Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
HELLO PEOPLE OF TOMORROW LAND.
HOW IS THE WEATHER OVER THERE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
So since we're in the rust chat thread...

I want a beach vehicle... something lovely with 4wd that can handle sand and won't matter much if it vaporizes into rust or gets stucked out to sea.
Suggestions?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Coredump posted:

Goddamn, if we're going to start this stupid poo poo I might as well. Beans in chilli yes/no?

That's a good way to get yourself lynched in TX.

I like both. But I do not like beans in my TX chili.

kastein posted:

e: might as well. Beans go in chili, HOAs suck, guns are cool and fun, and I'm not going to bother to argue about any of this, if you disagree oh well have fun.

I have no opinion on burgers and hotdogs being sandwiches or not. They're good and I eat them, I don't care what you call them particularly.

To be honest I wasn't really expecting it. Long story short, I went to a college friend's wedding. We had lived together right after college for like 2 years (not in any sort of a relationship), she moved to california and met a dude. I got invited to the wedding, hadn't gone to one in literally decades so I said what the hell, I'll go. She'd tried to introduce me to her dude's sister previously but said sister was 3 thousand miles away and I was like "wtf, no way that will work" and we both forgot the conversation even happened. Anyways, I go to the wedding and accidentally hit it off with her now sister-in-law, cleared my schedule and spent the entire week I was out there with her instead of meeting AI goons like I said I was going to (this was last fall when I went to California.) Turns out she was about to graduate college with an EE degree after escaping the drudgery of customer service and her lease was ending and she didn't have a job lined up yet, so she drove out here and moved in. Yes, after we'd known each other in person for a grand total of one week. We were a bit apprehensive but so far so good!

The really odd part? Her brother is an AI and TFR lurker. She used to be on SA too but hasn't bothered with the forums in years.

Related: we're going to be in Seattle from the 10th through the 18th for one of her friends weddings and should be up for dinner/junkyarding/random fun stuff with any local AI goons. I posted about this on the FB group but forgot to put it here too.

This is the cutest goddamn thing I have ever read in these forums :allears:

And yeah gently caress HOA

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 1, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Previa_fun posted:

RIP Ducky Shine 3. You were no match for a cat and a glass of water.

I dug this old cheapass Logitech keyboard out of the closet and typing feels gross as heck. Just ordered a Shine 5 (brown switches natch) to replace the dead keyboard.

So what are you doing with that dead shine3?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Re: clay shooting

Go get yourself a remington 870. I picked up one with the youth stock, it's shorter and has a nicer rubber pad. It's also stupid cheap.
I like the short stock because it's easier to shoulder quickly without hanging on clothes. Not that you HAVE to, but I like to have my back turned to the range when the clays are pulled.

If you want a challenge, pick up a nice long double barrel 12 gauge, and slap a choke in there. Aim the clays down and away and wait till they apex before you shoulder your gun.
That is a tough loving shot.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

iwentdoodie posted:

I started with an 870. Now I shoot pretty much exclusively with a Beretta OU that I won in a raffle, because no way would I pay that much for a loving gun.

The over/under just feels so much nicer for clays.

:agreed:

My dad's got some old-rear end french made 12GA over under that is :perfect:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

iwentdoodie posted:

That Beretta is the perfect example of why we need better laws though, because I won it in a raffle when I was 16. Gun was just handed to me after my ticket got called.

God bless oil field events and lax gun laws, I guess.

Eh... I would hope that by 16 you could be expected to be responsible with a little ol gun.
I mean for gently caress's sake you get a driver's license and you can do a hell of a lot more damage with one of those than a shotgun.

If anything we need more stringent driving laws.
Although I guess in a few years it won't matter anyway since nobody will be allowed to drive. There's no Amendment for "Right to Drive"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

meatpimp posted:

Absolutely. Valves bend easier than rods.

Okay nerds, riddle me this -- I am painting my family room. I have some in-wall speakers with metal mesh grilles. My wife hates the speakers and wants them to blend in as much as possible. I'm okay with that.

My thought is that there should be a way to get a paint color that is the same, but lighter, for the grilles so that counteracts the darkness of the open space in the mesh. Have any of you seen that done before? Googling has produced nothing of value.

