Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Ink Master returns for season 8. This time, 30 of the best artists competed for a spot on either Team Peck or Team Nunez, and only the best 18 were chosen by two of the best tattooers in the nation. And not only are they the team captains, they're also judging the competition, alongside host Dave Navarro. Can they remain objective while attempting to gain superiority? That's what Spike hopes you want to find out.

Each week, the teams compete in a Flash Challenge to determine which group is safe, and which one will compete against their own teammates to stay in the competition. To do so, they must tattoo real human canvases in the Elimination Tattoo, with the worst artist packing his or her machines and going home. Not only does the winning team get to determine which artist gets which canvas on the losing team, but they also form a jury of peers and put one of the artists up for elimination based on their observations.

The stakes are as high as they've ever been, because the winner gets $100,000, the title of Ink Master, and an all expenses paid guest spot at their mentor's signature shop.

TEAM PECK:

Captain Oliver Peck - tattooing since age 19, specializing in old school American Traditional. Co-owner of Elm Street Tattoo in Dallas, TX and the owner of True Tattoo located in Hollywood, CA.

Ryan Ashley Malarkey - Owner/Artist at The Strange & Unusual Oddities Parlor, from Kingston, PA, with 4 years' experience. Despite her lack of experience, she fancies herself as well-rounded and wants to prove you can be both sultry and talented.

Mike McAskill - Artist at Elizabeth St. Tattoo, from Riverside, CA, with 8 years' experience. After getting a tattoo kit at 17, he worked hard on his skills and worked his way to a popular shop, confident in his strong lines and shading.

Gian Karle Cruz - Traveling Tattoo Artist from Puerto Rico & Boston, MA, with 7 years' experience. Though often pegged as a chill "Island Guy," Gian has roamed from place to place, picking up more knowledge along the way, confident he can beat out artists who have been in the game longer than him.

Gia Rose - Owner/Artist at Ceremony Tattoo Society, from Philadelphia, PA, with 13 years' experience. As a girl who left home at 16, lived on freight trains, and survived cancer, Gia isn't intimidated by anything, priding herself on neo-traditional work with an emphasis on wildlife and women.

Nate Beavers - Owner at Figurehead Tattoo, from Houston, TX, with 23 years' experience. The most experienced artist this season, he's not only released DVD tutorials to teach younger artists techniques, he's lost 100 lbs and defeated arachnophobia.

Geary Morrill - Artist at Unkindness Art, from Richmond, VA, with 17 years' experience. Describing his life as a real life cartoon, Geary loves explosive pop art with clean lines and bright colors. After being diagnosed with Lyme disease, Geary is determined to get what he wants out of life.

Dave Robinowitz - Artist at A Stroke of Genius, from Boynton Beach, FL, with 11 years' experience. With a BFA in Fine Arts, and a life-of-the-party demeanor, Dave thinks he can adapt to any situation and wants to prove to the Jewish community that tattooing is a legitimate art.

Matt Murray - Co-owner of The Black Veil, from Beverly, MA, with 4 years' experience. Matt does just about everything with his twin brother Ryan, except this competition, since Ryan was eliminated. Matt focuses on black and grey portraits and prides himself on precise lines, hoping to take a win home back to his brother.

Anwon "Boneface" Johnson - Owner/Artist of Boneface Ink Tattoos, from Pensacola, FL, with 17 years' experience. As one of ten kids raised by a single mom, Boneface is aching for recognition in the tattoo world, and is ready to use any strategy he needs to in order to win.

TEAM NUNEZ:

Captain Chris Nunez - former star of Miami Ink, specializing in Japanese. Owner of Handcrafted Tattoo And Art Gallery in Miami, FL.

Eric Gonzalez - Co-owner/Artist at Deer's Eye Studio, from Lynwood, CA, with 18 years' experience. One of the most experienced artist this season, with recognition from Lady Gaga, Gonzalez wants to focus solely on the tattooing and not the drama.

