Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

It's only August, but I'm already starting to prepare for my Halloween party this year. It'll be our first Halloween in our new house and I'm super excited to have trick-or-treaters again. Haven't have any in nearly a decade!

This thread is to talk about everything Halloween!

What costumes are you planning on this year? What costumes have you done in the past?

What are your favourite movies or tv specials that you like to watch around Halloween?

How do you like to decorate the inside and outside of your home for Halloween? Any favourite decorations?

What's your favourite music for a good Halloween playlist?

What are your favourite things about Halloween? Do you have any traditions?

Every October, I look forward to watching Cinemassacre's Monster Madness. http://cinemassacre.com/category/moviereviews/monstermadness/monster-madness-2007/

I adore horror as a genre and have spent way too much time watching bad horror flicks on Netflix. Trying to narrow down which movies to put on for Halloween is frustrating. I have a couple of those "50 Scary Movies" packs, so I have over 170 movies to choose from, many of which I haven't even seen yet! I suppose there's always the classics of Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy and The Wolfman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

a hole-y ghost posted:

nessa cinemassacre halloween is just a rip off of Haunted Investigators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlabfIO71Yg

How are short videos about various horror movies a rip off of a ghost hunting show? :confused:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

a hole-y ghost posted:

Hey speaking of haunted spooky houses do you still go to that old lady's house that you posted about?

I moved almost a month ago, so I'm no longer a 5 minute walk away from the place.

The estate lawyer said it was being sold this summer for the lot value of $565,000. I said I was interested in purchasing some furniture from the place, but never heard anything back.

One of the last times I went by, the porch door was openable, so I was able to get a couple pics through the window of what the inside is like.

https://imgur.com/a/1RIaU

There's not really an interesting or exciting end to the story. I expect it will be bulldozed if anyone actually buys the place for half a million dollars.

death sext posted:

I also love Halloween very much, and I'm glad I'm not the only one already excited in August.

I'm getting all my decorations while they're still on discount, and on Halloween I'm going to be a witch with many potions, and the potions are cocktails that I drink, and maybe I'll barf in my hat.

And the movie I watch every year is The Halloween Tree

I gave up on Christmas a couple years ago and do Ghostmas now, so I get some really good deals on Halloween stuff in December. Fancy card stores have Halloween gift bags for 25 cents by December.

The fabric store near me has Halloween fabrics for 50% off still, but I don't know what I'd make. I don't even have a sewing machine. I just want to make something with Halloween fabrics.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

a hole-y ghost posted:

yeah christmas kinda sucks now, with amazon everyone just gets what they want when they want it anyway so I can only really give joke gifts

That's not why I gave up Christmas. I gave up Christmas because I had been working retail and was absolutely sick of how I'd start to hear Christmas songs in the stores on November 1st. By mid-October, the Halloween stuff is pushed to a corner of the store and the Christmas stuff is brought to the front.

So I decided that instead of taking my Halloween decorations down after Halloween, I would ramp them up instead. I have a little black Ghostmas tree and everything gets wrapped in spooky wrapping paper.

My home has two seasons, summer and Halloween.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

death sext posted:

I like you :ghost:

Thank you! :ghost:

AWarmBody posted:

A decade ago I would watch those scary marathons in ABC Family. There was one show where they would send regular people to haunted places to spend the night and the narrator sounded old and sickly but somehow it was terrifying. They went to Vlad the impaler's castle, Alcatraz, old plantations that were haunted by the ghost of hoodoo slaves and stuff. No idea what that show was called but it was all in night vision

That's probably Scariest Places on Earth. I used to watch it all the time when I was younger. Linda Blair (from The Exorcist) was the host and she would do her creepy possessed voiced for the narration. A normal family would be sent to a scary place to spent the night and they'd run around screaming with night vision cameras.

Most of it's on Youtube now.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

ambient robot posted:

Halloween was cool up until I got to the age where everyone just kinda used it as an excuse to get drunk while cosplaying as sexy nuns or walking dicks.

Halloween is still cool. You've got stores selling big bags of candy. You've got horror movies on tv. And you've got people putting carved jack-o-lanterns on their front steps.

A few years ago, Nestle started rebranding their chocolate bars for Halloween. Smarties became "Scaries" and were orange and black. Aero became "Scaero", Coffee Crisp became "Coffin Crisp" and Kit Kat was just Kit Kat with a black cat on the packaging.

I look forward to buying a bag of mini Coffin Crisps.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Toriori posted:

I love christmas but I don't do any decorating before Rememberance Day which is November 11.
I adore Halloween too but I don't know what to dress as yet! we didn't get a lot of kids for candy last year because it was pouring rain.

We always used to wait until December 1st before decorating for Christmas as a kid.

It rained here too last year, but there were still tons of kids on the street because rain is preferable to the usual snow. It was super nice to have a Halloween where the decorations weren't buried under a foot of snow.

