Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Congrats to Aredna for winning season 3!

We begin as we must always begin, with the official Calvinball theme song. (Feel free to join in harmonizing on the rum tum tums)

OFFICIAL CALVINBALL FF SONG
Other leagues' games are all such a bore!
They've gotta have rules and they gotta keep score!
Calvinball is better by far!
It's never the same! It's always bizarre!
You don't need a GM or a referee!
You know that it's great, 'cause it's named after me!

THE UNCHANGING RULES OF THE CALVINBALL LEAGUE
1. All players must wear a mask.
.......a. No one may question the masks.
2. Every week each player may change one scoring rule, provided that rule has not:
.......a. Already been changed by someone else that week.
.......b. The rule has not already been played in the same way this season. (Not strictly enforced, but if someone notices and mentions that a player keeps "resetting" a favorite rule every other week, actions will be considered. Change it up, keep it fun.
.......c. No rule can overturn or change the week's Calvinball rule.
3. All rules should be declared in this thread using the following format:

NEW RULE! NEW RULE!
Week 2: Completions are now worth -3 points!!!

4. All rules must apply to the entire league, no singling people or a team's specific players out.
5. Enforcement of the rules is everyone's responsibility. If something is amiss, mention it in the thread. Be honest, the game is only fun if everyone participates.
6. Mom says no: All rules must be implementable on ESPN, anything that can't be implemented due to software limitations will be declared void due to parental oversight. Seriously, you'll put your eye out and it's been well established that Anubis can't do math.
7. For the sake of the GM's sanity, rules should be declared between the last whistle of Monday after Sunday night football and to dusk on Wednesday, when our mothers call us in to take a bath. New rule changes won't take effect until after the previous week (Monday Night Football) is done and ESPN has a chance to put in any scoring changes Tuesday morning.
8. Everyone must play all of their (valid) starters. ESPN doesn't allow league rosters to change week to week so there will be may be spots left open if those have been turned off by a rule change. Also, all of your rostered players must see the field, so using backup quarterbacks (unless that is literally all that is available and valid) is potentially unacceptable. If a player gets struck by lightning pregame and doesn't see a snap but there was no way for you to know, we will deal with it on the fly as best we can.

THE CALVINBALL
The team with the worst score the week prior is declared to have the Calvinball. If you posses the Calvinball during the rules declaration period you can use it and send player(s) to jail for the week. Example:
"Example posted:
quote:
I HAVE THE CALVINABALL! I HAVE THE CALVINBALL!
Week 3: I hit "Chris" with the Calvinball. Anyone with the first name of Chris goes to jail and has to be benched this week!
The above would require all players with the name "Chris" be benched for week 3. So, Chris Johnson and Chris Ivory are both sitting this week. Do not make these overly broad! This is about fun, not sending someone to the waiver wire to research backup punters.
You may also use the Calvinball to make an extra rule adjustment about the roster, be sure to declare that it's your Calvinball rule since Calvinball rules do not carry over to the following week.

As with last season, I'll create the league with huge rosters and benches. We are starting the season with your basic QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, FLEX(no qb), K, DEF setup until rules start changing it. As always I'm looking for help GMing this chaotic mess. If I don't get some more volunteers I'm making everyone GM and we're going to play by the honor system.

Anubis fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
FAQ
Q: What the hell is this?
A: The fantasy football equivalent of a game the 80s-90s comic strip characters Calvin and Hobbes would play. Calvin was a free spirit, hating the claustrophobic rules of normal organized sports and competitions. This lead him and Hobbes (his stuffed tiger) to create their own game with rules they made up as they went. In a lot of ways, Calvinball has always been played by children the world over.

Q: So, you just change the rules each week?
A: Yes, everyone gets 1 rule change a week that they can use however they want. If they want to make it a 2QB league or they want to suddenly make rushing yards -70 per yard, perfectly acceptable. Rules carry over until someone else changes them in a following week. There's also a special rule every week called the "Calvinball rule" that you can read about in the rules above.

Q: Do you do a normal draft?
A: Our drafts are glorious. Seriously, there is no overstating the wonder of seeing a sudden round 6 run on defenses.

Q: Can I join?
A: If you weren't in it last year post and put your name on the waiting list, it's very likely we will have openings.

