Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I dunno, man, I got that part right away myself. It seemed to make sense.

Something I should mention is that I'm a dumbass that can't put (1-4 spoilers) bullet and metal detector together.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The hardest part of Case 2 for me was presenting the clipboard when you press Retinz, I assumed it wouldn't work because you couldn't connect it to him. I did try the contract though, so that pissed me off when I finally selected the clipboard and Apollo starts talking about the loving contract I'd tried before.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Haha, I kept screwing up the first case and got a Consult prompt, but there was nobody to consult with and Payne smarmily rubbed it in saying how Phoenix has nobody to help bail him out of this one

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I dunno, man, I got that part right away myself. It seemed to make sense.

Yeah I just now did that myself and it made perfect sense to me.

You're not asked to point out what the shadow is, but point out something similar.

Terper fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 9, 2016

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

AlphaKretin posted:

The hardest part of Case 2 for me was presenting the clipboard when you press Retinz, I assumed it wouldn't work because you couldn't connect it to him. I did try the contract though, so that pissed me off when I finally selected the clipboard and Apollo starts talking about the loving contract I'd tried before.

Yeah, this part felt way less intuitive as far as the order of things was concerned.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Case 3: "In my country, suspects are innocent until proven guilty."

Now THAT's a riot.

Man, it's gonna be boring to investigate without an assistant... unless... unless...!

Yesssss

Terper fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 9, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The music in these games continues to be wonderful

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Only played the first 2 cases but man. The Court Gallery in this game is just made up of the absolute worst people.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Well to be fair in Case 2 It's arranged by the dickbag, and even then doesn't last.

Otoh, DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I feel like Maya might have said "Hey Nick! Your profession is frequently killed by the government and lynched by the populace, so maybe keep a pin in that whole job thing!" before Phoenix went to the country. It feels like that's something someone should be given a heads up about beforehand.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I have the feeling I'm the only one to get this far, but here goes, for posterity: In case 3, the Divination Seance: I'm completely stumped after pointing out that the positions were reversed. I feel like I skimmed through some important hint from Phoenix, because he definitely said something, and I have absolutely no idea what my angle of attack is supposed to be right now. There's several things that seem kinda weird, but none of them have worked when I tried to present them. There's way too many possibilities to just brute force it, too.

Hmm, maybe I could mess up enough to get the consult, and then load my save from before messing up? Hopefully you can get consulted on divinations.

E: Well, I answered my own question by furiously googling and finding out that there's a simple spoiler-free walkthrough on gameFAQs already, based on the japanese version. Here it is, if anyone else gets seriously stuck: http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/180648-phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-spirit-of-justice/faqs/73524

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 9, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My favorite low key reference in case 1 is when Pees references the Gyakuten Meets Orchestra and Jazz Soul albums.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What does Spotpass do for this game? It just says notifications. Is there any reason I'd want to activate it?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Generally Spotpass just tells you when DLC is out.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well, finished my 1st day with this game and it kinda got off on the wrong foot but all in all I felt it was pretty good.

Case 1 had a really rough 1st half.Not only did I think the intro was too long, but until Ahnderstand'in shows up the trial is honestly kinda depressing. Like everyone hates Phoenix and wants him dead, and there's not that many jokes or anything. It's just not a great atmosphere. You'd expect Payne to provide some by being pathetic and everything, but Gaspen is just a goddamn scumbag who is not funny at all. The most you've got for some fun is Rayfa because of how easily she reverts to being an embarrassing 13 year old brat, but even then half her lines are "kill the lawyer" or "the lawyer will burn in hell for his insolence". And the case suffers from Phoenix not having a co-council to bounce off of, I didn't realise how essential it ended up seeming to the formula. Rocker Jesus was great though.

