Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

88h88 posted:

I love how they're 'truck/4x4' wheels. Also I'm sad at how cheap they are in the US. They're double that in £ if I want some. :(
They are as long as you want them in Land Rover fitment. £35 including VAT. I even saw silver ones in "generic 4x4 six stud" (ie Toyota and the like) for twenty!

Weller (now there's a name from the past for any :britain::corsair: goons) still sell stuff, but they're not the cheap option they used to be.

gently caress white 8 spoke steelies though, they look horrible on almost anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Nah, I mean the generic star pattern what's the cheapest wheel and tyre package for my CJ5 aftermarket tat.

They just look so :effort:.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That's exactly how they are, that's not cosplay.
Isn't one of the rules for Goodwood that you have to be in period dress?

Cosplayers are generally pretty normal in the UK anyway. It's also funny as gently caress seeing people's reactions to half the cast of Full Metal Alchemist going round Tesco on a booze run.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

stump posted:

I'm currently watching The Craft. Still as good as it was when I first watched it as randy teenager with a thing for goth girls.
I went through all of Initial D this week. The original stuff shows its age, but it's still just so much fun. :3:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That becomes a gray area due to me being the youngest of five, it would be much better to have a transaction take place.
Sounds like a pretty good test case to find out how much of a dick any given sibling is, assuming none of them have a valid (i.e. they play and have room) reason for wanting the piano themselves. If it'd just be "why are you giving them something that's worth $inheritence?" :qq:, then tell them to pull their head out their rear end.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Tide, I think if you just play it straight, it'll work out.

And next time you're going to buy a bottle of whiskey, spend the money on a Lego kit or something and build it with your kid.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Siochain posted:

Don't hate electric smokers :P
If Lucas made one, would it work or not?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

All I'm hearing is super-heavy class hovercraft racing.
Mountbatten class for everyone!

I remember taking the hovercraft across the channel as a kid on a family holiday. Didn't really appreciate how impressive they were at the time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

keykey posted:

I think I need to make another bad decision. How would a land rover discovery fare for tooling around BLM land?
Which generation?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

keykey posted:

I have no idea, please educate me. I was looking at a mid-late 90's model with a manual. Although something tells me those are fools gold.
That would be either a later "300" series 1 (the generation that goes with the 300TDi, though I assume yours would be a V8), which takes you up to 1998, or a series 2 that would have a TD5 if diesel (but again, I would expect yours to be a V8). They're very similar on a basic level.

S1 Discos are very much a Range Rover classic underneath, with the good and bad that comes with that. The chassis can rust a bit, the bodies rust a lot. S2 ones share more components with the later P38 Range Rover, are less prone to rust, and could be had with stuff like ACE (Active Cornering Enhancement - hydraulic rams on the anti-roll bars push back against body roll) and the Hill Descent Control from the Freelander. They also rust less, and the V8 is nominally "better" - the S1's 3.9 and the S2's 4.0 are actually identical capacity, the difference is things like bigger main bearings and cross-bolted mains. You can get a 4.6 as well.

Both manuals are the 5-speed R380, transfer cases are the permanent 4WD LT230.

People will tell you that they removed the centre diff lock in the S2, which is sort of true - they did, but for the first few years it was still physically there in the transfer case, they just deleted the linkage, and you can fit one if you wish.

They are pretty drat effective off-road, and despite not being the last word in reliability (especially for niggly little poo poo), have the basics right, such as a proper full box-section chassis rather than C-channel, and fully floating axles.

The main advantage to a Disco S1 here in the UK is that they share parts with the other coil-sprung stuff, so spares and mods are piss cheap, which is less of the case in the US. You really need someone from that side of the pond to comment on "ownership experience" stuff.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

keykey posted:

All that is great to know. I'm in CA so no doubt my ownership experience would be different in the US than in the UK. But the saving grace is most people here use them as grocery getters/kid haulers and not really off road so I should be able to find one with minimal to no rust underneath and not beat to death. I was going to spray an undercoat on to seal off the rust portion and you're correct the v-8 is what I'm looking at because I can't seem to find any diesels without going into Defender territory. Should I look at an earlier Range Rover or an S1 Discovery? What would be the positives/negatives of either build?
Ok, I am not an expert on Discos, but the below is what I do know, or at the very least is reasonably well-founded grapevine material.

Yeah, you won't find any (legal) diesels in the US, as only the first couple of years are under the 25 year inport rule. The Rover V8 has been owned by several posters (if you look at Tomarse's 101 thread, he has a later RV8 in his Forward Control), and while my opinion is that the engine has it's popularity from being the only common UK V8 rather than actually being particularly brilliant, they're not actively terrible either.