Last years players:

Aredna - Confirmed returning
Marshmallow Blue - Confirmed returning
Fenrir - Confirmed returning
Baldrash - Confirmed returning
gardenald - Gone
Anubis - Confirmed returning
KalenSC - Gone
Fight Club Sandwich - Gone
JPrime - Confirmed returning
OxySnake - Confirmed returning
3 DONG HORSE - Gone
Yoshifan823 - Gone

Wait List (If you posted to be on the wait list in the S3 thread and I missed you, link to your post and I'll slot you in where you belong)
Teeter
Teemu Pokemon
Nephzinho
Ches Neckbeard
McStabby

MISS WORMWOOD
Endzone HO!..............................5-1
The Babysat..............................4-2
The End Zone is Lava.....................4-2
A Nauseous Nocturne......................3-3
The Grude Abides.........................2-4
MAKING FANTASY GREAT AGAIN...............0-6

ROSALYN
Get Rid of Stupid KickerS................6-0
The Noodle Incidents.....................3-3
All QBs are Just Sacked .................3-3
The Revenge of Goodelled.................3-3
Y as IN Y do We Care - ..................2-4
Hill and Bernard.........................1-5

Anubis fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 25, 2016

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
We're going to have to go for either Monday or Tuesday for a draft day, if either of those don't work for you speak up and we'll do our best to make sure people don't auto.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

It's been a great 3 seasons, this league is so much fun but i can't keep up with weekly rule and roster changes with new IRL responsibilities, i'll let someone else join the fun

Thanks again for all of your great help.

Two of the wait list have been bolded, get me email addresses to send invites while we wait for word from the others.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
If anyone knows how to get hold of gardenald or KalenSC please direct them to this thread asap. I'm pushing the draft back a couple extra hours (assuming we can fill in the gaps so ESPN will let me) in hopes that we can fill this up. If you're on the wait list, especially if you're name is now bolded, please post or PM you're email address for your invite.

Anubis fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 5, 2016

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fenrir posted:

I had to fix a couple scoring things just so I wouldn't get error messages. Those are fixed now - all the crap I had to fix (punter and HC scoring) is set at 1 point just to make it stop giving me red flags.

It's okay if you want to push the draft to tomorrow.

We may have to, we have to fill the league (ie: the invites I sent out have to be accepted) before they will let us draft. As it stands, let's plan on tomorrow.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fenrir posted:

Push it quick, because the draft as it now is set to start in 37 minutes.

ESPN is being a pain in the dick tonight. It's getting DDoSed or something because it's login is broken. Either way, if it does somehow record a draft tonight we will redo it tomorrow once we have everyone more or less situated. I guess if you want to mock draft, espn is going to run one in about 15 minutes for us... because Calvinball isn't bad enough, you feel the need to mock draft on top of it!

Anubis fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 6, 2016

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
With Kalensc bowing out McStabby is up, if any of the LMs can get his email put in today we'll be all set to go for tonight and another crazy season of calvinball will come again!

And I even promise not to mess with the draft timer like I did in the mock.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
NEW RULE! NEW RULE!
Dyslexic Math
Week 1: Passing yards are now worth 20 points a yard.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

OxySnake posted:

gently caress man sorry to hear that.

What are the starting lineup rules again?

Are they the default QB/2RB/2WR/1FLX/TE/DST/K?

That's what they start at, yes.

Fenrir posted:

God loving drat it. I'm sorry guys.. I got laid off from my job this afternoon. I missed the draft and I don't even know what players I have right now.

I know this is terrible timing but I might disappear. If that happens, throw some bullshit and dirt on my team and rub it in good. I'm gonna try to get ready for this week at least but I'm kinda exhausted after today, so I'll get on that tomorrow... when I get home from the god damned unemployment office :sigh:

Uck, that sucks man. Don't worry too much, you'll get through it and so will we.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Anyone, but they must play 1 snap.

Welcome to the wonderful world of fullbacks being viable in fantasy football.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aredna posted:

I obviously shouldn't get the calvinball for failing to realize we were starting 2 qbs this week. Never goes to anyone that fails to set a proper lineup imo

Yeah that's been the typical ruling unless it was for something silly like punters when there's no punting rules or similar. Calvinball goes to The Revenge of the Goodelled.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
NEW RULE! NEW RULE!
I want a lot of punters!

