Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Wake me up when September ends.

Actually do it when this loving leadership contest is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

You never want to be woken up then?

This sounds like a death threat I've reported you to Labour HQ.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

StoneOfShame posted:

Only good Greenday is allowed to be referenced under pain of gulag, that's nothing post Dookie because I'm being generous, it should really be nothing post Kerplunk.

Oh come on, GR(TOYL) and Minority weren't that bad.

I agree that American Idiot was the harbinger of punk dying for most of a decade.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

spectralent posted:

What the actual gently caress.

The racists really did come out the woodwork for the brexit vote.

Yeah I have zero recollection of the post-2001 mood of the UK either.

This really isn't new RE: Muslims. They've been poo poo on repeatedly since 9/11, not since the referendum. This new case is just a response to France's lovely response to a terrorist attack.

I mean blame the Brexit referendum if you want but lol try being a tanned person after 9/11 and claim racism was over until Brexit. I look Arab even to Arabs so I experience pleeeenty of this poo poo and ~surprise~ it's not related to any particular event just media coverage.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Pop punk maybe

Are you kidding mate this was the time that New Found Glory and Fall Out Boy were redefining that genre towards a fuckton of make-up and a lot less politics.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

spectralent posted:

I'm aware there's been islamophobia for a long time, but I didn't think I'd get half the country gleefully trying to suppress a religion without brexit giving a wave to the "your racism is okay" crowd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_debate_over_veils

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

I'm sure the referendum campaign didn't help, what with the Turkish hordes, swarms of Syrian migrants that bonkers EU takes in, implying Iraq and Syria will join the EU, all that.

Truly, this referendum brought racism to our shores. If only we could have held on to the racial harmony of 2015 when our nation was super not-racist.

Hmmm no I still got harassed in the streets.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Seriously I'm getting rather pissed that people claim the Brexit debate made the UK more racist compared to the reality that Britain has been so loving racist you wouldn't believe. You're only noticing it now.

The Polish resident being murdered? Jo Cox being murdered in the street? You really believe this happened in the isolation of a referendum?

I envy you.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*ignores Daily Mail, Daily Express* hmmm yess the UK is super not-racist and nothing racial could occur

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

The referendum didn't make people more racist, but it does seem to have made fascists sit up & go "oooh, there's a lot more people out there than we realised, lets go kick some Paki heads in!" It's emboldened people who were already racist, rather than converted people into racists. Not that that's any better.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Brexit emboldened fascists and I don't think there's any argument that it hasn't.

I suppose all I can say here is "watch what happens when Trump loses"

I'd certainly agree the campaign stoked it up, but no matter what the result it wouldn't have closed Pandora's box, short of 10% Leave to 90% Remain. The campaign itself emboldened them simply because of what the media determined to be 'acceptable levels' of racism.

I mean ultimately it comes down to my usual complaint of "gently caress the tabloids may all who write for them die painfully"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

radmonger posted:

I unironically think it would be a good idea if there was a name for the political group that considers Labour either ireedamably compromised, or at least in need of destroying and recreating, but also wants nothing to do with Marx, Lenin, Trotsky and co.

Because every time I hear a member of that group speak, they give up half way through listing and discussing the things they are against before they get to saying anything about what they do actually stand for.

Well the term used to be 'progressives' but thanks to the thinktank it's now tied up in Blairism.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Fascists are a superstitious cowardly lot and need to be afraid and constantly reminded that they are in the minority. Now they know that the majority is behind them.

And I'm saying that short of an absolutely crushing defeat it would have been the same. 52-48 win for Remain would have changed little. Heck, 60-40 would change little. Watch what happens on November 9 in the US when Captain Racebait fails to clinch the presidency.

The papers have stoked racism in this country with psychopathic fervour and this referendum merely added an extra log to a brightly burning fire. Jo Cox's killer was at a training camp to prepare for a race war prior to the referendum. The EDL declared a targeting of Muslim politicians after Sadiq Khan won the mayoralty. I'm aware of the referendum's toxic effect but this denial of Britain's racist nature is whitewashing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

Are you talking about posters here or in general, because again, no-one has downplayed racism in this country whatsoever, from what I have seen. People talking about how the brexit vote has fed, encouraged and legitimised (in the perpetrators eyes) racism isn't downplaying it.

