Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
1. E Buck Rogers

2. L: Doctor

3. Bionics:
5: Enhanced Cognition.
10: Dermal Armor
12: Electronic Communications Suite

4. What did you do before the war?
P: I was a scientist/engineer. Specifically, we were a genetic engineer! gently caress robotic transhuminism, we saw how that worked out. Biological transhumanism is where its at! Lets make better people! This should come in handy when colonizing a new planet, no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
A

C

F

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Voting no to waking the doctor and yes to waking a security person.

The wardens seem fine, but it doesn't hurt to be careful.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
B, C

Also, this is genuinely excellent sci-fi Olothreutes, thanks for running it.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
A, he will know which engineers we should wake up.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
A, and don't wake anyone else up.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
C

E

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
A, yarrrrrr

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Medical, officers, security.

We really ought to wake medical up first in case someone has a bad reaction coming out if cryo, like seizures or clots or hemmoraging or something.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Outrail posted:

What's the plan when we find out the planet is inhabited by an early stage intelligent lifeform? Enslavement or straight up genocide?

Selective breeding for non-intelligence, compliance and flavor.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
F

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
This CYOA is excellent, OP you should divorce your wife and quit school and work and write updates all day

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I was just kidding about the giving up life for the CYOA, although this is some of my favourite sci-fi I've read in a long time. The pioneer/exploratory feel combined with actual hard science is great, it's prompted me to look up further info on astronomy a bunch of times now. Thank you for putting the work into it.

F then B.. We should have medical awake just in case of anyone experiencing complications coming out of cryo,and then our first officer to help with anything unexpected that might come up.

Also the head of medical might be able to use the information we've gathered about cryo to come up with mitigation strategies to reduce cryo related casualties. I'm assuming that with that many colonists, it was expected some might have trouble waking up in full health, medical might be able to better prepare for that now.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

dont be mean to me posted:

"I was thinking decay products, actually." Pause for thought. [OP would know better than me what kinetic tics Tabitha has for that.] "What's the crisis analysis for only having three of you on watch, instead of four?"

Also a vote on whether we bury him under the first tree at our first settlement on the new world.

+1 to burying him under the first tree planted or some other form of hero's funeral.. It'll show the colonists that we value their service and sacrifice.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Outrail posted:

Blah blah blah and finally we used one of our precious drones to blow a hole in the super massive gas giant, spewing debris through out the system.
Any questions?

I vote this so hard.. There's gotta be some reason we can come up with. The very inner planet is metallic, uh, maybe we can break it up into pieces that are more easily harvestable in the future?

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Outrail posted:

Uhg, physics, logic and rational thinking ruin everything.

You must be fun at parties.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Midgaard.
BC
H

I like the idea behind Neifelheim, but the word itself sounds like a brand of Danish canned ham or something.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Mr. Nemo posted:

I don't get why the science officer is throwing a shitfit over like 1% extra working population. It's not like there's already a plan saying how we should start colonizing the planet. We can take it as slowly as we want. It may even not be necessary to wake up large swathes of the colonists before some basic structures are set up.

That might be worth investigating. Maybe she knows someone in the affected colonists?

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
changing my vote from Midgaard to Omaissen.

What better name for a planet run by goons than naming it after a guy who died from sitting in a chair for too long.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Xarbala posted:

I'm fine switching to Omaissen or Terra Nova, whichever is currently higher, so long as it means the colonists aren't plopping down onto a planet and saying "Hey guys this is the real Ultima Thule, congratulation, we done it"

On second thought if we named the planet Norway that would actually be kind of incredible.

Remember, the colonial demonym will be derived from the planet name. Svalbardian? Midgardian[lol]? Jotunheimers[lmao]? Omaissenian? Terra Novan?

Norwegian.

This probably won't be a huge issue; after all, how often do we use the term "Earthling" in real life? We're more likely to just use the term "everyone" or "everyone in the world" or the like.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Changing my vote from Omaissen to Hoo Boy.

We'd just be collectively known as Boys. Or maybe Hoobs.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
"Hoo" is another word for "hurrah" , an expression of joy.

One of the meanings of "boy" is "servant" .

Hooboy shall be hoobmanity's joyful servant.

See, totally planned and not weird at all.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

This makes me happy. Having actual fun in a CYOA is so much better than bitching and rules-lawyering everything to death.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Outrail posted:

"Welcome to the first meeting of the council of humanity. Finally, humanity's children have been brought together for the first time in over three hundred years. In attendance are representatives from Earth, New Earth, Terra Nova, New Hope, Terra Nova (2), Salvation, Redemption and ugh... Hooboy Whataplanet."

"HI GUYS!"

We will be the cool planet that everyone wants to party with. Our icewine exports will be the chillest drink in the galaxy.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
We need to drop the left over cryopods from orbit like bombs and shape the landscape to our liking. Most metal terraforming ever.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Ralith posted:

Mining dead stars sounds really hard. Nice to have a bunch of extra mass handy for if we eventually get stupid levels of tech, I suppose.

Maybe not dead stars, but our space elevator is going to make mining other solar bodies a lot easier. I'm excited to see a space pirate industry rise up where they fight over seams of titanium they find in asteroids.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
A few years back in Calgary the temperature dropped below -40C with wind chill and I didn't have a car, I normally walked about 30 minutes through downtown to work. It was annoying, but with a few layers and a balaclava it wasn't too bad. The worst part was that my lungs would end up aching from breathing the cold air, even though I was breathing it through a scarf. I wouldn't want to go out in it unprepared though, I imagine you'd die pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
A
D
J

• Locked thread