Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

I'm sure the referendum campaign didn't help, what with the Turkish hordes, swarms of Syrian migrants that bonkers EU takes in, implying Iraq and Syria will join the EU, all that.

Truly, this referendum brought racism to our shores. If only we could have held on to the racial harmony of 2015 when our nation was super not-racist.

Hmmm no I still got harassed in the streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Seriously I'm getting rather pissed that people claim the Brexit debate made the UK more racist compared to the reality that Britain has been so loving racist you wouldn't believe. You're only noticing it now.

The Polish resident being murdered? Jo Cox being murdered in the street? You really believe this happened in the isolation of a referendum?

I envy you.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*ignores Daily Mail, Daily Express* hmmm yess the UK is super not-racist and nothing racial could occur

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

How are those hate crime figures doing?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/worst-atrocities-british-empire-amritsar-boer-war-concentration-camp-mau-mau-a6821756.html

Most under a labour government

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009

StoneOfShame posted:

I hate Good Riddance, Minority is alright.

Also punk is really healthy at the moment, may I recommend Pears' Green Star, Night Birds' Mutiny at Muscle Beach, Downtown Boys' Full Communism and Red City Radio's self titled album for a variety of great punk albums with different styles from this and last year.

Edit:Didn't read the most of a decade but still if you haven't heard those records check them out.

These albums are all great. British punk is having a bit of a renaissance as well, maybe it's 6 years of horrific tory rule. Autonomads, Atterkop, The Sporadics, Pale Angels, Bangers, Wonk Unit, Spanner, Luvdump, Oi Polloi, Slaves & Sleaford Mods have all put out great albums recently.

(also I still love American Idiot, no regrets)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Spangly A posted:

Sarkozy went insane after Bataclan. A lot of french people did. He has not recovered.

I'm not joking I think the man is mentally ill and should be immediately removed from position.

Hollande? Sarkozy has no formal position

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Is there any actual chance of May being successful in scrapping the Human Rights Act?

Also holy poo poo this is rather a bit more Weimar than I expected.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Good OP but you misspelled the airship's name. It's actually called the SkyBum

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/31/londons-elite-pushed-out-of-exclusive-postcodes-by-super-rich

quote:

London’s traditional elite, such as lawyers, architects and academics, are being pushed out of their enclaves in Mayfair, Chelsea and Hampstead by an influx of global super rich investors, causing a chain reaction of gentrification across the capital, according to research by the London School of Economics.

The old elites also felt driven out of their traditional enclaves by the impact of the global super rich on the local environment, such as the proliferation of mega-basements, which led to considerable distress for longstanding residents. Glucksberg said a university lecturer in Highgate told her they were unable to cope with the years of drilling and digging under neighbouring houses.

Karen Buck, MP for Westminster North, who has dealt with dozens of cases of neighbours affected by iceberg basements (where so much of the home is hidden underground), said: “It is profoundly damaging to the fabric of London life when the people who make up the city’s workforce are priced out or see their children priced out of London. It leads to sterile communities and neighbourhoods that are scarcely lived in.”
:qq:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

A lovely Reporter posted:

Checking in from the US to say I loving envy all of you for having someone as great as Corbyn in politics over there. Shame the majority of your country are racist morons.

Man, I wish we had someone like him, too. Our left is mostly made up of very strange aliens impersonating humans very badly. Or incompetent clowns, if you go a bit more to the center of the political spectre.

At least our political right is full of clowns, too.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I can't wait until London is just one big interconnected house owned by one guy who doesn't technically have to pay taxes

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

The Polish resident being murdered? Jo Cox being murdered in the street? You really believe this happened in the isolation of a referendum?

the political drama of the referendum did nothing to help and in all likelihood did contribute to these events taking place. of course there were issues before, but brexit stoked the fire by putting immigration at the top of the agenda.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Rich assholes encounter even richer assholes. Sounds more like someone :qq:-ing over not being the biggest fish in the pond anymore.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Special Piss Po' Roundup
During the month of August, Local Authorities used PSPOs for the following noble goals:
• Teignbridge council has banned acting "in a manner as to cause annoyance...to any person."
• Sandwell council made it illegal for "a group of three or more persons" to act "in a manner which causes or is likely to cause nuisance, annoyance, harassment, alarm or distress."
• Wrexham County Borough Council criminalised "sleeping within Wrexham Bus Station in King's Street, and any public toilet facilities within the Town Centre during the hours of darkness."
I can't wait for these to be used for any other purpose than harassing minorities, yoof, and homeless people.

Who comes up with this bullshit, ASBOs are already dumb enough as is.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

This is very very similar to an article a few months ago whining and handwringing about poor academics and assorted liberal middle classes being forced out of london where historically they "improved society from the comfort of their salons" (i'm paraphrasing slightly).

It's really loving funny because i'm guessing some sub-editor can't afford a mortgage on a place he wants in kensington or whatever and is real loving bitter about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

blowfish posted:

Who comes up with this bullshit, ASBOs are already dumb enough as is.
People who honestly believe that it's those drat teens and their Green Day LPs who are sleeping in public toilets on purpose to intimidate their house prices, and they'll stop if it's made illegal.

