Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Davith Waelon

A pict recording shows a darkened room with a single metal table and a chair. Chained to that table is a man who appears to be in his thirties wearing nice clothing. His hands are bandaged and he has a black eye.

"so the deal is I tell you how I was able to manipulate the Administratum for nearly 20 years, and in return you won't summarily execute me? Kind of a poo poo deal, but fine, I'll bite. I was able to manipulate the Administratum because I could. Though I guess you want me to start from the beginning huh? Fine. Mine is a tale of the revolving door between the public sector and the private sector.

I was born on a Rogue Trader's ship, the Hackath Dynasty, that plied their trade in the Kronus Expanse. They had a fleet really, and I was born on a cargo ship, called Claudia's Hammock which carried cargo. I didn't spend time on the Rogue Trader's ship, at least not yet. So on cargo ships you either are crew, a stevedore, or the people overseeing the two. I was a stevedore, or at least born to them. I just so happened to be really good at the logistics side of loading and unloading cargo, especially when it came to all the Administratum paperwork. Well I caught someone's attention who thought, 'hey this kid is good with Administratum stuff, let's have him go learn more!'

You know how they did that? They went to Port Wander, which is this big rear end station in Imperial Space on the border, and just had me sign up to join the Administratum. So I did. I was supposed to sit there and do my job, and learn all the ins and outs of the Administratum; the taxes, the forms, the protocol, all of it. I also was expected to use my position to push through anything I saw from the Hacketh Dynasty. Nothing illegal, just put their papers on the tops of the stack and all that.

At this time I had no idea what the Dynasty was doing."

Subject begins coughing and points at his throat. A glass of water is presented. Subject drinks from water and then continues.

"Okay, so this whole thing goes on for about 5 years. After it became clear I was really knowledgeable about the Administratum, someone from the Main Ship itself, The Moonless Gale came to me and said it was time to serve my Dynasty again. So I put in my notice with the Port Wander Administratum, and then went back to the fleet. So they made me a Bonded Emissary. The next six years was spent traveling the entire sector, putting out the House's fires with the Administratum. Whenever a world levied an unfair tax, goods were being held due to improper paperwork, or anything like that, I was dispatched to correct the issues, grease wheels, that sort of thing. And I was drat good at it, because I had done it; I had been in the shoes of those Administratum Adepts. Toiling away each day, reading the same forms for hours a day, doing something because your predecessor's predecessor read something the right way. So most of the time I show up, give them an example of how they are reading the regulations wrong, and they would relent.

At this time I had an inkling that the Dynasty was doing something wrong. I had suspicions they were trading in less than agreeable goods, but they were Rogue Traders, they get a certain degree of latitude."

Subject drinks more of the water. He pulls a lho stick from a gold packet, but someone off pict tells him he cannot smoke.

"So here I was, 29, and it was time for the door to revolve again. So here I was, someone with government and private sector experience. Then it turns out that the Rogue Trader Affairs Division of the Administratum on the capital needed some new blood, and I was perfect for the job. I was placed rather high in rank, and was put in charge of overseeing processing of a large number of all the documents for all the Rogue Traders operating in the Calixis Sector. This is where the outright corruption happened. I would regularly receive word of different shipments across the sector for the Hackath Dynasty. My job was to falsify documents. Sometimes it would be to change shipment type, other time it was to fudge the numbers of various loads, even change origin and departure information. I knew I was making whole ships worth of cargo disappear. And I was able to do it because I was too damned good at the job. No one higher up on the chain of review was smart enough to know what I was doing. Sure, they were much more intelligent than me, but they didn't have that practical experience. They never worked on both sides, and knew what had to be done, or falsified.

At this point I knew the Dynasty was doing some crooked poo poo, and even though I didn't know what, I was already too deep into it. How do you say know to the folks you've lived with and grown up with. That's your problem with Rogue Traders; they have this mystical cult around them because of their reputation, and people buy it. Oh I knew I was breaking the law, but poo poo, it was a Rogue Trader, they get to work outside the bounds of the law!

Well I guess I was wrong about that. Wasn't until you goons busted in my office and started asking about Halo devices and maledictums that I finally saw what it was the Rogue Traders were doing. So that is where we find ourselves. I know I broke enough laws that you could empty a full clip of bolt rounds into my skull. But why do that? If I was able to do what I did, there could be others out there like me doing the same work for other Rogue Traders, or Chartarists, or any other number of organizations. Unlike your folks at the top of the Administratum, I know exactly how to game the system and not get caught.

So you could kill me, or throw me in a penal world, or turn me into a servitor or whatever you were going to do. Or you could give me one of them fancy rosettes you have, and have me help you find other assholes, who you can then put a bolt round in. I'm already used to working under cover for organizations with nearly no limits. so this should be a walk in the park."

