Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
Since FF was originally cribbed from Squaresoft's in-house D&D games, I don't think it would be much of a stretch to adapt it back into the current edition of D&D. A few thoughts on the pitch:

For classes: I'm not too familiar with how 5E's classes are made, but I don't know if it's exactly critical to limit classes to similar ones in AD&D for thematic reasons (If you want to be a stickler, you can still limit them to similar ones found in FFIII (Japan) to keep the style of 8-bit Final Fantasy). What does "bonus points" mean in this case for those lists? Eldritch Knight seems like it would be perfect for how Red Mages work within FF1's mechanics. Paladin and Arcane Trickster all seem like builds which would work for representing the Knight and Ninja class upgrades.

Spells: A simpler way to limit spells would also be to create custom spell lists for each class that better matches the FF1 aesthetic. If you're going far enough to change how character progression works for the campaign, something to increase thematics would be to give each PC access to a short list of extra spells based around their elemental crystal. Whenever you'd light a crystal (defeated a Fiend), more spells would be unlocked for all PCs.

I would also get rid of the Class Change and do something else plot/mechanics-wise with the Citadel of Trials side quest. The FF1 Class Change acts like an version of Basic D&D's Fighter upgrade that's expanded to all classes. In Basic, a 9th-level Fighter could choose to either become a Knight (neutral), a Paladin (lawful) or an Avenger (chaotic) and could gain extra unique abilities like spell casting. FF1 took the concept and ported it over so that it affected all the classes within the limits of the FF1 game system.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the way that the "Adventure Day" in D&D and the way HP/Spell/Item resources in FF1 are handled are radically different, and so pacing and travel mechanics will be very different between the videogame and the adaptation.

FF1 is a pretty linear game in of itself, which may not play well with tabletop gaming expectations. The Crystal Lake / Lufenia side quests are also one of the few places in the game where the actual plot is expanded on, so making them optional may cause the story to become disjointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread