Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This thread's gone mad - Corn Fridge is making good points. Dealers aint going nowhere yet.

The thread has also only thus far been discussion regarding buying new cars, when new car dealerships will be literally entirely unaffected by Vroom, even if it's super successful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

West SAAB Story posted:

I was not actually attempting to compare a simple cabbie transaction to a purchase for the sake of the differences of cost of ownership, et al. I was doing so just to illustrate that this concept of ownership is something that much of the current target demographic doesn't seem to care as much about (and a throwaway joke inferring their weakness with unhappy real life situations).

I think it's less 'don't care about ownership' and more 'jesus gently caress a driving appliance ccosts $20k' but that's me.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Liquid Communism posted:

I think it's less 'don't care about ownership' and more 'jesus gently caress a driving appliance ccosts $20k' but that's me.

Yeah its this

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bogan Krkic posted:

I'm laffing big time at the suggestion that couch and mattress salespeople don't also work on commission and upsell / pressure customers into sales / extended warranties etc

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ikea also havee upsells and subtle ways to make you buy more poo poo than you were expecting. They also do have commission sales people annd bullshit practices. They design the store so you walk out with a bunch of poo poo you never thought of and Swedish Meatballs. The store design is classic bullshit sales tactics.

This thread's gone mad - Corn Fridge is making good points. Dealers aint going nowhere yet.

I have never been subjected to upsell or pressure tactics when shopping at Ikea. Maybe it's just an American thing to have bullshit aggressive salespeople. Does Ikea even have extended warranties?

Yes, their stores are designed to get you past every single product they offer, but I don't consider that a bullshit sales tactic, unless you're spectacularly weak-willed.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I mean, in theory you can get a base-model Kia Rio, Nissan Versa, or Honda Fit for 12-15k, but here's the catch : Dealers don't stock these in bare-bones basic models.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean, in theory you can get a base-model Kia Rio, Nissan Versa, or Honda Fit for 12-15k, but here's the catch : Dealers don't stock these in bare-bones basic models.

Those models literally only exist so the ads can say "New car! Starting at $11,999*!", to get people to visit the stealerships.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Those models literally only exist so the ads can say "New car! Starting at $11,999*!", to get people to visit the stealerships.

Yup.

See my first post in the thread, because that sort of thing is exactly what I'm looking for as a getting to work without having to fix it car so I can keep my wrenching to projects.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

KozmoNaut posted:

I have never been subjected to upsell or pressure tactics when shopping at Ikea. Maybe it's just an American thing to have bullshit aggressive salespeople. Does Ikea even have extended warranties?

Yes, their stores are designed to get you past every single product they offer, but I don't consider that a bullshit sales tactic, unless you're spectacularly weak-willed.

I'm not American, but Ikea is just about the only store without the bullshit upsell agressive salespeople, and like mentioned above, they do their upselling in other ways. They're an outlier in the home furnishing market, in terms of sales techniques, and they are very aware of that and use it as a selling point.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

fridge corn posted:

But where are you going to test drive this car? Sit in it? See how different colours look irl? What about competitive pricing? The new car market is too volatile to leave pricing up to some nationwide service, when locally other dealers could run rings around. People arent going to buy cars sight unseen and wherever you go to look at them there will be someone trying to sell you something

You clearly haven't thought this through

Haha. It wasn't a hypothetical scenario. I was just describing exactly how Tesla has been selling cars for several years. You sit in it and test drive it at the showroom or service center. Which works exactly like a dealership, only without the slimeballs on commission. Some places are far from service centers, so Tesla has touring popup stores with demo cars.

If you want to check out the exact config you want in person, a 3rd party dealership is no guarantee, they don't stock all configs in all colors.

The people who work for Tesla are definitely in sales mode, they do offer financing which I'm sure makes them more money and they probably have some sort of marketing mechanics to track their efficiency. But the guy showing me the car doesn't have to sell it right there and then in order to feed his kids. So no "always be closing", no pushing, no switcharoo finance trickery. The end result isn't necessarily a bed of roses, but it's definitely a bed with less poo poo.

At the end of this, you might not get an OEM showroom in every town in every country. That would be hideously complicated and expensive for the OEM. But you do get a real threat to the dealer, he can be factored out of the deal, which means they have to change how they operate. It could mean not taking part in the purchase transaction, not employing sales personnel but just invoicing a fixed amount for car storage and delivery.

E: competitive pricing happens between overtly between OEMs since MSRP actually matters and between dealers on who can fulfill delivery the cheapest.

Ola fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 1, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup.

See my first post in the thread, because that sort of thing is exactly what I'm looking for as a getting to work without having to fix it car so I can keep my wrenching to projects.

