Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enemy Ace
Mar 14, 2006
"We stain the sky. We fight a war in heaven."
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II
Mobo: Asus Rampage V Extreme
CPU: I7-5930K @ 4.0
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
RAM: 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 @ 2667 13-13-13-32 1T 1.275v
GPU: 2x GTX 970 SLI
Storage: 2x500GB Samsung 840 EVO Raid0, 3x4TB Hgst IDK Deskstar
PSU: Corsair HX1000i PSU
Monitors: 1x 34" Acer X34 Predator, 2x 24" Dell U2412M
KB: Logitech G15v2
Mouse: Logitech G500s

It's downright beastly to play solitaire on this bad boy, I tell ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
intel 2600k crew where u @

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

TenementFunster posted:

CPU: i7-2600k @ 4.5GHz
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212
Mobo: MSI P67A
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB DDR3-1600
Storage: 1x 850 EVO 500GB, 1x 850 EVO 250GB, 1x 1TB HDD
GPU: Titan X Pascal :homebrew:
Monitor: Qnix 2650x1440 27"

Kind of an unbalanced system at this point but the 2600k still works well, will probably finally replace it next year.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

TenementFunster posted:

Yeah boy. I'm still rocking the 2600k I got for free because I worked on it.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
My 2600k has still never hit 60% capacity. Most games will get 2 or 3 cores running pretty good. A rare few will even use a fourth. I've never seen all the cores need to run at once. The geforce 660 is my bottleneck and it's the second graphics card I bought for this cpu/mobo. I payed a shitload for the combo cuz the i7s were newish then. 500 is a lot for a cpu/mobo to me. But totally worth it in this case. I'll have one of those 1080s at half the price a year or two from now before I need to start thinking about replacing the cpu, I'd bet.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

notZaar posted:

Yeah boy. I'm still rocking the 2600k I got for free because I worked on it.

i bought a used computer off of an internet ad because my computer died and i needed a cheap replacement. some guy was selling his grandpas old computer for $150 and he didnt even know what the specs were just listed it as a "Lenovo computer".

once i got it home and checked out the specs i found out it was like some top tier grandpa computer. the kind of thing you could get at Best Buy for $2000 a couple years ago (but why would you unless you were a grandpa who had no idea about computers?). like, it had a Intel i7-2600k and 8GB of RAM, but only a built in OEM graphics card :psyduck:

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
been reading through all your pc specs --- sorry you guys cant afford top of the line pro MLG gamer gear like I run when I hop online to frag n00bs in the cyber zone

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Rutibex posted:

i bought a used computer off of an internet ad because my computer died and i needed a cheap replacement. some guy was selling his grandpas old computer for $150 and he didnt even know what the specs were just listed it as a "Lenovo computer".

once i got it home and checked out the specs i found out it was like some top tier grandpa computer. the kind of thing you could get at Best Buy for $2000 a couple years ago (but why would you unless you were a grandpa who had no idea about computers?). like, it had a Intel i7-2600k and 8GB of RAM, but only a built in OEM graphics card :psyduck:

the built in OEM graphics card will probably run most of your games acceptably. add-on video cards are slowly becoming a niche product that you need for stuff like VR or pushing 3 4k displays, or other things the average dude doesn't do

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Igpus are still pretty sorry for any kind of 3D pretty game. But they're fine for most video applications.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nathilus posted:

Too many people have had their panties in a twist over vr since the 80s for it to just disappear.

:ssh: No there aren't.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

im too cool for computers, says an anime guy posting on a paid internet forum since 2007

somebody paid a hundred dollars for this avatar you little poo poo, show some goddamn respect for the spectrum

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

reallivedinosaur posted:

the built in OEM graphics card will probably run most of your games acceptably. add-on video cards are slowly becoming a niche product that you need for stuff like VR or pushing 3 4k displays, or other things the average dude doesn't do

oh yeah i have no had any problems playing any games on it. its great for emulating PS2 games and minecraft, which is CPU limited. i mostly play roguelikes anyway

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

i considered building a pc recently but i decided against it because spending several grand on an ugly noisy glorified console is dumb

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Wall Balls posted:

i considered building a pc recently but i decided against it because spending several grand on an ugly noisy glorified console is dumb

look at this motherfucker who don't know about noctua

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i have no idea what specs the library machines use, OP

