Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I want to be on Team Hat

We will crush all who stand before us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

berenzen posted:

With what? Your loose and floppy brim?

Yes.

And our brims will be glorious and sturdy as befits hats of such magnanimity and grace as to partake in this most noble of capitalistic endeavors.

P.S. I don't have to take any guff from an obsolete naval doctrine, you

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

American. Although I am not familiar with the difference between the two.

In British Monopoly you get paid in potatoes and players who go bankrupt are transported to Australia.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

Over here at team hat, we're not fighters, we're lovers. We believe in the finer things in life. We're here to ride high, taste the finest wines and make it rain bills in every room.

So clearly our theme tune is Joe Cocker doing ♫ YOU CAN LEEEEEAVE YOUR HAT ON ♫

This is vastly better than any of the ideas I thought of. Allen Wren knows what's up.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

I suspect raising all properties an entire rent tier at once might be too aggressive. Maybe after each lap of the rabbit or tortoise a random number of houses are added to random properties? They'd eventually begin stacking into hotels, presumably. You may want to do some math behind the scenes---I don't actually have a copy of Monopoly.

Hmm. There's 28 total properties. If we assign numbers 1-22 to each individual property, 23-26 to the railroads, and 27 and 28 to the electric company and water works respectively, then after every lap - whichever person we decide to use for counting laps - or when X number of turns has passed, go to orokos or random.org or whatever and get your random number(s), 1-28.

If either 27 or 28 are rolled, the Water Works and Electric Company are assumed to be owned by the same person and the rent on those properties increases as normal (and numbers 27 and 28 are removed from the pool). Each time a railroad is rolled the number of 'owned railroads,' and thus the rent for all railroads, increases by one (and the number of 'railroad rolls' decreases). Each time a normal property is rolled, a house is added to that property.

I think I'd suggest using turn numbers as the increment, simply because if the rabbit or tortoise or whoever else gets thrown into jail, that's potentially three turns added to the "when the houses come in" timer, which could draw the game out a lot more than it has to. On the other hand, though, if there's one person who gets to be responsible for making houses go up then it's more reason for the rest of us to talk poo poo about that person, so there's that, too.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ron Roenicke posted:

You know you're supposed to wear shoes so you can step on things with them, right?

In case words aren't your thing (getting that vibe), here's a picture:

Ron Roenicke confirmed as crush video enthusiast

hosed up if true

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

bowmore posted:

who owns what properties?

Look at this post

look at it

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

PBS Newshour posted:

look, i got a 100 percent in reading on my ACT

And then swore never to do it again?

You are terrible PBS Newshour

Just terrible

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

PBS Newshour posted:

I take an issue with that.

TERRIBLE

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

you seem to be kinda phallicly fixated

Makes sense for a dude on Team Thimble

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

My worst board game experience (rather than the worst tabletop game experience which is a whole other beast) is actually about Monopoly!

Well, sort of. It was college, so it was Beeropoly.

The rules were quite simple; round all dollar amounts up to the next hundred, each hundred dollars equals one drink, each can of beer (Genessee Cream Ale - it was cheap, what do you want) contains ten drinks. If you have to pay money to the bank (or anyone else)? Drink that many drinks. If you get money, such as for passing Go? Tell someone else to drink that many drinks. If you're in jail? There's no beer allowed in jail, so you have three turns to finish your can of beer. If you fail, you are given a fresh can of beer, and have three turns to finish that can (plus whatever was left of the first can).

It was really quite fun up until the part where I spent nine consecutive turns in jail because the other players teamed up to run through their turns as rapidly as possible just to screw with me. Have you ever had to chug three cans of Genny Cream in quick succession? It is seriously awful. Like, ew.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Also Aafter is demonstrably the worst player of Monopoly right now he sucks so bad

Just like the rest of Team Shoe, they are loving awful

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

No story, sad

Also no skill at Risk, sad

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

So, the story here.