So basically the same people behind every other gutting of social/public services in exchange for banning poo poo.

Zephro posted:

Good OP but you misspelled the airship's name. It's actually called the SkyBum
Arselander 3

lol I wonder what the results would be if the question said 'wetsuits' instead of 'scary foreign terror rags'.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

This is very very similar to an article a few months ago whining and handwringing about poor academics and assorted liberal middle classes being forced out of london where historically they "improved society from the comfort of their salons" (i'm paraphrasing slightly).

It's really loving funny because i'm guessing some sub-editor can't afford a mortgage on a place he wants in kensington or whatever and is real loving bitter about it.

To be fair it's a big problem if the 99% are totally priced out of their city, though it's still hilarious when it's the 2nd percentile complaining about the 1st.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Yeah that's what's funny about it. A reasonable complaint would be the critical lack of social housing in most cities, but you know these fucks wouldn't be seen dead in a council house

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Whoever dreamed up 'burkini' as a dogwhistle wedge issue is loving genius. Evil genius, but still.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Tesseraction posted:

Seriously I'm getting rather pissed that people claim the Brexit debate made the UK more racist compared to the reality that Britain has been so loving racist you wouldn't believe. You're only noticing it now.

I envy you.

Brexit didn't make anyone racist, and I don't think I read anyone here suggesting that.

What the concerted effort to use brazen appeals to staple fascist demagoguery did was let people know it was actually okay to be entirely open about their racism again, to revel in it, and to associate it with the bland, stodgy nationalism our dear nation favours. The press have screamed "breaking point" and gotten to the level of discourse where they can have articles calling asylum seekers cockroaches and suggest their murder on the open seas, lest they molest our fair shores (or little white girls) and that is what millions of people read day in, day out, for years. It's seen as reputable and truthful.

People stuck an X in a box marked brexit but was really marked as "gently caress immigrants/muslims/scroungers SAVE YOUR COUNTRY" to them. And then they took the result as the go ahead to start telling people to gently caress off home on the bus when they might have previously shut their vapid loving mouth. Some of them celebrated by marching around the street singing songs to suggest that "pakis" go home, as soon as they heard the result. They posted a bit of hate mail against the Czech family down the road. Maybe some dogshit next time. And that keeps going, and now (more) people are getting kicked to death on the street on account they sound or look like one of those people.

Every vote, for these people, was another signal to go ahead, this is right, this is democracy. The majority favoured this. Shut up about your namby pamby "yoomun rights" and kick a pole to death, save your nation from the cockroach, read about how he was going to steal your job, your home, your benefits and your daughter in this blurb under some tits in the sun, as "heidi", 19, tells you how it is. The hate existed and has always existed, but was exploited and fanned by the brexit campaign, and then multiplied intensely by the result, as shown by the massive increase in incidents. As the negotiations drag, then turn sour, the hate will further be poured on and directed at "new" targets too as required to ensure the blame for social ills falls anywhere but at the feet of the negligent parties.

Brexit is brexit. And brexit is a boot in a migrants face.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 1, 2016

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Surprising nobody:

Surprising a few:

"There are only two demographic groups that are more likely to oppose a ban than support it: 18-24 year olds and Remain voters. Even then the numbers are relatively closely – Remain voters are net opposed to the ban by just 3%, whilst 18-24 year olds are 6% net opposed to the ban."

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Junior G-man posted:

Whoever dreamed up 'burkini' as a dogwhistle wedge issue is loving genius. Evil genius, but still.

Couldn't the makers of "burkinis" just re-brand them as female wetsuits to circumvent all laws against them? Or would the idiots in charge just double down and arrest every diver they see?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Libluini posted:

Couldn't the makers of "burkinis" just re-brand them as female wetsuits to circumvent all laws against them? Or would the idiots in charge just double down and arrest every diver they see?

As long as brown women might wear them because they're all mental terrorists, some regressive mayor somewhere is going to make a problem of it.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Meanwhile this complements DesperateDan's post neatly:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Brexit didn't make anyone racist, it just led to people doing more racist things, having more racist dialogue with other racists, and feeling validated for their racist beliefs and actions. OK.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

The Evening Standard has been going on about this for weeks now, it's such a bizarre non-story. The Standard are pretty competent at being right wing attack dogs too which just makes it weirder they are focusing on such a bloo-bloo alienating issue.

Honestly I just think it's funny that the rich are getting a tiny, tiny taste of their own medicine. And if cozy little establishment enclaves are getting broken up too then all the better, scummy as they are Saudi princes do me less harm than aristo SPADs do.

Junior G-man posted:

Isn't that what the woman who invented them called them? Or do you mean the person who pushed it as a SOCIAL ISSUE(!)?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DesperateDan posted:

the level of discourse where they can have articles calling asylum seekers cockroaches
Cockroaches are completely harmless to humans and a useful part of the biosphere, the only reason they're seen as disgusting by most people is because they don't recognize our arbitrary borders and brazenly keep on living where we didn't even give them permission to.