Just put some mesh fabric behind the grills? Don't paint the fabric though, your speakers will sound like poo poo. Unless they already sound lovely, then go for it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I'm broke and shopping on craigslist.

Someone stop me.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/ele/5758735516.html

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/5706279510.html

edit: I've already got all of those things. But now I want two of all of those things.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Someone had a bad morning...

yeah that's the cabin on fire... not the engine.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Garage Chat:

I'm about to epoxy my garage floor. Turns out that acid etching probably won't be good enough. Can I use a grinder attachment on my buffer?
I've got a Makita 9227c. Not really sure if it's up to the task or not...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
It'll only see motorcycles and I'm moving in 5 years or less. I'm not too concerned with how it holds up long term.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 5, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
So I did a thing:

Cost me $200 to rent the buffer and both grinding disks: one for sealant removal the other for concrete prep.
Epoxy inbound.

Stay tuned for details.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

fridge corn posted:

And I even had a first gen ps1

Do you still have it? I need a CD player.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Cage posted:

Anyone here read Premier Guitar magazine? I just won a friggen $1700 Taylor 12 string acoustic guitar from a contest my mom entered me in. From the affidavit I signed it looks like I might have to take a picture with the gear to appear in the magazine.

This is what I got: https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/ga3-12

Plus an extra set of elixir strings!

This is pretty awesome. That is a very nice guitar.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

kastein posted:

This white truck has a 100% clean carfax, and I was involved in an at-fault collision while driving it that resulted in a claim* in February of 2011.

* claim against my insurance. I never filed a claim since I could fix the damage to my POS for a few cases of beer worth of body panels from friends and knew it'd be totaled instantly if an adjuster saw it, and that I'd probably get $100 and even higher rates than I was going to anyways as a result of the accident.

I view autocheck/carfax as a silly thing I might do if I can find a way to get one free before looking at a vehicle in person... that's about it. A friend's old e28 turned out to have horrifically bad cut-n-shut front bodywork repair (cut and booger welded uniframe rails, inner fenders, the whole nine yards) even though its autocheck was 100% clean. We only found the bad unibody repairs when parting it out.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Geirskogul posted:

DO WE HAVE ANY PHOTOGRAPHY GOONS I AM NOT GOOD WITH CAMERA

I bought this camera from a goon. Combined with this lens, total was $140. It's a 45-200 (real talk: 90-400 because 2x crop factor, if I"m understanding this correctly) lens.

I needed a standard lens or two for it, so I got smashed and bought THESE lenses.

Now, what I know so far:

The olympus is a standard, bottom-of-the-good-barrel lens, with a bit of barrel distortion that most four-thirds cameras take care of in internal software anyway. It's wider angle, but an okay "street" lens, and the "17mm" is equivalent to a 35mm, well, 35mm lens, which is what I learned what little photography I know on. So, it's okay, but has no internal image stabilization because olympus puts that in their camera bodies.

The TOKINA lens is special. The seller posts the following about it (warning: verbose)

What I get, other than manual focus (I'm okay with this) is that this is the closest to a 55mm "prime" (in 35mm terms?) lens as I can get for under $100 (it was about $80).

How bad did I gently caress up? If I did, I'll just turn around and flip the things, because lens prices are cray cray, holy poo poo like 2x the value of the camera.

All I want to do is take better pictures of projects, and will probably use auto (panasonic: "iA") mode 99% of the time. I putzed around in photography classes, and actually made eyeglasses (along with doing refractive exams) for six years, so basic, basic concepts like f-stop and aperture and poo poo aren't totally lost on me, but I'm totally not a photographer.

I'm very into photography and I think you hosed up when you bought the camera. Should bought a Nikon :colbert: Sorry bro.
I say you try it, and if you like it, then keep it. If not then sell it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Pham Nuwen posted:

Knowing the equivalent of a 35mm nifty-fifty is useful because that's a drat useful lens to have.

Also I don't just have a crop body :smuggo:

Medium-format film cameras like the Yashica are a pretty good photographic bang for your buck... $100 for a camera with a "sensor size" of 6x6cm

Do you develop your own film? I need a good source for chemicals when I finish my garage.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Pham Nuwen posted:

I develop my own black and white film. I get all my equipment from Freestyle Photographic Supplies, partly because I started when I was in California and they ship out of Los Angeles so it was fast, and partly because they have good prices, and partly because I love their Arista EDU film (it's just rebranded Foma, they used to sell rebranded Tri-X as Arista Premium but that's discontinued).

