Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Dead Reckoning posted:

So, not on tribal land then, at least legally speaking. Do the feds have a published survey map somewhere? Surely they must.

The published survey maps would not have the archaeological/sacred sites on them if thats what you are asking. Well, they shouldnt and if they did then someone is going to get fired over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
NAGPRA only works on state and federally owned land, as well as anyone who gets fed money for the project. Winters rights might or might not be applicable, the mostly focus on water use rights.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

For people saying the cultural/archaeological side of things has been addressed it really hasn't been to the standards of the broader archaeological community and theres buzz around of possible repercussions for the archaeologists that okayed the project. Its not super uncommon (sadly) for archaeologists to "survey" a site and okay it so they can make some semi quick cash. Its one reason Native groups still dont trust archaeologists.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Could you share some articles about this? Sounds fascinating, but I don't know where to go looking for news about the archeological community

I'll see if I can dig (heh) anything up on either the SAA or AAA sites but I heard about the possible repercussions from a professor of mine who's focus is these types of issues and has been traveling to a couple of conferences where the topic has come up, it mostly likely will remain an internal debate until they reach a consensus and they will announce. Regardless of what they decide the archaeologist for the project is super hosed in regards to jobs.

Archaeologists that half rear end a survey is an open secret in the profession and does not really get reported for reasons that pretty much boil down to self-interest or that the reporters get ignored.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

Is this reroute thing the real deal, or just another tactic to kill pressure and attention long enough to sweep out the protestors and continue?

It looks like its legitimate.

• Locked thread