Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Tesseraction posted:

Actually do it when this loving leadership contest is over.

So just in time for the next leadership contest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I can't wait until London is just one big interconnected house owned by one guy who doesn't technically have to pay taxes

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

God I hate Ruth Davidson. She's been far too effective at making the Tories seem a valid choice to vote for again.

I keep hoping the Ruth Davidson Party will do a Scottish Labour and turf her out at the first sign of something not going 100% right, without any consideration as to whether anybody could possibly replace her

this would require anything to go badly for the scottish tories though, which probably depends on Scottish Labour fixing itself before the next decade, so we're probably screwed

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

ultrabindu posted:

What I meant was at this point in time.

As far as I can tell they're not going to try to call another referendum until they're pretty drat sure they can win it, but they are still planning to actively campaign for Independence At Some Point

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I meant the party.

It'll take a couple of years, as all these things to. Disentangling from a 300+ year old union can't just happen in an instant.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

honestly I wasn't sure myself if that was forkboy's joke or not but if it isn't I now get to claim it as my own so go me

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Pesmerga posted:

They're also a bit poo poo for non-drinkers, and can create an unpleasant working environment.

sounds like somebody's afraid of a little bit of banter

lads lads lads lads

p.s. that's not sexist because Carol on our team is also one of the lads, she doesn't complain when we keep making jokes about dicks she's not like the others

Angepain fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 2, 2016

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

Just have an irn bru and don't be a fanny.

this can work, but only if the people with you aren't a fanny to you when they notice you're not drinking. There were a lot of people like that in my student days but I'm sure in the grown up world of work such people have greatly matured and have become fully professional well-adjusted adults, right?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Fans posted:

Someone was banned from voting in the Leadership Contest because they called Tony Blair a oval office. If they managed to get everyone who's done that I could see where Owen Smith was getting the figures for him to win this from.

Rightly so. Gendered insults are uncomradely. They should have called Blair a poo poo.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I'm still not sure what a person's sex is but it must be pretty dangerous. I hear it's quite liable to catch fire.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Jose posted:

kings of leon are a bit poo poo live. they play their music well but gently caress they're boring the rest of the time

they're pretty much stored in my brain as part of an amorphous blob alongside Razorlight and Keane and the Killers and probably ten other not-bad-but-not-particularly-interesting-in-any-sense bands that wouldn't stop being played everywhere in the mid 2000s, all with lyrics that never held up to any kind of scrutiny in the "do they make any sense whatsoever" stakes

I'm glad you mentioned you were not a soldier, what with you having soul and all I would have definitely assumed otherwise

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Jose posted:

i have a confession to make, i very rarely actually listen to the lyrics in songs and as such prefer stuff without or don't care if its in a language i don't understand if it sounds good

i wish i could do this, every now and then I'll notice a particularly forced rhyme or clunky phrase in an otherwise decent song and I'll know it will be forever tarnished, at least a little bit. when I am sent to hell for my sins my punishment will be listening to Des'ree on an infinite loop

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

well that was definitely a welcome change of pace after The Ancient Forest of Elves

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Zephro posted:

I just made some jam. I hope I'm not purged from the thread for my far-left, Stalinist leanings :ohdear:

We're going to have to examine what you've had on every sandwich for at least two years back before we can make a final decision. Once a traitor to the cause, always a traitor to the cause. And in what direction you sliced it going back five.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Surely cannibal spiders would just be ones that eat other spiders

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Zephro posted:

edit: would gaffer tape work for maximum Heath Robinson homebrewing points?

if your setup doesn't have at least one jug of steaming water moving a pinwheel then why even bother

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

inflated the condom with yeast spooge.

okay that's enough of this thread for me today

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

hakimashou posted:

pissflaps gets probated for 3 days and the British Politics thread is "what movies do you like" and "what music do you like."

loving shame on all of you.

i actually found it quite pleasant to have a brief respite from having the same three arguments about corbyn ad infinitum

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I could definitely believe that Prince Charles was chosen to punish us

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Yep.

If there were genuine leadership problems, why were they only cited two months AFTER the resignations?

