Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

New houses, new jobs, sounds like 2016 is doing okay.

And gently caress car dealers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

West SAAB Story posted:

Sorry for the delayed response- I don't come here every few hours, anymore. :)

Followed by 12 posts in 18 hours. Yep, Viggen's back. :D

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:wtf:

Oh, right now the twitter page doesn't exist... I think you were talking about this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37247077

That's not going to help the current stories about how Musk is a cash incinerator.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-hot-stock-is-the-markets-biggest-brewing-bubble-2016-09-01

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 1, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

69 year old student in my class. He begins presenting a tired argument in support of gun ownership with the "definition of a militia is..." and goes on to explain the origins of the American Revolution. I told him the counter argument is that we're a couple hundred years past that, the militia was proposed to prevent government overreach and if a well-regulated militia stood up to the government today, armed to the teeth with the finest weaponry allowed by whatever "law" you abide, it could still be crushed like a bug with a single drone strike.

He absolutely did not get my point and asked me to explain after class. :suicide:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5LpwO-An4

I try... all the time... in this institution.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

And no, you are not Al Qaeda or ISIS. You are not that well trained.

(or as well supplied with current US Military vehicles, weapons, gear and supplies that the US left in Iraq :drat: )

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Some good points. I'm not anti-gun, but I am anti-gun-nut, and anti-racist-using-gun-support-as-a-veil.

Over the past 30 years, the gun argument has changed from "our right to hunt/protect property" to a scaredy-cat "they're coming for me" where "they" is an unspecified, nebulous boogeyman. I guess I'm anti-gun-because-of-fear and more pro-gun as a tool.

Pham Nuwen posted:

but, like, everyone stood up and clapped when he laid that sick talking point on the old man

Believe me, I'm far from caring what a bunch of late-teens, early-twenties students think of my thoughts and ideas. I suppress my personal views most of the time, but when someone is clearly right-wing talking point preaching, the counterargument usually brings the discussion back in line. :D

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 1, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Pham Nuwen posted:

My favorite part is when you can tell the guy's nipples got a little hard writing it out: "Oh yeah, your puny little militia will be crushed by our strong tanks, god those treads squeezing the blood from your pulped body FFFFFFFFFF yeah your tiny dick-pistols got nothing on drone strikes, oooooh drone strike *me*, Obama-sempai!"

As is my point in class -- current discussions are little more than "one extreme or the other," all-or-nothing pissing, instead of an actual discussion. Thanks for proving my point.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Pham Nuwen posted:

That's probably not going to get a ton of argument from SA gun owners. Besides, it worked for the Black Panthers, up until Reagan enacted some ridiculously strict gun control in California specifically because of them: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/09/the-secret-history-of-guns/308608/

"Ridiculously strict" is not being able to open carry a loaded firearm in public (Mulford Act)? :thumbsup:

Don't forget, the god of the Republican Right, Reagan, also took away machine guns.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Pham Nuwen posted:

With open carry off the table, the only legal way to bear arms in California was concealed carry. In California, the issuance of a concealed carry permit is subject to the approval of local law enforcement, who decide if there is "sufficient cause" to issue the permit. There are no true guidelines determining sufficient cause; in rural counties, it can be pretty easy to get a permit. In densely-populated areas, the only people who get permits are judges, celebrities, and people who donated enough to the Sheriff's election campaign.

How many concealed carry permits do you think the Oakland Police Department issued to black people, when the Black Panther Party was formed in large part in response to the abuses of that very police department?

So yeah, I'd call a law that effectively strips a constitutional right pretty ridiculous.

Edit: I'm sorry, IOC. I know better than to argue guns in AI, I'm just :spergin: sometimes

You're conflating history to make a more histrionic point than there is. Reagan got rid of open carry loaded in '67. THAT'S what you said was "ridiculously strict." It wasn't until '12 that open carry at all became law.

