Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Scikar posted:

I think the burka ban poll needs a bit more context. There are some people who would ban it on the grounds that it's used to oppress women rather than out of terrorism fears or whatever, but those numbers are all conflated.
Those people are equally stupid, so what's wrong with conflating the numbers?

e: in 2016 production on Colin Firth's Kursk submarine disaster movie was delayed by the Russian defence ministry's lack of cooperation

Cerv fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

forkboy84 posted:

The referendum didn't make people more racist, but it does seem to have made fascists sit up & go "oooh, there's a lot more people out there than we realised, lets go kick some Paki heads in!" It's emboldened people who were already racist, rather than converted people into racists. Not that that's any better

I suppose if nothing else it's useful for identification purposes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Scikar posted:

I think the burka ban poll needs a bit more context. There are some people who would ban it on the grounds that it's used to oppress women rather than out of terrorism fears or whatever, but those numbers are all conflated. I also wonder which definition the poll is using, since I thought the burka was the one with a full face veil but a lot of the articles are illustrated with a picture like the one above that only covers the hair and neck.
Those people are even worse because they're usually just making poo poo up. At least the "there all terrorist bin bags" people are open that they're a fuckwit, whereas the people claiming that it oppresses women think that the best way out of that is to ban another item of clothing that women can wear, rather than increase support for women's rights or set up Islamic feminist groups or whatever. It's not like genital mutilation where it's life changing and hard or impossible to reverse, it's a piece of cloth.

You're right about the burka being a full body covering with a mesh face veil, the niqab is the one with an eye slit, and the hijab is a general headscarf. The mistake you make is assuming that the people that want them banned care about the distinction.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Scikar posted:

I think the burka ban poll needs a bit more context. There are some people who would ban it on the grounds that it's used to oppress women rather than out of terrorism fears or whatever, but those numbers are all conflated. I also wonder which definition the poll is using, since I thought the burka was the one with a full face veil but a lot of the articles are illustrated with a picture like the one above that only covers the hair and neck.

And this is where we get into the thorny issue of whether it's an inherently damaging, oppressive religious practice (like, to use an extreme example, FGM), or simply an item of clothing that's often used by the shadier parts of one religion (pun not entirely intended) for unfortunate purposes, but isn't in and of itself damaging enough for it to be necessary to limit what women can and can't wear.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Wetsuits? Burkinis? The fools are ignoring the true danger of insidious foreign influences lapping at our shores this very moment! Do you know where those waves have been? Not to mention they're full of immigrants eager to get their fishy teeth and sinister pincers on the flesh of decent British citizens. I say ban the oceans and protect us all from the Crypto-Neptunic Fascism they hide beneath their waves!

The Kraken Wakes was a dire warning of things to come

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Wetsuits? Burkinis? The fools are ignoring the true danger of insidious foreign influences lapping at our shores this very moment! Do you know where those waves have been? Not to mention they're full of immigrants eager to get their fishy teeth and sinister pincers on the flesh of decent British citizens. I say ban the oceans and protect us all from the Crypto-Neptunic Fascism they hide beneath their waves!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
King Neptbeard

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Retarded Goatee posted:

Hey poster LeoMarr

What if you're opposed to the Soviet Union, its leadership etc but still think Corbyn is pretty cool

then what

You're to the left of Milo and Donald Trump, therefore you're a cuck beta who hates WESTERN CULTURE regardless of what you say

pack it up communailures :smug:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Oh dear me posted:

I appreciate the analogy, but I don't think this is true at all. Mice, which also do these things, are cute. When we want to imagine disgusting alien creatures, we make them insect-like.

Cool pic though!

Of course. No fascists would ever depict a hated minority as rodents!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Of course. No fascists would ever depict a hated minority as rodents!

Also, as Vulcan.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Love Like Blood posted:

These albums are all great. British punk is having a bit of a renaissance as well, maybe it's 6 years of horrific tory rule. Autonomads, Atterkop, The Sporadics, Pale Angels, Bangers, Wonk Unit, Spanner, Luvdump, Oi Polloi, Slaves & Sleaford Mods have all put out great albums recently.

(also I still love American Idiot, no regrets)

Great choice there, Oi Polloi are particularly great and the Sleaford Mods are the most punk group playing non-punk music of all time, Jobseeker should be in the OP of this thread. If you like the poppier end of punk the UK also has The Kimberly Steaks and The Murderburgers who have a new album coming out soon and the early pressing my mate got of it sounds really good.

