Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
:siren: Everyone go vote for your most and least favorite players of 2016! You have until 11:59pm September 3! :siren:

edit: Eastern time!

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

FlamingLiberal posted:

God the Marlins were a tire fire this month

I am pleasantly surprised by how well the Mets are doing against them this series. I especially thought the Fernandez-Montero game was going to end in tears.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
N: I just saw on SNY that the Mets are expected to make an announcement about deGrom.

V: :rip:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Probad posted:

Chapman beat him out I guess

I see what you did there

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
N: Matt Shoemaker got hit in the face by a 105-mph line drive off the bat of Kyle Seager.

https://twitter.com/Angels/status/772580142811983872

V: I really hope he is/will be okay.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

ALFbrot posted:

congrats on your five automatic wins, the pirates have completely mailed it in

That's what they get for demoting Jeff Locke. :colbert:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

ALFbrot posted:

Actually, it's what we get for letting him pitch

I know, but I still miss him. :smith: Speaking strictly as a Pirates non-fan, obviously.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Everyone who didn't put him on their most favorite list is wrong, including myself.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

ALFbrot posted:

Yes, I agree, memes are very "le good"

Why do you hate fun?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

bawfuls posted:

also Kershaw v Fernandez is the free game of the day on MLB.tv today so you should go ahead and watch that starting in 10 minutes

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Jose Fernandez now has 238 strikeouts in 167 innings

I am extremely sad that I missed this game.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

As long as he doesn't pull his hamstring cheering and force everyone to hate him again, I'm going to allow it. #PuigMyFriend

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Crazy Ted posted:

Mitch Williams just got his rear end beat down in court with respect to his attempts to sue MLB Network and Gawker for various things:

I kind of want an excuse to call someone a squirrelly little teapot now.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

The Berzerker posted:

going back a couple of pages but I think they got the idea from the Jays (or vice versa), at the Skydome they do the "Roof Report with Josh Donaldson" where it has this big announcement and then Donaldson says either "It's open" or "It's closed" all disinterested and then the big outro

They got Adam Conley to do something similar a while ago.

https://twitter.com/MarlinsPark/status/735099825973121024

A pompous intro & outro would have been nice, but alas.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Popete posted:

Have you heard of our lord and savior the Cubs?

No.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Noted awful person Yasiel Puig visits a fan who broke their face trying to catch a ball.

http://twitter.com/LosDodgers/status/776227819567415296

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

So is this Syndergaard, deGrom, or Gsellman? :haw:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

bawfuls posted:

https://twitter.com/Adrian_ElTitan/status/778354928414699520

Dodgers players trolling Bumgarner is my favorite thing

This is AMAZING.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

DeepDickPizza posted:

Puig's tweet with the shirts is even funnier, partly because it has the hilarious #PuigYourFriend hashtag.
https://twitter.com/yasielpuig/status/778357897696677888

I'm going to need to buy about 15 of these shirts.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Yasiel Puig is my favorite person.

Ice To Meet You posted:

Conduct like that will get him beaned at least twice.

MadBum is going to throw a 99-mph fastball wrapped in barbed wire at his head.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm assuming nobody talked about this because Braves fans have moved on to football and Mets fans all killed themselves after it happened

:ghost: It's true. :ghost:

:rip:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I feel like the Barves have pulled some sort of pool shark-esque maneuver, where they feigned terribleness for the sole purpose of getting everyone to let their guard down.

edit:

Popete posted:

Here is a hot take.

I actually love bunts and I don't understand all the hate. Bunt singles are some of the most fun plays to watch. Give me all your suicide squeeze.

Good bunts are good, really bad bunts are hilarious, Bundt cakes are gross, and "sac bunt" is fun to say. These are my buntpinions.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Aw, Bart joshin' with the kiddos :unsmith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

DeepDickPizza posted:

Bundt simply refers to the shape of the pan. What is "gross" to you about a round cake with a hole in the middle?

Nail Rat posted:

More like butt cake. It's spelled almost like butt and it looks like a butt.

:colbert:

Nah, but seriously, I think the only Bundt cakes I've ever had were just dry and nasty, with the exception of pineapple upside-down Bundt cake, which was WET (not moist) and nasty.

quote:

A bundt cake done properly can allow a very nice frosting to cake ratio that is quite delicious. No, sir, I'm afraid this is a terrible buntpinion. :colbert:

It's "ma'am", and I hate frosting.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Steve Clevenger posted:

I once again apologize to anyone who was offended today and I just ask you not judge me off of a social media posting.

First of all, it was multiple postings.

Second of all, I'm tired of racists acting like the internet is somehow not real life. He sat down at a computer and posted the racist thoughts in his mind -- he didn't slip, fall, and land on his keyboard.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Tender Bender posted:

lmao this is what Cubs fans think BLM is?

I thought Retail Slave was a Pirates fan.

