Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Poque posted:

That Strop timeline is mind-boggling. I was kind of hoping Joe Smith would be banished to the land of wind and ghosts like Jason Motte was at the end of last season, though.

I don't think Joe Smith is a fair comparison to Jason Motte. Motte was a very good cheerleader for the team and I'm pretty sure Smith isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Eat poo poo, Twins.

Way ahead of you, buddy.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Explosionface posted:

I don't think Joe Smith is a fair comparison to Jason Motte. Motte was a very good cheerleader for the team and I'm pretty sure Smith isn't.

Plus Jason Motte's beard can serve as a convenient location for storing snacks, toys, pets, etc.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Kyle Hendricks now leads the Cubs starting rotation in fWAR, which is impressive given how invested fWAR is in FIP.

Poque posted:

That Strop timeline is mind-boggling.

Obviously some of it is age/athleticism, but my dad (54) had the same surgery and he wasn't even able to break into a brisk walk for a month. Strop is already jogging and throwing from the mound and it hasn't even been three weeks since the surgery. :eyepop:

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Yohander Mendez was one of the Rangers' September callups, which is mostly notable because it pretty much eliminates the possibility that he was the PTBNL in the Lucroy trade, although it wasn't very likely to begin with

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

fWAR basically is FIP. the r2 is like -.962

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
I don't know too much about the management and contracts side of baseball. Can someone explain to me how a guy (Puig) can be put on waivers, and then after he gets claimed the team just says "Oh, nevermind"?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I don't know too much about the management and contracts side of baseball. Can someone explain to me how a guy (Puig) can be put on waivers, and then after he gets claimed the team just says "Oh, nevermind"?

That's basically how waivers work. Wikipedia explains it pretty well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_transactions#Waivers

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
They're called revocable waivers. Basically it's a way just to test the water and see if anyone's stupid and/or desperate enough to vastly overpay for whatever you're offering. A lot of players get put on waivers and most of the time no-one really cares since either a) they're not famous enough or b) they're never going to actually be traded. Puig being waived was news because he's a big name who looks like he's on his way out of LA sooner rather than later.

The timeline goes: you place a player on waivers. Each other team gets an opportunity to claim him (the order is based on team records worst-to-best in first your league then the other - for Puig it would go from Atlanta through to the Cubs, then the Twins through to Texas). Once the player's been claimed you can either agree on a trade with the team who claimed him or you take him back off waivers if you can't get the deal done.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 1, 2016

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Also it's worth noting that if you claim someone on those waivers, the waiving team can be like "okay he's yours" and put you on the hook for the rest of the player's deal and there's nothing you can do about it. Hence a player clearing waivers in August means nobody was willing to risk having that player dumped on them

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Also it's worth noting that if you claim someone on those waivers, the waiving team can be like "okay he's yours" and put you on the hook for the rest of the player's deal and there's nothing you can do about it. Hence a player clearing waivers in August means nobody was willing to risk having that player dumped on them
And of course Puig was claimed quickly because his contract is still quite cheap.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
This is what we get for saying nice things about Strop's rapid recovery.

https://twitter.com/chicagopixels/status/771464755626307584

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Sydin posted:

This is what we get for saying nice things about Strop's rapid recovery.

https://twitter.com/chicagopixels/status/771464755626307584

So he was going to be out 4-6 weeks, he was going to come back right at the 4 week mark and now he'll probably be back at the 6 week mark.

Also surprising nobody, Joe Smith is off the DL. Chris Coghlan is also off the DL (and is starting tonight) and the Cubs have filled roster spot #40 with Jake Buchanan. Released by the Astros in ST, the Cubs picked him up and shoved him in AAA. Here's his line:

12-8, 4.34 ERA, 141 IP, 154 H, 6 HR against, 38 BB, 105 K, 1.362 WHIP, 2.76 K/BB ratio.

Looks like a decent enough long relief guy/spot starter once the #1 seed is wrapped up.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Julio Cruz posted:

They're called revocable waivers. Basically it's a way just to test the water and see if anyone's stupid and/or desperate enough to vastly overpay for whatever you're offering. A lot of players get put on waivers and most of the time no-one really cares since either a) they're not famous enough or b) they're never going to actually be traded. Puig being waived was news because he's a big name who looks like he's on his way out of LA sooner rather than later.

The timeline goes: you place a player on waivers. Each other team gets an opportunity to claim him (the order is based on team records worst-to-best in first your league then the other - for Puig it would go from Atlanta through to the Cubs, then the Twins through to Texas). Once the player's been claimed you can either agree on a trade with the team who claimed him or you take him back off waivers if you can't get the deal done.

How long does a team have to put in a claim for a player before the next team has a chance?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I can't believe Pear Baby didn't make the 40 man roster

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Retail Slave posted:

How long does a team have to put in a claim for a player before the next team has a chance?

I think everyone just puts in a claim or doesn't, and whichever team has first dibs that claims a guy gets him after 24 hours. Unless it's revoked of course.

I vaguely remember reading an article about post-waiver trades and how they almost never happened back in the day (when contracts were a lot smaller of course). One GM got credit for letting people go through, although I can't remember who at all.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

DJ LeMahieu is batting .345? Holy crap.

:getin:

Retail Slave posted:

I wish we had that guy back.
no.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Wtf are the Rockies doing to have an offense like that and still be so bad?
see below

bawfuls posted:

Hi have you heard of a place called Coors Field?
:ughh: it's not the ballpark's fault

CubsWoo posted:

4.89 team ERA (27th,) 4.32 FIP (18th,) 638 RA (27th,) 22 blown saves (27th,) we can go on
It's been mostly on the bullpen and walking guys at real in opportune times, which gives the losses in 1-run games. (The SP haven't been too bad, just a staff of mostly young guys) They're still a pretty young team and this was the bridge year to 2017. Better to have a lovely record in those games with a team "rebuilding" than a championship level team. These guys will learn from this year and be ready to handle those situations going forward when they will be a contending team. It's just like the 2005/2006 seasons going into 2007.