Edit for the uninitiated: http://youtu.be/fCbQrULUM7s

StoneOfShame fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Sep 1, 2016

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Brexit emboldened fascists and I don't think there's any argument that it hasn't.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Gato posted:

Sadiq Khan abandoned his affordable housing stance
He did? Ugh.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Gonzo McFee posted:

Brexit emboldened fascists and I don't think there's any argument that it hasn't.

Yesterday I was in a pub where two men were loudly agreeing with each other that they "weren't racist" and "young people" people were just "brainwashed into being too sensitive these days". They were also beginning to warm to Theresa May because she said "Brexit means Brexit" before moving on to talk about how she wears a lot of "low cut tops". Thanks brexit.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Gonzo McFee posted:

yeah but emboldened fascists != created more fascists, you merely notice them more because their shittiness is on full display now

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

The referendum didn't make people more racist, but it does seem to have made fascists sit up & go "oooh, there's a lot more people out there than we realised, lets go kick some Paki heads in!" It's emboldened people who were already racist, rather than converted people into racists. Not that that's any better.

Gonzo McFee posted:

I suppose all I can say here is "watch what happens when Trump loses"

I'd certainly agree the campaign stoked it up, but no matter what the result it wouldn't have closed Pandora's box, short of 10% Leave to 90% Remain. The campaign itself emboldened them simply because of what the media determined to be 'acceptable levels' of racism.

I mean ultimately it comes down to my usual complaint of "gently caress the tabloids may all who write for them die painfully"

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

WeAreTheRomans posted:

No fascists would ever depict a hated minority as rodents!

Mice are very undesirable coresidents in your home, so of course fascists would depict minorities as rodents. Nevertheless, when people see pictures of mice that are not in their homes (or at least safely in cages), people think they are attractive little creatures. Balls of fur with big eyes, what is not to like? Insects don't have the same visual appeal for most people.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Oh dear me posted:

Mice are very undesirable coresidents in your home, so of course fascists would depict minorities as rodents. Nevertheless, when people see pictures of mice that are not in their homes (or at least safely in cages), people think they are attractive little creatures. Balls of fur with big eyes, what is not to like? Insects don't have the same visual appeal for most people.

Is this leading to a segregation allegory

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Retarded Goatee posted:

Hey poster LeoMarr

What if you're opposed to the Soviet Union, its leadership etc but still think Corbyn is pretty cool

then what

I unironically think it would be a good idea if there was a name for the political group that considers Labour either ireedamably compromised, or at least in need of destroying and recreating, but also wants nothing to do with Marx, Lenin, Trotsky and co.

Because every time I hear a member of that group speak, they give up half way through listing and discussing the things they are against before they get to saying anything about what they do actually stand for.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

radmonger posted:

I unironically think it would be a good idea if there was a name for the political group that considers Labour either ireedamably compromised, or at least in need of destroying and recreating, but also wants nothing to do with Marx, Lenin, Trotsky and co.

Because every time I hear a member of that group speak, they give up half way through listing and discussing the things they are against before they get to saying anything about what they do actually stand for.

How about 'momentum'?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

I suppose all I can say here is "watch what happens when Trump loses"

I'd certainly agree the campaign stoked it up, but no matter what the result it wouldn't have closed Pandora's box, short of 10% Leave to 90% Remain. The campaign itself emboldened them simply because of what the media determined to be 'acceptable levels' of racism.

I mean ultimately it comes down to my usual complaint of "gently caress the tabloids may all who write for them die painfully"

Fascists are a superstitious cowardly lot and need to be afraid and constantly reminded that they are in the minority. Now they know that the majority is behind them.

Edit: Momentum are good. Unlike Saving Labour or Progress, which are bad.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

radmonger posted:

Well the term used to be 'progressives' but thanks to the thinktank it's now tied up in Blairism.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Zephro posted:

He did? Ugh.

Is there an article on this because the last thing I saw was an article from the FT saying he's toughened his stance.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Fascists are a superstitious cowardly lot and need to be afraid and constantly reminded that they are in the minority. Now they know that the majority is behind them.

And I'm saying that short of an absolutely crushing defeat it would have been the same. 52-48 win for Remain would have changed little. Heck, 60-40 would change little. Watch what happens on November 9 in the US when Captain Racebait fails to clinch the presidency.