Glory to Rome is a non-collectible card game where each player is a Roman politician whose job it is to build things and make cash and generally rebuild Rome after Nero fiddles. One of the mechanics of the game, and the key to this story, is that the game ends immediately when the draw deck is emptied.

Immediately.

Another is that I find it a frustrating and obtuse game. The first (and only) time we played this game was with two of our friends, at their place. Anti was doing fairly well. I was not. I was, in fact, either not understanding how to reasonably begin digging myself out of the massive hole I found myself in or just drawing the worst bullshit. Every time I drew cards, it seemed that literally none of them were useful or even playable. At this point I began to----at first in desperation, later in pique---use the vomitoriums I built to dump cards from my hand to the discard pile every turn, drawing back as many as I dumped. I ended up drawing the deck dry literally the turn before Anti would have won the game with the cards already in her hand.

This was the root cause of probably the biggest fight we've had in our six-year relationship or in the decade we knew each other before said relationship.

"Glory to Rome" has thus basically become shorthand for us for any situation involving petty, mean-spirited fun-ruining.

This sounds like a disturbing number of gaming stories that I could relate, though few that actually involve me, which is why I went with having to shotgun cans of cheap and terrible beer for my entry.

There's a game called Prince of the City, which is basically a White Wolf Vampire:the Masquerade Boardgame - in effect, you're a vampire trying to be Top Vampire in a city. It is the only board game I have ever seen almost cause a literal fistfight between friends of mine. Like, one dude raised a fist and was stopped by a different dude before he could punch the third dude in the face. He... was not invited to future game nights.

This is why when the guy who hosts our regular gaming nights (the aforementioned almost-got-punched-in-the-face-guy) suggests playing Diplomacy I shout NO as loud as I can.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Some of the most fun LP threads were the spate of Diplomacy games that goons were playing some years back, complete with refereed gray press, peanut gallery commenting, and poo poo-talking. The quote that particularly stands out in my memory was "Okay, now that I'm convoying his army, do I have to drop it off where I said I would?"

I played in one goon Diplomacy game and decided 'never again,' because holy poo poo.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

oldskool posted:

I think I played in that same game, and it motivated me to run my own a year later; if you think playing is bad, good lord is running out ten times worse.

It's possible! All I honestly remember of it was getting backstabbed by Turkey very early on and looking at my situation and deciding 'welp, winning is basically out of the question, I'm just gonna grudge-gently caress the Ottomans out of spite,' having the game go on for ages, having someone propose a draw and it getting shot down by Turkey, who was mad that I would not be destroyed for grudge-loving him.

So then I said "you know, I think maybe Diplomacy is not the game for me."

I can't even imagine the amount of bullshit you'd have to deal with actually running a game of it, good lord

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Pez posted:

I posted a board game story WHY DO YOU HATE SHOES

Shoes < Hats

I mean, that poo poo is just science, dude

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Pez posted:

Good luck killing a spider with a hat

I have killed a spider with a hat

Also your hopes and dreams for future success

the spider was tougher

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

Wow I somehow missed this, sorry. Free joker to compensate, seriously my bad.

Update incoming though.

Honestly I don't know how I didn't see it.

I didn't know we'd be spending as much time poo poo-talking the game runner as the other players. :argh:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

In my defense, I found out today I need shoulder surgery, so I've been slightly distracted.

...well, now I feel like a jerk. :smith:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

wow way to talk about jerkin' when he can't because his shoulder

He has another hand

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

look trains are cool okay

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

##joker. Again. Because I see Allen Wren creeping up on the Big Expensive Properties and let's see if we can get him past them and also past Go.

I mean, gently caress it, we have the things, no sense not using 'em.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I would brag too but only six players are in the red.

Those six players must be so bad. Holy poo poo.