Nikki Simpson - Artist at Generation 8, from Los Angeles, CA, with 5 years' experience. At only 24, Nikki prides herself for illustrative realism, including texture, depth, and dimension.

Sketchy Lawyer - Owner/Artist at Cornerstone Tattoo Gallery, from Senoia, GA, with 9 years' experience. His name comes from his art skill and his communication skill. He likes giving his clients "neo-school" tattoos, which is his own spin on neo-traditional and new school.

Kelly Doty - Owner/Artist at Helheim Gallery, from Salem, MA, with 8 years' experience. Spooky, illustrative, cartoonish, and "grim but cute" are the ways Doty describes her style. She believes her OCD is a strength that allows her to be organized and detailed.

Kevin Laroy - Artist at Perception Fine Body Art, from Dallas, TX, with 10 years' experience. Though he attended art school, he got a degree in fashion design, and tattoos mostly portraits. Skilled in bright colors and bold lines to make photorealism stand out.

Tito "Tuff Tito" Velez - Owner/Artist at Euphoria Ink, from Belleair, FL, with 22 years' experience. He preaches on leadership and perfectionism, which has helped him to own two shops.

John Collins - Artist at Cap Szumskis Timeless Tattoo, from Atlanta, GA, with 14 years' experience. Prides himself as an expert in Traditional American and Japanese and doesn't shy away from saying what he thinks.

Sirvone Smith - Artist at Sorry Mom Tattoo, from Fredericksburg, VA, with 6 years' experience. His training came from a traditional background, but loves to do realism, and tackles any challenge with passion and fire.

Carolyn Elaine - Artist at MayDay! Tattoo, from Chicago, IL, with 6 years' experience. She loves to make her work look like its moving with color realism and wants to prove to her kids that you can be strong and not just some dumb punk trying to weasel through life.

But first, at 9:30, it's Ink Master: The Decision. After the hardest and most controversial Ink Master finale in history, all the participants gather once again to discuss it. Newly crowned Master Anthony defends his spot against and Cleen Rock One.

Also, at 11pm, it's the new season of Ink Master: Redemption, where past human canvases return to confront their artists and express their displeasure. And tonight, for the first time, Master Canvases return to confront the cream of the crop, the Ink Masters, and challenge them to live up to their titles and satisfy them.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Episode Results:

*Episode One
Opening Audition: 30 artists must tattoo convention style, first American Traditional, and then Geisha, at risk of being eliminated by Peck and Nunez at any point. Each judge eliminates 4 artists each.
Artist Selection: The judges choose five artists each to be on their team. Nunez wins the coin flip to receive first pick.
Final Selection: The remaining artists tattoo whatever theme and style they want to try to get one of the remaining four spots on either team. The final four are eliminated.

*Episode Two
Skill: Composition
Flash Challenge: The teams must complete three back pieces at the same time, that form a cohesive scene.
Winner: Team Peck
Elimination Tattoo: Medusa
Best Tattoo: Kelly
Eliminated: Carolyn, for having a weird placement and art that everyone agreed was worse than Tito's. Tito was chosen by the jury of peers to go up.

*Episode Three
Skill: Precision
Flash Challenge:The members of Team Peck must create sand sculptures based on the "personal beach" of a member of Team Nunez. The winner determines the skull picks.
Winner: Dave
Elimination Tattoo: Peacocks
Best Tattoo: Gian
Eliminated: Geary, for a poor design that looked unfinished and rough linework. He was also chosen by the jury of peers.

*Episode Four
Skill: Texture
Elimination Tattoo: Working in pairs decided on by the captains, fellow teammates must tattoo shoulder armor at the same time. Team Peck must do leather armor, and Team Nunez must do metal armor.
Worst Tattoos: Nate & Dave and John & Sirvone
Face-Off Tattoo: Black & Grey Realistic Animals. The worst pair from both teams face-off against each other, each loser being eliminated. The style and subject were determined by the other team, who both picked the same.
Eliminated: Dave, for having more redness and less detail in his tattoo. John, despite having a strong showing, for being outshined by Sirvone's texture.