I suppose I take issue with ignoring that the EDL has been stepping up its preparations and the routine harassment of Muslims in public prior to the referendum. It's seen an uptick in reported racist incidents but, post-result spike notwithstanding, I don't see this as being a net increase in racism in the country due to the choice of leaving the EU or not. I maintain it was the referendum itself alongside the near constant propaganda against foreigners, and blaming the result is reductive and ignores that it was a the climate created during the campaign that has done this. Hence my saying "see what happens when Trump loses"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

peter thiel is an insane child blood sucking vampire but if he kills the daily mail as well as gawker he might not be entirely bad

It's not Thiel bankrolling it this time, just the law firm he hired to do it.

This time it's Trump bankrolling it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

someone should at least stop him stealing childrens blood then

He's in the land of unnecessary crucifixes and lives in sunny California so frankly in terms of vampires he's got high stats.

Gonna need a full Helsing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

floofyscorp posted:

If I was a Southern commuter I'd be spitting blood about this. The Guardian has been talking to people on the trains this morning and they're all depressingly resigned about it.

But remember Corbyn is the bad man who slandered the poor, poor train companies.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pesmerga posted:

They're also a bit poo poo for non-drinkers, and can create an unpleasant working environment.

Interestingly enough I'm going to such an event tonight where one of the two people it's for doesn't drink, so he's not coming.

To his own farewell party.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Being around a load of people who are drinking when you don't drink can be hell, tbh.

Depends on the person - at uni one of the guys couldn't drink due to medication but he came out with us and by the end of the evening you couldn't tell he was sober from the way he was there on the dancefloor with the rest of us.

That said, sometimes everyone becoming a braying jackass while you're not even enjoying a buzz can be a real mood killer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Are you expected to go to the pub with your workmates in the UK? Doesn't sound very fun. I like my work and free time to have a crisp, clear line between them and no overlap.

But granted I am an antisocial nerd who prefers to spend evenings in my workshop or my family, rather than the pub. But, I am also an uncle scrooge level cheapskate and a pub sounds like a waste of hard earned cash I'd rather use to buy tools with.

Some companies yes, other companies no. These aren't formal things it's just a case of someone in the office going "anyway fancy a pint after work?" and a bunch of regulars going with the occasional special guests.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Not Operator posted:

I can't check the dates on my phone, is this a follow up to "You're only on this panel because you're a woman", or is it a prequel?

He's probably not an actual misogynist, but if he was the labour leader, he'd be getting loving savaged over stuff like this. And more deservingly than "man can't tell Ant from Dec"

The insult to Leanne Wood was back in 2015, that tweet is from April.

And he's not a full-blown misogynist but he does seem to gravitate towards casual misogyny, which really isn't much better, especially for a politician in the public eye.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

I just drink during work hours now.

Working in finance I see.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He does know Asian-Brits were a major Leave demographic, right?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Saurus posted:

Owen Smith spending his time campaigning on a tiny island next to a national park with almost no people in it.

I suppose it makes him feel comfortable not having to chase those big crowds that Jezza gets.

Being fair, that was in April, prior to him trying to oust Corbyn by copying him poorly.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Here's a piece talking about how May's honeymoon period covering up a hell of a lot of weaknesses: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/04/theresa-may-political-honeymoon-soon-over

Pretty interesting insight in that more sensible Tories see the Labour infighting as dangerous as it will encourage the Tory rebels to make trouble without fear of consequence.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

This is why saying "we have to do it" is so bizarre to me. I understand it was a democratic vote and that there will be repercussions to not committing to the result but when everyone is saying "this will destroy the country" then not doing it will always be an option. No matter the repercussions. Not pressing the article 50 button will always be a real option and everyone, especially people in power, need to stop acting like it isn't. There is no law forcing them to enact it and even if there was they are the government so who gives a gently caress?

Whichever leader and party enacts article 50 must take the blame. No hiding behind "well, they voted for it!". It's still a real choice. And whoever presses the self destruct needs to take responsibility for it.