Can you even imagine what it must be like to be JakeP right now? Man.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

I prefer not to imagine being JakeP

Judging by his posting, neither does JakeP

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Pez posted:

I'm not ignoring your challenge, but man you don't want to hear me sing

Same.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Aafter posted:

I'm winning.

So you're quitting? Is this like EVE?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Maigius posted:

##Joker let's try to get bast green and blue without too much loss.

Hey, can we use one of our jokers to cancel out another team's joker? Just to be dicks? Asking for a friend.

The friend is me I have no friends

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

In thinking on it a bit more, it occurs to me that if we allow Nega-Jokers it will inevitably lead to people hoarding their jokers so as to be able to gently caress over other people. But on the other hand it might also encourage more people to participate in Joker Challenges so they can be well-stocked. So there's arguments either way.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Dang, I meant to get in on that Joker Challenge, too. Stupid visit to in-laws.

Props to berenzen for still hanging in there. Somehow.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yeah, you were somebody on the inside

you're like the old librarian dude in Shawshank

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Man that DBS guy is hosed

whoever he is

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

Sorry about that. I'm not sure whether it was from PBS Newshour, or the fact that I play NetRunner and a popular card is abbreviated DBS. Either way, it's clearly the fault of all of you for not participating in Joker challenges.

I figured it was a PBS Newshour mixup, and honestly was only teasing. :D

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

oldskool posted:

Nobody ever messes up my name

because nobody cares about you

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

"Please, sir," the thin, reedy voice reached me. It was a cold October day, and the wind had a bite to it; even in my hurry, though, I had to stop to listen. "We need some help," such a pitiful sound. "Can you spare any change?"

A pitiful sight, too; the three of them were huddled together for warmth, a tattered blanket wrapped around them, their features black with soot and grease from the oily trash can fire they'd been using to try to keep warm... a fire which had guttered out long before, much like their hopes and dreams. "Perhaps," I replied, brushing a stray speck of dirt from my coat. "But first you must promise not to get any closer than that, because you smell like hammered dogshit. And second, you must tell me how you came to be in such a pitiful state."

"Half of my posts in the thread were about requesting fellatio," JakeP muttered, shamefully. "The only actual poo poo-talking I did was to call someone a homophobe after they called me out on it."

"After promising to be more active here than I ever was for Candy Land I made only four posts," confessed Maigius, tears running down his cheeks. "Once I talked about how I failed at playing a game at Easter and it made me the most prolific poster on my entire no-effort no-hope team."

Chaoslord glared at the ground, remaining silent, as ever he had since signups.

I reached into my pocket, shaking my head sadly. "This is what it's come to, has it? The once-proud Team Thimble, fallen so far?"

"Proud my rear end," JakeP growled. "Fuckin' chaos dunk over here doesn't do poo poo. He's lucky we can huddle with him for warmth, or we'd've eaten him already." He paused. "When we do," he told Maigius suddenly, almost angrily, "I call dibs on his dick." Maigius tried to flee, but could not unentangle himself from the blanket.

"Perhaps you would have stayed warmer," I told the wretches, dropping some coins on the sidewalk, "had you been wise enough to invest in a hat." The sounds of the trio scrabbling after the pitiful few cents cheered me immensely. Pulling down the brim of my top hat and whistling a jaunty tune, I made a note to raise the rents on my properties once again. What a beautiful day to be a capitalist.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

##Joker

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

##Joker

C'mon, Go To Jail!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkepW2JEm24

Sweet, sweet victory!

UnCO3, Allen Wren, know that you were the best teammates for a game where we had virtually no control over the outcome or strategic decisions to make that a guy could ask for.

Everyone else, you shoulda picked Hat.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Also thank you to CirclMastr for continuing to run this game all the way to the bitter end despite pretty clearly running out of giveashit about halfway through because only like three players actually managed to participate and poo poo. Well done, sir!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

Also, I am working on the follow-up to Candy Land, and it should be ready to run next month or so, barring disasters.

Dibs

• Locked thread