Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Julio Kierkegaard XII

Seen here with other members of Inquisitor Corde's retinue. Which one is he? Depends on the day.

Who am I? Well, that depends on how you look at things. Truth is subjective, after all. From one point of view, I am Julio Kierkegaard XII of House Kierkegaard, the governing house of Osskius. It's really nothing special, just your basic hive world. The main exports are processed promethium and Imperial Guardsmen. Still, 98 planetary regiments since the founding, all of them highly decorated, you have to admit that's not bad. It's hardly Cadia, but the Osskius Incinerators are held in high regard. I'd say life was comfortable there, but it really wasn't. I mean, obviously the nobles are better off than the poor bastards mining promethium on the moons or working downhive, but the amount of backstabbing and political maneuvering that goes on in those spires is just absurd. I've been to other hive worlds, and none of them have anything on Osskius. We went through 8 different heads of House in one year, because they kept getting assassinated. That was a very bad year, granted, but on average anyone in a significant office lives about 10 years at most.

Luckily, I was 58th in line for anything that matters, so I didn't have to be constantly on my guard. I wasn't idle, of course, everyone pulls their weight. My duty was... well, the truth of the matter is that even the most loyal and upstanding noble house has to do some stunningly shady things to stay in power. For the good of the people, of course, because Emperor knows the House Roi idiots would run the planet straight into the ground within a decade if they ever got elected. So yes, I was technically what Imperial law would call a "smuggler." Keeping the House Militia well-equipped and buying personal shield generators for everyone who matters isn't cheap, especially not when 90% of official House funds have to be spent on hiring assassins and counter-assassins. I ran whatever was profitable. Drugs, guns, explosives, the odd bit of xenotech. My heart almost stopped when the Inquisition came calling.

But Inquisitor Corde wasn't after us, although he knew drat well what we were doing. He was looking into House Ulmari, and getting stonewalled at every turn. I was his way in: work on his behalf and he assured us that none of our shady dealings would be punished or made public. Ulmari was never very important, and we all knew they'd been acting odd. Their representatives hadn't been showing up consistently to Senate sessions, and when they did they were clearly... not entirely sober. Long story short: pleasure cult. I've always had a talent for lying, charming and an odd bit of theft, so it wasn't very hard for me to get Inquisition operatives inside the walls. And when it was all said and done, once they finished burning the place to the ground to wipe away all the unholy sigils, Corde kept his word and ignored our comparatively minor violations of Imperial law. On one condition: I had to work for him. Permanently.

As it turns out, I had a talent for his line of work. After a few years, I was getting pretty drat good at it, especially infiltrating organizations and pulling them apart from the inside. Got to the point where Corde saw me as a vital part of his team. It would have been perfect if not for the dreams. Dreams where I'm not Julio Kierkegaard XII, but instead I'm Rorke Hade, a Mechanicus menial. A menial with a striking resemblance to a noble on a distant world, especially after a little plastic surgery. A noble unimportant enough that no one would notice if he vanished for a little while and came back acting a little weird, but also a noble with a secret position in his House that would've been a perfect place for an agent. Someone who can make sure a noble house thrives so long as it maintains a good relationship with the Adeptus Mechanicus, but who could be induced to make a few "mistakes" that would utterly ruin that same noble house, if necessary. Do you see what I'm getting at? Like I said, truth is subjective, and I'm only Julio from a certain point of view. From another point of view, I'm Rorke Hade, and Julio's been dead for over ten years.

In that case, why should I care about "my" House back on Osskius? The real Julio's dead, I owe them nothing. If I walked away from all this right now and they all got killed for my crimes, that wouldn't be my problem. The problem is that I wouldn't even know what to do with myself. I have no idea what it's like to be the same person for more than a year, and if I'm going to keep changing my identity, I might as well do it for the Inquisition. At least then I can tell myself I'm doing something worthwhile. Besides, I suspect my implanted memories failed because the Mechanicus couldn't perform regularly scheduled maintenance on me once I had an Inquisitor looking out for me. The cogs don't like loose ends, so I need to stay under the Rosette so they'll be less likely to try something. I'd kill myself before I let them reprogram me again.

So, who am I? Well, you tell me, because none of my talents are mine, and I'm not sure any of my memories are either. I'm not a natural talent at infilitration. I was literally programmed to do this; I'm a decidedly unnatural talent. I've been working for the Inquisition for over a decade, and I've spent most of my time lying. And since even my past is a lie, well, I'm not sure where the lies end and I begin. So the way I see it is that every role I've ever played for the Inquisition is equally valid. I'm One-Eye Drake, underhive ganger. I'm Arbitrator Quint and you're under arrest, scum. I'm Goli Verquist, Administratum Adept 19th Rank. They call me Hoss, friendo, you up for a stiff drink and a game of Emperor's Tarot? I'm Ward Olipher, and you can trust me, fellow Chaos cultists, just tell me where the meeting is. I'm Enginseer Po, I'm Commissar Keeler, I'm the drunk passed out in the corner who's going to sit up and unload an autopistol into your guts when you let your guard down. I'm a loving astropath who doesn't even need a goddamn name because I'm just window dressing for a trap. I spent a month as Sister Maria Dominia of the Sacred Order of Our Martyred Lady. Don't give me that look, I cut a striking figure in power armour. I've done this a hundred times and I can recite the entire life history of every single one of those people, none of whom ever existed outside of me. They're all just as real as I am, when you think about it.