Grab a used Corolla/Camry or Civic/Accord. As long as they aren't too rusty, they'll go pretty much forever without stranding you and cost nothing to repair, if something should go wrong. Buying a new car to save money rarely works out.

Bogan Krkic posted:

I'm not American, but Ikea is just about the only store without the bullshit upsell agressive salespeople, and like mentioned above, they do their upselling in other ways. They're an outlier in the home furnishing market, in terms of sales techniques, and they are very aware of that and use it as a selling point.

Maybe that's why I prefer to buy my furniture there, and obviously because it's hella inexpensive. I prefer the sales tactics to be passive rather than overtly aggressive. Other places could learn a lot from them.

On the other hand, I bought some stuff from Ilva, which is a higher-end chain here in Denmark. The salespeople were extremely friendly and very helpful with no pressure at all. So maybe other places are learning.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Ola posted:

Haha. It wasn't a hypothetical scenario. I was just describing exactly how Tesla has been selling cars for several years. You sit in it and test drive it at the showroom or service center. Which works exactly like a dealership, only without the slimeballs on commission. Some places are far from service centers, so Tesla has touring popup stores with demo cars.

If you want to check out the exact config you want in person, a 3rd party dealership is no guarantee, they don't stock all configs in all colors.

The people who work for Tesla are definitely in sales mode, they do offer financing which I'm sure makes them more money and they probably have some sort of marketing mechanics to track their efficiency. But the guy showing me the car doesn't have to sell it right there and then in order to feed his kids. So no "always be closing", no pushing, no switcharoo finance trickery. The end result isn't necessarily a bed of roses, but it's definitely a bed with less poo poo.

At the end of this, you might not get an OEM showroom in every town in every country. That would be hideously complicated and expensive for the OEM. But you do get a real threat to the dealer, he can be factored out of the deal, which means they have to change how they operate. It could mean not taking part in the purchase transaction, not employing sales personnel but just invoicing a fixed amount for car storage and delivery.

E: competitive pricing happens between overtly between OEMs since MSRP actually matters and between dealers on who can fulfill delivery the cheapest.

Tesla is at the moment a low volume niche product and also a start up with no pre-existing infrastructure. It's impossible to say if their sales model is even applicable to the established high volume manufacturers, so yes, it is a hypothetical scenario

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

fridge corn posted:

Tesla is at the moment a low volume niche product and also a start up with no pre-existing infrastructure. It's impossible to say if their sales model is even applicable to the established high volume manufacturers, so yes, it is a hypothetical scenario

My friend, I think you might want to reexamine the meaning of 'hypothetical'

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

My friend, I think you might want to reexamine the meaning of 'hypothetical'

Why?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Saga posted:

As I understand it, the car industry's franchise model gives the franchisee a little bit more freedom of action and, potentially, profit. Hence the lousy treatment of customers. Franchised dealerships aren't a necessity for the customer, they're useful for the manufacturers and, if they rape the customer hard enough, the franchisee. This also explains why no franchisee wants to give an out the door price and the byzantine 20 step process that the customer has to negotiate to avoid getting super-hosed.

The franchise agreements are very protective of the franchisee because US auto dealers are a cartel. It's fairly difficult to find a competent dealer franchisee who is willing to put up the capital necessary to open a dealer point.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Because the thing you are describing as hypothetical, does actually exist.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

It exists insofar as tesla is concerned but not within the realm of the established high volume manufacturers.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Bogan Krkic posted:

Yes, but the market for six figure fad-mobiles and actual cars that normal people buy is a bit different. When you're buying a toy, test drives, and kicking the tires isn't as important.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

fridge corn posted:

It exists insofar as tesla is concerned but not within the realm of the established high volume manufacturers.

No, not yet. That's what we're saying, they should and could trade like that, at least in areas where dealers are dicks and it isn't illegal to circumvent them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KozmoNaut posted:

On the other hand, I bought some stuff from Ilva, which is a higher-end chain here in Denmark. The salespeople were extremely friendly and very helpful with no pressure at all. So maybe other places are learning.

Was this an Ilva-owned store staffed by Ilva employees? Or was it Mads' Furniture Holdings LLC DBA Ilva Of Aalborg?

edit: the customer experience will always suck under the franchise model because the dealer will blame the OEM and the OEM will blame the dealer.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I love the dealer model. You get old women over paying to subsidize your below cost purchase. It is the back bone of America you commies. The old saddle you with unpayable government debt and you make them pay $30k for a corolla.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.
Edit

Fuelslt1 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 15, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Grab a used Corolla/Camry or Civic/Accord. As long as they aren't too rusty, they'll go pretty much forever without stranding you and cost nothing to repair, if something should go wrong. Buying a new car to save money rarely works out.

