Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
can I be a train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.
wait, I have another question

I'm working with this guy, he's usually responsive but I left a message about an issue a few days ago and I haven't heard back, and there's a deadline coming up. How do I follow up without seeming like I'm nagging him?

Thanks

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
Do trans people tend to take up gender-typical hobbies from their transition gender?

Specifically, I'm wondering about those hobbies which aren't particularly "fun" because of their association with the gender itself. Like, fishing: it's not a sexy symbol of masculinity, and it's boring as hell to most women, but would FTM men take an interest in it? Do MTF women quilt and watch The View at a rate similar to from-birth females?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

DrowningInDreams posted:

(and then later had a voice in my head belonging to a dragon, who I interpret as my daemon)

I hold no criticism for your gender identity, however dragons can't be daemons, that's some sick bullshit and I will never accept it

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
Rewind for a sec:

DrowningInDreams posted:

It prevents my effective use of magick in many cases,

What kind of magick are we talking here?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

DrowningInDreams posted:

Chaos magick. Which I guess isn't an answer, technically, but mostly ritual magick is a lot harder for me. I can do sigils ok.

okay, lay it out for me like I'm a muggle idiot here, what can you do with sigils and chaos magick?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

DrowningInDreams posted:

I made someone appear in a chatroom twice when they weren't normally in that chatroom. I dunno, I just now started using the mantra method because the written sigil method wasn't working for me. Otherwise my big achievement is that I guess I did 15% better on an exam than I would have done otherwise? I got an 85%. And everything else has just been the invocation and conversation with my daemon, who at first was just there violently against my will, and then took a thought to summon, and then half a cigarette, and then an entire cigarette plus gnosis, and then that plus blood, and eventually just sort of disappeared (I tried to use a full summoning ritual to bring her back but it didn't work), but started appearing to me again in dreams and occasionally when awake. She helps me to do everything when she's around; to get out of bed, eat, shower, change and wash clothes, do homework (actually do it as well as start it), she plants thoughts in my head that are fruitful and guides me through challenges. I actually don't even care about magick generally as long as I have her, which I don't always, which is really upsetting.

Oh! And people generally like my tarot readings, even though all I do is enter a half-assed trance and draw the cards and then literally use the little booklet to interpret.

nice, sounds good

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
So, there's research supporting physiological differences in neuroanatomy for trans people, e.g. https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20032-transsexual-differences-caught-on-brain-scan/:

quote:

They found significant differences between male and female brains in four regions of white matter – and the female-to-male transsexual people had white matter in these regions that resembled a male brain (Journal of Psychiatric Research, DOI: 10.1016/j.jpsychires.2010.05.006). “It’s the first time it has been shown that the brains of female-to-male transsexual people are masculinised,” Guillamon says.

In a separate study, the team used the same technique to compare white matter in 18 male-to-female transsexual people with that in 19 males and 19 females. Surprisingly, in each transsexual person’s brain the structure of the white matter in the four regions was halfway between that of the males and females (Journal of Psychiatric Research, DOI: 10.1016/j.jpsychires.2010.11.007). “Their brains are not completely masculinised and not completely feminised, but they still feel female,” says Guillamon.

However, this seems to conflict with research mentioned elsewhere in the thread which says there's little difference between male and female brains. And I'm well aware that you can p-hack any answer you want out of a data set like this, if you want a p < 0.05 result and you've got 20+ brain regions to look at, well...

So is anyone up to speed on this topic? If we had perfect MRIs, could we predict transgenderism, or is it not a bodily phenomenon?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
If I'm writing a trans character, what would make him or her into someone you'd want to read about?

Of course, like any trait, it would be a part of the character, not the sole determiner of their personality, but beyond that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

don't post

• Locked thread