And since I started gun chat, here's my offer to help change the topic:

A glass cylinder head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrWpF6YiSDs

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 2, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Nodoze posted:

Bay Area AI friends, anyone know a good place for my friend to take her Rav4 to get a water pump, or wanna make a quick buck doing it themselves? She texted me and said the dealer wanted 900 bucks to do it and well.. yeah

If it's a 2GR-FE V6 in a '05-12 RAV4, that job is a bitch. I had it coming up on my wife's '08 V6 and that's one of the reasons I sold it... I didn't want to do that nasty rear end job.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

Friend of mine drove her HHR through a salt water flood during our little hurricane and stalled it. Turns over but there's no knocking. Had it towed to her mechanic and he said the valves might be bent so he's gonna take the head off and check......Is it even possible to bend just the valves and not rods after ingesting water?

Absolutely. Valves bend easier than rods.

Okay nerds, riddle me this -- I am painting my family room. I have some in-wall speakers with metal mesh grilles. My wife hates the speakers and wants them to blend in as much as possible. I'm okay with that.

My thought is that there should be a way to get a paint color that is the same, but lighter, for the grilles so that counteracts the darkness of the open space in the mesh. Have any of you seen that done before? Googling has produced nothing of value.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 2, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Congratulations, blk! Sorry about your lack of sleep for the forthcoming year and a half.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

West SAAB Story posted:

Thank god I have my personal assistant back to keep affairs in order- it was awful having to maintain things all on my lonesome. I want another Ferd 500 shirt, BTW- they cut the one off when I went on the copter.

The FAV HUNNERT shirts are all gone. I could probably scare up a Motorcraft one, though.

bandman posted:

Fixed that for you :v:

Your fix is, sadly, correct.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Garage Chat:

I'm about to epoxy my garage floor. Turns out that acid etching probably won't be good enough. Can I use a grinder attachment on my buffer?
I've got a Makita 9227c. Not really sure if it's up to the task or not...

I've never seen an epoxy painted garage floor hold up, even with proper prep and cure times. I'm in Ohio, so floors see some rough conditions.

The only coating I've seen actually work is an epoxy slurry. I want that so badly, but time/cost/priorities. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Wrar posted:

As Cat Terrist requested:

At least it was a drive-side picture. But the gear selection and crank placement is shameful.

(Nice bike, I rode a Felt as my main a couple years back and it fit and rode fantastically well.)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Enourmo posted:

Goddamn 7:30 class is bad enough but apparently had a "self study day" scheduled for today.

I ALREADY GOT OUT OF BED FOR THIS, YOU MOTHERFUCKERS.

So... you don't pay attention to the schedule?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Enourmo posted:

I've never had just a straight up "no class today" before, it's not something I'd ever think to check. It doesn't show up on the assignment due date calender, which is what I usually check, just marked in the syllabus somewhere.

Ah, so it's listed in the syllabus... but you didn't read the syllabus that closely, so you missed it. Gotcha.

In other news -- did literally a fish get caught up in an American gunfight on a local street and die? His epic trip is going very scarcely documented. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cage posted:

I wouldnt want to engage in that type of stuff in the US since aveneues are so sketchy, but when I was in Toronto a few months ago I exercised their lack of criminalization. Went to a website, picked a girl, called a number and made an appointment. Went to a rather nice hotel in downtown Toronto and had some fun.

I also texted some guy on craigslist that was selling weed delivery services but I was kind of in a hurry and couldnt wait up. Canada is great.

I don't know if this is more red-title worthy or cringe-inducing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cage posted:

You don't know because its neither. Don't be a butt, life is too short to be snarky at random people on the internet.

Wrong. "Canada is great, I love it because I can pay women to have sex with me and get weed delivery" is a terrible statement to make non-ironically.

literally a fish posted:

Not dead, just been busy & not doing things that are particularly AI except for having put 5500 miles on this rental car

Congratulations on not dying in America! (yet). Still no burnout video from the rental car? :smith:

Phone posted:

it's called ephebophilia

I had to look it up. That's... oddly specific.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Safety Dance posted:

Weed delivery would be pretty amazing. Why do you hate fun?

You have a valid point about weed delivery. I don't hate fun, it's just when fun gets all nerdy and human-trafficy that I mind.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

nm posted:

Oh god, are we really having a prostitution discussion in AI?

