Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

DeusExMachinima posted:

Reading that reddit thread I found a link to a court document that says the ACE tried to contact the tribal leaders multiple times for consultations. Other tribes talked to them, Standing Rock mostly didn't. If that's true, holy gently caress their tribal leadership is terminally retarded and may have screwed over everyone else on the rez. Check out pages 15-33 for the whole shitshow. https://ecf.dcd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/show_public_doc?2016cv1534-39
The dismissal is a pro click and completely obliterated any sympathy I may have had for the standing rock sioux. What loving idiots. The company and the army corps of engineers bent over backwards to accommodate them and they refused.

quote:

Where this surveying revealed previously unidentified historic or cultural resources that might be affected, the company mostly chose to reroute. Id., ¶¶ 4-6. In North Dakota, for example, the cultural surveys found 149 potentially eligible sites, 91 of which had stone features. Id., ¶ 5. The pipeline workspace and route was modified to avoid all 91 of these stone features and all but 9 of the other potentially eligible sites. Id. By the time the company finally settled on a construction path, then, the pipeline route had been modified 140 times in North Dakota alone to avoid potential cultural resources. Id., ¶ 6. Plans had also been put in place to mitigate any effects on the other 9 sites through coordination with the North Dakota SHPO. Id., ¶ 13. All told, the company surveyed nearly twice as many miles in North Dakota as the 357 miles that would eventually be used for the pipeline. Id., ¶ 12.

The company also opted to build its new pipeline along well-trodden ground wherever feasible. See ECF No. 22-1 (Declaration of Joey Mahmoud), ¶¶ 18, 24, 40. Around Lake Oahe, for example, the pipeline will track both the Northern Border Gas Pipeline, which was placed into service in 1982, and an existing overhead utility line. Id., ¶ 18. In fact, where it crosses Lake Oahe, DAPL is 100% adjacent to, and within 22 to 300 feet from, the existing pipeline. Id. Dakota Access chose this route because these locations had “been disturbed in the past – both above and below ground level – making it a ‘brownfield crossing location.’” Id., ¶ 19. This made it less likely, then, that new ground disturbances would harm intact cultural or tribal features. Id.
[...]
The improved relationship, however, had its limits. In the spring, the Corps worked with Dakota Access to offer consulting tribes an opportunity to conduct cultural surveys at PCN locations where the private landowner would permit them. See Chieply Decl., ¶ 28. This included 7 of the 11 sites in North and South Dakota. Id. Three tribes took the opportunity, and it paid off. See ECF No. 22, Exh. C (Declaration of Michelle Dippel) ¶ 28. The Upper Sioux Community identified areas of tribal concern at three PCN sites, and Dakota Access agreed to additional avoidance measures at all of them. Id. At one of these sites, the tribal surveyors and the Iowa SHPO declared a site eligible for listing on the National Registry that had not previously been identified on Dakota Access’s surveys. See Eagle Decl., ¶¶ 32-36; see also Mentz Decl., ¶¶ 38-39 (describing his hiring to conduct surveys for the Upper Sioux). Dakota Access agreed in response to this discovery to bury the pipeline 111 feet below the site to avoid disturbing it. See Mot. Hearing Trans. at 36. Similarly, the Osage Tribe identified areas through their surveys that they wished to monitor during construction, and the company granted that request too. Id.

Standing Rock took a different tack. The Tribe declined to participate in the surveys because of their limited scope. See Chieply Decl., ¶ 29. Instead, it urged the Corps to redefine the area of potential effect to include the entire pipeline and asserted that it would send no experts to help identify cultural resources until this occurred. I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Let me see if understand you right: They don't think a state that has murdered and poo poo on their people for hundreds of years should be allowed to build an unsafe pipeline through their land - but they should bend over and eat it anyway because said state probably said everything is going to be different this time? Yeah, good luck with that.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Tias posted:

Let me see if understand you right: They don't think a state that has murdered and poo poo on their people for hundreds of years should be allowed to build an unsafe pipeline through their land - but they should bend over and eat it anyway because said state probably said everything is going to be different this time? Yeah, good luck with that.
1. The company rerouted the pipeline 140 times in North Dakota around tribal cultural resources. They were listening to the tribes and taking action based on their concerns, but the Standing Rock Sioux decided to try to take their ball and go home.
2. There's already an oil pipeline running across the lake less than a stone's throw away from the proposed new pipeline location.

