Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Did... did Spider-Man just deny being Batman at the end there?

Meanwhile, I was totally unfamiliar with this game and its prequel so I just marathoned the Spiderman 2000 LP and caught up with this one.

Good stuff. I love licensed games that actually take the license as a responsibility as opposed to an excuse to cash in on something else. My previous standard was the PS2-era LotR brawlers, with unlockables like "Watch Ian McKellan totally fail to interact with a Dual Shock Controller". It'll be interesting to see how these go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

GamesAreSupernice posted:

How were the LoTR games on PS2? I have vague memories of Two Towers but not much else.

The games themselves were honestly relatively forgettable, but they (and Two Towers in particular) were competent enough action-brawler games, with simple but workable versions a lot of the standard mechanics. Very little worth showing off, but I know of at least one case where it served as training wheels for someone who went on to start SS-ranking every stage in Devil May Cry, so it clearly was very solid training.

Where it shined was actually as a tie-in, and it managed it more deftly than I've seen anywhere else. The games came out slightly before the movie and included teaser footage that both wasn't in any trailers at the time and wasn't hugely out of place in the game. Unlockables included interviews with the movie actors (who were reprising their voices for the game, which varied from Just Another Job for John Rhys-Davies to HOLY CRAP HOW COOL IS THIS for Elijah Wood) and some making-of documentary stuff that was also fun because that's what the bonus materials for the films were, too.

The funniest part was that they also filmed the actors playing beta versions of the game, and, well, let's just say that Mr. Wood was the only member of the cast that clearly grew up playing video games.

ETA: The part that was interesting was that it did superbly at all the things that usually make licensed games soulless cash-ins, without compromising the, well, soulless cash-in part. Even the simple but polished gameplay can be put in this vein - they made a game that's fun enough to play while primarily being maximally accessible. What Two Towers did for me was give me a new scale for grading that as its own axis, and proved that compromises in service of this axis didn't have to make the game actually bad.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 7, 2016

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

GamesAreSupernice posted:

It was composed by Tommy Tallarico, the same composer from the first title. He tends to make appropriately energetic game music and sometimes does sound design. I believe he even did the sound design for Maximo (though not the music).

Tommy Tallarico is also the public face of Video Games Live, a touring orchestral performance of video game music. He knows what he's about and he's clearly never stopped caring.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Thanks for running this. As I'd mentioned earlier, I'd missed these games at the time, so it's great to see them taken apart and shown off.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Low polygon count is a grim disease indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Pizdec posted:

except it doesn't make sense intuitively, since you pass right through him when he is still disappearing, so you just assume he's teleporting or doing a Vision or something. It's kind of awkward as an adaptation of the source, but it makes for a neat boss fight, and Venom loving with Spidey is the best part of the story, so who cares.

When I saw that in the PS1 LP, I actually interpreted that as "Parker relies so much on his Spider-Sense that Venom keeps getting the drop on him by not setting it off".

• Locked thread