Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

oh holy gently caress

e: i'm the hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Also I see there is no Rosemary rule this time.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

Rosemary's appearance fees are also very reasonable, although there is travel reimbursement to consider. And also the meeping.

the constant, constant meeping

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Podima posted:

Rule 4a is bullshit. Gimme Team Battleship.

House rules are garbage for garbage people

Money on Free Parking actually prolongs the game by keeping money circulating in the system longer.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

bowmore posted:

why the gently caress would you want to prolong monopoly?

Nobody does, it's a reaction to the inherent cruelty of the game. The philosophy is like "oh everyone gets ground down over the course of the game, it feels like we only ever lose money, maybe we'll be nice and put this mechanism in to give people money back" when all that does is make it take longer for people to go bankrupt. If you want Monopoly to go faster, you want people to lose more quickly. It's not a game about winning, it's a game about failing to fail for the longest period of time.

Actually, I wonder how Pay Day holds up since it's no longer the 70s

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

bowmore posted:

i actually had fun playing the modern version of pay day

idk why, but it was silly and required almost no choices

From what I'm reading on BGG, the modern version makes it so there's basically no chance you'll ever run out of money, which basically defeats the purpose of the game.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

bowmore posted:

they changed it to whoever gets the most money wins, which in modern capitalist society is pretty accurate

I thought that was what it was already.

tbf, I haven't played it since approximately 1991.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

denominations of pounds and different street names, if memory serves

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

We are halfway to a complete roster, unless I missed someone.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CirclMastr posted:

Allen Wren I don't know how you made the pieces for Candyland but these ones are going to probably look like poo poo.

Ingredients:

Polymer clay (Sculpey brand), one packet per team color
bamboo apple skewers, one package
printouts of avs on heavy (60 lb) paper
glue

Procedure:

Cut clay into cubes of approximately equal size.
Clip points off of skewers, leaving two blunt ends.
Push clipped end of skewer into cubes, remove.
Bake cubes per clay package instructions, let cool.
Reinsert skewers into cubes. Best results obtained when skewers are reinserted into the holes they made originally.
Cut out printout of screenshot avs into individual rectangles. Glue avs to tops of skewers. Some heavier glues will soak through the paper, marring the appearance of the av. For best results, you may wish to glue a second copy of the av to the original with a lighter glue at the paper-paper bond.
Let dry.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Over here at team hat, we're not fighters, we're lovers. We believe in the finer things in life. We're here to ride high, taste the finest wines and make it rain bills in every room.

So clearly our theme tune is Joe Cocker doing ♫ YOU CAN LEEEEEAVE YOUR HAT ON ♫

TheNabster posted:

I'm not on there I'm on the much superior and less scruffy Whitechapel Road thanks to my patented Brexicles™.

So you're murdering prostitutes in your spare time? Well done you.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I don't want to be a downer, but at the rate we're going, I wonder if we're going to be losing enough money to actually make the game move at a reasonable pace, especially since we still each gain $200 per lap. We may want to consider something like the rents go up one step (or houses begin to be randomly distributed) after X number of laps. Like, I'm currently lagging behind mathematically because I got taxed, but with a few lucky dice rolls (boxcars and then double deuces or a nine followed by a three and a four or a seven), I'll still come out having profited this lap.

Also, when I get some time tomorrow afternoon, I'm going to learn that loving song and at least play a lovely, underrehearsed cover of it. Thankfully (?) my band is broken up, so I don't have to call them in to be like "we're covering Joe Cocker for an internet board game."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

tbf, the last lineup of my band was 3/4 goons and 1/4 probably actually likes joe cocker

e: I don't DISlike joe cocker, but he's got better songs.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 15, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I suspect raising all properties an entire rent tier at once might be too aggressive. Maybe after each lap of the rabbit or tortoise a random number of houses are added to random properties? They'd eventually begin stacking into hotels, presumably. You may want to do some math behind the scenes---I don't actually have a copy of Monopoly.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

PBS Newshour posted:

oh this started

is there a challenge or something i can half rear end here

So lazy you can't read two and a half pages. Amazing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

bowmore posted:

who owns what properties?