The papers have stoked racism in this country with psychopathic fervour and this referendum merely added an extra log to a brightly burning fire. Jo Cox's killer was at a training camp to prepare for a race war prior to the referendum. The EDL declared a targeting of Muslim politicians after Sadiq Khan won the mayoralty. I'm aware of the referendum's toxic effect but this denial of Britain's racist nature is whitewashing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

And I'm saying that short of an absolutely crushing defeat it would have been the same. 52-48 win for Remain would have changed little. Heck, 60-40 would change little. Watch what happens on November 9 in the US when Captain Racebait fails to clinch the presidency.

The papers have stoked racism in this country with psychopathic fervour and this referendum merely added an extra log to a brightly burning fire. Jo Cox's killer was at a training camp to prepare for a race war prior to the referendum. The EDL declared a targeting of Muslim politicians after Sadiq Khan won the mayoralty. I'm aware of the referendum's toxic effect but this denial of Britain's racist nature is whitewashing.

There's a big difference between an upsurge in racism that's supported by the government and an upsurge in racism that's a backlash against the government. I fully expect that we'll see an outpouring of hate crimes after Trump loses. I also expect that the FBI will descend on the perpetrators like the wrath of God. On the other hand, I do not expect May to lift even half a finger at the violent fascist dicks over here. They are, after all, her base.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Tesseraction posted:

this denial of Britain's racist nature is whitewashing.

Are you talking about posters here or in general, because again, no-one has downplayed racism in this country whatsoever, from what I have seen. People talking about how the brexit vote has fed, encouraged and legitimised (in the perpetrators eyes) racism isn't downplaying it.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

It's also a dangerous game to say "britain as a place is full of racists who were just hiding and waiting to pounce", it implies that there aren't environmental factors into them being that way, notably all the politicians and press presenting it as a normal way to think about things. No one has ever convinced someone to change their mind by calling them a widely condemned derogatory label and presenting the whole thing as an us vs them (e.g. non racists vs racists) just makes things worse, as does the implication that they're only racist because they're stupid when you can't convince them of the core errors in their thinking.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/770989832558485504

#LibDemFightback

(lol)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

It's only 14% no biggie.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

Are you talking about posters here or in general, because again, no-one has downplayed racism in this country whatsoever, from what I have seen. People talking about how the brexit vote has fed, encouraged and legitimised (in the perpetrators eyes) racism isn't downplaying it.

I suppose I take issue with ignoring that the EDL has been stepping up its preparations and the routine harassment of Muslims in public prior to the referendum. It's seen an uptick in reported racist incidents but, post-result spike notwithstanding, I don't see this as being a net increase in racism in the country due to the choice of leaving the EU or not. I maintain it was the referendum itself alongside the near constant propaganda against foreigners, and blaming the result is reductive and ignores that it was a the climate created during the campaign that has done this. Hence my saying "see what happens when Trump loses"

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Yo whatup the way you combat oppression of women is by ensuring there is adequate social support structures and safety nets to protect a woman's autonomy and safety if she falls foul of a controlling or abusive partner or family member. Race or religion doesn't come into it and banning traditional religious dress isn't "liberatong" women, it's just as controlling and coercive as what you're trying to "liberate" them from - as those pictures of thise pigs on that french beach ably show.

This mansplain brought to you by the number "9" and the letter "R".

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Yesterday I was in a pub where two men were loudly agreeing with each other that they "weren't racist" and "young people" people were just "brainwashed into being too sensitive these days". They were also beginning to warm to Theresa May because she said "Brexit means Brexit" before moving on to talk about how she wears a lot of "low cut tops". Thanks brexit.

The difference appears to be having gone from muttering darkly in the corner of the pub to having a bigger group and being a bit louder about the loving do-gooders ruining the country in my experience

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

J_RBG posted:

The difference appears to be having gone from muttering darkly in the corner of the pub to having a bigger group and being a bit louder about the loving do-gooders ruining the country in my experience

I'm seriously considering buying an EU flag tshirt just to troll them.

Edit: Just ordered this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FSVO380/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 1, 2016

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Oberleutnant posted:

Yo whatup the way you combat oppression of women is by ensuring there is adequate social support structures and safety nets to protect a woman's autonomy and safety if she falls foul of a controlling or abusive partner or family member. Race or religion doesn't come into it and banning traditional religious dress isn't "liberatong" women, it's just as controlling and coercive as what you're trying to "liberate" them from - as those pictures of thise pigs on that french beach ably show.