I bought all my starter gear from them except for a set of graduated cylinders which I got from Amazon. I've since assembled more stuff piecemeal from Ebay and craigslist, including an 8-roll stainless steel dev tank (it holds 1.5 liters IIRC), some large paper developing trays, and an Omega D2 enlarger.

That's a decent setup. I also used to get stuff from Freestyle. they stopped sending me catalogs though :(
I do love me some Tri-x though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rhyno posted:

Convince them to gift you the piano. Then sell it and buy a car with the money.

Or you could buy a Reliant Robin and put them both to good use.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

scuz posted:

Guys I hate computers so much why did I get a degree in computers and commit to working in IT for the rest of my life please send help.

I spent 4 years in college trying actively to avoid getting a job in IT.
It still hunted me down and caught me.
:(

I just want to be one of the idiot users who can't do their jobs and gets to blame everything on IT.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ether Frenzy posted:

I have a sociology degree from a small liberal arts college and I'm a Director of Software Engineering at a fairly huge and extremely well-known tech company. :downs:

Like I said previously, I spent my entire college career trying to avoid IT.
BA in Communication Studies with a Minor in French. (Would have been a double major but I got suspended for a year and came back under a new curriculum)

I've been working IT for 5 years now :eng99:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

scuz posted:

I don't YOSPOS cuz I don't need more computer.

Yeah. I'm already computer as gently caress.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

TLDR: Hated working on cars professionally, ended up doing nothing but work on cars professionally.

This is probably the best thing about working IT. I can hate my job and not ruin any of my passions.
I still love photography, and working on motorcycles even though I haven't done much of either lately.
I'm starting to get a little disenchanted with cooking. BUT THANK loving GOD I'm not forced to do any of them to make a living. Or, I would probably hate them all.

...actually looking back. Working on motorcycles was the best job I've ever had.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Raise your eyes my son and get the Bosch universal mixer. I scored mine from a special buy at Costco and got the cookie paddles, and some other attachments for a smoking deal. My wife has since made it her hobby to bake treats. Between the Bosch, a half dozen cookie sheets with silpats and our double ovens she will rip out like 72+ cookies in about an hour. Our neighbor's all love us because we share most of what's made. At any given point we have 12-20 pounds of butter on hand and ~10 pounds of varied ghirardelli chocolate chips.

Sup baking buddy? I just made some 10 loaves of banana bread the other night.
The wifey said "we're out of flour?!?!" at which point I informed her that any of the several WHITE 5 gallon buckets are full of flour. The orange ones are for sugar.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 14, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

the spyder posted:

I've been hiding our over-rip banana's in the fridge for months... I should have enough for 5-6 loaves.

You bring it to work and watch everyone get fat. All 10 loaves gone in 2 days between 8 people.

QuarkMartial posted:

How do you keep it all from spoiling?

The bread or the ingredients? The answer to both is you don't. You just make a LOT of baked goods and give them all away. People seem to really like getting free delicious baked goods. And I seem to really like baking them, so it's a win/win.
The most expensive ingredient is usually eggs and I don't mind spending $10 to feed a dozen people or so with leftovers.
I mean, if you're gonna turn on the oven, you might as well fill it to the brim.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I don't know where things are going to lead but then again I never intended to make a living working on cars, let alone specializing in classic British cars.

well... thank Lucas for keeping you in business I suppose.
You could always become an electrician if things don't work out.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

This is glorious.

Re: VA vehicles...
MD will likely have an acceptable selection for you. Most of my cars have come from northern VA, or Richmond craigslist and I've never really had a significant problem with rust.
Stay away from VA beach, Southern MD and Eastern Shore VA actually have surprisingly good offerings sometimes.
This isn't PA. PA is hosed. You know what rust looks like, just take a peak and judge for yourself. Don't buy a 20+ year old Toyota truck and you're probably gonna be fine.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 16, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Magnus Praeda posted:

Neither tea nor coffee should ever be served below 140°F. :colbert:

mmmmmm I don't know... I brew my tea in direct sunlight with split stalks of sugar cane and it tastes pretty good to me.

Edit: oh god I drank way too much everclear way too fast.