*Episode Five
Skill: Legibility
Flash Challenge: The members of Team Nunez must use electric wires to burn a design into a canvas. Team Peck chose sea animals as the theme.
Winner: Kevin
Elimination Tattoo: Watercolor
Best Tattoo: Nikki
Eliminated: Sirvone, for sunflowers that had bad outlines and didn't quite meet the watercolor challenge. He was also chosen by the jury of peers.

*Episode Six
Skill: Contrast
Flash Challenge: The members of Team Peck must use brown packing tape on a plexiglass canvas to show contrast. Team Nunez chose a face as the theme.
Winner: Gian
Elimination Tattoo: Outer Space
Best Tattoo: Ryan
Eliminated: Matt, for his moon looking chewed up and a lack of versatility. Gia was voted the worst by the jury of peers.

*Episode Seven
Skill: Artistry
Flash Challenge: The members of Team Nunez must tattoo over the scars of ex-smokers. Team Peck got to select their canvases.
Winner: Nikki
Elimination Tattoo: Famous Landmarks in the New School Style
Best Tattoo: Kelly
Eliminated: Tuff Tito, for an ugly floating Statue of Liberty head with only six points on the crown. He was also chosen as the worst by the jury of peers.

*Episode Eight
Skill: Ingenuity
Flash Challenge: In pairs, the members of Team Peck must use grinders and welders to create a sculpture out of nothing but metal rods. Team Nunez got to pick the pairs (and disagreed on them.)
Winner: Ryan & Gia
Elimination Tattoo: Turning Significant Others Into Pinups
Best Tattoo: Gian
Eliminated: Gia, for anatomical problems that became more obvious the more you looked at her tattoo, and taking her report card into consideration heading into the final ten. The jury of peers chose Mike as the worst.

*Episode Nine
Skill: Adaptability
Elimination Tattoo: 12 Hour Head Tattoos.
Round One: For the first six hours tattooing the left side of the head, Kelly and Gian got to assign the canvases as the previous winners of best tattoo.
Round Two: The artists then picked random skulls to determine a picking order for the right side, choosing another artist's work to finish. Ryan and Eric picked each other's canvases, Gian picked Kevin's, Nikki picked Gian's, Boneface picked Nikki's, Mike picked Boneface's, Nate picked Mike's, Sketchylawyer was forced to take Nate's, Kelly picked Sketchy's, and Kelly's original canvas tapped out due to her overworking, leaving Gian with only tattoo to judge.
Winner: Ryan
Eliminated: Mike, for having two mediocre tattoos compared to Nate and Sketchy, whose weaker tattoos still outshined his as a whole. There was no jury of peers.

*Episode Ten
Skill: Detail
Flash Challenge: Team Peck and Team Nunez go head-to-head to cover an all white Dodge Charger using nothing but permanent markers.
Winner: Team Peck
Elimination Tattoo: Hourglasses
Best Tattoo: Ryan
Eliminated: Eric, despite being sick, because his buttcheek tattoo wasn't warped well, and the eye on top of the hourglass had bad lines. The jury of peers, now comprising every artist, put Eric up for elimination.

*Episode Eleven
Skill: Technical Application
Flash Challenge: Three hour tattoos on the palm of the hand.
Winner: Nikki. Before the beginning of the elimination tattoo, Sketchylawyer quit the competition
Elimination Tattoo: Cover Ups of Tramp Stamps
Best Tattoo: Nikki
Eliminated: Boneface, who had better application compared to Kevin's lack of outline, but had the worst design overall. He was also voted the worst by the jury of peers.

*Episode Twelve is a retrospective with the final six artists, as Dave sits down with them to question their tactics so far and their aspirations for the finale.