As politicians, they've long since learned to say whatever seems like it'll most quickly get them what they want and get people on side that a thing is terrible, rather than explain what their actual reasons for holding that position is

can't trust the common person to comprehend a point of view, just need to find the right magic sentence to say to worm into their brain cavities. Strong hand gesture. The Brexit, let's say something about the Brexit.

see also why nobody likes politicians

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Although if you live in a world where it's even possible for someone to automatically detect when people say a guy's name then I can understand you being a little hesitant to do so while he's killing people all over the place, even if they're not actively doing it yet

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

my drug is reading the united kingdom mega thread on the something awful dot com forums

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Spangly A posted:

Although I don't think Jeremy Corbyn gets how the rule of three works

you're not supposed to make three related and in depth statements

i hope those microphones were really well amplified because it does feel like half of his closing point on that facebook video would have been completely inaudible over the applause

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

they forgot to capitalise Correct, poor show

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

We're a drat sight prettier than all those wrinkled, flaking olds, so yeah I don't know what point he's trying to make there

Speak for yourself

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

The Saurus posted:

People really do live too long nowadays. By the time you inherit anything, you're already an old oval office yourself.

Which is why inheritance tax should be 100% or more somehow so that us younguns can get an opportunity to feast on that sweet, sweet old person flesh money

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Okay I've thought about it and over-100% inheritance tax seems like a great idea. Instead of choosing who'll get cash from your death in your will, you get to pick who has to give up some of the money they already own to the state. This is going to be fantastic

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I agree with Kate Gibbs of the Road Haulage Association. Spectacular waste of money, & worse than that, the usual case of British conservative politicians just copying the worst of nutty American conservative politics. Though we usually lag behind a bit more than this so that's concerning.

The wall just got 13ft higher. Sad!

Pissflaps posted:

There is one.

are you a robot

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

if you instantaneously took away some energy from the moon (by, say, firing a big rocket booster from it) then the moon would actually speed up as its new orbit would take it slightly closer to Earth giving it more KE to play with. Take away enough and the new orbit would intersect the Earth, however, so don't do that.

I dunno i can think of a lot of positive changes this could bring about

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

TomViolence posted:

Even the Britain First paramilitary rambler's retreat could spring for some proper snacks.

EDIT: Although that Kingsmill 50/50 loaf is surely crossing the line imo.

at least they're open to mixing white and brown in some context

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Jose posted:

So post them once a month as a tracker and not every other day

i would support this, polls are a thing to talk about and all but a bit of a break between them would be nice, even fortnightly or weekly

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

The media does have a big role in how politics is viewed but I think it's more to do with the ideology of those running the papers and of Market Forces seeping through the organisations and out through their output rather than a deliberate plan on anyone's part. Still pretty poo poo though

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I for one was definitely expecting one rally to solve all the local and national issues with the labour party and doubtless so were the attendees

this is a great conversation, let's have it again every few hours

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

look the plan of seeking long-term change within the labour party isn't immediately resulting in gains in the short term so it's clearly not working.

round and round the merry go round we go

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

Was it one of those weird british shows where there's only like 5 episodes?

no it's going on forever

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It... certainly sounds like it.

"All schools in an area will be part of the same trust but individual schools will be segregated by race and religion."

:wtc:

reminds me a lot of this thing I watched about Berkeley High School (via here), which is somewhat similarly a group of schools that are diverse overall but individually... not. note that this cannot possibly go wrong at all:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

It's really weird because it kinda sounds like she's saying mono-racial schools already exist. Did I miss something? I guess there probably are some areas of the country where there's point-five of a black person per five hundred students but it's not as if that's by design, right

right

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

CLP conference business meeting tonight devolved into angry shouting and procedural jargon about motions and confidence in the chair and overruling and gently caress I don't know, in respect to a motion someone made about the elected-shadow-cabinet thing.

All a bit messy. And to no avail either way since there was no procedural way for the point to be made even if the various motions had succeeded.

This sounds like a great environment to get the new members enthusiastic to get stuck in. I am filled with hope and optimism for the future of the country.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

has he said anything more about his wang

please tell me he has told us more about his wang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

floofyscorp posted:

Today in the Guardian, "Secure jobs are boring, so are zero-hour contracts really that bad?" asks someone who has evidently never experienced income insecurity in her life. Bonus points for 'the left is to blame'!

This article makes some really good points, especially as a single full-time 90-hour-per-week job for life with one company and an insecure zero-hours contract where your employer decides which hours you work two minutes before you start are the only two possible ways for employment to work, and so we should let people have a choice between them rather than forcing everyone to work full time in one drudgy office job for the whole of their life, as I imagine is the current labour policy [can one of the subs check this before printing if we have time? i can't be bothered to look it up myself]

• Locked thread