Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

wyntyr posted:

Shits hosed yo. I'll see if I can get my uncle to tell me some stories but it's basically "everyone's a spouse abusing alcoholic diabetic, that's why I married your blonde haired blue eyed whitebread aunt and never ever looked back"

A wise man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Nekodoshi posted:

I lived on the Navajo Reservation for two years at a Christian mission school.
Imagine miles and miles of gently caress all. Dirt, juniper, the odd oil pump.
People were sweet, they managed to have CD players and CDs, the boys were very quiet and didn't talk to me. The girls and I hit it off immediately and we spent time gossiping, watching DVDs and doing our hair. There was a girl from Poland who would go hiking with me.
We ate a communal dinner made by one of two ladies who ran the joint, both from Louisiana. Boys went home at night, us girls used to stay in a seperate building that had bunk beds, but Vanchesca got caught smoking pot and inviting guys over so we all had to sleep upstairs in the main building, which was a giant geodesic dome. We would get up around 6, then head downstairs to go to school, which also functioned as a church on sundays. Sermons were in Navajo so I kinda blanked out, being the resident whitey.
Houses out there are usually run-down plywood and stucco affairs, one girl lived with 10 other people in a 2 room house with a dirt floor.
It was dead quiet, day or night. I did homework or read for entertainment, except the time I snuck my PS2 out there to play Kingdom Hearts at night. To help break up the quiet we'd listen to music like Lifehouse or ZOEgirl, DC talk, and when the teachers weren't around, DMX and Korn.
Whelp, that's my story.

This is a good post. Thank you :)

• Locked thread