The pipeline built in 1982 didn't contaminate their water in the past 34 years. They have every reason to believe this one won't contaminate their precious bodily fluids either.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gobbeldygook posted:

1. The company rerouted the pipeline 140 times in North Dakota around tribal cultural resources. They were listening to the tribes and taking action based on their concerns, but the Standing Rock Sioux decided to try to take their ball and go home.
2. There's already an oil pipeline running across the lake less than a stone's throw away from the proposed new pipeline location.

The pipeline built in 1982 didn't contaminate their water in the past 34 years. They have every reason to believe this one won't contaminate their precious bodily fluids either.

I see where you're coming from, but if they don't get approval from the tribe that actually lives on and uses the land, that's not a legitimate negotiation - and I maintain that the SR Lakota have full rights to the land - you know, like rich white people have over everywhere else and make loving stupid decisions about every day? It's theirs, they can take their ball home as much as they want to.

Nocts
Apr 22, 2008
Soiled Meat
This is the exact document I posted about earlier in the thread. When you say the "dismissal is a pro click" you are taking it as being a 100% legitimate and honest document, and as Tias just posted there may be problems with that claim. Second, even if what's in the document is true, the DAPL people only gave the Standing Rock Sioux a few months to respond to a major project that could have huge impacts on their quality of life. Third,

Tias posted:

Nocts
Apr 22, 2008
Soiled Meat
It's a natural gas pipeline running nearby, not an oil pipeline. Makes a difference when it leaks.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Tias posted:

I see where you're coming from, but if they don't get approval from the tribe that actually lives on and uses the land, that's not a legitimate negotiation - and I maintain that the SR Lakota have full rights to the land - you know, like rich white people have over everywhere else and make loving stupid decisions about every day? It's theirs, they can take their ball home as much as they want to.

It is literally not their land and goes around their reservation just like it goes around the Fort Berthold reservation.

The Army Corps of Engineers tried to open a dialogue with them and get their input and they refused. They are not entitled to veto power over all construction near their land just because some of their ancestors were killed by white men with guns.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Gobbeldygook posted:

The Army Corps of Engineers tried to open a dialogue with them and get their input and they refused. They are not entitled to veto power over all construction near their land just because some of their ancestors were killed by white men with guns.

Ancestors, huh.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

They are not entitled to veto power over all construction near their land just because some of their ancestors were killed by white men with guns.

Actually, they are

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If I understand this right the tribe says the land belongs to them by treaty but the Army Corp of Engineers says we don't recognize the treaties?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Sounds like it's more a disputation of what exact rights the treaty grants.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
And then, as I understood it, when the tribe went to the courts the courts ruled that it didn't matter anyways because the outcome would be the same regardless of the results of the complaint?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I thought the understanding was that the Tribes had fair use of the surrounding area even if it was not "technically" their land or whatever. So my understanding is that their legal claim is that the pipeline could potentionally harm their fair use of this land , but also poison them all to death.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Actually, they are
No, they aren't. That Michael Brown was gunned down by a white man with a gun does not mean black people in St. Louis are now entitled to a veto over metrolink expansion plans through north county. It is not their land. Someone constructing another pipeline next to an existing natural gas pipeline across water and land that isn't theirs is not going to deny them their right to hunting, fishing, or traveling on the land.

RandomPauI posted:

If I understand this right the tribe says the land belongs to them by treaty but the Army Corp of Engineers says we don't recognize the treaties?
They complain about a lot of things. The land that is theirs is very clear. They are by treaty allowed to hunt, fish, and travel on land that isn't theirs. The pipeline is not on their land, but we are gracious and allow them to point out burial grounds and the like on land that isn't theirs so they can be built around. Tribes that cooperated with the Army Corps were rewarded with things like Dakota Access agreeing to build the pipeline 111 feet underground to avoid disturbing a sacred site on the surface. The Standing Rock Sioux refused to fully cooperate and are now whining about the white man bulldozing burial sites (which would have been routed around if they had cooperated) and that an oil pipeline might some day leak into a waterway that also runs through their land.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Actually, they are

Yeah, that's the thing this idiot is missing. If the land is theirs by treaty, they are under no obligation to cooperate with allowing a private interest to exploit it. Full stop. In point of fact, depending on the terms of the treaty, the federal government may be obliged to back that up with force of arms.

We aren't talking 'someone shot a native and now they're all restless', this is the basics of literally every interaction the native American nations have had with the US government for more than a century.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 2, 2016

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, that's the thing this idiot is missing. IF the land is theirs by treaty, they are under no obligation to cooperate with it allow a private interest to exploit it. Full stop.

We aren't talking 'someone shot a native and now they're all restless', this is the basics of literally every interaction the native American nations have had with the US government for more than a century.
Are you blind? I linked the picture right on this page.