Yeah, just keeping an eye out for a decent one locally. We use a ton of salt, so rust is a thing, and a lot of them got riced to gently caress and are being sold on to avoid having to fix them. Looked at a couple ex-cop Crown Vics as well, they're like driving a couch.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Was this an Ilva-owned store staffed by Ilva employees? Or was it Mads' Furniture Holdings LLC DBA Ilva Of Aalborg?

edit: the customer experience will always suck under the franchise model because the dealer will blame the OEM and the OEM will blame the dealer.

Hell, Best Buy figured out 15 years ago that commissioned salespeople put off customers, so as soon as other major electronics retailers moved into their area they got rid of commission.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Would you however, purchase a sofa or a matress without first sitting/laying on it???

Honest question here, has the "internet startup mattress company" fad not caught on over there yet? There's a bunch of them in the US now where you just pick a size and order it online. They work around the fear of not liking it by giving an actual generous return policy, where they will send someone to pick it up and donate it if you don't like it after 90 days or so. Real refund and all that, every local store here will only give you store credit and you have to haul it back on your own dime.

I think that return policy is going to be one of the last hurdles, once you get past the legal protections. And I think that's something that might be solvable when automakers care less about selling the individual person on the idea of a car, than they do about selling that person the idea of a pay per use on a fleet of cars. It doesn't matter if someone bought it, drove it for a week, and changed their mind, because it's only going to be driven about that much for most of its life anyway by hundreds of people.

I don't see pay per use taking over niche auto markets anytime soon, but pretty much every niche is shrinking anyway. The number of people who want a proper sports car / real SUV to go and do things like track days and trail runs is a shrinking percentage of the shrinking population that wants to own a car at all.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
There is nothing wrong with throwing the dealer model out and just having company showrooms, like Tesla.

Or gently caress it, Apple.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Honest question here, has the "internet startup mattress company" fad not caught on over there yet? There's a bunch of them in the US now where you just pick a size and order it online. They work around the fear of not liking it by giving an actual generous return policy, where they will send someone to pick it up and donate it if you don't like it after 90 days or so. Real refund and all that, every local store here will only give you store credit and you have to haul it back on your own dime.

No, I've never heard of that. I recently purchased a matress just over a year ago and if it wasn't for some very helpful salespeople I don't think i would have ended up with the product I did, which was from a manufacturer i had never heard of before. It's literally the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on and was a very reasonable price so i cant thank that salesman enough really

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.
Edit

Kiger_Soze
Feb 1, 2005
Nice troll guys, good stuff. Even included a lemonparty.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Edit

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Edit

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Fuelslt1 posted:

Really?

Go to a dealer and ask them to order you one. Problem solved.

Yes please go try to special order a base stripper model and see how that works out (it won't).

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Edit

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fuelslt1 posted:

I love these educated people spewing "facts".

The manufacturer decides what vehicles the dealership receives (for the most part). A dealership can say they want more F-150's instead of Fiesta's and a dealership can order almost any car in any configuration.

It's not the dealers fault that they don't have a manual window, 5-speed, 8-track equipped $12k car available for you at all times.

That's not my point. My point is that the ultra cheap models exist mainly so the brand can flash how inexpensive their cars are, even though 99% of people will buy a more expensive one.

It makes them feel like they're springing fit a fancier model, while getting a deal.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Edit

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Or try living in a decent state, here in Texas I can walk off with a stripper full size work truck all day every day from almost any dealer.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I have never had a problem with a dealer ordering a car of any configuration. You can usually find one on a lot or in route to a dealer. Don't expect the lot to be full of cars no one wants though. People are not willing to save $800 to not have air conditioning and ABS brakes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fuelslt1 posted:

They exist because people buy them.

Very few people buy stripper models. They primarily exist so the marketing department can hit a target price in ads.

Around here, everyone advertises the price of cheap 3-door hatchbacks, but the 5-door models outsell them like 10 to 1, or even more.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 1, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ikea also havee upsells and subtle ways to make you buy more poo poo than you were expecting. They also do have commission sales people annd bullshit practices. They design the store so you walk out with a bunch of poo poo you never thought of and Swedish Meatballs. The store design is classic bullshit sales tactics.

And yet people don't talk about the horrible salesmen at IKEA, or walk in expecting to get ripped off. I wonder if there's something else at work here?

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Edit

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fuelslt1 posted:

Really?

Go to a dealer and ask them to order you one. Problem solved.

As I said then, they're perfectly willing to order it... for about 10% of MSRP on top in fees. At which point they start trying to upsell me on something in stock because it's not -that- much more expensive...

blugu64 posted:

Or try living in a decent state, here in Texas I can walk off with a stripper full size work truck all day every day from almost any dealer.

Yeah, if I was after a truck, that'd be easy. Even stripper F150's and Silverados are in the $20k plus range, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Edit

• Locked thread