I don't think there's much of a discussion to have. Nobody grows up telling their parents "I want to be a whore." It is scraping the bottom of human behavior barrel and anyone associated is either socially maladjusted or being preyed-upon. Perhaps both.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

In other, less sad people paying to gently caress other sad people news, I found a solution to my in-wall speaker grille painting problem.

I had Sherwin Williams mix up a sample of the color I'm using for my wall, but using half the pigment. It ended up the same tone, but lighter (obviously). Then I took an old spray bottle that had a wide, dispersed spray pattern, added paint and diluted it about 50/50 with water and sprayed away.

The perforated holes in the grilles immediately closed up, leaving the grilles looking like a blotchy mess. After a moment to think :wtf: , I got the air spraying thing for the compressor and set the compressor at ~25psi. I sprayed the grilles and kept moving/spraying until the holes stopped closing up.

loving worked great. I could have gone even lighter, the grilles don't entirely blend in, but it's definitely viable. :)

Edit: Pic:

The blotch is something on my lens. There's a solatube above, and it's sunny today, so at that angle it looks shiny, but it's standard satin finish. You can see that the grille looks close to the surrounding color, but it's really significantly lighter. Proof of concept, I'm happy.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 6, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

If you're not playing Legion, you're missing out on the best expansion of Warcraft since The Burning Crusade.

Blizzard should know by now -- they always do better when their stuff has demons.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That's an easy one. It was a twisty, public road. He took the corner too fast and wrecked. It would be difficult for the insurance, even with the video, to make an argument for an "exhibition of speed" clause. All the other cars were stopped, it wasn't a race, it was just stupidity. Insurance pays out for stupidity.

:rip: his insurance rates after that, though, because it'll be coded really ugly in the insurance system.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cage posted:

Drive to the gym
After two weeks of the gym they get down to medium battery

Cage posted:

edit: I know Im not the only one whos earbuds would be tangled literally every time I went to the gym, too.

Cage posted:

You're lying if you've never had small ear buds get tangled up in a mess or get in your way at the gym.

Do you even lift, bro.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeah bullshit it doesnt have problems. If Garmin can make ANT+ work better, BT is hosed.

ANT+ is a kludge and Garmin's implementation of it is terrible. I had nothing but trouble with stock Garmin accessories giving continuous readings. The Wahoo came out with combo BT/ANT+ accessories and I've never had a problem. PLUS the same accessories work with the KICKR using BT.

Edit: I found an old backup CD that was damaged, but I managed to pull a lot of stuff off of it. 20 year old emails are pretty fun to read. How about Papyrus hooking me up with multiplayer beta testing their racing games. Funny how things have changed.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 8, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cage posted:

:siren: :siren: MEATPIMP TRIGGER WARNING :siren: :siren:

:siren: :siren: MEATPIMP TRIGGER WARNING :siren: :siren:

I should probably hit the gym tonight.

You're awfully touchy... I guess that's why you have to go out of the country to pay women to let them put your dick inside them.

nm posted:

Carfax is a blacklist, not a whitelist. Tells you what cars to avoid, but not the ones to buy.

Yep. Carfax is a tool. It can be valuable, but it's just one factor in a car evaluation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tide posted:

Gatdang, son...let it go

He wants to call me with sirens and caps and all... well, it wouldn't be like me to not respond. :D

I'm looking for a recessed TV mount for a 70" screen. It's between studs, so that's good. I have no idea what is good in recessed wall mounts, though. Anyone have any experience? EDIT: Nevermind. Spacing between studs is non-standard 10"... that's gonna gently caress the whole install, I think.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 8, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cage posted:

Your name is meatpimp cmon.

Exactly. I can provide high quality meat. You, however, seem to only be able to interpret "pimp" using the "prostitute exploitation" definition, with which you are most experienced.

Now please, stop sullying my name by dropping out of your filthy mouth.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

nm posted:

Dude, don't judge how I use your pork butts.

You've got to admit -- it's damned high quality. Hopefully you used some soy sauce and onions.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

both front and rear hits missed the bumpers, it must have been squished between 2 brotrucks.