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

my gaming pc

CPU: MOS 6510, 1MHz
Sound: SID 6581, 3 channels of sound
RAM: 64K
Display: 25 X 40 text, 320 X 200, 16 colors max
Ports: TV, RGB & composite video
2 joysticks, cartridge port
serial peripheral port

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Wall Balls posted:

Lol at "several thousand dollars"

My PC cost me approx $1200 CAD and it's not just a glorified console. But yeah I do play lots of vidja games, and it sure is nice to turn everything up to high and then maybe have to adjust AA and shadows before getting 60fps.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
made a bad board choice 7 years ago so the best CPU I can get is an AMD 1090T (it's got SIX CORES WHOOOAAAA!!!) and that is what I have

I pray that board dies sometimes so I have an excuse to get a new Intel chipset one

it keeps up well enough with the MSI GTX 970 though; I guess it's got a bit of overclocking headroom so I could try that

16 GB RAM and a 500 GB SSD

Originally built for 700 bucks with an HD5750 card and a 2.7 Ghz quad-core AMD processor with an HDD and 4Gb of RAM

Whole thing hasn't failed me yet, but I feel like I'm due

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

my gaming pc

CPU: MOS 6510, 1MHz
Sound: SID 6581, 3 channels of sound
RAM: 64K
Display: 25 X 40 text, 320 X 200, 16 colors max
Ports: TV, RGB & composite video
2 joysticks, cartridge port
serial peripheral port

Whoah, look at Mr Moneybags here. Arthur "Two Joysticks" Jackson.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
jeez, people, if you are afraid of being tricked into spending "several grand" (lol), just go to toms hardware and look up their optimized gaming pc setups for like $500 - 1000

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

jeez, people, if you are afraid of being tricked into spending "several grand" (lol), just go to toms hardware and look up their optimized gaming pc setups for like $500 - 1000

how bout you optimize my dick, capitan

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hth posted:

how bout you optimize my dick, capitan

Let's slap a water-cooling block and some LEDs on there - it'll be sweet.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Just get an i5 and a 1060 6GB. There. $500. Should probably be able to get everything else for another $500. I'm not counting monitors because gently caress you.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Selling my two 970's allowed me to buy a 1080. Playing Vive is great, and games like witcher 3 at 1440 with everything ultra including hair works, it stays around 70fps, great stuff.

drat thing has rgb lighting onboard!

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 19, 2016

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Enemy Ace posted:

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II
Mobo: Asus Rampage V Extreme
CPU: I7-5930K @ 4.0
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
RAM: 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 @ 2667 13-13-13-32 1T 1.275v
GPU: 2x GTX 970 SLI
Storage: 2x500GB Samsung 840 EVO Raid0, 3x4TB Hgst IDK Deskstar
PSU: Corsair HX1000i PSU
Monitors: 1x 34" Acer X34 Predator, 2x 24" Dell U2412M
KB: Logitech G15v2
Mouse: Logitech G500s

It's downright beastly to play solitaire on this bad boy, I tell ya
thats cute

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Germstore posted:

Just get an i5 and a 1060 6GB. There. $500. Should probably be able to get everything else for another $500. I'm not counting monitors because gently caress you.
thats cute

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

still using the same 2500k I got in 2011, it seems unlikely I'll need to upgrade before I have a hardware failure or something

finally upgraded the Radeon 6950 I got at the same time in November of last year, and it was really only necessary for The Witcher III, pretty good run for a GPU honestly

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The CPU fan on mine is failing; just keeps getting louder and louder

OH HEY BUDDY OPENING A WORD DOCUMENT HUH WHIRRRR

Think I'll replace the crappy stock 1090T heatsink at the same time

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

steinrokkan posted:

Optimally your system power consumption should be 50 - 60% of your PSU rating, but the efficiency of the supply can drop pretty drastically if you do that. So if Nvidia recommends 500W, you can run the card on something weaker, but it will lead to more heat, higher energy bills and probably reduced longevity on the PSU.

Crap. I'm screwed.

Forward Toward
Aug 14, 2015

No Tank You. not today tanks. Tank you very much.

TANK TANK TANK

VRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Rutibex posted:

for $55 you could just buy a used mini fridge on craigs list and put your entire PC in there. ultra cooling!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Victory Gin?! did i wake up in a dystopian nightmare world and not realize it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i have a really old macbook that i got as a hand-me-down from a friend's work. i use it to play farming simulator '15, but it's technically below the minimum specs so it periodically crashes and the game has no autosave so I always end up losing some progress

• Locked thread