Popete posted:

"First and foremost I would like to apologize to the SAS posters, my family and the fans of our great forum for the distraction my posts on my personal account caused when they went public earlier today. I am sickened by the idea that anyone would think of me in racist terms. My posts were reactionary to the events I saw in the thread and were worded beyond poorly at best and I can see how and why someone could read into my posts far more deeply than how I actually feel.
"I grew up on the threads of Something Awful, a forum I love to this very day. I grew up in a very culturally homogeneous area of the internet and I am very proud to come from there. I am also proud that my inner circle of friends has never been defined by race but by the content of their posts. Any former poster or anyone who has met me can attest to this and I pride myself on not being a judgemental person. I just ask that the public not judge me because of an ill worded post.
"I do believe that supporting our First Amendment rights and supporting forum posting are not mutually exclusive. With everything going on in the world I really just want what is best for everyone regardless of who they are. I like many posters are frustrated by a lot of things in the world and I would like to be a part of the dialogue moving forward to make this a better forum for everyone.
" I once again apologize to anyone who was offended today and I just ask you not judge me off of a forum posting. Thank you and God bless everyone."

Popete

:golfclap:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
gently caress 2016. Jose Fernandez was the loving best.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, this is hitting me a lot harder than I would have expected. That video of him catching the Tulo liner and their reactions is one of those "peak baseball" things for me, it's such an amazing snag an their reactions are just too good.

Same. The thing is, I have no actual reason to be a fan of the Marlins -- they're division rivals of the Mets (edit: also I've only been to Florida and I hated it) -- but I was charmed into liking them, by a few of the players but especially Fernandez. He was just super fun to watch, even when he was owning the poo poo out of the Mets, so lively and spirited, always with a huge smile, that baseball is just going to be all-around worse without him.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Carlosologist posted:

Brian McCann was in tears when he heard the news, I don't think its even fair to be mad about that anymore

And all things considered, I don't really think McCann got in his face to be a jerk. I think he was trying to uphold an old, fun-killing, traditional baseball standard unnecessarily, but it didn't come from a place of malevolence -- it came from a place of concern.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Intruder posted:

He never even got to meet his child, really terrible :(

I was just talking with one of my friends, joking around about how his Instagram was going to be annoying a few months from now because he seemed like the kind of guy who would post proud dad pictures all the time. So loving sad.

Sydin posted:

loving hell he was younger than me.

Me too. 24 is just way too young to die.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Grem posted:

Someone post the Tulo gift please. I'm stunned.

I can barely even stand to look at it, but here

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

ProperCoochie posted:

Jose Fernandez is dead and John Rocker still walks the earth.

And Jonathan Papelbon, and Donald Trump too. Everything sucks.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
So like, I just have to keep living my life normally as if it's just totally fine and normal that Jose Fernandez is dead, is that right? Why can't there be a "guy who I watched throw a bunch of baseballs on TV" clause in my company's bereavement leave policy?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

WaryWarren posted:

This, but unironically.

You thought I was being ironic? I can't fall asleep, I've eaten half a breakfast platter all day (to be fair, part of the lack of appetite was being hung over, but still), and I need to be out the door in eight hours. I'm going to be a wreck tomorrow.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

IcePhoenix posted:

Can you take a sick day?

I can, and I am tempted, but our sick days and vacation days (edit for clarity) are one & the same, so I'm a bit conservative about using them. :patriot:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

IcePhoenix posted:

well those aren't sick days then, they just make you use vacation (which sucks, I am sorry friend)

I make really good money, so don't be TOO sorry.

Retail Slave posted:

Mental health days are important though.

You're not wrong, but 1) I'd feel weird about doing that because I feel like I'm not supposed to care this much, and 2) maybe getting out of the apartment & doing some work will be a welcome distraction.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Retail Slave posted:

So feel weird for a little bit, and then tell yourself that you work hard and it's ok to take a day now and then. I don't know what you do for a living, but I promise you that nobody will die or get hurt or the company will not go out of business because you won't be there tomorrow.

Ugh, stop being right at me. :argh:

quote:

Just be far enough away to where there's no risk of bumping into anyone from work.

I live almost 20 miles away from my job, I should be fine as long as whatever I do is within walking distance. I'll figure something out. Thanks for the advice.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

He was a person and it is always cool to care about people

Agreed.

I took the day off, by the way. I think it's going to be a self-care "watching internet videos of kittens meowing/people falling down" kind of day. Thanks for not judging me, everybody. :unsmith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Retail Slave posted:

Agreed. Arnold Palmers are awesome.

I had an alcoholic Arnold Palmer at the Mets vs. Phillies game on Saturday. It ruled.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Inspector_666 posted:

That's a John Daly.

Well they called it a Triple Play at Citi Field. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Carlosologist posted:

https://twitter.com/clarkspencer/status/780447675099459584

this is gonna be one of those games, where it's eerie the whole way through

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to watch this one.

Retail Slave posted:

Fernandez wasn't driving the boat, correct? It sucks even more if he's not here anymore because one of his friends was driving like a loving dumbass.

He wasn't.

• Locked thread