*Episode Thirteen
Skill: Accuracy
Flash Challenge: In pairs, stacking colored bricks to create a massive image wall.
Winner: Kevin & Nate
Elimination Tattoo: Head to Head Portraits of Toddlers
Best Tattoo: Nate was chosen as the best, and beat Gian. Ryan beat Kevin, and Kelly beat Nikki.
Eliminated: Kevin, whose color portrait was determined to be more similar to the picture than Nikki's, but wouldn't stand the test of time. The jury of peers couldn't agree on the worst between Nikki and Kevin.

*Episode Fourteen
Skill: Consistency
Elimination Tattoo: Cyborg Tattoos - The teams must tattoo the same person at the same time, switching positions every hour to seamlessly continue each tattoo.
Winning Team: Team Peck
Face-Off: The losers have four hours to tattoo the theme chosen by the winners: Gypsy Girls in any style
Eliminated: Nikki, because the judges felt her headpiece was less consistent than Kelly's.

*Episode Fifteen
Skill: All
Elimination Tattoo: 15 Hour Tattoo Marathon - The artists must tattoo the themes/styles that the other teams tattooed throughout the competition. The person with the best tattoo of each five hour session advances to the live finale, while the others continue, until the only person without best tattoo is eliminated.
Round One Winner: Kelly, for a textured realistic peacock compared to the Medusas, that all had weird decisions.
Round Two Winner: Ryan, for a fish whose fins were very loose and blended well into watercoloring.
Round Three Winner: Gian, for his new school Statue of Liberty being more appealing with tricks up close.
Eliminated: Nate, for having a bright, bold Statue of Liberty, yet it wasn't as crisp as Gian's.

*Episode Sixteen: The Live Finale
America's Tattoo: Each artist was assigned a tattoo style by America to do live in a seven hour session completing during the live finale. America votes on the winner and the judges vote on the second winner, with the third being eliminated.
America's Vote: Ryan, doing fine line black & grey
Judge Vote: Gian, for doing a Japanese piece outside of his norm.
Eliminated: Kelly, with a great, but typical, new school piece.
Master Canvases: Ryan was given a '90s New School Dueling Hot Rods chest piece. Gian was given a watercolor coral reef chest piece.
Winner and Ink Master: Ryan Ashley

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 7, 2016

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Surprised Elisheba didn't make it. That snake tongue was ridiculous, also surprised they took her.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

TheDon01 posted:

I was cheering for her too. I liked her skeleton hands hair acc. :skeltal: . And once again it seems everyone can only tattoo busted rear end drag queen Geisha, and some of those trad tattoos were horrific, like that eagle. Ooof

I also really liked the one guy who has the tremors, his last tattoo had a sweet Lisa Frank/Vaporwave feel to it. He won't make it long I bet though. It looks like he does fine when he can control how and what he tattoos but they're gonna throw some weird curve ball that will trip him up hard I wager.

Omega, was it you that compiled the elimination tattoo images in the thread last season? It was always nice getting a good long close look at em.

Nah that was Not Today Satan. Hopefully he does it again, otherwise the tattoos should be up on the Ink Master site.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Three back pieces and it's the first flash challenge? Jeez Louise.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Geary's great, but I'm afraid he's the artist they'll knock for doing his own style instead of doing the challenge. I don't see him lasting too long.

Went ahead and put up the tattoos from the elimination this week: http://imgur.com/a/HFDhO

The 30 American Traditional from the first episode are also up along with the artist portfolios on the Ink Master site.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Apparently the teams are actually going back and forth on which one is up for elimination week-to-week to keep them even, until only 10 artists remain, and it becomes every man for himself.

Can't say I like that. Sort of defeats the whole purpose.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I thought his was much more aesthetically pleasing. This felt like a "he'll get eliminated eventually, so let's do it now" kind of elimination.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Complaining about manipulation while piping up during the judging, heh. I guarantee the girls are gonna turn on each other, probably around the time the top ten merge.

