Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I didn't realize it until now but Vin Scully is one of those people who you can hear his voice when you read those words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I am a fan of that thing.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

These stories are all v. interesting.

Thanks Vin

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Traxis posted:

Someone needs to build an AI that can do that with a Vin Scully voice synthesizer. If we can't have robo-umps at least give is robo-announcers.

God knows there are enough recordings of his voice to provide all the needed phonemes.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I just realized that because I'm going to be spending the day flying, I won't be able to hear Vin's final game. :smith:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Traxis posted:

Someone needs to build an AI that can do that with a Vin Scully voice synthesizer. If we can't have robo-umps at least give is robo-announcers.

A European IT outfit literally did this for Roger Ebert after he lost his jaw. We need to get a hold of them.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/09/30/the-cardinals-will-not-exercise-matt-hollidays-2017-option/

The Cards aren't going to exercise Holliday's 2017 option

RIP Moth ear/Dickshot :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
N: https://twitter.com/Mets/status/781963087540654080

V: Robert Gsellman is extremely handsome and good and he has cool tattoos. :allears:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Carlton Banks posted:

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/09/30/the-cardinals-will-not-exercise-matt-hollidays-2017-option/

It would be terrible to exercise that option. Holliday has been great for the Cardinals, but the time has come to cut ties. It just sucks that his last at bat was an HBP to the loving hand :( (if they don't make the playoffs). They should let him pinch run or something to get an ovation one of these days if the games become meaningless.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

ESPN ranks it 30/30. Baseball-Reference gives it a park value of 89 which is last in MLB. The Astros's collective OPS is 41 points higher on the road.

Which is, unless someone has a compelling explanation for it, just a weird one-year anomaly at this point. Every other season back to when the Astros joined the AL ranges from relatively neutral to hitter-friendly. The dong factor since then(which conveniently lines up with renovations the Rangers did in the Ballpark that mostly killed the jetstream effect) has actually been higher at Minute Maid until this year. And again, it's literally 315 feet from home to the Crawford Boxes

As far as his BABIP goes, you could just take his career aggregate and draw a lazy conclusion from that, but .340 is right in line with his big breakout seasons(.339/.344) so it's not some huge fluke he's never kept up over a full season before, and .340 isn't some crazy outlandish number to begin with. You'd expect it from someone hitting like a good hitter

And I guess if you're actually inclined to watch the games you would probably notice how much more under control his mechanics are at the plate after the Rangers acquired him, but hey, ~lol eye tests~

Intruder posted:

Which might not be inaccurate, see: JD Martinez, Jonathan Villar, Robbie Grossman all after leaving Houston. Hell, look at Gomez's numbers in Arlington

As someone who loves Astros failure I would like this to be true but it's still probably not enough to declare it a pattern yet. It's only a handful of guys with tons of confounding factors.

That said, Martinez and Gomez at least have both credited swing changes for their resurgences(or I guess just surgence in JD's case) so it's hard not to wonder if the Astros just missed something, or if they recognized changes that needed to be made but failed the players from an instructional standpoint. Gomez went through a real ugly week when he first got here but you could tell the quality of his at-bats were sharply improving even if the results were poo poo, and then all of a sudden he started mashing. Who knows, maybe the Astros told him to do the same poo poo he's doing now but they couldn't get him to listen.

Actual news: Choo made it back, and I have to think there's a real possibility Mazara gets left off the postseason roster right now

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
N: Stubhub just locked my account and baseball now starts at 1AM. I took out extra insurance on my northside apartment and car and went to Europe for the month.

V: I will at least be drinking less at Oktoberfest than at Cubs playoff games. Might have to sell some tickets here unless Stubhub un-decides I'm a ticket-terrorist.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Carlton Banks posted:

Smart move, but it sucks. He was closing in on 2000 hits and 300 home runs, if I remember correctly.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

It's literally the least hitter-friendly park in baseball this year. And a BABIP 25 points over your career mark is pretty unsustainable, yes.

OH NO his batting average might drop to 280!

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Dexo posted:

Um that would be a pretty big switch for the area. I mean your only real problem around Wrigley would be drunk rear end white dudes jumping/flipping cars and climbing poo poo.

nah - crime is moving north now

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pancakes posted:

Smart move, but it sucks. He was closing in on 2000 hits and 300 home runs, if I remember correctly.

Indeed he was, which he will probably get with some AL team next year.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Indeed he was, which he will probably get with some AL team next year.

Yeah, it's just bittersweet that the big milestones seem to happen so infrequently on the Cardinals now. Despite the narrative of them being an old team, they don't seem to hang on to too many players past their prime. It'll be like watching Albert hit his 3000th hit or 600th home run. I'll be happy he made it, happy that we're not paying him anymore but a little sad that he didn't reach that milestone with us. I distinctly remember thinking of getting tickets to that Cubs series since there was a chance Holliday would hit #2000 on the last day of the series, then Montgomery (I think) happened.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Which is, unless someone has a compelling explanation for it, just a weird one-year anomaly at this point. Every other season back to when the Astros joined the AL ranges from relatively neutral to hitter-friendly. The dong factor since then(which conveniently lines up with renovations the Rangers did in the Ballpark that mostly killed the jetstream effect) has actually been higher at Minute Maid until this year. And again, it's literally 315 feet from home to the Crawford Boxes

So if the ballpark's not to blame, he was just really lovely in Houston for nearly a full season. Check.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

As far as his BABIP goes, you could just take his career aggregate and draw a lazy conclusion from that, but .340 is right in line with his big breakout seasons(.339/.344) so it's not some huge fluke he's never kept up over a full season before, and .340 isn't some crazy outlandish number to begin with. You'd expect it from someone hitting like a good hitter

And I guess if you're actually inclined to watch the games you would probably notice how much more under control his mechanics are at the plate after the Rangers acquired him, but hey, ~lol eye tests~

Yeah he's had two good seasons when his BABIP's been high. He's also had 4 or 5 really bad seasons when his BABIP's been low. He's clearly an extremely inconsistent player, and more likely to go on a season-long slump than he is to hit well for a full season. And he's turning 31 over the offseason. I'm not saying there won't be a market for him, I just think someone's going to look at his numbers with the Rangers and pay more than I believe he's worth given his entire career.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros gave up two of their top 10 prospects for two guys who did nothing but be terrible for them. Awesome

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
So, Mark Trumbo for Steve Clevenger, eh? The guy leading MLB in homers for the guy leading MLB in being racist on Facebook.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Jfc, I just saw on a pregame highlight that there is a guy on the dodgers named kike Hernandez. Please tell me it is at least pronounced kiki

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

The Glumslinger posted:

Jfc, I just saw on a pregame highlight that there is a guy on the dodgers named kike Hernandez. Please tell me it is at least pronounced kiki

Kee-kay.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

unless you're with the Giants, then there's some extra K's too

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
On the jumbotron at Citi Field they use Enrique Hernandez instead because lol no way that would fly here

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

It took me a while to accept that they would post this as the guy's name, especially because it's a nickname

e: also :rip: blue jays

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

That screenshot never gets old

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/carmenkiew/status/782060901603999744
Angel Pagan doesn't gently caress around. Posey pushed someone who ran onto the field, too.

Edit: NOW WITH VIDEO

https://twitter.com/ericoconnor22/status/782061896446779392

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 1, 2016

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Please.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

THIS IS LITERALLY THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE :stwoon:

The Berzerker