This mansplain brought to you by the number "9" and the letter "R".

loving A mate, what needs to be encouraged is liberation to occur from within communities but safety nets in place for when things go to poo poo. Back when I was in Derry I used to dive my ex's mom around while she did work with the young female traveller community trying to get them to challenge the ingrained culture. As a man literally driving would be the extent of what I could have done without being counter productive and Christ it was an uphill battle she was fighting. Even trying to meet with younger women without older ones acting as chaperones and telling them not to say anything was impossible.

Thus ends my story of being a cool noble guy helping safe women because they need men to do it for them.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
That T-shirt looks like a flaccid willy hanging ominously over a foetus.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Gonzo McFee posted:

Is there an article on this because the last thing I saw was an article from the FT saying he's toughened his stance.

Here you go:

https://www.theguardian.com/housing-network/2016/may/27/sadiq-khan-empty-luxury-flats-housing-policy

quote:

So far, so good. But buried in the BBC story on McDonnell’s announcement was a surprising line: Sadiq Khan told the BBC he did not favour rent freezes in the capital. What a difference a year makes: almost to the day, Khan told Labour members he would, if selected, push for rent freezes. In his words: “As Mayor, I’ll offer a London Living Rent, create a London-wide social letting agency, and fight for new powers to freeze rents. Together we can make housing more affordable for thousands of Londoners – helping them save for a deposit.”

Labour’s housing spokesperson in the London Assembly, echoed Khan’s commitment to housing: “Sadiq will campaign with Londoners for the power to freeze rents and for new rules to ensure that if necessary repairs are not started by landlords within a reasonable time period, tenants will be able to carry them out and deduct the cost from the rent.” The spokesperson added that a rent freeze over the last four years would have saved the average London renter £5,615 – money that could have been put towards a deposit.

It all seems strange: while he was seeking selection, Khan realised that housing problems affect different types of tenants: people who want to buy, people in social housing, people who want to be in social housing and people in private rented accommodation who are faced with rent hikes and poor standards. After proposing solutions that would help all those in personal housing crises , Khan’s policy on private rent freezes has been quietly dropped upon actual election.

I sent him a message on twitter asking him why he has dropped the policy at the time and, I guess unsurprisingly, got no reply.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Prince John posted:

The Electoral Reform Society has published its depressing report into the Brexit referendum. It makes depressing reading but they make some good recommendations - such as an independent body to monitor misleading claims.

The worst bit was this:

The only people the public actually listened to were Boris, Farage and loving Donald Trump.

Christ alive.

forkboy84 posted:

The referendum didn't make people more racist, but it does seem to have made fascists sit up & go "oooh, there's a lot more people out there than we realised, lets go kick some Paki heads in!" It's emboldened people who were already racist, rather than converted people into racists. Not that that's any better.

Yeah this is what I meant. I feel like the constant discussion and tolerance of really racist stuff has made racists think their racism is socially acceptable and we're seeing an outpouring of it. Apologies if I came across as suggesting that the UK had no racists until Boris airdropped them in like the world's worst version of the screaming eagles.

brian posted:

It's also a dangerous game to say "britain as a place is full of racists who were just hiding and waiting to pounce", it implies that there aren't environmental factors into them being that way, notably all the politicians and press presenting it as a normal way to think about things. No one has ever convinced someone to change their mind by calling them a widely condemned derogatory label and presenting the whole thing as an us vs them (e.g. non racists vs racists) just makes things worse, as does the implication that they're only racist because they're stupid when you can't convince them of the core errors in their thinking.

I think there's a lot of good reasons for that and when I'm done sobbing here I'll probably go back to bashing my head against the tory brick wall of trying to very slowly explain to right-leaning friends and relatives how their I'm-not-racist-but opinion is actually a problem. However here, I'm reading depressing statistics and I'm pissed off so gently caress all the goddamn loving nazis who think they run the UK now.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Of course. Don't know why I expected any different. My exact problem with the Labour right there. Promise a mix of left wing ideas and concessions to the right wing to get power, abandons the left wing ideas and keep the concessions to the right once they get power.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I think the problem I have with the idea that the burka - or the niqab or even hijab - is a symbol of oppression is that it's an idea that removes any semblance of choice on the part of the woman.
As Ober said, make sure there is sufficient education and services so that women are able to make the choice for themselves and then gently caress OFF because it's got nothing to do with you any longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Gonzo McFee posted:

Of course. Don't know why I expected any different. My exact problem with the Labour right there. Promise a mix of left wing ideas and concessions to the right wing to get power, abandons the left wing ideas and keep the concessions to the right once they get power.

But Smith has all of Corbyn's policies why aren't you voting for him?!?!

• Locked thread