Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
Take care when filling out german documents. Someone linked me the story yesterday and I couldn't belive it at first, but it appears this really happened somehow. Looks like our german bureaucracy can finally really make people disappear.

quote:

A Chinese tourist who tried to report a stolen wallet during a visit to Germany unwittingly signed an application that got him stranded as a refugee for two weeks in the country’s burgeoning asylum bureaucracy.

After being robbed in Heidelberg, the man went to the town hall, which he thought was a police station, where he signed an asylum application. He was then taken 220 miles (360km) to a refugee shelter in Dülmen and given food and spending money like other refugees. “He simply did what he was told,” Schlütermann said.

The man was fingerprinted and given a medical exam, but drew the attention of staff partly because he was well dressed. “But he [also] acted so differently to other refugees,” said Schlütermann. “He kept trying to talk to people to tell his story but no one could understand him. He kept asking to get his passport back, which is the opposite of what most refugees do.”

He said Europe was not what he had expected,” said Schlütermann, adding that the man was happy to leave but not upset.

Source:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/08/chinese-tourist-who-lost-wallet-in-germany-ends-up-in-refugee-shelter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
The man had a ... purse? Also maybe he went to the refugee camp to get his stolen purse back. We will never know since nobody could understand him.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

there was two threads about this when it happened and you are a gay lord focker

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
Why would you travel to germany if you cant understand german or english. That would suck.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Indy posted:

Why would you travel to germany if you cant understand german or english. That would suck.

WHORES

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Chinese tourists are the worst, and I enjoy when they get owned.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Farmland Park posted:

this

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
ME CHINESE ME PLAY JO-- wait that doesn't work here

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

He just did what he was told? You know who else did that? [insert some sort of nazi joke here]

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

he sounds pretty chill. he wasn't even mad. he just wanted his purse back.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Lol

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

i wonder how many times he got led into a room thinking "this is where i will get my purse back" only to find more confused german officials

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
they didnt bother to ask why someone from China was seeking asylum in Germany?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
drat im going to Germany for vacation, it sounds like i can put my passport into a locker and get free hotel/money

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
he is going to feel really silly when he gets home and his purse is on the kitchen counter

Woden
May 6, 2006

Rutibex posted:

You can self identify as Syrian you know :rolleyes:

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Farmland Park posted:

The only valid response to this news

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Germany is so desperate for refugees they will force it on you....make sure you tick the tiny "opt out" box if you like your own country.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Rutibex posted:

Why wouldn't someone try to escape China if they could?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He knew they were serious when they gave him his new muslim name and german papers

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
That's my purse, I don't know you

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

blugu64 posted:

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
This wouldn't have happened if we all spoke Chinese.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

blugu64 posted:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Wait, if I sign the dotted line I get free food, lodging, AND get paid?

"Ich bin aus Deutschland, ich---"

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
isnt it murse

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hogge Wild posted:

isnt it murse

european carry all

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
If this was a movie id walk out of it because it was so loving stupid.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
At first he probably thought that he just had been transported to a shelter for people who lost their purses and that he is fed and given an allowance while the police is on the hunt for his purse.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Merkel's open door policy has really gone too far

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I think we haven't quite woken up to the fact that we have the technology to make passable machine translations from most languages now. There's a refugee family in my building who don't speak English and don't know Finnish yet. The woman had some smartphone app and sure enough you spoke Finnish into it and it spat out completely understandable Arabic and vice versa.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Elukka posted:

I think we haven't quite woken up to the fact that we have the technology to make passable machine translations from most languages now. There's a refugee family in my building who don't speak English and don't know Finnish yet. The woman had some smartphone app and sure enough you spoke Finnish into it and it spat out completely understandable Arabic and vice versa.

it doesnt work all that good for chinese

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

demonicon posted:

Take care when filling out german documents. Someone linked me the story yesterday and I couldn't belive it at first, but it appears this really happened somehow. Looks like our german bureaucracy can finally really make people disappear.

lol if you are surprised by any of this at all

Rutibex posted:

well if he has no passport or ID how would they know? pretty racist of you to assume an Asian is from China! :v:

don't tell me he could have just told them he needs to fill it out on ze form!

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

Elukka posted:

On the other hand if no one had found out by now he would probably be sitting in a mandatory German language course right now, desperately trying to find out how to say "I don't want my purse anymore" in German.

So in a few months he would have solved the problem without any technology

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Hogge Wild posted:

isnt it murse

murse is a male nurse :confused:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

This man has one if life's biggest secrets figured out: when you are on a vacation abroad, always go with the flow.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Germans were just trying to provide him an experience that felt like home.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
looks like they gave him the wong form

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

psychokitty posted:

murse is a male nurse :confused:

whaaat...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
He sounds like an agreeable fellow, I wouldn't be too hasty to give him back if I were Germany.

• Locked thread