I'd be inclined to go with a Series 1 Disco as more of a "toy" than a daily driver. They have largely the same advantages of a Range Rover Classic, but you can get newer ones, and they're likely to be cheaper to buy.

Rust: Like the Range Rover Classic, the Disco's "aluminium" body is actually aluminium panelling hung on a steel frame, and this frame is what rusts. The really critical stuff is the body mount areas, which are under the front grille, immediately in front of the footwells, at the front and rear of the sills/rockers, and behind the rear bumper under the rear door. The box section rots out, the boxed-out mounting points rot out, and the body in that are (or the entire thing) drops a few inches until it's resting on the chassis. Some posters may remember the pictures of the absolutely :staredog: example I stupidly bought a while back.

The chassis is most likely to rust around the rear end, the general rule for Land Rovers is that anything within fling distance of the engine and gearbox is automatically rust-proofed by leaks.

A car which has lived the suburban life may not have ever been in low range or had the diff locked, and the transfer shifter may be somewhat stuck. It's likely to be the linkage, and solved by lubrication and working it about, but definitely see if you can move it if you go look at one, it's a negotiation point if nothing else.

Axles aren't massively strong, they're not a Dana 35 or anything, but in the US you lack the option of being able to easily grab a Salisbury (basically a Dana 60) out of a LWB Defender to go in there. However, as mentioned, they're fully floating, so if you snap a shaft, it won't lose a wheel. The rear axle on the later S1s uses a Giubo joint to the propshaft, nothing particularly wrong with that, but it won't like the angles on a lifted vehicle. You can just unbolt it and swap to a U-joint type though. Double carden props are available aftermarket.

Front axle uses CVs at the steering ends, inside chromed swivel balls similar to the style Toyota use. A major advantage to the Rover design is that they bolt on, they aren't welded to the axle tube, so rusty ones are a swap-out job, not a condemned axle.

Brakes are pretty good. Discs all round. Four piston up front, two at the rear, transmission handbrake. Which you will remember just as you jack up one rear wheel on a slope, and the open diff allows the truck to make a break for freedom.

Suspension is pretty simple. Coils all round, front end located with radius arms and a panhard rod. While the Series 2 ran the same out back (but with watt's linkage), the Series 1 is a three-link with two lower arms and a triangular upper centre ball pivot. With the anti-roll bar detatched, they will really follow the terrain well.

Standard tyres on a Disco are 29" (235/70R16) - the drivetrain hardware is the same as on a SWB Defender and 32" is perfectly "normal", but you're going to hit your bodywork. Speaking of hitting bodywork, the rear overhang is likely first thing to catch off-road, unless you have a towbar.

Now, I like Land Rovers, but I have the benefit of being in the UK, where you can fnd parts cheaply and easily (occasionally literally lying in a hedge), so they make more sense than a Jeep, but in the states that's not necessarily the case. I think you need to get the perspective of Americans whove run/worked on/modified them to make that call.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Funny enough, there is a guy nearby that converts Discos to Diesel with VW/Mercedes motors and even has Disco OEM diesel engines.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/pts/5784804831.html
Hmm, don't the federal authorities take a very dim view of fitting non-US-compliant engines to stuff? You could have 300TDIs or Disco front-cuts on pallets out the UK any time you want, but my understanding was that it's something that either gets stopped at customs, or sees you getting a severe bumming when they do find out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

No. Generally, nobody cares outside of cities that do emissions testing, and that Disco is old enough to be exempt in this state.
Hmm, interesting.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Dogchat: you have my sympathy, dude, but take solace in the fact that dogs don't have a concept of this kind of thing. If not in pain, they have no issue from the psychological/emotional effects people get from knowing they're disabled or on the way out. They just get on with it as best they can until they can't.

On top of the general maxim that the more people you meet, the more you appreciate dogs.

Cakefool posted:

Great, just got a call from the wife, clutch has gone bang. Silver lining,
Sounds expensive. :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd say dead hydraulics/snapped cable, depending on design, or if you're less lucky, the release bearing has pushed past/behind the actuator/release fork (some are just stamped steel and pretty weak).

Personal favourite example was the Frontera. Master cylinder not actuated because the bulkhead where the pedal mounted was cracked and peeling away when pressed... And it was a double-layer panel, so looked absolutely fine from the engine bay side.

• Locked thread