The fact that they have been used for hate speech against foreigners throughout history says a lot about what it is people actually hate about the Other.

e:

Junior G-man posted:

As long as brown women might wear them because they're all mental terrorists, some regressive mayor somewhere is going to make a problem of it.
If they're allowed to cover their hair in public they might start breaking all of our other most treasured laws.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 1, 2016

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

On the one hand, world's smallest violin. On the other hand, the powers that be care far more about this demographic than the remaining 98%, so maybe it's stories like this that will open their eyes to the ahahaha I can't finish this sentence.

Hope is a mistake, Sadiq Khan abandoned his affordable housing stance, TIBFJC etc

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Guavanaut posted:

the only reason they're seen as disgusting by most people is because they don't recognize our arbitrary borders and brazenly keep on living where we didn't even give them permission to.

I appreciate the analogy, but I don't think this is true at all. Mice, which also do these things, are cute. When we want to imagine disgusting alien creatures, we make them insect-like.

Cool pic though!

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Libluini posted:

Wetsuits? Burkinis? The fools are ignoring the true danger of insidious foreign influences lapping at our shores this very moment! Do you know where those waves have been? Not to mention they're full of immigrants eager to get their fishy teeth and sinister pincers on the flesh of decent British citizens. I say ban the oceans and protect us all from the Crypto-Neptunic Fascism they hide beneath their waves!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Wetsuits? Burkinis? The fools are ignoring the true danger of insidious foreign influences lapping at our shores this very moment! Do you know where those waves have been? Not to mention they're full of immigrants eager to get their fishy teeth and sinister pincers on the flesh of decent British citizens. I say ban the oceans and protect us all from the Crypto-Neptunic Fascism they hide beneath their waves!

Redundant, since BRITANNIA (which is stronk) RULES THE WAVES.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oh dear me posted:

I appreciate the analogy, but I don't think this is true at all. Mice, which also do these things, are cute. When we want to imagine disgusting alien creatures, we make them insect-like.
A lot of people have a serious phobia of mice and rats where they aren't wanted too. Not squirrels though, even though most of the squirrels are the forrin' type.

I think it's the whole 'crossing boundaries without even asking us' thing. I can think of a lot more dangerous insects that you could compare people to, mosquitoes, tsetse fly, giant hornet. Those only tend to get used in the sense of the parasite (capital if you're left wing, the International Jew if you're a Nazi) or the foreign aggressor.

In other news, wealth continues to trickle down to the South, but areas in the North really aren't that bad. Scotland and the Midlands are hosed though. Leicester is especially terrible :toot:

http://www.itv.com/news/central/2016-08-31/leicester-worst-place-in-england-to-live-for-families/

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

The Electoral Reform Society has published its depressing report into the Brexit referendum. It makes depressing reading but they make some good recommendations - such as an independent body to monitor misleading claims.

The worst bit was this:

quote:

When asked about eight prominent politicians, most people said they had had no effect on the way they voted.

The only high-profile figures who, according to the poll, persuaded more voters of their position than drove them to vote the other way were Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage and US presidential candidate Donald Trump, who backed Brexit.

The only people the public actually listened to were Boris, Farage and loving Donald Trump.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Hey poster LeoMarr

What if you're opposed to the Soviet Union, its leadership etc but still think Corbyn is pretty cool

then what

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I think the burka ban poll needs a bit more context. There are some people who would ban it on the grounds that it's used to oppress women rather than out of terrorism fears or whatever, but those numbers are all conflated. I also wonder which definition the poll is using, since I thought the burka was the one with a full face veil but a lot of the articles are illustrated with a picture like the one above that only covers the hair and neck.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Prince John posted:

The only people the public actually listened to were Boris, Farage and loving Donald Trump.

What that actually shows is that people who voted Leave are just more likely either to engage or at least be the ones to admit to engaging in personality politics.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Angepain posted:

I can't wait until London is just one big interconnected house owned by one guy who doesn't technically have to pay taxes

What, The Queen?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

^^ She pays tax ;)

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What that actually shows is that people who voted Leave are just more likely either to engage or at least be the ones to admit to engaging in personality politics.

That is a more charitable way of looking at it, although almost as depressing a conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

I envy you.

The referendum didn't make people more racist, but it does seem to have made fascists sit up & go "oooh, there's a lot more people out there than we realised, lets go kick some Paki heads in!" It's emboldened people who were already racist, rather than converted people into racists. Not that that's any better.

Gonzo McFee posted:

What, The Queen?

Nah, she'll have to sell up to some obnoxious Russian oligarch before too long. The tiny cut-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-face part of me really loves that idea of British people being priced out of Britain. Foreigners coming over here & taking out homes rather than our jobs. But because they are rich rather than lazy benefit scrounging, job stealing parasites nobody blinks an eyelid until it's too late, no one is left in London without a Middle Eastern, Eastern European or East Asian accent, none of whom actually pay tax here, driving us deep into the sea where we truly belong.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 1, 2016

• Locked thread