Pictcording ends. File contains an addendum, indicating offer was accepted.

pre:
Name: Davith Waelon
Homeworld: Void Born
Career Path: Adept->Bonded emmisary (rank 4) ->Desperado when we ascend 
Background: Void Commercia (200 exp)
Divination: "kill the alien before it can speak its lies" agility +2

Characteristics:
WS: 20=(20+5)-5[background]  
BS:  45=(20+10)+15[advance] 
S:    24=(15+9)
T:    24=(20+9)-5[background]
Ag:    43=(20+11) +2[divination]+10[advance]
Int:  56=(20+16)+20[advance]
Per:  41=(20+11)+10[advance]
WP:   37=(25+12)
Fel:  49=(20+14)+15[advance]

Wounds: 9
Fate Points: 3
Insanity: 
Corruption: 0

Skills:
Barter +20
Blather +10
Deceive +20
Disguise
dodge
Charm +10
Evaluate+10
inquiry +10
Logic
Scrutiny
Pilot (spacecraft, civilian craft)
Trade (copyist)
Tech use +20
medicae
common lore (imperium +10,administratum +20,mercantile, tech)
Forbidden Lore (cults +20, heresy +20, archeotech +10)
Scholastic lore (mercantile +10, bureaucracy +10, heraldry +10)
Secret tongue (rogue trader dynasty, administratum)
Speak language (ship Dialect, low gothic, high gothic)
Navigation (stellar)
Literacy

Talents:
ambidextrous
Pistol training (sp, las, bolt)
Light sleeper
Sprint
Peer (administratum, nobility)
quick draw
rapid reload 
step aside
Resistance (psychic powers)
Talented (deceive, barter)

Traits:
Charmed: when use fate point roll 1d10, on a 9 the fate point is not spent.
Ill-omened: -5 on fellowship test to interact with non-void born
void accustomed: immune to space travel sickness. zero and low gravity are not difficult terrain
unnatural intelligence

Gear:
Stub revolver w/6 bullets
Admin robes
auto quill
chrono
data-slate
backpack

Monthly Income:180 
Starting Wealth: 5760
Remaining wealth: 6

Acquisitions:
2x common quality Mauler class bolt pistol: 750 
-40 bolt rounds 600
-2 red dot laser sights 100
2x common quality Mark IV command Laspistol: 300
-6 charge packs 60
-2 hotshot packs 30
-2 overcharge pack 24
- red dot laser sights 100
2x common quality encarmine pistols 180
-300 bullets 10
-5 clips manstoppers 100
Common quality armored body glove 1300
re-breather 50
Photovisor 100
medkit 100
Disguise kit 150
combitool 200
common quality cybernetic hand (left) 1000
Scribe tines. 600

Advances: EXP unspent 50

Archivist-500/500
Void Commercia 200
Pistol training (las) 200
Pilot (civilian craft) 100

scriviner-/500
Peer (administratum) 200
Blather 200
Forbidden lore (cults) 100

Scribe-1000/1000
logic 100
Ambidextrous 300
Common lore administratum 100
Common lore (administratum) +10 100
Secret tongue (administratum) 100
Blather +10 200
Forbidden lore (cults) +10 100

Bonded Emissary elite rank-1000/1000
quick draw 200
Deceive 100
deceive +10 100
Deceive +20 200
Disguise 100
Scholastic lore (heraldry) 100
Talented (deceive) 100
Talented (barter) 100

Scholar-3000/3000
Common lore (administratum) +20 100
Scholastic lore (bureaucracy) 100
Scholastic lore bureaucracy +10) 100
Dodge 100
Agility simple 250
agility intermediate 500
Intelligence simple 100
intelligence intermediate 250
intelligence trained 500
intelligence expert 500 
step aside 200 
pistol training bolt 200
speak language (high gothic) 100

Comptroller-/2000
Fellowship simple 250
Fellowship intermediate 500
fellowship 750
BS simple 250
barter +10 100
Charm +10 100
resistance (psychic powers) 50

Logister Comptroller-1950/2000
Resistance psychic powers 50 (cont)
BS intermediate 500
BS trained 750 
Perception simple 100
Perception intermediate 250
Evaluate +10 100
inquiry 100
inquiry +10 100
Medicae 50

Sage Logister 2950/3000
Medicae 50 (cont)
Scholastic lore (mercantile) 100
barter +20 200
Rapid reload 200 
peer nobility 100
FL cults +20 100
tech use 200
tech use +10 200
tech use +20  200
forbidden lore heresy 100
forbidden lore heresy +10 100
forbidden lore heresy +20 100
Forbidden lore archeotech 300
forbidden lore archeotech +10 300
Scholastic Lore heraldry +10 100
Scholastic lore mercantile +10 100
unnatural intelligence 500

stats: 10#2d10 10 5 5 9 14 11 12 16 9 11
fate points: 1d10 9
starting wounds: 1d5+6 9
divination: 1d100 18

Werix fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

John Dyne posted:

Let's say at least nine months of your highest rank's salary. That should be a fair amount of money to kit out; you guys should be seasoned acolytes but I think with that much only like the nobles will have a full suit of power armor and all that other stuff.

I do want to point out that on page 29 there is a box that says that for higher level characters you are supposed to get one month's salary for every 400 exp, so that is like 32 months worth.

Not saying 9 isn't fair, but just putting into perspective what the book thinks we should have.

• Locked thread