The free market owns them all. We just lose money as we go.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Look at this post

look at it

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

first pbs now bowmore

can't be bothered to read two pages and change

smh

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

PBS Newshour posted:

what did bowmore do?

the same thing you do

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

precisely

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

you seem to be kinda phallicly fixated

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

JakeP posted:

homophobe

nah

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The best I've got is probably the game of Mage in college that ended up breaking up my gaming group for a while. Early on in the very first session, we were faced with some sort of basic decision about what to do next. One PC suggests going to location A to investigate the local weirdness. One PC suggests checking out location B. The rest of the group agrees with the guy who said A.

The guy who said B immediately swears blood vendetta against the rest of the group, and, being fairly uncreative and a Virtual Adept (but I repeat myself) decided the best way to do this was to teleport away (VAs, for those not up on their mid-90s sweary gamebooks, specialize in distorting space and zapping things from place to place with computers) to some place in the desert, get out his rocket launcher, fire the rocket into a gate in space-time whose other end would open up immediately behind (he was very insistent it would be behind them where they weren't looking) the other PCs, killing them all in a single stroke.

Things generally dissolved at that point.

Also gently caress yes, putting on my Opera Hat. Team Hat knows how to make everyone else pay for tickets.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Oh wow, board game. I can't read. Go me.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Really, I believe I've already posted about my worst board game experience:

Allen Wren posted:

Move 28-???

This will be the final game post of Twenty Player poo poo-Talking Candy Land.

I'm not going to talk much about what moves were actually made, though the complete rundown will be available in this post.

You'll see in my notes that I originally added in a lot of color commentary about what I was going to say about each move, "oh, that was close" or "stuck in yet another pile of gumdrops I see, Birdstrike" and so on.

And then I started noticing how long it was taking. And I realized that there were some fundamental flaws going on here.

(I've highlighted interesting bits in the notes, which, for the most part are players one square away from finishing getting dumped back to Plumpy or similar.)

Moves 28-37

Tommunist finishes on 29, Acebuckeye one turn later. At this point, I think, I'm on a roll!

Moves 38-43

Gummy almost show solidarity (the last blue card in the deck got dealt to Birdstrike that turn.)

Moves 44-49

The second of at least ten instances where a player on the last possible space draws a character card, and I doodle a possible rule idea.

I think this is from about here.

Moves 50-55

JakeP finishes on Move 50, CPig and Chaoslord within the next three turns, and it looks like Gummy may have a say in this after all.

Here's the table just after Move 52.

Moves 56-61

PBS finishes on Move 57 and it looks like Gummy is going to turn the tables...except Infinitum drew Mint back on 52 and won't be a factor for a bit.

In the meantime, things start getting nuts, with Lollipop threatening to win the whole shebang.

But of course Podima gets Plumpied and DJW drops into the Ice Cream Sea.

Moves 62-68

Disaster strikes Mint, just as they look to be sealing a comeback. RF and Idiot get Plumpied and Jollied while Birdstrike remains stuck somewhere (which was a running theme of the entire night, as the constant stream of "Bird still stuck" notes would indicate)

Also, you should listen to the albums I had on while I was doing this, it's good.

PLAYLIST:
Marissa Nadler - Strangers
Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV
Kraftwerk - Ralf und Florian
This classical record
Manzanera - K-Scope
Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus (live)

I believe this was taken around turn 62. Oddly, there's literally no one on the left half of the board.

Moves 69-75

Whenever you see a negative number in parenthesis, that's how short the player was from the final square when they got taken out by a wandering Jolly or what-have-you. On the 73rd turn, Podima finishes the game, meaning that both Lollipop and Gummy are one away from taking the title of best team.

Moves 76-87

Notes are definitely becoming less verbose now, and I'm doing all I can to minimize the writing. Unfortunately, the writing helps keep me focused, and prevents me from losing track of whose turn is where, so it needs to continue on some level.

After Move 81 and I'm definitely a bit fried. But I'm the one who decided to do this, so...

Either way, three turns later, djw crosses the line, bringing all of Lollipop home.

But we're not done, I guess?

Moves 88-99

Bird gets stuck in the gumdrops for something like the third time (not counting the once or twice he got lost in the forest or stuck in the swamp.) RF finishes up on turn 94.

Moves 100-118

At this point, things start getting a little bullshit. I tell myself, if we're not out of here in another 50 moves, the rules have gotta be hosed with. Also, Maigius gets the Queen Frostine card twice in a row, so they don't move the second time, since they're already there. It's starting to get a little Weird.

