller than a pencil eraser. I grabbed the d6 and the d12 as there was a mechanic in sometimes you pressed the different button to add either red or green to the roll. We went with if you needed a color 1-6 was red, 7-12 was green and your final roll was roll-6. What followed was about an hour of: roll die, get real close look at die to see what was rolled, struggle with subtraction, use wrong color, and try not to lose the die in the carpet, all while the rest of the family looked on. We eventually gave up and played Foosball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I think I played in that same game, and it motivated me to run my own a year later; if you think playing is bad, good lord is running out ten times worse.

• Locked thread