Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shoeless posted:

The difference is that the majority of the projectiles the Battleship launches are mostly going to miss, and whereas dive-bombing is much more accurate. Also 120 dive-bombers (which are not likely as expensive as massive 4-engine bombers) will still almost certainly cost less than that single BB. Aircraft spell death to conventional naval combat.

I suggest we preempt this by assassinating the Wright Brothers.

Clearly the solution is to turn battleship shells into tiny aircraft, with motors and wings and guidance systems, maybe guided by a trained pigeon or bat, so that they never miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Shoeless posted:

The difference is that the majority of the projectiles the Battleship launches are mostly going to miss, and whereas dive-bombing is much more accurate. Also 120 dive-bombers (which are not likely as expensive as massive 4-engine bombers) will still almost certainly cost less than that single BB. Aircraft spell death to conventional naval combat.

I suggest we preempt this by assassinating the Wright Brothers.

traditionally 4 engine aircraft were not dive bombers. also this is absurd. Even the most advanced aircraft in the world have 1, maybe 2 engines.

And what's a bomber? Aircraft might have some use in a reconnisance role, but they'll never be a weapons platform, especially not on the level of a battleship. Our DESTROYERS can deliver a greater payload than the entire airforces of Britan and Germany combined.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

To SecNav,

Whatever madness seems to have struck the German design staff seems to be contagious. They're vacillating between flights of fancy that would look out of place in the days before the modern battleship or even the Great White Fleet and projections of air power that based on my quick calculations that would require at least 500 pound bombs, possibly 1000 pound bombs, which I believe would require engines to reach the heady heights of nearly a thousand horsepower! I fear that it is too late to save me. Tell my wife I love her and that I love the concept of transverse catapults on carrier hangar decks.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
These planes in the atmosphere are a passing fancy, nothing more. The future lies in battleships floating in the void above! Their guns able to reach anywhere on the globe, and with no pesky sea waiting to drag them under they will be unsinkable!

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
There are simply too many problems with using planes to deliver explosives, I believe the whole concept must be redesigned from the ground up. If the payload were delivered by a one-time use vehicle this would greatly increase the efficiency, a plane that does not have to return would be lighter and more reliable. And in this case, it could be improved by delivering the thrust not from the plane itself, but at the site of launch on the ship.

In short, I suggest launching these single-use 'planes' from a reusable tube which generates thrust by the burning of volatile substances.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Velius posted:

These planes in the atmosphere are a passing fancy, nothing more. The future lies in battleships floating in the void above! Their guns able to reach anywhere on the globe, and with no pesky sea waiting to drag them under they will be unsinkable!

Perhaps a joint venture with the Japanese?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

mossyfisk posted:

There are simply too many problems with using planes to deliver explosives, I believe the whole concept must be redesigned from the ground up. If the payload were delivered by a one-time use vehicle this would greatly increase the efficiency, a plane that does not have to return would be lighter and more reliable. And in this case, it could be improved by delivering the thrust not from the plane itself, but at the site of launch on the ship.

In short, I suggest launching these single-use 'planes' from a reusable tube which generates thrust by the burning of volatile substances.

That is just absurd, can we not bring ourselves to remain in the realm of reason?

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
I'm sorry everyone, it was very late and my tiredness must have affected my judgement. Clearly airplanes could be a useful scouting tool, but thinking they could pose a danger to our mighty battleships was quite foolish of me. I hope we can return to more reasonable discourse about useful things like underwater trebuchets.

Actually I think I know what caused my flight (ha ha) of fancy: I recently watched an American science fiction film about airplanes attacking ships in the near future. Now that I'm fully awake I remember it was complete rubbish, they even included a fictitious, captured(!), German battleship! Here is a copy just in case anyone else wants a good laugh at what the Americans think naval combat will be like 10 years from now: (:nms: due to gratuitous shots of cage masts and turret stacking.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB-Jwys_KjE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

That smoke curtain is pretty sexy.

• Locked thread