Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

god no. the only thing worse than bash is probably perl.
look who forgot about cmd.exe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
people who need bash will find that bash is the sort of thing they need

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i really don't get all the bash hate, like it's the shells fault if you inherit crap admin scripts written by a idiot. in the linux distro dev world all kinds of coll things are implemented as bash scripts

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it got fixed, now what

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
text is great, it's auditable and semi-self-documenting as compared to binary line noise

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
on a relatd note, as of 2008 the Windows kernel was built with a combination of cmd scripts and nmake

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
doesn't that just obligate people to undermine the type constraints so that their scripts will be reusable

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

bash should be used to start processes and pipe their output to other things and nothing else
you say that as if it's a limitation

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
look if you really need some kind of complex structure you can make bash scripts that parse & generate json

something else that would be useful: a pair of tools that parses XML into xpath/value pairs for stream manipulation and then recomposes it

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 20, 2016

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
no wait, how about a tool that takes an XML file and spits it out into a corresponding directory structure. and vice versa

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

they cant undermine the type constraints

Captain Foo posted:

Powershell can natively parse json

lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
remember when all languages were going to be .NET languages?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I have a dream of a Linux distro where all command line tools except maybe "od" have been replaced w bash scripts

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Where were going we don't need code

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Symbolic Butt posted:

bash's codebase is an absolute shitshow, you can guess this by the kind of bugs that creep up sometimes and by how bad bash scripts are

I'm mostly fine by bash's uh... api? I mean, I'm not one of those hipsters who use zsh or some poo poo, but bash's codebase, much like a lot of gnu's early projects, is clearly rotten at this point
evidence? shellshock was a design issue, not a coding accident. in my experience bash just works

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

if bash was bad, why would amazon run 90% of AWS on pure bash scripts and cron jobs huh?
source? wanna read about this

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Celexi posted:

why did they remove the unix subsystem in first place
ballmer

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i never used it but it was created back when microsoft wanted to keep a unix on the desktop option ready just in case the market went that way. it certainly wasn't designed to embrace open sores

that didn't fit with ballmer's strategy (partly guided by the antitrust fiasco) of walling off microsoft's products from everything that wasn't microsoft

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i suspect that statement is supposed to be misleading but I'm curious about it too
as of 2009 amazon was still moving cron jobs in their warehouse operations to another batch system (and also moving ad hoc web sites into central portals). but i always assumed that saner heads prevailed in AWS. probably not though since every department is managed on the same principle of "drat the design, get it done yesterday"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

posix is total trash
it's OK for software that runs a business or shoots down planes, not so good for "electronic lifestyle" apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
IT devs in a resistance cell: "what has posix ever done for us???"

• Locked thread