It goes around their land. It's not their loving land.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

And as has been pointed out to you repeatedly, there is indication that both the specific area noted is contested as being included under treaty, -and- any contamination generated by a pipeline mishap would directly contaminate the watershed for the reservation. Again, the same reason it was moved south after the white folks in Bismarck complained, indicating that the company considered this a valid enough argument to act on.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah there's a reason that the pipeline doesn't just head east above Bismarck. They wouldn't tolerate it being built for fears that it'd poison them which is a real concern because regardless of what you think pipelines do leak.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

And as has been pointed out to you repeatedly, there is indication that both the specific area noted is contested as being included under treaty, -and- any contamination generated by a pipeline mishap would directly contaminate the watershed for the reservation. Again, the same reason it was moved south after the white folks in Bismarck complained, indicating that the company considered this a valid enough argument to act on.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah there's a reason that the pipeline doesn't just head east above Bismarck. They wouldn't tolerate it being built for fears that it'd poison them which is a real concern because regardless of what you think pipelines do leak.
Would you be okay with it if it ran through Bismarck over the same river and was still capable of contaminating the water supply downstream if it leaked? Or are you just standing athwart history yelling STOP?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Gobbeldygook posted:

Would you be okay with it if it ran through Bismarck over the same river and was still capable of contaminating the water supply downstream if it leaked? Or are you just standing athwart history yelling STOP?

Hoo boy, who did you make mad enough to give you this redtext :allears:

I suspect it's really just yelling STOP but wouldn't have made the news (outside of the Bismarck, Flyover State #5 local paper with a weekly circulation of 20, seriously how lovely is your state if the capital has a population of under 100k) if there weren't people protesting against it in sight of a reservation.

As a side note, someone from my year in uni (UK) just took a flight to merica to protest at standing rock :laffo:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

blowfish posted:

Hoo boy, who did you make mad enough to give you this redtext :allears:

I suspect it's really just yelling STOP but wouldn't have made the news (outside of the Bismarck, Flyover State #5 local paper with a weekly circulation of 20, seriously how lovely is your state if the capital has a population of under 100k) if there weren't people protesting against it in sight of a reservation.

As a side note, someone from my year in uni (UK) just took a flight to merica to protest at standing rock :laffo:
America's fly over states are uninhabited wastelands. The states of Wyoming, North Dakota, and South Dakota have a combined population equal to the St. Louis metropolitan area. However, at 100k Bismarck still swamps the population of the Standing Rock Reservation's population of 8,250. If the pipeline leaking is a risk, then we should put it where it is less likely to hurt a "major" population center.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

America's fly over states are uninhabited wastelands. The states of Wyoming, North Dakota, and South Dakota have a combined population equal to the St. Louis metropolitan area. However, at 100k Bismarck still swamps the population of the Standing Rock Reservation's population of 8,250. If the pipeline leaking is a risk, then we should put it where it is less likely to hurt a "major" population center.

How many people have to live in a place before they're worthy of human rights under your rubric?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

They're arguing a utilitarian moral philosophy so its kind of pointless.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Gobbeldygook posted:

If they are uninhabited wastelands, why not let the pipeline go through the uninhabited wasteland parts of the state and not through lands under the stewardship of Native Americans?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Flowers For Algeria posted:

If they are uninhabited wastelands, why not let the pipeline go through the uninhabited wasteland parts of the state and not through lands under the stewardship of Native Americans?
It is not going through their land. It is going around their virtually uninhabited territory (2 people per square mile) and upstream over a river that also runs through their territory. They have some cultural sites outside their territory that Dakota Access gracefully routes around when the tribes cooperate with them. It is also running parallel to an existing pipeline which makes everything easier.

Jack Gladney posted:

How many people have to live in a place before they're worthy of human rights under your rubric?
You should do what is best for the most. Better to put 8k at slight risk than 100k.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

You're spending a lot of time trying to defend the shafting of a specific Native tribe on the pretext that they didn't fill out the right forms within a certain deadline. Is this really a hill you're willing to die on?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You're taking it as a given that someone needs to risk poisoning over this, though, and that it needs to happen at all. A solution that doesn't poison people, or just not building the pipeline period, both seem better to me than arguing "gently caress the natives, it's not like there's that many of them left anyway".

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

You're spending a lot of time trying to defend the shafting of a specific Native tribe on the pretext that they didn't fill out the right forms within a certain deadline. Is this really a hill you're willing to die on?
If their ancestral burial grounds and magic rocks are so important to them, they should have responded to the Army Corps many attempts to reach out to them and get their assistance in not accidentally defiling their cultural sites. Given that they did so minimally, they probably aren't that important to them.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Gobbeldygook posted:

You should do what is best for the most. Better to put 8k at slight risk than 100k.