Double edit: I pooped. I'm good.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 17, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

blk posted:

Sun tea is great. Generally speaking American bagged tea is much better iced than hot. Wild mint and other stuff grows a lot in my neck of the woods so I usually throw a fistful of herbs into my sun tea pitcher.

Sugar or milk in tea or coffee is for children and cowards. This includes you, Commonwealth goons.

sup tea goon?

We used to grow mint in the back yard to toss into our sun tea. Wild strawberries, dandelions and buttercups also make great additions.
I will literally gently caress you up if you dis on sugar though.
No good tea comes without a touch of diabetes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Geirskogul posted:

I interrupt this pun broadcast for an emergency bulletin. Again, we say, WHAT THE gently caress GUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb_BURLuI70

I love discovering a new channel, and I think I'll put another effortpost in with links to their channel pages soon. I have maybe 60 that I subscribe to, which is enough for at least two-four new, good videos a day. Youtube is my new TV.

This is amazing. What's even more amazing is that for some reason when it first played it was slightly slower and the audio sounded all hosed up and 8-bit like an old nintendo game which only made it better.
What happens in the saddle, stays in the saddle.

ExplodingSims posted:

Hey, you know what's really fun? CHEMICAL BURNS.

Whats even more fun? The ER visit after the fact.

Don't gently caress around with this. I lost a lot of foot skin to really strong muriatic acid SLOWLY over the course of several days because I was an idiot. It burned like fire for over a week and itched for months.
Miraculously, I still have a foot.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 20, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I got two of these about four years ago and they have worked surprisingly well with our iPhones: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PPGOC0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I think that how well they work depends on how crowded your FM channels are in your area. I found a good frequency. They pair easily and accurately, you can actually use them as a handsfree device and talking to people on the phone say that the quality is decent enough. At $35 I figured I didn't have much to lose.

Yesterday's dinner was a total success in large part because of my wife. I like big butts and I cannot lie

Spent just over 12 hours on the smoker. We took some to two different friends who recently had new babies. My wife made home made rolls, green salad, baked potatoes and fresh cookies. I cooked some fresh green beans to go along. I am irrationally excited for my lunch today because the only thing better than fresh BBQ is day after BBQ.

Everyone should get a pellet smoker and smoke meats. It changes your life.

I've got a large barrel with an offset smoke box. I just let that roll until the shoulder is nice and smokey (so like 8-10 hours) then toss it in the dutch oven and let it melt to bits.
You can pull my pork with a spoon.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Holy poo poo. I randomly thought about Francis Gary Powers yesterday evening. Followed by Samuel Morse.
Am I psychic?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

NitroSpazzz posted:

Found a dongle that plugs into the back where the CD changer goes. Also picked one up for the girlfriends truck. We'll see if we can get them setup and working this weekend. Solid connection has to be better than bluetooth and/or FM.

drat I wanna eat that rear endshoulder

ftfy

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Shampoo posted:

A billion years ago I had an Instagram account and when FB bought them (sometime in 2012) I deleted my account. Well, it turns out that Instagram doesn't "delete" accounts, like ever, so what they actually did is ban me! And they banned me so thoroughly that I can't even create a new account! I've tried brand new google voice numbers, brand new empty email address, everything. The only thing I can think of is that I've been doing it on my phone with Facebook, and since they're the same company now Instagram "knows" that it's me and won't let me create an account.

I'm actually impressed at how completely I'm banned.

So, since it was so long ago, I'm trying the old "play dumb" methodology. "I haven't used this account in years (true) and can't log in now (true) can you help?"

When I submitted my ticket they actually responded back with "send us a photo of you holding a sign with these numbers and your name and user name on it before we can see if we can help"

wow... thats impressive?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Tusen Takk posted:

shittttt why did i shut my computer down nooooo now i can't remote in

Doesn't teamviewer support wake-on-lan?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Tusen Takk posted:

it is looking like my nav test trip will not involve a Hellcat now :(

instead it will involve a certain electronic vehicle that is v fast

did someone say cat hell?

http://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2016/09/82-live-cats-5-dead-animals-seized-at-falls-church-home/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Still haven't got to mine yet :ohdear:

uhhhhh.... HAHAHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

88h88 posted:

Waiting eagerly to see how poo poo my name change is

My guesses are "made ya look" or "cartoon butthole"

• Locked thread