Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

What bugs me the most about Kelly's piece is that the mermaids are different. One has the whole chest exposed but the only only half. It ruins the symmetry of the piece.

They have different hair as well which is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

OmegaBR posted:

Kelly's chest piece is a well done AT piece, but is it just me, or is the placement a bit off? The nipples getting hooked so tight between the mermaid tails isn't too appealing to me. I have to wonder how it would have stood up against the others had she advanced.
It would have lost because it doesn't look as bold and well realized as the other two. AT is pretty obnoxious to judge, but Kruseman did get his underdog victory with it.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I'm catching up on the finale now, and as usual it's loving terrible. Can't they like...hire some person who does this poo poo for a living?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Dave being suspended by flesh hooks and then having a guy run across the stage to push him like a swing was loving hilarious

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

Pussy Quipped posted:

Dave being suspended by flesh hooks and then having a guy run across the stage to push him like a swing was loving hilarious

I just watched the finale on DVR and I think the suspension swing might beat out Boneface's truth bomb for funniest Ink Master moment. I'm dying to know what the rationale behind that was. Jesus.

I really like Kelly's final piece and am butt hurt that it didn't get shown on TV. I was rooting for her but Gian and Ryan are amazing, too, and they really rose to the occasion.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

right to bear karma posted:

I just watched the finale on DVR and I think the suspension swing might beat out Boneface's truth bomb for funniest Ink Master moment. I'm dying to know what the rationale behind that was. Jesus.
To justify the "The suspense is over" pun. And nothing on Ink Master this season (or most seasons) was funnier than Boneface's own. They even tried to shoot it down during a tepid "jury of peers" talkback segment ,and all it did was remind everyone how goddamned funny and true it was.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dave looooves suspending himself on hooks, I guess he was just bringing his hobby to work

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh and Dave Navarro was apparently playing tetherball down at the underpass tonight:

https://twitter.com/dancleary79/status/770881157793591296

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Digital Jedi posted:

What bugs me the most about Kelly's piece is that the mermaids are different. One has the whole chest exposed but the only only half. It ruins the symmetry of the piece.

I like that the mermaids are in different positions and not simply mirror images.

Catch Dave next year for the first season of....BodyMod Master!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That can't be good for your body.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Invalid Validation posted:

This has never been a concern for Dave.

I thought Gian's body of work through the season was great, and he turned some lovely canvasses in to great tattoos, like the pin up of the guy in front of his car, but his final tattoo wasn't anywhere near as good as Ryan's, it was an impossible task though. Ryan had to do cheesy new school oh noooo. That's the game though I guess.

And yeah, agree about it being silly to eliminate Kelly on 'what she does daily', especially after saying how cool it was that Ryan got to do her thing. Oh well, she killed it.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I think they should have kept him suspended the rest of the show. The judges table would just be a shot of Oliver and Chris like normal with Dave's midsection floating between them.

Better than heroin.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

KilGrey posted:

I think they should have kept him suspended the rest of the show. The judges table would just be a shot of Oliver and Chris like normal with Dave's midsection floating between them.

Dave can only talk when he's on camera as he swings between the two judges tables.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They really need to get their sound poo poo together on the live episodes it sounds terrible.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I don't think Dave said a single "meow" and that's sad.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

They really need to get their sound poo poo together on the live episodes it sounds terrible.

It really is amazing they haven't figured this out yet, every single live finale there is some problem where the contestants can't hear Dave or he can't hear them so there is awkward pauses.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Epi Lepi posted:

I don't think Dave said a single "meow" and that's sad.

Yeah I was listening and didn't hear any. :(

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

It really is amazing they haven't figured this out yet, every single live finale there is some problem where the contestants can't hear Dave or he can't hear them so there is awkward pauses.

Probably the endless "WOOOOO!!!" coming from the crowd has something to do with that. That annoyed the poo poo out of me.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Nah, they need to have contingencies set up for mic failures and I agree that it's incredible that they don't. I also agree that the sound quality is shockingly lovely. I mean, I guess it works in as much it hasn't fully ruined a finale yet, but it's sloppy as hell and disturbingly easy to fix.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I always laugh that the contestants on the stage can never hear the judges.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Digital Jedi posted:

I think this would have worked better if the faces were more different from each other so it didn't look completely mirrored aside of that one thing.

But still Kelly should absolutely been in the final 2 and it was total bullshit that they chose gian over her bc she did new school when she didn't even pick it.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

KilGrey posted:

I always laugh that the contestants on the stage can never hear the judges.

Yeah they need some monitors up in there

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

But still Kelly should absolutely been in the final 2 and it was total bullshit that they chose gian over her bc she did new school when she didn't even pick it.

As a gigantic Kelly Doty lover, I'll disagree with this. She definitely lobbied to get New School.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Shrug. It should have been about the quality of the tattoo and not what style they did.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Shrug. It should have been about the quality of the tattoo and not what style they did.

And the judges need to be consistent with their voting. They didn't mention at all how Ryan did black and grey for over half if her canvases...

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
I'm not prone to "the fix is in" type thinking, but I feel more and more like who goes and who stays is more based on ratings/popularity than talent. I'm not saying entirely, but it seems to be a factor. And with this last one, I feel like they decided Ryan was gonna be ink master unless she totally botched the master canvas, which would've been pretty unlikely. I wasn't really blown away by any of the master canvases this time around. I don't think they were bad; I just didn't feel super impressed by any of them. :shrug:

Watercolor coral reef with no fish allowed is a terrible premise. Only way you could win with that is if the other 2 had wrecked theirs.