Huh, I guess Julia's voice was fairly fake.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 14, 2016

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I'd like to see a female Ink Master as much as the next person, but here you've got one who gave up on the challenge and practically demanding an easy canvas because she's in a bad mood about it.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm watching this redemption ep and I don't see the dick in the skull. What am I missing?

I think it was in the shadow at the bottom. I didn't really see it either.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I think they made the right decision between the three of them, but from a pure technical standpoint, it would have been Gia. Those squares are unforgivable. Don't get me wrong, Boneface's wasn't pretty, but at least it's got a lot of imagery. Gia's was creative and all, but you can't be creative if you can't execute it.

I would really, sincerely like to like the girls, because a couple of them are obviously very talented (Ryan and Kelly specifically.) But boy oh boy, they're getting more annoying by the episode. Particularly Nikki, who acts like a 10 year old (even getting comforted during the critique that wasn't even hers.)

It's getting so blatant, I'm honestly starting to question if the producers set this up. The four of them attacking one person at once, the snickering during their critique, the piping up during their critique, and just all the whining. That's what really kills me, after every single response. There have been some cocky people on this show, but they act shocked that Gian was gunning for them when they've made no secret of the fact that they're a unit.

Ah well, I'm sure it'll all fall apart once they combine the teams and Kelly and/or Ryan will make it to the final.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Nikki doesn't even know what New School is? Ho ho boy.

Her "handsome Squidward" Lincoln was definitely bad, but Tito deserved to go home (and I personally didn't think he was good enough to make it to the teams in the first place.) They really make her look like a dope though.

I think between them and Kevin, Nunez clearly has the inferior team to Peck's.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 5, 2016

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Woooooow. I'm actually very surprised. I thought Mike was the obvious loser, and then they play the report card. I mean, I hate to defend Gia, especially after she should have been gone for those chest squares, but she didn't have the worst one today.

Also, shut up Nikki, drat. She got an earful tonight, but I'm waiting for the next few episodes when it's not funny anymore, and they really tear into someone for interrupting.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

It's the whining that gets me. When she totally gave up on the electric wire challenge because it was too hard, then whined that she wanted an easy canvas because she was in a bad mood, then got the good canvas and won best tattoo. That was right before they started gunning for the guys.

But she and Mike are on the way out.

Oof. White woman Kelly playing the white man card is a quick ticket to unlikeablility. Though it's not surprising the "Tatu Baby had the best tattoo every week" twitter crowd is siding with the girls.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 19, 2016

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

detective monkey paw posted:

Or maybe the fact that you automatically liken supporting the great female artists on this season like Ryan and Kelly to liking Tatu Baby shows that this show hasn't had very many good female artists showcased in the past?

According to the stats overall, no, there haven't been. Only two women have ever made the finale, one of which is Tatu Baby, and the other, Sarah Miller, was eliminated immediately off season 7.

But that's not a reflection of the nature of the show, rather, their individual talent and ability to play the game. It's also besides the point. The twitter polls this season have been by and large referencing the girls' alliance, and this specific poll was whether you sided with them or Sketchylawyer and his calling them out. As I've lined out throughout this thread, the alliance has done a lot of uncouth stuff, between targeting specific guys, convincing their actual team members to reshuffle challenge pairings, interrupting the judges to back each other up and argue against someone else, and flat out whining about things not going their way. Granted, a lot of that has come from Nikki specifically, but Ryan and Kelly are guilty of it too.