Open up that 2nd punter slot and let's ride!

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
So, and someone feel free to double check/correct me here, current rosters should look like:

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
TE
TE
K
P
P
DEF

unless someone sneaks another rule in, in the next hour or two.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

McStabby posted:

Shouldn't flex be in there?

You are right. Thanks!

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
TE
TE
FLEX
K
P
P
DEF

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aredna posted:

It should be OK as I changed a different scoring category and the other rule change only changed "Punt Yards" and mine was to "Net Punts". They are essentially the same as "Rushing Yards" and "Rushing Attempts" the best I can tell.

However I did screw up and accidentally set it a little off by filtering only for available players. I should have set it to -489!

Yep, different categories on ESPN so it'll be valid. The end result will be that if you don't get at least 47 yards on a punt you're losing points and if you get over that you're gaining them at a pretty quick pace.

OxySnake posted:

New Rule New Rule!
Nice Hands No Hands!

All receptions are worth -10 points.

As noted, it appears it was already changed this week. Rule rejected!

Anubis fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 15, 2016

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
Got the scores SS for week two. We apparently got one missing owner so if anyone wants to take over speak up. I'll get the standings put in the reserved post sometime tonight.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

Marshmallow Blue posted:

My opponent broke the Calvinball Rule.
Hill and Bernard IRL started. Ezekiel Elliot Techinically he got negative points from Elliot, but I'm not sure what the punishment is for Calvinball infringement.

Elliot appears to be his own punishment as no other RB on his bench would have hurt him as much, so that one can stand as is.

Julio gets swapped for Sammy Watkins which lowers Grudes score by 1166, giving him 17192 and the loss.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

McStabby posted:

Who has the Calvinball this week?

I do. :(

I HAVE THE CALVINABALL! I HAVE THE CALVINBALL!
Care for your hurt bird. (I won't post the C&H strips because frankly they are sad, but if you're a fan you might remember them.)
This week you may only play ONE player from teams with a bird mascot. This includes the Eagles, Falcons, Seahawks, Cardinals and Ravens.
No one is strictly eliminated from play but remember you only get one so if you play 2 or more you're only keeping your lowest scoring bird.
Defenses will not count towards this total.

NEW RULE!!! NEW RULE!!!
To make picking players easier I'm eliminating a TE slot with my weekly rule.

Anubis fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 22, 2016

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
New Rule!!! New Rule!!!
Flex your arms

You can now use a QB in your flex. I mean, you don't want to right now but you could and isn't that worth something?

Note: The way we have handled this in previous years is that if there's 1 or fewer QB slots you can use a "spare" QB slot instead of your flex spot.

Anubis fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 29, 2016

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fenrir posted:

I have no idea how to implement that, honestly. I think we did the QB flex thing when there was only 0 or 1 QB slots and we could use a QB slot instead of a flex spot. The software just won't let us put a third QB anywhere, so basically Mom Says No unti someone nukes a QB slot.

Correct, if both QB slots are open you can't use QB as a flex. There aren't enough reasonable QBs around anyway for us all to use 3.

Also, I have house guests this week so sorry but I'm dropping the ball even more than usual.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

Marshmallow Blue posted:

New Rule New Rule!
FIRE EVERYTHING

Open all closed roster slots. Participants may still close roster slots as their rules this week.

Normally you can only open up one slot at a time but I'm in a good mood so I'm allowing it this week because A) It's fun. and B) you posted a good Calvin strip piece to go with it. This week only, due to this sudden change, you can close 2 spots each (different positions only).

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
What Fenrir said.

New Rule!!! New Rule!!!
I don't like running or being told what to do!

Remove a RB slot and the HC slot.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
Uh.... what's happening people?

Here's our scores for the week. Have people given up on the league? We didn't have any rule changes so far this week.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

McStabby posted:

So...do we actually have rules this week? I just started work this week, so I didn't remember until now.

well everything carries forward except calvinball and a few people did remember to change stuff up, so yeah.

Unless I'm wrong we currently are using:
QB
QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
TE
FLX
FLX
Def
K
K
P
P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

McStabby posted:

So how many vacant teams do we have at this point?

A lot... it might have finally come off the rails.

• Locked thread