It's just an endgame of the politics of spin - if everything the government says is purely bollocks then the one time the boy cries about an actual wolf, nobody believes them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

14/88/28/18 hang on a minute am I playing the national lottery?

of course not the numbers don't go high enough for 88 :ssh:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

We need an anti-Sexism inquiry into the Owen Smith campaign.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

HJB posted:

Farage is back, he's shaved the tache off and is threatening to return to the fray if Brexit Means Brexit doesn't mean Brexit.

Maybe he can finally have a fatal crash this time.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Scikar posted:

So Owen Smith has decided the best way to promote himself when giving a speech on the leadership election is to produce a mock 2020 Tory manifesto. Does he have no self-awareness at all?

"This is what our fuckbarrelling of Corbyn will guarantee!"

29: There were this many days in February this year.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Graun live blog posted:

In the Commons Andy Burnham, the shadow home secretary, asked the government to clarify its plan for immigration rules post-Brexit. His question was answered by Robert Goodwill, the immigration minister, who sidestepped the question and just focused on attacking Labour’s record.

plus ca change...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/TelegraphNews/status/772809541612208130

:cawg:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

McDragon posted:

At least he will always have Ed Balls Day.

"Every day is Ed Balls Day" he says as he dances nude in front of an unimpressed Cooper.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

nopantsjack posted:

remember when radical revolutionary Are Russel totally changed his stance on politicians after Ed Miliband had a 10 minute chat with him where he didn't say anything of substance but broadly agreed with him

then after they lost he gave up politics 4eva again lol

Actually he publicly backed Corbyn in the latest contest.

People are just back to ignoring him once they realised he wasn't a game-changer like Owen Jones claimed he was in last year's GE lmao.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

namesake posted:

He's always been far more loyal to the Labour party as an entity rather than delivering leftwing policy through it so the fact that there's a old school social democrat in charge of the Labour party using radical lefty support but which threatens the existence of the Labour party must be tying him in knots.

Nah, he's Dicks In For Corbyn but has valid criticism of certain elements of his strategy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Saurus posted:

Is John Harris that twat with a girl's haircut from the 1970s who keeps making GBS threads on Corbyn while crying about how he totally has the best interests of the left at heart?

He's the one who's most vocally defended Corbyn supporters and Brexit voters.

Vitamin P posted:

UKMT is this well islamophobic or am I being too sensitive.

Daniel Anderson is local councillor for the area and this seems a really weird dog-whistly thing to say, especially as the Ponders End Mosque visit is made up.

Looks pretty dog-whistle to me. How has she 'misled' residents in the 'West'?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Saurus posted:

I'm pretty sure I read an article by him that was critical of Corbyn and I immediately hated and blacklisted him, because I would fight and kill and die for Jeremy.

Maybe that was just his paymasters at the Guardian forcing him to drop out a turdlet though.

He criticised some of Corbyn's handling of media and policy, but it was more a general lament about the left not gaining hold of the public consciousness. He still defends Corbyn's mandate, unlike many others.

He also does real journalism and asks ordinary people in the middle of buggerfuck nowhere their opinions because he (quite rightly) believes they have a right to be heard.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

By the way Llamas, the Bear's replacement pub has already closed and been replaced by a cocktail lounge. It's rather an odd change.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Reagan has been dead for a while, sorry to break it to you duder

*sister

And she's talking about Arch Lich Phyllis Schlafly, Spawner of Andrew Schlafly, who runs Conservapedia and has been described as sounding like 'a muppet gargling diarrhoea.' After 92 years of wilting plants in her presence and near single-handedly crushing the Equal Rights Act she's finally succumbed to human progress and has been sucked back into the netherworld from which she first blighted this wretched planet.

After endorsing Donald Trump.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pounded in the Butt by the Labour Leadership Contest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I actually rather like that.

Well, apart from the fact that May hasn't actually brought the Chinese government around on this, she's merely said she's still reviewing the evidence before making a decision.

Sooner or later she'll have to actually do something or the next 4 years will be hilariously dull.

• Locked thread