In season 3, when Baby was literally getting voted best tattoo every week by twitter, even as she told the judges that she wasn't performing well enough to remain in the competition (until they talked her out of it and sent another artist home over her and a guy making his third straight trip to the bottom,) it was obvious there was a fan bias. I submit that all the pro alliance results this season, despite all their misgivings, is due at least in part to that bias.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I'd like to see a female Ink Master as much as anybody. But if you get there in part by playing dirty, then it doesn't reflect well on the idea that female tattooers are just as good as the guys. Nor does the idea of the "vagina card," where you deserve sympathetic treatment because women haven't always had the same opportunities as men in the field. Sketchy may have been a jerk to phrase it that way, but what he said about not carrying that with you and using it as an excuse, is righteous.

So my response isn't automatic, and I'll freely admit that Ryan and Kelly are two of the top artists. I figured one or even both of them making the finale from the onset. But that doesn't change the fact that the alliance has been trying to skew the game at all costs, and Sketchy didn't really do anything but call them out on that. However, I'm betting once Nikki goes home, Ryan and Kelly will largely stick together, but their merit as artists will outshine any strategy they manage to concoct (if any.) And it'll be a lot easier to cheer them on as a result.

Also, if they haven't already run out of gimmicks, I would very much like to see season 9 be an all female season. Maybe even with previous contestants.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Man, it's the times like these where the judging process comes into question. They sent Gia home based on report cards, and if they had done the same here, Kevin would have gone home. Eric's was definitely the worst overall, but he still even had better detail than Kevin and his uneven hourglass.

With him gone, looking at the people who are left, I think your final three are basically already decided: Ryan, Gian, and Kelly. Nate did well tonight, but I really don't totally buy that garbage he was spouting about only pretending to be mediocre until now. Boneface's artistry is questionable. Kevin's been a face in the crowd and is not going to win with performances like tonight's. Sketchy's about to crack. Nikki can perform well, but she's also Nikki.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Sketchy's a bitch. Yeah the girls are annoying as hell, yeah the game isn't always fair with the canvases. But like they said, many went home before him who would have loved to stay, particularly Eric, who got the worst case scenario being sick last week. You walk out, you make your own bed. It's not like he was Kevin ignoring everything they say.

Nikki's not a blatantly poor artist by any means, but she definitely does her best work when given help or a great canvas. If nothing else, I'm watching to see her make that long walk out.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Nikki made her bed when she quit a challenge and then practically begged to get an easy canvas right after. Which she got, and won best tattoo with. Not to mention constantly interrupting critiques of artists she doesn't like, to the point the judges had to shut her down (but to be fair, that could easily be selective editing.)

I can totally buy that they wanted a female-centric season based on the lawsuit. I've questioned whether the alliance was actually put together by the producers in the past. But the alliance is annoying and it's because they're annoying, not because they're women. I'll knock them like I would any other annoying person on any other season.

I still think your obvious top three are Kelly, Ryan, and Gian, and we may very well see the first female Ink Master. The result of which will be in part due to strategy, but ultimately due to talent. And while Nikki is not in the same class as Kelly or Ryan, she's not been obviously bad and obviously saved the way Tatu Baby was in season 3.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

When it's portrait day, and it's accuracy day, if your portrait is the least accurate, you should go home. Nikki should have gone home. Test of time notwithstanding, her face, the most crucial part, was worse than Kevin's. I agree with the judges that his face was also better than Ryan's, who did a better hair and shirt. Frankly, it's seems like Nunez had it out for him, which you can't really blame him for considering Kevin flat out defied him and his advice, but I also think Nunez is the only one actually taking the team thing seriously out of all the judges, contestants, and producers.

For the record, when I mention that the girls' alliance has been annoying, what happened during critiques is why. Goaded or encouraged or not, it's there, and is what it is.

I'm surprised Ryan not doing color didn't come up before now and she's pretty lucky it hasn't. I think she's screwed if she makes the finale and someone else picks her style. It took the recap last week for me to realize what Slo-Tek said is true: Kelly really does do those new school Living Dead Doll figures every time she gets the chance. With the gladiator at least you'd think they would have mentioned it more. Gian's still the front runner in my book.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Man, I've gotta knock Nunez for his team losing. That skull design wasn't cyborg at all and he didn't point that out.