Both damaged and repaired pics seem to be taken by the same lot and have the same watermark. Carfax relies on reporting from damage repair facilities... any way you look at it, this is a sketchy sale/company, because they KNEW about damage and didn't disclose, regardless of Carfax reporting, which they didn't do.

This example is more an indictment of shady dealers than carfax. I'd be curious to see the Autocheck report for it (I don't know if they do Cananadian cars, though). I've seen information show up on Autocheck that's not on Carfax and vice versa. Every car has a different history... it's your job as a buyer to explore until you're comfortable and the VIN check services certainly have their place.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 9, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I have been trying to get more than 20 years of data in various sources collected into one place so I can centrally store/access things.

I resurrected my old main system that I built in... drat, like 2000 or 2001? It's got an Asus P4P800 motherboard and I've pirated parts from it over the years and used it for different testing. When I started yesterday, 4 of the 7 drives were unplugged, including 2 in the group of 3 I have set up in an array. I didn't think there was a lot of hope in getting it to boot, but after about 4 tries, I got the cable sequence correct and... hello Windows XP and my desktop from 2006.

In it, I found my favorite picture from my first turbo'd Miata:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Insulation, insulation, insulation.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tusen Takk posted:

That is on my todo list

along with covering that wall in pegboard

#goals

Good man. Set your goals higher, though... get slatwall.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

I've had Leica setups before

... oh you have, have you? :stare:

(I know, :thejoke: , that just couldn't rest without some comment.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

A grade-A case of "tantrum followed by taking ones toys and going home" from the look of it.

Likely brought on by that lovely disaster of a car dealer thread if I had to guess.

What was the tantrum? Last I saw, he said I was right and he got plastidipped the center caps and put on some cheap stickers in the center. It didn't seem contentious at all. And believe me, I know contentious.

Edit: Nevermind. It wasn't the de-escaladed thread, from the looks of his post history, he got butthurt in the vroom thread and went on a "delete all my posts" rampage.

Now I've got to go catch up on the vroom thread, sounds like that's been a shitfest from jump.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 16, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tide posted:

how the gently caress tdo you let that happen? i mean i kind of get it, none of their bizness of whatever and plausable deniablity but come the gently caress on.

i say i;'m miseralb but the reality is that im not misreable or depressed, i'mv loving pissed thefuck off. and the double life i've tried to lead to make it easy for my kid is doing neighther one of us any favors. h

but i just dont know what the gently caress to do. i am sorry as gently caress for being a loving downer and not givng my usual Tide drunkingposting but i needed to exise this poo poo get it out and listen to internt strangers on what the gently caress t do because i dont even know how to bring this subject up with anyone in the know.

Sucks about kitty jail. username at the google thing if you need to talk.

Don't second guess yourself. You were in it, for real and for life. She obviously did not have the same commitment. That's not on you, that's on her. And that's beside the point now.

Your kid knows you love him. Kids are pretty good at processing things. Keep positive (even if it's just on the outside) and ride it for a while. Tell the ex that she needs to explain things to him, that's something else that's on her.

Also, get loving help for yourself. If you've got good medical coverage, get to a counselor and/or psychiatrist/psychologist (psychiatrist is a pill doctor, psychologist deals with feels). There is nothing but good that comes from counseling, any time you get your thoughts out to someone, their response helps you see things in a somewhat different way.

You're strong, you'll make it through.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

fridge corn posted:

Funny how someone arguing a contrary opinion is automatically assumed to be trolling

fridge corn posted:

At least your fairly good looking and we're once good at baseball

fridge corn posted:

Also lol at Tide for getting probated for a 9000 word post in the big brother thread

See, that's not "arguing a contrary opinion," that's just being a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

blk posted:

I know but it's still funny af

Also good lord C5 Z06s are cheap. There's a nice 50k mile one near me for 17,5. I hear a lot about people autoxing them - are thy really a good choice for that stock?

They're beastly at low speed, with gearing that supports it, so they work well for just being savage in auto-x.

• Locked thread