The only thing I know for sure is that truth is subjective. I've been told that Inquisitor Dukovich is insane. He probably is, but like everything else, crazy is just a point of view. Inquisitor Corde apparently owed him a favor from something they did together a long time ago, and Dukovich was looking for a master of infiltration. I fit the bill. But despite what he says, I don't think my Inquisitor gives a drat about Dukovich. Funny thing about us professional liars, it's hard to lie to us. No, Corde just knows that where Dukovich goes, madness and destruction follow. I think he wants to see me deal with something terrible, something far, far worse than what I've seen in his service so far. He's testing me. Why? I have my suspicions, but it doesn't matter. I can worry about the future when it arrives. So do I care what Dukovich actually wants me to do? Not in the slightest. There's only one thing that matters: who does he want me to be?

I took Mimic as an elite advance; the classes that get it naturally pay 100 xp for it, so I just marked myself down as spending 200 on it. If you want me to pay more, just say so.

pre:
Name: Julio Kierkegaard XII
Homeworld: Noble Born
Career Path: Scum->Charlatan->Inquisitor (Once Ascended)
Background: Impostor
Elite Advances: Cistron
Divination: The Pain of the Bullet is Ecstasy Compared to Damnation (+1 Toughness)

Characteristics:
WS:   27 (20 +7)
BS:   49 (20 +14 +15 Advance)
S:    28 (20 +8)
T:    42 (20 +11 +10 Advance +1 Divination)
Ag:   41 (20 +11 +10)
Int:  37 (20 +7 +10 Advance)
Per:  43 (20 +18 +5 Advance)
WP:   37 (15 +12 +10 Advance)
Fel:  62 (25 +17 +20 Advance)

Wounds: 13 (1 +4 SC)
Fate Points: 1
Insanity: 8 (+8 Cistron)
Corruption: 0

Skills:

Awareness +20
Barter
Blather +20
Carouse
Charm +20
Ciphers (Acolyte)
Common Lore (Imperium)
Concealment
Contortionist
Deceive +20
Disguise +20
Drive (Ground Vehicle)
Dodge +20
Forbidden Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus)
Gamble
Inquiry +10
Intimidate
Literacy
Lip Reading
Medicae
Navigate (Surface)
Pilot (Civilian Craft)
Secret Tongue (Tech)
Search
Security
Scrutiny
Shadowing
Silent Move
Sleight of Hand +10
Speak Language (High Gothic, Low Gothic)
Tech-Use

Talents:

Air of Authority
Ambidextrous
Basic Weapon Training (SP)
Catfall
Deadeye Shot
Gunslinger
Hatred (Adeptus Mechanicus)
Heightened Senses (Sight)
Hip Shooting
Independent Targeting
Marksman
Master Orator
Melee Weapon Training (Primitive)
Mighty Shot
Mimic
Nerves of Steel
Peer (Administratum, Ecclesiarchy, Government, Military, Nobility, Underworld)
Pistol Training (Bolt, Plasma, SP)
Quick Draw
Rapid Reaction
Rapid Reload
Sharpshooter
Step Aside
Talented (Charm, Deceive)
Total Recall
Two Weapon Wielder (Ballistic)
Unremarkable

Traits/Cybernetics:

Easy to Control: -10 WP to resist mind control and interrogation
Etiquette: +10 Charm/Deceive/Scrutiny with high authority and in formal situations
Hunted
Supremely Connected
Vendetta
Wealth

GC Malfian Dermaguise
GC Cybernetic Arm
-GC Concealed Weapon Bionic (Kronos, 6 Reloads)

Gear:

Bolt Pistols w/ RDLS, Fire Selectors (x2)
-48 Standard Shells
-32 Inferno Shells
Spectre w/ RDLS, Silencer
-300 Man-Stopper Bullets
-16 Inferno Shotgun Shells
-20 Cryptus Shotgun Shells
Autogun (1 Clip)
Autopistol (1 Clip)
Club
Knife
GC Magistratum Carapace w/ Hexagrammatic Wards
Full Hardened Body Glove
Quilted Vest
PC Clothing
Multikey
Vox-Pickup
Micro-Bead
Cameleoline Cloak
Medikit
Auspex
Combi-Tool
Grapnel
Magnoculars
Recoil Gloves
Gun-Skull (Compact Mark III Sunfury, 6 Reloads)

Wealth+Class: 252, Noble

Acquisitions: Starting 30400 ((500+50*9)*32)

GC Bolt Pistols x2-1500
RDLS x2-100
Fire Selectors x2-50
GC Spectre-1125
RDLS-50
Silencer-10
GC Magistratum Carapace w/ Hexagrammatic Wards-5800
Full Hardened Body Glove-900
Multikey-150
Man-Stopper Bullets x300-250
Inferno Shotgun Shells x16-288
Cryptus Shotgun Shells x20-200