I thought for sure Nikki was going to beat Kelly the way they telegraphed her thinking she was already gone and Kelly wanting to do her own style.

Watching Nikki leave was satisfying, but not as much as it could have been. And I say that because she really did go out on a great tattoo. Honestly, she's lucky to get this far, and wouldn't have if not for the alliance, but while they helped her fill the gaps, she did excel. Nothing Nunez said about her was untrue.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Well, there you go. Though I thought Ryan would be in round 3 with Nate based on her weak coloring skills. I think she'll get third overall, and I'm actually leaning toward Kelly to win, based on what they gave each other. But that extra day of tattoo could be the tipping point (unless America gets to vote somebody to the finale, in which case I'm sure both girls will advance regardless of the ink.)

Man, they've got to be coaching the canvases on Redemption to just go in and freak the gently caress out on the artists. Every single one this season has been like that, and it makes the show worse.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

TheDon01 posted:

I think they probably realized that he's fairly proficient in most styles and wanted to give him something that he just wouldn't enjoy.

What else would she give em?

I would have said watercolor portrait based on his struggle during that challenge that almost got him sent to the bottom for the first time.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Dave tries so hard to let everybody talk and then he remembers he has to "move it along."

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

drat, talk about dramatic.

Screw the results, nothing's gonna top this.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Man, despite the circumstances and the girls and everything, Sketchy didn't go out like a G, he went out like a B. I think he knows that.

Is it just me, or does Nikki only look 35 tonight instead of 45?

What the hell are you wearing Kevin?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

No kidding? I'm sure someone leaving messes up the plan, the schedule of challenges and the order and all that. Sounds like there's more to it though.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

"It wasn't meant to be personal." "We weren't targeting anybody." "I wasn't helping the girls."

"Yeah you were."

So that part pretty much went as expected.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Did they give Gian a tall girl on purpose? Heh.

Kelly's obviously winning the fan vote. I think Ryan's is fairly bold lined and Gian's spots don't look unfinished to me (at least not jarringly.) I like his better overall, more vibrant, less standard.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah that shocks me. Maybe some voted for her thinking Kelly would obviously beat Gian in the judge vote.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Say what you will about Dave, but the man tries his damnest to live up to his seat on that panel. I feel like that's the right call.

When I was bagging on twitter earlier in the season, this is what I'm talking about. Blame them for putting Ryan in the same way they put Baby in.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

In fairness, she could do new school without necessarily doing her living dead doll baby faces (not to mention one of the judges, though I don't honestly believe that would have swayed anybody.) Gian asked to get Japanese and did something you don't always see from it when he did. But surely we all agree Ryan should have been eliminated.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Eh, that's the game. Gian asked the fans to give him Japanese, he did a less typical image, and it paid off.

That being said, Ryan did nail that master canvas from what I can see. Unless Gian painted the greatest watercolor coral reef in history, I think she's about to win. Which is kind of a shame, because she's not Kelly, and did like, two color pieces the entire show, but that's the game.

Also, I don't know if they acknowledged it, but Team Nunez is totally eliminated now.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Purely on those two tattoos, Ryan's deserved to win. She completely killed that challenge, and it's impressive given that she kept proclaiming that she doesn't do color.

That being said, can an Ink Master not do color? Eh. It's been said, America gave her the leg up. Kelly is a better artist than her overall. Gian too. But that's the game. People would argue Anthony wasn't really the winner compared to Cleen.

Ah well, first female Ink Master. Cool, though not totally satisfying.

And drat it Dave, you didn't say your "You DO have what it takes..." line to reveal the winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Kelly's chest piece is a well done AT piece, but is it just me, or is the placement a bit off? The nipples getting hooked so tight between the mermaid tails isn't too appealing to me. I have to wonder how it would have stood up against the others had she advanced.

• Locked thread