The Rockies are the only team with a positive run differential and a sub .500 record.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 2, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Retail Slave posted:

There is no next team. Everyone claims and it goes off of reverse record in the original team's league, then the opposite league. Whomever wins the claim is the only team that can trade for (or just get) the player if the original team doesn't pull him back. That's why you hear about teams "blocking" waiver trades sometimes.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: He's coming back

https://twitter.com/McCulloughTimes/status/771538484033036289

V: This season is going to make for a great story if he has a hot month or so.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 2, 2016

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

this terrible baseball man is never going to play for our team again. let's trade for hot garbage and demote him and publicly bash him only to have the hot garbage flame out. then we can just call him back up a couple weeks later.

-- something people paid millions of dollars thought up

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
These same people actively sought out and acquired already-injured and oft-injured pitchers then wonder why their pitchers are always hurt though, so

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

These same people actively sought out and acquired already-injured and oft-injured pitchers then wonder why their pitchers are always hurt though, so
And the pitchers they did this with, collectively have been quite effective. So effective that the Dodgers are in first place!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Also this is happening

https://twitter.com/billplunkettocr/status/771560686472146944

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
I think two of the funnier waiver deals were the Padres blocking the Braves from getting Randy Myers, even though the Braves said they were never interested in claiming Myers.

And the Yankees claiming Canseco from the Devil Rays and the Devil Rays saying, "Okay, you keep him." Haha.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Can you imagine being some A ball dude trying to grind your way to the majors and you show up to your next game and see that you'll be batting against Clayton Kershaw?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

bawfuls posted:

And the pitchers they did this with, collectively have been quite effective. So effective that the Dodgers are in first place!

Only needed like 15 starting pitchers too!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The cubs

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Quite mediocre you mean

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

Can you imagine being some A ball dude trying to grind your way to the majors and you show up to your next game and see that you'll be batting against Clayton Kershaw?

Honestly I'd be too distracted by trying to figure out how to stave off the soul-crushing depression stemming from being a few weeks away from starting my off season job laying shingles or whatever to get too worked up over it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Well I guess I'll know within the next two weeks whether or not the Astros can pack in their season. 3@Tex, 4@Cle, 3vsCubs, 3vsTex

Ooof

If they can get through that and stay in striking distance of the wild card they have a shot since the rest of the season is Seattle, Oakland and Anaheim, but I could easily see them coming out of that stretch something like 5-8 or 4-9 and their season being over

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

A lot of LA doesn't get the Dodgers' channel so this is nice

https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/771719019002945536

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

The Cincinnati Reds were mathematically eliminated from the NL Central last night for the first elimination of the season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Explosionface posted:

The Cincinnati Reds were mathematically eliminated from the NL Central last night for the first elimination of the season.

Twins and Braves were eliminated from their divisions in August. e: well, the Twins were at least. Not sure about the Braves.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 2, 2016

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

I can't believe Pear Baby didn't make the 40 man roster

Pear Baby is probably around the same age as Addison Russell

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

IcePhoenix posted:

Twins and Braves were eliminated from their divisions in August. e: well, the Twins were at least. Not sure about the Braves.

Twins are out because the Indians and Tigers have too many games remaining against each other, right? I think the Braves are still barely in contention in the slimmest mathematical sense, but it's all weirdo scenarios where the Nats have to lose all their remaining games to the Mets and Marlins and then the Mets and Marlins have to split their remaining games.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

Twins are out because the Indians and Tigers have too many games remaining against each other, right? I think the Braves are still barely in contention in the slimmest mathematical sense, but it's all weirdo scenarios where the Nats have to lose all their remaining games to the Mets and Marlins and then the Mets and Marlins have to split their remaining games.

Someone on reddit did the math but yeah, due to the division games remaining the AL Central will be won with a minimum of 79 games and the Twins have 84 losses, meaning a max of 78 wins.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/802c.mp4

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Puig still isn't running out grounders eh?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Hawk Harrelson: Kris Bryant is no Todd Frazier

https://twitter.com/laurencomitor/status/771547853147602946

Here's the transcript if the audio on this is too low

quote:

Hawk Harrelson: “You know, we talk about batting average being one of the most misleading statistics in baseball. Kris Bryant, gunning for MVP, probably got a leg up on most guys over there.”

Steve Stone: “You would think so.”

Harrelson: “Well, he’s got 36 home runs and 91 RBIs. And he’s a good third baseman, you know, he’s no Todd Frazier defensively.

Stone: “Nolan Arenado is state of the art.”

Harrelson: “Yeah, but I’m talking about these two.”

Stone: “Yep, OK.”

Harrelson: “He’s got, running for that MVP, he’s got two more home runs than Todd, and seven more RBIs. But he’s hitting 95 points higher. So the batting averages can really be skewed.”

Stone: “It’s true.”

Harrelson: “As I said with the way that Todd shows his leather at third.”

Stone: “Also playing with a team 39 over .500.” [changes subject]

Harrelson: “You talk about the Cubs, 39 games over, they scored 137 more runs than we have,” he said. “And yet, as I said, Todd’s only two home runs and seven RBIs behind [Bryant].”

Note: Todd Frazier has a UZR of -4.7 this year compared to Bryant's +3.2 (not to mention Bryant's positive UZR at 1B and all three OF positions)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GeneX posted:

The cubs

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2016/09/01/1120237683/1472693336842/asset_1200K.mp4

Pear baby is pro Cubs.

• Locked thread