Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Problem description: Yesterday during use my PC turned off. This has happened before and can usually be fixed by switching the PSU off, waiting a minute and switching it on again. This time it didn't work. Now the PC is dead - when I attempt to turn it on the case lights light up very briefly but that's it.

Attempted fixes: I assumed it was the PSU, so I got a replacement. Nothing changes. It's not the PSU. I've disconnected everything but the mainboard, pretty much, took out / reseated RAM, took out the graphics card and disconnected the drives. I attempted to run just the bare minimum via integrated graphics, but nothing happens. After turning the power back on, the CPU fan turns very briefly and the little light on the mainboard comes to life, but the fan dies down. The light stays on until I disconnect power to the PSU.

Recent changes: No.

--

Operating system: Windows 7

System specs: AMD FX-Series FX-8120 Turbo 8 x 4000 MHz, 12 GB DDR3 PC-1333, Asus M5A78L-M/USB3, Geforce GTX 960.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

Tell me how hosed I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The motherboard has probably failed.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Alereon posted:

The motherboard has probably failed.

That's what I was afraid of. I've kept testing different stuff (both PSUs pass paper clip test) and one thing I've noticed is that when I unplug the 4pin that powers the CPU and turn on the system, the CPU fan starts, but with the 4pin in place it does its usual 2 rotations and dies. Google says even bad boards will usually power the fan so this doesn't rule out a bad board, is that correct?

edit: I am also getting nothing from the board speaker, RAM in or not, CPU connected or not.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Try removing the board from the case and setting it on a flat, non-conductive surface, like a box. With only the CPU, one stick of RAM, power, and a monitor connected to onboard video, try powering it on. If it won't power up, clear the CMOS via the jumper/switch on the board, then try again. If it still doesn't work, try a different stick of RAM. If no joy, the motherboard is dead. If you have to buy a new motherboard, just get an Intel motherboard and CPU, you can get a board that uses the same RAM, then at least you're not throwing good money after bad.

Just to check though, you're using a good power supply right? If you bought some generic $20 power supply then it not working doesn't really tell you much.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I'll have to google how to do half of that, but alright. Can't really afford to upgrade parts right now, so if the board is dead, the same model will have to do. The PSU isn't top of the line but not bottom drawer either. I've had issues with cheap PSUs in the past, I learned from those.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Just to be safe I changed the on-board battery, but that wasn't it either. Ordered a new board. Thanks for the help goons.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Jesus Christ this poo poo just keeps on giving. Got the replacement motherboard, wanted to install it. While removing the CPU, I've noticed that the company that built the rig has pretty much hardglued the processor to the heat sink. I have no idea how to remove it. Also some of the pins on the bottom side of the processor are bent, likely from removing it along with the heat sink. So now I'm looking at a replacement processor and heat sink as well. I want to get off Mr. Bones wild ride.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
The thermal interface material softens when warm, so usually you let the system run for a bit to soften it before removing. At this point I'd point a blow dryer into the heatsink to warm it up and then use a razor blade to pop the CPU off. Try bending the pins back with a credit card or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
the ride never ends

• Locked thread