Best for who now?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

That's pretty callous, and it also doesn't take into account the fact that their reasoning for not cooperating is their opposition to the pipeline in its entirety, a perfectly valid point of view.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

That's pretty callous, and it also doesn't take into account the fact that their reasoning for not cooperating is their opposition to the pipeline in its entirety, a perfectly valid point of view.
If your family asks what you want for Thanksgiving dinner and you reply that you don't think they should be celebrating Thanksgiving at all, you have no right to complain when Thanksgiving comes and there's not a single vegetarian dish.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Gobbeldygook posted:

If your family asks what you want for Thanksgiving dinner and you reply that you don't think they should be celebrating Thanksgiving at all, you have no right to complain when Thanksgiving comes and there's not a single vegetarian dish.

:captainpop:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Tias posted:

Seems like it's going to get worse before it gets better :(

Share this before it gets taken offline, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mrY0tNiNVg

OP, come on. Did you even watch this? An 11 year old girl was not gunned down by police snipers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

Then why haven't you yet done your moral duty and driven yourself to the nearest hospital, taken fast-acting neurotoxin, and pinned a note to your chest explaining that you would like to donate all of your organs, JS Mill? Alternately, why should the new freeway go through your house and not your neighbor's? Utilitarianism of this sort will always be a reducto-ad because it frequently relies on stupid unexamined premises.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gobbeldygook posted:

The dismissal is a pro click and completely obliterated any sympathy I may have had for the standing rock sioux. What loving idiots. The company and the army corps of engineers bent over backwards to accommodate them and they refused.

Certainly that's true for their leadership. The other members of the tribe may not have known that their leaders could have done something about the pipeline and instead twiddled their thumbs. The dismissal definitely changes the impact of this news story though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gobbeldygook posted:

Are you blind? I linked the picture right on this page.

It goes around their land. It's not their loving land.

You realize they are protesting mostly because of the river it crosses right? And because most of these companies have a lovely record when it comes to pipeline integrity, and that river is the reservations primary water source?

I'd be protesting too.

Even worse, looking at that map: Why is the pipeline crossing the river. Twice, when it looks like it could have easily been routed around those cities to get to that exact location without crossing the river?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

CommieGIR posted:

You realize they are protesting mostly because of the river it crosses right? And because most of these companies have a lovely record when it comes to pipeline integrity, and that river is the reservations primary water source?

I'd be protesting too.

Even worse, looking at that map: Why is the pipeline crossing the river. Twice, when it looks like it could have easily been routed around those cities to get to that exact location without crossing the river?

The pipeline later on will cross the Mississippi river, upstream from St. Louis, Missouri. The city of St. Louis gets a lot of its drinking water from the river.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

silence_kit posted:

The pipeline later on will cross the Mississippi river, upstream from St. Louis, Missouri. The city of St. Louis gets a lot of its drinking water from the river.

You're right, maybe this pipeline idea isn't as good as we're being told. Its not like we've had any explode in the past 3 months or so....

But, the point stands: Why shouldn't they protest? Its not like companies and the government don't have an established legacy of loving the Tribes even more than they gently caress everyday US citizens.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

CommieGIR posted:

You're right, maybe this pipeline idea isn't as good as we're being told. Its not like we've had any explode in the past 3 months or so....

But, the point stands: Why shouldn't they protest? Its not like companies and the government don't have an established legacy of loving the Tribes even more than they gently caress everyday US citizens.

Aren't you the poster who whines about NIMBYs in the nuclear energy megathread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

silence_kit posted:

Aren't you the poster who whines about NIMBYs in the nuclear energy megathread?

Got it, an energy sector with a very excellent safety record is completely comparable to one that is notorious for loving everything up and then leaving the citizens to foot the bill. Are you serious?

Here, let me help you, this is a list of pipeline spills just this year alone:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pipeline_accidents_in_the_United_States_in_the_21st_century#2016

quote:

On January 2, 3 people were injured, one seriously, one home destroyed, and 50 homes were damaged in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, when a leak gas from a gas main entered a home. Preliminary results indicate that a leak occurred at a weld seam on the gas main. Later, later, Oklahoma regulators filed a complaint over the failure with Oklahoma Natural Gas. The complaint alleged the utility failed to properly inspect its system following eight previous leak failures in the neighborhood going back to 1983.[559][560]
On January 9, a 30-inch Atmos Energy gas transmission pipeline exploded and burned in Robertson County, Texas. 4 families nearby were evacuated.[561]
On January 11, butane leaking from a pipeline storage facility, in Conway, Kansas, forced a closure of a nearby highway for a time.[562]
On February 14, a 6-inch crude oil pipeline broke near Rozet, Wyoming, spilling about 1,500 gallons of crude oil into a creek bed.[563]
On February 16, an explosion and fire occurred at a gas plant in Frio County, Texas. 2 employees at the plant were injured.[564]
On February 24, a 10-inch propane pipeline exploded and burned, near Sulphur, Louisiana. There were no injuries. About 208,000 gallons of propane were burned. The cause was from manufacturing defects.[565][566]
On March 11, about 30,000 gallons of gasoline spilled from a leaking plug on a pipeline, at a tank farm in Sioux City, Iowa.[567]
On March 22, about 4,000 gallons of gasoline spilled from a 6-inch petroleum products pipeline in Harwood, North Dakota.[568]
On April 2, the TransCanada Corporation Keystone Pipeline was observed by a local resident to be leaking, near Freeman, South Dakota. The cause was a crack in a girth weld, and amount of tar sands dilbit spill was about 16,800 gallons.[569][570]
On April 12, a pipeline at a gas plant in Woodsboro, Texas exploded, killing 2 men, and injured another worker.[571]
On April 17, a 10 petroleum products pipeline failed in Wabash County, Illinois, resulting in a sheen on the Wabash River. About 48,000 gallons of diesel fuel was spilled.[572]
On April 29, a 30-inch Texas Eastern/Spectra Energy pipeline exploded, injuring one man, destroying his home and damaging several others. The incident was reported at 8:17 a.m., near the intersection of Routes 819 and 22 in Salem Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania. Later, Spectra Energy Corp. announced plans to dig up and assess 263 miles of that pipeline, from Pennsylvania to New Jersey. Corrosion had been detected at the failed seam 4 years before the rupture.[573][574][575]
On May 20, a Shell Oil Company pipeline leaked near Tracy, California, spilling about 21,000 gallons of crude oil.[576]
On June 23, a Crimson Pipeline crude oil line leaked in Ventura County, California. Initial reports said the spill size was from 25,200 gallons to 29,000 gallons, but, later reports estimate 45,000 gallons of crude were spilled.[577][578]
On July 6, a Plantation Pipeline line was noticed to be leaking in Goochland County, Virginia. The spill did not reach nearby waterways.[579]
On August 12, contractors were working on one of the main lines in Sunoco Pipeline LP's Nederland, Texas terminal when crude oil burst through a plug that was supposed to hold the oil back in the pipeline and ignited. The contractors were knocked off the platform to the ground, suffering injuries from the fall and severe burns. 7 contractors were injured.[580]
On September 4, a pipeline broke in Kern County, California, spilling reclaimed water & oil.[581]
On September 5, a pipeline in Bay Long, Louisiana was hit by dredging operations, resulting in a spill of about 5,300 gallons of crude oil into the water.[582]
On September 9, a Colonial Pipeline mainline leak was noticed by workers on another project, in Shelby County, Alabama. At least 252,000 gallons of gasoline leaked from line.[583][584]
On September 10, a Sunoco pipeline ruptured near Sweetwater, Texas. About 33,000 gallons of crude oil were spilled. The pipeline was just over a year old.[585]
On October 11, two Nicor Gas workers were injured, and two townhouse units destroyed in a massive fire and explosion, caused by a gas leak in Romeoville, Illinois.[586]
On October 17, an 8-inch ammonia pipeline started leaking, near Tekamah, Nebraska. A farmer living nearby went to find the source of the ammonia, and was killed by entering the vapor cloud. About 50 people were evacuated from their homes.[587]
On October 19, a contractor in Portland, Oregon hit a 1 inch gas pipeline during work. Within an hour, there were 2 explosions, injuring 8 people, destroying or damaging several buildings, and started a fire. Contractors claim a utility locate was done before work began.[588]
On October 21, an 8 inch Sunoco pipeline ruptured in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, spilling about 55,000 gallons of gasoline into the Susquehanna River. The river was running high at the time.[589]
On October 24, a pipeline ruptured on the Seaway Pipeline, in Cushing, Oklahoma, spraying the area with crude oil.[590]
On October 31, a Colonial Pipeline mainline exploded and burned in Shelby County, Alabama, after accidentally being hit by a trackhoe. One worker died at the scene, and 5 others were hospitalized. The explosion occurred approximately several miles from the 09 September 2016 breach.

If Nuclear was spilling this often, I'd be calling them out too. But they are not. And you are making false comparisons.

• Locked thread