Moves 119-143

Things are getting so bullshit that Bird gets four moves away from Jolly then draws him again.

Moves 144-165

So, the new rule. From turn 150 on, each player can only be affected by a particular character card once. If it shows up again for them, they draw again. Should have thought of this 100+ turns ago. Birdstrike gets the gently caress out of Dodge come turn 158. The new rule first kicks in six turns later.

Moves 166-185

Final Rankings:

1. Li Dawny
2. CirclMastr
3. DivineCoffeeBinge
4. bowmore
5. Absurd Revolver
6. Tommunist
7. Acebuckeye13
8. JakeP
9. CapitalistPig
10. chaoslord
11. PBS Newshour
12. oldskool
13. Podima
14. djw175
15. Retro Futurist
16. Solis
17. Infinitum
18. Birdstrike
19. Maigius

and...ladies and gentlemen, your 2016 Candy Land Mr. Irrelevant:

20. AnAnonymousIdiot

Once again, congratulations to Li Dawny and Team Lollipop for winning in stunning fashion.

Thank you for playing Twenty Player poo poo-Talking Candy Land.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

PBS Newshour posted:

HOW QUICKLY THE TABLES HAVE TURN

says the person who posted about fiasco which does not have a board

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

quote:

catan

quote:

proper board game

whatever you say pal

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

GLORY TO ROME MOTHERFUCKER

So, the story here.

Glory to Rome is a non-collectible card game where each player is a Roman politician whose job it is to build things and make cash and generally rebuild Rome after Nero fiddles. One of the mechanics of the game, and the key to this story, is that the game ends immediately when the draw deck is emptied.

Immediately.

Another is that I find it a frustrating and obtuse game. The first (and only) time we played this game was with two of our friends, at their place. Anti was doing fairly well. I was not. I was, in fact, either not understanding how to reasonably begin digging myself out of the massive hole I found myself in or just drawing the worst bullshit. Every time I drew cards, it seemed that literally none of them were useful or even playable. At this point I began to----at first in desperation, later in pique---use the vomitoriums I built to dump cards from my hand to the discard pile every turn, drawing back as many as I dumped. I ended up drawing the deck dry literally the turn before Anti would have won the game with the cards already in her hand.

This was the root cause of probably the biggest fight we've had in our six-year relationship or in the decade we knew each other before said relationship.

"Glory to Rome" has thus basically become shorthand for us for any situation involving petty, mean-spirited fun-ruining.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

...I think as a group, we are actually making money at net at this point.

THIS ISN'T SUPPOSED TO WORK LIKE THIS

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

We, as a group, have an average of $1598.88 per person.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CirclMastr posted:

Seriously I should just start over and say no money for passing Go get hosed.

I think making cash on Go is fine, but we do need to either at least have double rent for monopolies and/or houses need to start being built.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yes, obviously. We've discussed methods of increasing the rate of loss.

Here's my suggestion of how to start adding houses, though, given the number of players on the board, it may push the game into a starvation scenario, where hotels are unable to be built due to a lack of houses. But whatever.

Basically, starting with everyone's next crossing of Go (from the point of view that the three players on Go have crossed it and PBS and berenzen are the closest to crossing) whenever they land on an improvable property, they improve it for whoever lands on it later down the line. If two people land on a property in a turn, two houses are added (but they only pay the pre-that-turn's-improvement rate). This way, properties more likely to be landed on are also more likely to become more dangerous, instead of a random number generator perversely adding houses to Baltic when no-one's landing there.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

##joker

Let's get some action happening.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

...well, now I feel like a jerk. :smith:

wow way to talk about jerkin' when he can't because his shoulder

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

##joker, please. I am rather done with lurking around the most expensive stretch (by die frequency) of the board.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

##joker. Again. Because I see Allen Wren creeping up on the Big Expensive Properties and let's see if we can get him past them and also past Go.

I mean, gently caress it, we have the things, no sense not using 'em.

Yes. Let us cruise on into the night, let these peasants toil down these dark streets.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Club Fed lets you avoid the real work.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I totally forgot about the challenge. I don't actually have a hat, though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hey, Candy Land was my thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

15 turns and I'm still in the black. get hosed inferior capitalist scum

• Locked thread