We were also able to do a Halloween witch ceremony out in the park around a fire because it was so nice out. We had pumpkin tarts and pomegranate soda while telling stories about dead people around the fire. :)

I'm planning on doing Morticia this year. Hopefully I can find a decent dress for cheap.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Last year, I got a Halloween Tarot deck. It's pretty cool. The Emperor is the Frankenstein monster.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Where where where where?!

It was at a comic con at a booth selling crystals and witchy paraphernalia.

Oddly, I've gotten two of my three Tarot decks at that comic con. The other one is a Persona deck.

Looks like the Halloween deck is on Amazon. https://www.amazon.ca/Halloween-Tarot-Deck-Kipling-West/dp/088079965X/ref=pd_cp_14_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=D79CC32WPXTMXW9SXQTT

Even if you don't read Tarot or believe in it, the cards are really cool looking and make for a nice Halloween decoration. There are ghosts instead of cups, pumpkins instead of pentacles, imps instead of wands and bats instead of swords.

I keep that deck in a special "witch box" I made with candles and incense. I break it out when I want to feel mystical and spooky.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 22, 2016

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Thanks. I'm the same way. My house is littered with occult stuff even though I know it's all fake and dumb.
I just like the aesthetics.

I was super into the occult when I was a kid. My lunch hour would be spent in the back corner of the library reading books about ghosts, Bigfoot and mythology. In junior high, I wanted to write my own Harry Potter knock off novel, so I did a ton of research by buying all sorts witch books and even followed directions to carve my own magic wand. I think it's still somewhere at my mom's house.

I don't think magic spells or healing crystals work or anything, but I do think it's a way to feel self-empowered and anti-establishment. I'm gonna call myself a witch and do my own thing. I'll wear ankh necklaces, praise Dracula and make my own traditions.

I have always loved The Addams Family and The Munsters. The only thing that ever bothered me on those shows was how they'd write the characters to always be contrary to the point that they can't like nice things because they only like "bad" things. For example: they like to sleep on beds of nails and hate the taste of homemade cookies.

I wish they'd make a show like that where the family can still like comfy beds, tasty food and cute animals. They just like creepy things as well.

Bewitched was also a fun show, even though it got really repetitive and dumb. Endora was right and I want to be like her when I get older. :allears: I always wanted them to do a show with a grown up Tabitha who takes after her grandmother, constantly foiling her rear end in a top hat of a father.

Thinking about it, there were a lot of non-evil witches in media in my youth. We had Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Charmed, and Harry Potter. I actually get mad now when I see a modern horror movie that portrays witches as evil monsters.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

puke pentagram posted:

Favorite holiday, but I've never celebrated it properly. I dressed up as Darth Vader a long time ago...

I like all the spooky stuff. Apparently, a lot goes on during Halloween that is actually scary because people do weird and horrifying poo poo during October.

Many animal rescues don't adopt out black cats in October because people will adopt them just to torture them on Halloween. :(

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

peach moonshine posted:

Last time, I made a voodoo doll costume, kinda like this:

Some dude pointed to the big pins and asked, "Are you Google Maps?" I said no, I'm a voodoo doll. He said, "Next year you should be Google Maps with directions to get from your tits to your pussy."

Nice Voodoo Doll costume! That's a neat idea for a costume. :)

And that guy is a creep and an rear end in a top hat.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I just realized I can make a spooky Halloween wreath out of my hops vines this year. Unfortunately, they are not flowering hops, so wreaths are all I can really make.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So I started watching ghost shows on Youtube, including a neat documentary on the Enfield Poltergeist.

I also discovered that Ghost Adventures (aka Ghost Bros) has 12 seasons? How did that happen?

There was also a show about Amish ghost stories, but that just made me feel sad. One was about a young girl who the town thought was a witch because she was a loner and would talk to herself. They exiled her and she was shortly found dead of starvation. They gave her a witch's burial with a tree planted on top to trap her soul forever.

Ghost shows playing in the background give a good, spooky ambience and many are nearly indistinguishable from modern horror movies. (Thanks paranormal Activity) Anyone have any favourites?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The dollar stores are getting all their Halloween stuff in. I picked up some Halloween fridge magnets, a huge ghost to hang from a tree in the front yard and a little orange scarf with bats on it. :)

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Fire Barrel posted:

I've actually seen a lot of stores putting Halloween stuff out already too. Kind of early, but if Christmas can get it the same treatment it's only fair I suppose.

Yeah, the Chistmas stuff gets put out in mid October now, before Halloween is even over!

Value Village has their Halloween stuff out too and it looks like a Halloween Alley will be setting up shop in town soon.

Apparently, Michaels has their Christmas stuff out already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Speleothing posted:

Still need advice for a couple's costume

Go as characters from an old timey Halloween card.

http://thefw.com/vintage-halloween-cards/

I love these cards.

Edit: whoops, fixed the link.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 3, 2016

• Locked thread