I can't freaking unsee this in the tat now.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh drat I finally figured out what Gian's coral reminds me of

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I think this would have worked better if the faces were more different from each other so it didn't look completely mirrored aside of that one thing.

It's hard to tell exactly what happened, but I suspect that Gian got chosen over Kelly because they didn't want to remove all suspense by ensuring that a woman would win with the first elimination.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

rockcity posted:

What really isn't portrayed is just how much Sketchy leaving hosed things up for the show. I'm not going to name people, but I know from people involved that they had to shut down filming for a while because of it. They really don't address any of that with how it was shown on TV.

Really? That terrible road-to-victory interview show they had to cobble together to fill a spot since they were down a contestant to eliminate didn't make that obvious? Should have just had a non-elimination episode and let Nicki stay on after her Gypsy head. Would have loved to see her go head-to-head with Nate and watch them both fuss about it.

Overall, best season they've had in forever. Nicki and the girl alliance made for fun drama, and the finalists all put out enough good work that you could argue any of them deserved the win. I'll give Gian credit for doing as much as he could with a pretty boring topic, and unless you're really into it, American traditional is always going to look a little lackluster next to stuff with more color. Maybe the producers put the fix in for Ryan, but she's a good artist on top of being a hot chick so maybe it's sign the production is getting their collective heads out of their asses on how to make a show people will actually like.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

there wolf posted:

Really? That terrible road-to-victory interview show they had to cobble together to fill a spot since they were down a contestant to eliminate didn't make that obvious? Should have just had a non-elimination episode and let Nicki stay on after her Gypsy head. Would have loved to see her go head-to-head with Nate and watch them both fuss about it.

It would have been cool if they called back all the contestants that had been eliminated in previous episodes and gone "Okay, Sketchy had a panic attack and ran away like a little bitch, y'all get to fight it out for an episode to see who takes his place."

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

there wolf posted:

American traditional is always going to look a little lackluster next to stuff with more color.

Come say that to my face

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

XIII posted:

Come say that to my face

Sorry, dude. I know it's minimalist, rather than simple, but that doesn't do it many favors outside of the people that really love that style. Color-paloozas just catch the eye more.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Johnny Truant posted:

And the judges need to be consistent with their voting. They didn't mention at all how Ryan did black and grey for over half if her canvases...

I've known her for 6- 7 years and I can honestly say this show was the first time I'd ever seen her do a tattoo that wasn't a grey-scale sketch.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I kinda figured she would be third cause she never really stood out. She killed that last tattoo though.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I've known her for 6- 7 years and I can honestly say this show was the first time I'd ever seen her do a tattoo that wasn't a grey-scale sketch.

Sounds about right. Ink master my rear end. I honestly dislike how they(all of the artists honestly) can try to talk their canvases out of their idea and into something that they'll excel at.

Active666
Apr 3, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

Sounds about right. Ink master my rear end. I honestly dislike how they(all of the artists honestly) can try to talk their canvases out of their idea and into something that they'll excel at.

If I were a canvas on this show, I'd much rather the artist talk me out of something they can't really do rather than end up with a lovely tattoo.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

human canvases are frequently also human garbage, so their ideas are completely terrible and impossible even without a 6 hour limit, so it's totally fine artists can save them from their own idiot brains while serving their competition goals

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I volunteered to be a human canvas (because I'm garbage) a couple of season ago and one of the questions was "would you allow yourself to be talked out of a tattoo or placement?"

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Flyinglemur posted:

I volunteered to be a human canvas (because I'm garbage) a couple of season ago and one of the questions was "would you allow yourself to be talked out of a tattoo or placement?"

I'm always tempted to volunteer. I'd almost want a bad tattoo because the story would be so great. "Wow you're tattoo is so...interesting" "It sucks. You can say it. It sent an obese guy with gauges the size of dinner plates home after he swore at Dave Navarro. I can show you the video"

And your tattoo is like a sad looking worm crawling out of a lumpy skull or something trite. Or a horse with Down's Syndrome.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

At least this season had mostly ok tattoos throughout the season. Past seasons they were almost all garbage until the last couple episodes.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Trillhouse posted:

I'm always tempted to volunteer. I'd almost want a bad tattoo because the story would be so great. "Wow you're tattoo is so...interesting" "It sucks. You can say it. It sent an obese guy with gauges the size of dinner plates home after he swore at Dave Navarro. I can show you the video"

And your tattoo is like a sad looking worm crawling out of a lumpy skull or something trite. Or a horse with Down's Syndrome.

Exactly.

I was hoping for another military episode or a "redo" episode because I put in the application that my first tattoo was just an outline of two submarines and I would love to add color and a background to it. Plus it would be more unique than a Soldier's Cross or a dude in fatigues or a pinup or what have you. I am tempted to just go to Vegas and pay Sausage to do it or find Clean Rock's place because even though there are better artists closer to me (more than likely) I really like what those two do. And I've never been to Vegas, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Trillhouse posted:

Yea, plus if your tattoo is bad, you get a chance to go on TV again to be on Redemption and act insane and get another (hopefully better) tattoo.

• Locked thread