Case 2 on the other hand I really enjoyed. Some weird solutions in the trial aside I thought it was pretty great. I kinda wished they extended it to 2 days, I think there was enough there if they split the investigation and trial up a bit. Good characters all round, nice to have happy Ema back but it's still good to see some bitterness and curmudgeonyness in some of her trial scenes. Most importantly though Retinz was a fantastic villain for what was a 1 day case with no plot importance (I think). His animations were great, the confrontation with him was great, his motives were good and he made the case really personal not just for Trucy but for the whole Wright Agency. Nahyuta kinda got overshadowed though, and while I like his animations he doesn't seem too interesting. And his thing of not getting all that angry with the defence, but instead just acting super disappointed with them goes a long way into making him hateable.

Really though the whole case kinda felt to me like it'd be a much better final case to AJ than what we got for that game. The whole Gramayre thing and how during Retinz breakdown he rants about how he only lost because of Apollo and he still totally beat the Gramayres, is just a really nice moment since the game doesn't point it out but considering Apollo's mom he still lost to a Gramayre anyway. It was a fun case.

Anyway, it's been a good game so far. I hope it keeps it up.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well, finished my 1st day with this game and it kinda got off on the wrong foot but all in all I felt it was pretty good.

Case 1 had a really rough 1st half.Not only did I think the intro was too long, but until Ahnderstand'in shows up the trial is honestly kinda depressing. Like everyone hates Phoenix and wants him dead, and there's not that many jokes or anything. It's just not a great atmosphere. You'd expect Payne to provide some by being pathetic and everything, but Gaspen is just a goddamn scumbag who is not funny at all. The most you've got for some fun is Rayfa because of how easily she reverts to being an embarrassing 13 year old brat, but even then half her lines are "kill the lawyer" or "the lawyer will burn in hell for his insolence". And the case suffers from Phoenix not having a co-council to bounce off of, I didn't realise how essential it ended up seeming to the formula. Rocker Jesus was great though.

Case 2 on the other hand I really enjoyed. Some weird solutions in the trial aside I thought it was pretty great. I kinda wished they extended it to 2 days, I think there was enough there if they split the investigation and trial up a bit. Good characters all round, nice to have happy Ema back but it's still good to see some bitterness and curmudgeonyness in some of her trial scenes. Most importantly though Retinz was a fantastic villain for what was a 1 day case with no plot importance (I think). His animations were great, the confrontation with him was great, his motives were good and he made the case really personal not just for Trucy but for the whole Wright Agency. Nahyuta kinda got overshadowed though, and while I like his animations he doesn't seem too interesting. And his thing of not getting all that angry with the defence, but instead just acting super disappointed with them goes a long way into making him hateable.

Really though the whole case kinda felt to me like it'd be a much better final case to AJ than what we got for that game. The whole Gramayre thing and how during Retinz breakdown he rants about how he only lost because of Apollo and he still totally beat the Gramayres, is just a really nice moment since the game doesn't point it out but considering Apollo's mom he still lost to a Gramayre anyway. It was a fun case.

:agreed: on your thoughts with case 2. Fantastic and surprising, it's probably one of my favorites.

Disagree with your opinion on Nahyuta. I love his calm but :smug: personality, I think it set him apart well enough from other prosecutors, I mean it really felt like a different kind of battle with him. And it of course made him really satisfying to take down. I'm really interested now in finding out what the hell he and Apollo have to do with each other.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shout-outs to Rayfa for being cooler then I had initially thought based on the trailers

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

My thoughts on case 1: Gaspen was an incompetent scumbag in Dual Destinies, so he didn't really surprise me with how far he stooped in this game either. On the other hand, enjoyed this case quite a bit, given how longer and harder this case feels for the first case in the game. Though the highlights of this case is probably when Rayfa gets dragged out of the courtroom acting like the cross teenager she is and when Ahndistand'in shows up.

On the other hand, Case 2 was a real treat this time around, even toppling Dual Destinies' Case 2 for my favorite second case of the series: Really agree with you about Mr. Retinz. He was great throughout the case as the villain. Nahyuta was kinda smug as a prosecutor, but I really enjoyed his breakdown and hope there's more where that came from. The Famme twins were also cool, and it's good to see Ema retain some of her bitterness from AJ since I was worried the developers would just gloss over that part.

