Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
dont blow the diphenhydramine lid OP, you wont like how they react

A Tasteful Nude posted:

I thought everyone in the western world was just prescribed Xanax now, for the ennui?

ambien, much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

extra stout posted:

anyone mind posting how often they can take benadryl before they become immune to it? i used it as a sleep aid for a week and by like day 6 i wasn't sleeping

seems like for it to be effective you can use it maybe 3-4 times a month

Its highly erratic and frankly not a great sleep aid. Tolerance builds very quickly (plenty take it every day during the day for allergies).

Unfortunately all sleep aids eventually stop working so well, but there are many that are highly consistent. However they are prescription and/or deadly and/or harmful to day to day life. Some are actually better for you than benadryl too though.

My reccomendation after literally a lifetime of insomnia is get a script for Ambien. Use as needed. The long term side effects are essentially nil (particularly compared with most other things ) as well if that's in the cards. Its not for everybody, but if you're capable of taking a pill to sleep and actually going directly to bed you won't do stupid poo poo like run naked through a Wal Mart or whatever.

Anything "stronger" than that has bad side effects and anything not prescription has a buttload of other issues. Weed is the most obvious answer for a lot of people but , eh, I can't smoke weed every night to sleep and expect to be 100% the next day.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

extra stout posted:

i worry about ambien only because though it's technically not a benzo, it still works via GABA receptors and they actually use the same drug to save you if you OD on ambien as they do for any benzo overdose, so if i had to guess without enough data to actually prove it: it still probably long term makes people depressed, makes it so your REM sleep suffers, and leads to dementia. just an educated guess though. i am curious how well ambien would work for sleep or anxiety for someone already super tolerant to benzos though

In my experience its NOTHING like benzos in terms of negative short or long term effects. You can take Ambien every night for 6 months and stop immediately and not have a single withdrawal symptom outside of mentally worrying about sleeping.

I can't take benzos for more than a week before I actually feel the need for it.

It is a real, powerful medication for sure so some will be affected differently, but I've been on it for years. For example, I haven't taken it for a few days now after at least 2 months straight and haven't cared one bit. I'm not on any other medication however, don't know how it mixes with other drugs.

You do build tolerance, but frankly it is always effective even if you don't feel it anymore.

A-

• Locked thread