Am now at what I believe are the final stages of the Day 1 Investigation of Case 3. Was hoping to see more funny Rayfa moments and was not disappointed. Crowning moment being when I presented the strap to Her Benevolence. :allears: In a way, she's kind of an anti-Maya.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Why is every Gramarye outside of Trucy such an unrepentant piece of poo poo. Max Galactica was kind of a dick in a Job Bluth-ish way too but he wasn't a psychotic motherfucker like everyone in that troupe seems to be

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Perfect Potato posted:

Why is every Gramarye outside of Trucy such an unrepentant piece of poo poo. Max Galactica was kind of a dick in a Job Bluth-ish way too but he wasn't a psychotic motherfucker like everyone in that troupe seems to be

I mean all Thalassa did was (AJ) get amnesia and, uh, vanish into the aether before DD? She apparently still exists now to send Trucy flowers but

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I really liked Case 1, slow first half and all. I think part of it was also that they needed to set up the Khura'in plot, with the DC Act and everything. It seemed to go a bit faster once you got out of what the demo covered.

Who taught Rayfa these words. You sweet child.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So I just discovered the connection between Sahdmadhi and Apollo

Man we really did not know much about this guy at all huh

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Terper posted:

Seriously. I though Clay coming out of nowhere was bad enough, but excused it as trying to make up for AA4. This, though, uh :stare:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Terper posted:

Me too. What gets me is how Dhurke is very specifically his adopted father. So now they've got the dangling thread of his biological father to bring up whenever they wish. Maybe in this game still? I kinda doubt it tho.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Me too. What gets me is how Dhurke is very specifically his adopted father. So now they've got the dangling thread of his biological father to bring up whenever they wish. Maybe in this game still? I kinda doubt it tho.

Vague spoiler
It is absolutely addressed this game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

On case 2 right now.

Where else on the exterior of the coffin am I supposed to be dusting for prints aside from the smudge on top?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Case 2 ending spoiler: I like that, for all Retinz' gloating about how he finally got one over on the Gramaryes, that "uninvolved" lawyer he credited with taking him down is themselves a Gramarye.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

On case 2 right now.

Where else on the exterior of the coffin am I supposed to be dusting for prints aside from the smudge on top?

Near the sides up top, where someone would grab at it to open it up, if I recall correctly.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Khura'inese name puns are all terrible, horrible, and I love them.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I just noticed that the support poles in the Khura'in courtroom don't repeat the pattern on their one stripe correctly, and now I can't not see it.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I had the put the game down and catch my breath when Payne all of a sudden starts singing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Am I the only one who read Peeslub'n in Jack Black's voice?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 2, Trial Day 1: Bonny and Betty are hilarious I love them. Bonny holding Betty up in the air and her arms shaking is one of my favorite animations ever.

I really hope neither of them are the killer, though I highly doubt they are at this point.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh also I forgot to comment on Case 1 as a whole: It felt like a weird start at first, and during the first part of Andi'stahndin's testimony I was kinda not feeling it. By the end though I came around. I loved nailing him and the moment of epiphany about the true way the orb was stolen was a really good one. One minor quibble that was bothering me for a while until it finally got used was the glowing treasure box - I kept expecting to use that to show Ahlbi couldn't have been holding it or Paht Rohl would've seen it glowing! But that never came up. I think it's a slight problem with the way the seance is presented - if you're going to show visuals of the crime it's a bit of a problem if they don't take into account all the details from later in the case that should be present at that point. The lack of any kind of glow when there really should've been threw me a bit.

Still the evidence eventually got used and I got over it so it's okay.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh. The case 3 breakdown.

That wasn't very satisfying... :(

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

SANTA NO!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Case 4 Everything about Geiru. Holy moly.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Case 2: Reintz is totally Robert Downey Jr, right? I'm not the only one who sees this, am I?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i already hate prosecutor sahdmadhi he is a mean bad man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

legoman727 posted:

Case 2: Reintz is totally Robert Downey Jr, right? I'm not the only one who sees this, am I?

I'd be surprised if you didn't.

e:

alcharagia posted:

i already hate prosecutor sahdmadhi he is a mean bad man

He's so delusional and cruel, I love it.